Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie Challenge #2

+13
AngelBare
mslalahoney
Maris-design
Face Painting by Jessica
Facepainting by Tina
l!zzie
Lacey's Faces
Kammy
Valerie A
facesbybelle
Katurah
SimoneDC
amylady222
17 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Newbie Challenge #2 Empty Newbie Challenge #2

Post by amylady222 Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:46 am

Hello!!

I am excited to present this new subject---

Can you guess?

A Tiger! There are two different challenges to this one....

I would like to see you do 2 Tigers
1. Do a tiger with out looking at any picture or 'helps'
2. Watch a few video's study some good tigers and redo it after that. (if you have already gotten a tiger down pat--try doing another style of tiger.)

Post both to see if you have progressed.

If you want to be pushed further you can...

1. Do a 7 minute tiger (Full face)
2. Do a 5 minutes tiger (mask design)
3. Do a 3 minute tiger (eye design)

Time yourself and when the timer goes off--post what you have done--and if you want finsih your face and post again.

I am not going to do this weeks challenge--a close family friend passed away, and it is homecoming, and I am going out of town for a few days....BUT I can't wait to see what you post!!!

I can't wait to see what you do.

PLEASE NOTE that if you post pictures you are willing to hear some suggestions on how to better your work! Smile

Last edited by amylady222 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added the "please note" part)
amylady222
amylady222

Number of posts : 1176
Registration date : 2012-08-04

Back to top Go down

Newbie Challenge #2 Empty Re: Newbie Challenge #2

Post by SimoneDC Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:21 am

Ooooh good one. I'll count my avatar as the "baseline" tiger as I just went at it the day it was painted and will now do some research and paint later in the week. Good thing we went to the zoo last Friday and took some tiger pics Smile Great idea about the timing as well - i tend to lose track of time, so this will be good practice.

Sorry to hear about the passing of your close family friend.
SimoneDC
SimoneDC

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2012-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Katurah Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:12 am

I'll be joining this time around as soon as I fine a brave subject! Very Happy
Katurah
Katurah

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2012-03-12

http://www.katurahpaintspeople.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by amylady222 Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:17 am

Simone-thank you-that is a pretty good starting point! Can't wait to see the "after"..

Katurah--can't wait to see. I borrow my nieces and some friends kids--they are always willing!!

Newbie Challenge #2 Img_3810

this is my very first tiger ever--with out watching a video or even looking at a picture once! SSOOOO bad! Poor girl!

Newbie Challenge #2 Img_4211
This is one I did last night (Hubby went to hang with his friends family so I had some free time with my kids (I didn't go since we have 3 kids and they would be wild at a time like that)--so I was able to somewhat complete part of this challenge)
Still trying to find my style and where exactly the lines should go--but thank goodness for youtube and all of you! Now I am not afraid of a tiger anymore!

amylady222
amylady222

Back to top Go down

Post by SimoneDC Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:45 am

amylady222, awwww, your first tiger is darling! We all need to start somewhere and it has enough of a tiger feel to be fun. Bet the little girl enjoyed being painted.

I adore your rainbow tiger, especially the linework around the eyes and the fangs!!!! Love the teeth and want to try that. I'm always a little afraid of painting around the mouth, but the fangs really make the look.

And isn't YouTube great!!
SimoneDC
SimoneDC

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2012-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by facesbybelle Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:06 pm

Amylady222, nice job on your tiger. I really like the muzzle on your first tiger, and your model is a cutie. Your lines on the rainbow tiger are placed much nicer and the nose is more like an animal's nose. I always get the nose wrong, have to work on it. Laughing
facesbybelle
facesbybelle

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2011-03-20

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Faces-by-Belle/20513790

Back to top Go down

Post by facesbybelle Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:24 pm

Newbie Challenge #2 Face_p13
My first tiger when I started face painting

Newbie Challenge #2 Face_p14
This girl asked me for a rainbow tiger and I remember freaking out because I had never done a tiger on anyone but myself...this was only my second gig Razz

Newbie Challenge #2 Tiger10
Here of course is my third tiger.
I think I improved somewhat but definitely have to keep practicing.
I've been sick with the flu, but I'm starting to feel better so I'll be posting a new one soon.
facesbybelle
facesbybelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerie A Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:39 pm

AmyLady, nice job. Did you use rainbow cake on the rainbow tiger, or just do swirls of colour?

facesbyBelle, what a nice progression of tigers cat ...and are you sure you didn't transpose your age ...you look so young!
Valerie A
Valerie A

Number of posts : 1035
Registration date : 2012-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by facesbybelle Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:55 pm

NieleA, Thank you for the compliment on my tigers and you're really sweet for calling me young! I love you
facesbybelle
facesbybelle

Back to top Go down

Post by amylady222 Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:38 am

I was trying something new--until yesterday all I owned, in paints, one rainbow arty cake and one Black and white arty cake with a few snaz colors from hobby lobby ---So I used a sponge and sponged the rainbow around the outside of the face and used the Snaz white and orange to fill in the middle.
The top picture is from a birthday party -- a little friend of my oldest daughter, and the bottom one is my younger daughter
amylady222
amylady222

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:19 am

Ooh, I might try a rainbow tiger as part of this challenge, as I've never done one before. In fact, I've only ever done two tigers so this is a biggie for me! Laughing The first was a very simple, Snaz-leaflet-style baby tiger which looked SO cute on my son, and the second was the opposite - a full-face tiger on me. The one I ended up having to go shopping in because I timed it wrong. Ahem.

Amylady - at least your first tiger is recognisably a tiger! That's better than many would do, I'm sure. Smile And your rainbow tiger is quite lovely. How do you get the rainbow sponging so neat around the edges?? It's great, and looks very smooth. Any tips would be very appreciated. Oh, and it's so exciting that your kit is growing! Mine's taking on gargantuan proportions now. Oops.

Belle - your first tiger is very good! Definitely better than I did. It's great to see the progression in your designs, and your line work looks more confident in the recent photo. It'd be even better with a little more symmetry, perhaps? I notice that you make the same wee mistake I do with your tiger line work...not getting the brush wet enough, so it trails off and looks dry instead of opaque and solid. I'm glad to see it's not just me who fights with that! Smile Again, your sponge work looks really smooth and artful, and I like the shape of the muzzle and colours you've worked in.

Can't wait to see everyone else's. Great job, all!

Kammy x
Kammy
Kammy

Number of posts : 1408
Registration date : 2012-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Lacey's Faces Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:20 am

Great work everyone! It's so cool to see everyone's progression and how far we have all come.
I'll try to get some tiger faces up as soon as i can. Working on designing a whole new display board for my big Mall Gig on Saturday and it's stressing me out lol.
Lacey's Faces
Lacey's Faces

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2012-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by facesbybelle Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:20 am

Kammy, thanks for the critic I do appreciate it. I have a major problem with symmetry and I honestly don't know if I'll ever over come it. Symmetry is the main reason I hate painting butterflies.
Getting the right consistency of paint on the brush is still a problem, but I have notice I get better results with Tag then I do with Snaz or even Wolfe.
All the tigers I did were Snaz. sunny
facesbybelle
facesbybelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:45 am

I have a major symmetry problem too, particularly on myself as I'm totally blind in one of my eyes. Laughing I can't get Snaz as smooth as you, so consider me impressed (and ever-so-slightly jealous).

And yes, getting the consistency right for line work is hard, as you'll no doubt see demonstrated when I get around to my tigers! I've found Superstar Line Black the best so far. It's really inky and opaque, even when I put a fair amount of water in it.

I haven't tried Tag yet, but I'm lusting after some of their stuff.... Must......not.......spendmoremoney! Very Happy

Kammy
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by l!zzie Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:58 pm

I had symmetry problems too, until I got the golden tip here on FPF to paint your 'bad side' (left for me, because I'm righthanded) first. It's easier to make your good side the same, if you know what I mean?!
Works great for me!
l!zzie
l!zzie

Number of posts : 2256
Registration date : 2011-09-28

http://www.detiskwant.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:54 pm

l!zzie wrote:I had symmetry problems too, until I got the golden tip here on FPF to paint your 'bad side' (left for me, because I'm righthanded) first. It's easier to make your good side the same, if you know what I mean?!
Works great for me!
I read that tip and I'm going to try it - it makes sense! Thank you for reminding me. Smile Of course, none of that helps when I'm painting myself...... Laughing
Kammy
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:51 pm

OK, just finished my first "no reference, etc." tiger. I'm actually sitting here with it on my face while I type, and I've had a few funny looks from the cat. Laughing Here it is:

Newbie Challenge #2 Challe10

Not sure I'll get the "now look at actual photos of tigers and/or tiger face designs" one done tonight as I'm pretty tired, but....have at it, friends! Smile

A Very Stripey Kammy x

Kammy
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by amylady222 Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:11 pm

Kammy--you can look at actual pictures, or you watch videos, look at pictures, as to how to Face Paint a tiger.
Nice 1st Tiger!

Can't wait to see the 2nd one!
amylady222
amylady222

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:17 pm

I know I can now, Amy, but I thought the point of the first tiger (for us real newbies, anyway) was to paint the first one with no reference available?

Thanks for the compliment. I enjoyed doing it! Reallllly loving my Line Black!
Kammy
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by facesbybelle Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:15 am

Wow Kammy, this is your first tiger? Well that's a pretty good first try.
The colors are smooth not streaky, your lines are nice and dark and I love the way you did the teeth.
Sorry about your vision but quite honestly your design is really good.
Can't wait to see your next tiger!!!
facesbybelle
facesbybelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:24 am

It was my first tiger of this challenge! It's actually the second proper tiger face that I've ever painted. Thanks for the encouragement!

As for the lines, I'm getting downright evangelistic about Superstar Line Black. Laughing I love that I can work lots of water into it so it's almost like ink, really runny and flows really easily from the brush....but it's still so damn opaque! No idea how that works, but it does.

Don't know what to do for the next tiger. I'll probably watch some tutorials and see how the lines actually go on a tiger's face, but I'm pretty happy (in general) with the central forehead and muzzle area of my first try.
Kammy
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by l!zzie Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:31 am

This is great!!
Can't wait to see your next one!
l!zzie
l!zzie

Number of posts : 2256
Registration date : 2011-09-28

http://www.detiskwant.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Facepainting by Tina Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:05 am

I notice that nobody puts whiskers on their tigers...is there a reason for that?? Does it make them look less fierce?
Facepainting by Tina
Facepainting by Tina

Number of posts : 447
Registration date : 2012-09-12

http://www.tinassugarshack.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Face Painting by Jessica Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:15 am

I find whiskers make the design look too busy with the stripes. Tiger's whiskers are not noticeable, and they are very thin and light coloured. If you were to put them in the design I would NOT suggest painting them black, as they would look like ill-placed stripes Smile

Newbie Challenge #2 29748910

This is a tiger I've done recently. I like having the stripes flow around the face. Great first tigers everyone Smile
Face Painting by Jessica
Face Painting by Jessica

Number of posts : 644
Registration date : 2012-04-12

http://www.facepaintingbyjessica.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by facesbybelle Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:51 am

Jessica, love your tiger, your lines are perfect. I need to work on my lines and placement of the dots, sometimes I forget to include the dots lol!
facesbybelle
facesbybelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next