Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

big problem with dragons.help please

+41
nancy!
JENDZS
Leslie
Maaike
Maddi
eva
aussiemarie
Jody Rife
Mr Daizy
AllieDawn
maggie
Shelley_shell
anramire2
barbb919
Painted Dragon
Party Picassos
poizonedpeach
vampkat
Linda Adams
PaintAndGlitter
EVENTERTAINMENTS
Netsirk1976
JBax
pixieface
tanyamaldo119
ablissfulaffair
posterchild
shandi
IamGinaW
jumpers4you
Terina
Kristal
SuzySparkles
rthling
CottonKandyClown
Perry Noia
Psalmbook
sparklingfaces
SillyIzzy
wmeventservices
pike5253
45 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

big problem with dragons.help please - Page 3 Empty Re: big problem with dragons.help please

Post by pixieface Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:08 pm

suh-weet!
pixieface
pixieface

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2010-10-15

Back to top Go down

big problem with dragons.help please - Page 3 Empty Re: big problem with dragons.help please

Post by tanyamaldo119 Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:54 am

Awesome dragon! Love the fine lines for scales.
tanyamaldo119
tanyamaldo119

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2010-08-09

http://www.misstanyasfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:44 am

That's just gorgeous! I love the fine lines & scales! Thanks for sharing!
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by pixieface Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:35 pm

Okay, a little hesitant to post as I'm really struggling with my dragon and not happy with it - but if nothing I've learned from everyone here there is no shame in challenging yourself. So here 'tis after a fair bit of hair pulling and discarded attempts over the last week.

Despite my newbieness I do like one thing - and that's the inspiration to use a pouncer blotter around the eyes to create that horny ridge effect. I know most folks here could do it better justice! But I love how it will help speed the design as I work to simplify and speed it up for practical application.

Used the DFX Jungle Cake colors so nice and vivid.
White and purple are Snazaroo, black is Paradise and gold in eyes is DFX from Tiger Lily cake.

[img]big problem with dragons.help please - Page 3 Dragon10[/img]
pixieface
pixieface

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:13 am

Great job!!!
JBax
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tanyamaldo119 Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:03 am

I don't know why you don't like it. I think it looks great. Like it way better than my dragon mask. Love the colors too! Great job!
tanyamaldo119
tanyamaldo119

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2010-08-09

http://www.misstanyasfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pixieface Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:10 am

Thank you jbax and tanya- LOL - I guess I don't like it as I see all the imperfections and while I seemed when I first started out I could draw nice outlines, it seems lately I've gone all spastic and can't control the brush. I think I need to do about 10 minutes of confidence building before I sit down "yes, I can...yes, I can..." Remember the Little Engine That Could? GRIN.

I love love love the vivid colors but don't think I'll be working too much with the DFX at least initially. What others say about it being waxy and hard to blend as a base is true. I'm hoping the paradise will give me a happy medium of blendability and color. Save the DFX for highlight and spot work. Just thinking out loud. The fact that I'm beginning to recognize the different feels of the paints as I work with it is heartening Very Happy
pixieface
pixieface

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:34 pm

I think it looks great! I love the eyes! DFX blends well if you load the colors next to each other on the sponge. Now I want to play with my mop and see if I can copy that technique! They don't blend easily with a brush. I use mostly dfx w/ my dragon. Thanks for sharing!
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Back to top Go down

Post by pixieface Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:15 pm

Psalm - you are so right. I got my best results doing that - it was very different than Snaz which has been forgiving if I am using one color on the sponge at a time - and then trying to blend. I also went back and watched Silly Heather's video on a boy dragon. Ah, got the horn technique now. That should improve my next version! My outlines practicing looked better after that - but filling in the white over the green (all I have is snaz)...no go. I hope that the dfx white, when I get that. Although, you know - using yellow makes for lime green when it activates the dark green underneath and I thought that's not so bad. I don't think a boy would complain if the horns were a different color than white...hah! What am I saying? I'm the aunt who brings my nephew "good" chocolates which they proceed to spit out because it's not Hersheys - LOL! What do I know about little boys - grin!
pixieface
pixieface

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:04 am

I'll make the horns all sorts of different colors & then do the teeth white. I like to use a filbert brush for horns. I start at the bottom of the horn & hold the brush flat. I then twist the brush as I pull it towards the tip of the horn. It makes quick horns & teeth. I wish I knew how to video. It'd be easier to show.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Back to top Go down

Post by pixieface Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:04 am

Psalm - Thank you thank you thank you for that tip! I just pulled out my paints and tried that. You are right - it gives the fatness I was missing from using a round brush and still gives that rounded look coming out from the skin. Looks like it's going to take some practice though to end that twist right. I hadn't figured out how to use my chisel brush yet so this makes me very happy.

OH - here's a trick I found. My mom is an artist and talked me into buying what is called a script brush. It is very long and thin. I found it awkward to use BUT I found one very excellent use for it. Bar none it makes great realistic whiskers by pushing in the point and then dragging with a little flick at the end. It makes a much better little dimple and thin whisker than my round brushes.
pixieface
pixieface

Back to top Go down

Post by pike5253 Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:37 am

this is what i came up with, what do you think?????
pike5253
pike5253

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2010-10-09

http://www.itsandbits.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pixieface Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:55 am

Hi Linda - the photo posting is tricky. You have to use the icon that lets you upload and image, then when it's uploaded copy the image url you want to use - whether it's thumbnail or to size - and then go back and use the icon that lets you paste in the url for the image. A little convoluted but I want to seeeeeee! :-)
pixieface
pixieface

Back to top Go down

Post by Linda Adams Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:44 pm

Pixie,
(you are being too hard on yourself!)
Awesome Dragon......!!!
I LOVE it, I may just steal it! HAHA!~
Linda Adams
Linda Adams

Number of posts : 563
Registration date : 2009-04-30

http://www.NotQuiteWarpaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pixieface Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:22 pm

Thanks Linda A (blushing) - check out the pouncer thread I started if you haven't - there's a member who posted a pic of a dragon she did with them and I think she really got that 3D effect I was visualizing. Going to keep practicing.

I must admit - even though I won't be using the dfx on the kiddies (or just for a bit of highlight now and again) - you just can't ignore the pop factor of those colors can you?
pixieface
pixieface

Back to top Go down

Post by IamGinaW Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:34 pm

I was trying out some dragon full faces on my kids last night...
big problem with dragons.help please - Page 3 74542_141709769213596_136231506428089_237159_5193553_n
big problem with dragons.help please - Page 3 76503_141709419213631_136231506428089_237156_4996868_nbig problem with dragons.help please - Page 3 149042_141709429213630_136231506428089_237157_4657126_n
IamGinaW
IamGinaW

Number of posts : 1626
Registration date : 2010-09-15

http://facesbygina.com

Back to top Go down

Post by vampkat Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:35 pm

Omg I LOVVEEE the purple one!!
vampkat
vampkat

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2010-06-03

http://www.hennabykat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:42 pm

Gina, those are great dragons! I have a hard time painting the eyes on eyes w/ squirmy kids. I need to give it a try someday.

Pixie, thanks for the script tip. I need to give it a try as my wiskers always end up too fat. I like using the script for whispy swirls & twirls off of flowers.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:44 pm

Wow... we're getting a lot of Linda's on here Very Happy
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Back to top Go down

Post by pixieface Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:28 pm

Oh I love both of them - on the green one the nose is perfect. I so struggled with the nose - I am going to have to try that when I do my next version. And the eyes on the purple just pop out at you! What did you use for the scales?
pixieface
pixieface

Back to top Go down

Post by poizonedpeach Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:48 pm

big problem with dragons.help please - Page 3 Lizz_p17big problem with dragons.help please - Page 3 Lizz_p18

I posted this on the pouncer site but thought I would post it here as well. It's a really quick and easy dragon face. I used a round dotter sponge, or pouncer, and loaded it with yellow first, then rolled the edge of it in blue, then rolled just the bottom edge in black whick gives it automatic depth. I dotted around the eyes and around the mouth, down the nose and across the lips. Orange on the eyelids, add pupils. Outline in black, add the horns and teeth and you are done! I was inspired by Anna at jestpaint.com (or clash the clown) to try this out!
poizonedpeach
poizonedpeach

Number of posts : 234

Back to top Go down

Post by poizonedpeach Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:50 pm

Gina I love your scale effect! Awesome dragons! Smile

And Pixie yours looks great too!
poizonedpeach
poizonedpeach

Back to top Go down

Post by pixieface Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:56 pm

That's the one!!! Thanks for sharing your technique on the pouncer - I hadn't thought about how to load it to get the effect - doh! Going to try that asap.
pixieface
pixieface

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:05 pm

Peach, I do the same loading technique for my 3D jewelry.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Back to top Go down

Post by poizonedpeach Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:52 am

Yes! I love using a pouncer for pearls or other round gemstones, too! I usually only double load them though, like white with blue along the bottom edge for pearls...do you do something different?
poizonedpeach
poizonedpeach

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next