Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FABAIC......so who's going?

+45
BumbleBee
Skidzz
tamarielpaints
DeannaB
Smiley813622
Maaike
BluAngL83
paintedyou
Miss Yoko
lclark
leapinglizards
just Tracy
IzzysMom
cc
Jessiesgirl1108
marzack
jendez04
AmberMarie
Lynnie
wmeventservices
Michelle Heffner
Mehndi Masala
SamFantastico
LoneWolf
Painticus
Tracalla
Chonya
Shelley Bellefontaine
WyndyO
SuzySparkles
LillyW
KathyO
funfacesforu
JBax
ruths fab faces
Freckles
Ashley Pickin
ChangingFaceDesigns
Just Jenny
modernmagik
Erica
aprilmoonflower
Mandi from Tazzie
Psalmbook
Linda Adams
49 posters

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

FABAIC......so who's going? - Page 5 Empty Re: FABAIC......so who's going?

Post by jendez04 Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:06 pm

I was at Silly Farm yesterday and Marcela "Mama Clown" was telling me about all the great classes for my 12 year old daughter... BUT... I have 3 other yonger kids! What will I do with them??? I want to go sooo bad!!!
jendez04
jendez04

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2011-03-19

http://www.funfacesbyjennie.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:34 pm

LoneWolf, a slinky little black dress takes up no space at all ;-)

Rebecca, awesome!!! I can't wait to see.

I have a velvet sleeveless evening gown a friend and I made. We call it the "Mae West Dress". I'm thinking of dusting it off for the occasion but am afraid it might be too much.

Kim, there's one other henna artist around here and she is...well, her clients come to me because her personality is so abrasive. That's what I've run into fairly commonly. Not so much the gossip stuff but the insanely inflated ego's and abrasive personalities that come with it. Of course there's the gossip and nastiness, but I'm a performer and work Ren Faires, I'm used to ignoring that stuff.
I can tell you (as a full time artist myself) that adding in fp and bp has been awesome. I actually have employees that I keep pretty busy. It's opened a lot of doors. You will absolutely not be disappointed! I'm also training to be a permanent tattoo artist (and two years ago became a piercer) which is really incredible to see how they go hand in hand.

Hopefully the Orlando sun and warmth will help you shake off the jetlag to make the dinner on Thurs. I live in an area commonly slammed with snow 5 months of the year so I understand the joy in escaping the cold north! lol Smile

Jendez...leave them with a relative and call it a vacation? Wink
Lynnie
Lynnie

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2010-02-09

http://www.artful-body.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracalla Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:40 pm

Lynnie and everyone that's going....we could trade cell numbers and text message our room numbers or just to keep in touch in general. And when you talk about meeting in the lobby is that the convention center lobby or the actual hotel lobby?
Tracalla
Tracalla

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2010-06-25

http://drdrumtastickentertainment.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:05 pm

Jendez I hope you do come with your daughter...my daughter will be there also and she turns 12 in July, so it would be nice to have someone to hang out with.

My flight gets in about 9:15 pm on Weds. so that will probably put me at the hotel around 10:30 or so.
ChangingFaceDesigns
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:12 am

Oooo sorry, hotel lobby since that is where the trolly thing runs from (according to the website).

A number exchange is a very good idea, Tracalla! :-) When it gets closer we'll def have to do that!
Lynnie
Lynnie

Back to top Go down

Post by marzack Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:41 am

okay I'm going to fabiac it's my first year and am NEW to face painting. I have to say I lucked out as it's only an hour and a half from my house. I need anyone's help who has been there before. I've never been to any kind of convention so I have no idea what I'm walking into. Or what I am supposed to do. sign up for early classes? Again I am turning to all of you who have helped me so much already, PLEASE HELP... what should do I looked at the site and am confused!! I am going to feel awkward as I'm not bringing anyone with me and will not know a soul i don't want to miss something I should attend.
marzack
marzack

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2011-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:44 am

Hi Marzack. Smile

This is my first Fabaic but I've been to other cons so I can offer you my advice based on that.

1. Don't freak out. Smile Wink Everyone is super friendly. That struck me right off the bat, actually.

2. When you get your welcome catalogue/packet thingy- sit down and really read about each class. If something stands out to you- take it. If you don't know who an instructor is, look it up online (they all have websites). I had NO CLUE who anyone was at my first convention. I had never heard of any of the instructors (Wolfe Bros, Mark Reid, Jinny, etc... were all strange names to me). If something interests you and you feel like it's "beyond you", take it anyway. You will learn LOADS that way and progress in your art heaps.

3. Don't be afraid to ask questions, of anyone. Walk through the jams and watch people, and ask questions. I didn't do this at the first one I went to and I wish I had have. I hung back and watched quietly, and while I learned, I could have learned so much more if I had have spoken up. I have to tell you, everyone- including most of the pro's, are very warm and approachable. At my first big con Pashur could see how nervous I was and came up to me in the jam room and started talking about my experience there and what arts I do..., and the Wolfe Bros let me sit at their jam table and just watch them work. I had no idea who any of them were at the time but it helped me feel more welcome. Honestly, do not be afraid.

4. Volunteer to be painted by someone you don't know. Not only is it great fun and a good learning experience, it's a great way to meet new people.

5. Take notes. I couldn't possibly remember all the tips and tricks I was being handed, even after I practiced in a class. Taking the time to make notes in a small notebook helps to have something to come back to. Along the same token, take photos. I took photos while the instructors were demonstrating or at each step while I was practicing in the classes so when I got home I had a step-by-step reminder.

6. Come to our FPF dinner on Thursday. You'll be sure to make friends that you can sit with/hang with at the other parties later Wink Also, go to the "welcome" thing in the morning on Thurs (I think that's when it is). It is soooo invaluable!

7. You don't really sign up for classes (unless it's the pre-workshop- and those can be really helpful to a beginner. I'm taking the Jinny one myself because I love her work but there are a couple that would be great for a beginner). You just register and show up to whichever ones interest you. It's really great because you can change your mind at the last minute! Wink

8. Just be relaxed, be fluid and be ready for anything. I've found if I went in with a regimented mindset (which I did the first day of my first con), I spent more time in "ACK!" mode trying to find where things were and not really getting all I could have out of it.

I also have to say it was at my first con that I met Heather (I think she's gamergrl or something like that on here) and we've become close friends. I absolutely adore her and if it weren't for sucking it up and putting myself out there, I'd never have met her. It's a really great thing you're doing! Wink

I am looking forward to meeting you! :-)
Lynnie
Lynnie

Back to top Go down

Post by marzack Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:52 pm

Lynnie -thanks so much and I will be looking for you and all the FPF people there. I have to say that I love this site everyone is so helpful. While nervous I am taking it kind of for granted that the convention will be more of the same. And to be completely honest this site and the people on it is the main reason I'm going. I have only been face painting for about a year(but not that often) it's a lot different than canvas more challenging. It's funny how I thought that just because I could draw and paint this would be sooo easy! i sure learned my lesson and respect the art in a way i never could before. BTW I LOVE IT!! hopefully see you at the con and am taking everything you've said to heart!
marzack
marzack

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:12 pm

It's my pleasure. I didn't even know about the forums when I went to my first con so you are already lightyears ahead of where I was! lol

I can see how going from canvas to body is hard. I had a hard time going from bodies to flat. There were no contours to go with! lol

Please do join us on Thurs at 4:30 for the dinner, we're wearing green and meeting in the hotel lobby. We can definitely meet then. Smile
Yay *waves Kermit arms*
Lynnie
Lynnie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:26 pm

Now that we've got a meet, greet and eat planned...
And we've talked party Wink

What pre-day classes are you taking?

What about workshops/demos? Which ones are you thinking about taking?
Sooooo many to choose from and I'm a bit sad there wasn't a catalogue in the folder I got in the mail. I'm going over the PDF tonight and making some notes so I can decide.
Where do ya'll think you'll be?
Lynnie
Lynnie

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:34 pm

I am still deciding what regular classes I am going to take.

Oh and I just remembered that Thursday is the day I am to take my daughter and her cousin to Disney.......so I may not make it for dinner, but will definitely be at the jam. Now if I can gt one of my siblings or nieces/nephews to take them....then I'm good

guess I need to start buttering them up now
ChangingFaceDesigns
ChangingFaceDesigns

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:02 am

Ahahahaha LOTS of butter Wink

My husband just talked me into entering the face paint competition so I'm freaking out now more than I was before. Yay?
Lynnie
Lynnie

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:13 am

I have not figured out the exact classes I hope to see, but hope to see something with Rebecca, Marcela, Nick Herrera, Wiser, and the list goes on. Looking forward to see the final schedule =)
LoneWolf
LoneWolf

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2008-10-04

http://www.lone-wolf.dk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessiesgirl1108 Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:06 pm

marzack wrote:okay I'm going to fabiac it's my first year and am NEW to face painting. I have to say I lucked out as it's only an hour and a half from my house. I need anyone's help who has been there before. I've never been to any kind of convention so I have no idea what I'm walking into. Or what I am supposed to do. sign up for early classes? Again I am turning to all of you who have helped me so much already, PLEASE HELP... what should do I looked at the site and am confused!! I am going to feel awkward as I'm not bringing anyone with me and will not know a soul i don't want to miss something I should attend.

I just want to add on to your post that I am in the same position as you! I am signed up to go and am nervous as heck. I read on this forum all the time, but usually while I am at work during the weekday so I don't get to interact much. I would like to meet all of you at some point while at the convention, especially Lonewolf, I have been admirring your work from the beginning. I will be arriving there by Tuesday. My parent have a timeshare they are getting for that week so I can bring my kids down and take them to Disney on Wednesday. Then come Thursday I will be learning from the best! Are you all entering the face painting competition? I would like to, but am kind of intimidated as I have only been at this since October and am still trying to tap into my creative side.
Jessiesgirl1108
Jessiesgirl1108

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2010-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehndi Masala Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:53 pm

YOU guys are nervous?!? I have been painting for only 5 months, I've never been to a face painting anything AND I am going to be assistant teaching (thank god this is henna orientated tho cause I have that covered backward and forward or I'd be even more freaked out) AND I'm rooming with the super talented Lonewolf! NO PRESSURE!!!! LOL

Seriously tho...I cannot be more excited!!!!!
Mehndi Masala
Mehndi Masala

Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2010-12-04

http://www.winnipeghenna.com

Back to top Go down

Post by marzack Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:53 pm

It is freaking everyone out it seams in one way or the other so I don't feel so bad. I am thinking of taking the wolfe bros pre-class but as far as the regular classes go I have no clue as I want to take everything that is offered. I am moving to New Orleans with in the year and would really like to get into full body painting as I am sure it would be very profitable during Mardi Gras...Is there a good class for that? I am very excited. i am personally not going to compete this year i'm nervous enough just going. I just hope watching some of them will teach me a lot. This is my first real serious attempt at face/body painting and coming off the linen canvas..so wish me luck. I am sending out my atta boys/girls for all my fellow FPF members who are going to teach/compete. please do let me know when and where I'll be there to not only cheer you on but to learn!!
marzack
marzack

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:36 pm

Hey Marzach, the ladies have given some great advice. This is my second year at Fabaic and I wish I would have done some of those things my first year. On a positive note, I will be in Jacksonville the whole month of May and will be attending the monthly jam there too. Maybe attending the local jam in May would get your feet wet and make you a bit more comfortable.
wmeventservices
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:21 pm

Maybe it's just me, but I really don't know why you guys are so nervous...lolol almost like if someone was going to be grading you on this......breathe breathe inhale...exhale before you make yourselves No

Fabaic 2009 was my very first convention, I was not part of any forums, did not know a soul before I went, had nothing to compare the convention to, and had no clue what to expect.............

But had the absolute bar none greatest time you could possible have at an event. I tell you the only reason I didn't go back in 2010 was because it was right when they were doing the State Basic Skills testing in the schools and I didn't want the kids missing any prep time.

Soooooooo not an issue this year...... cheers

I will admit to succumbing to SBS (shiny ball syndrome) ooooooo ahhhhhh I want that... no I want that over there......but that's so prettyyyy....I need that right there

you get my meaning...lolol
ChangingFaceDesigns
ChangingFaceDesigns

Back to top Go down

Post by Tracalla Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:50 pm

I went last year to only a pre-day class which got me going on doing face painting in the first place! I had only wished after that day, that I was attending the whole darn thing. This is my first year attending the pre-day class and the entire convention and I couldn't be more excited. I'm not sure what i'm more excited about learning new things or meeting all of you!
Tracalla
Tracalla

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2010-06-25

http://drdrumtastickentertainment.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:10 pm

I'm freaking out because my hub talked me into entering the face paint comp. Smile

I just went through the .pdf of classes and chose all the ones I want to take. Interestingly, there was only twice where I couldn't decide so that feels really good. Then again, I'm a libra and prone to change my mind. ;-)

My friend is thinking about signing up to be a model for classes. She's not a painter and going just for the time in the sun. She's only modeled for me before so she's nervous about that but I know she'll do great.
Lynnie
Lynnie

Back to top Go down

Post by cc Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:30 pm

Hi girls, I know EXACTLY how you first-timers are feeling.... I decided to make face painting my business back in August of 2010, and decided to go to the FABULAS convention in Philly just 2 months later. I was so nervous about meeting and being around all the talented people I had read about and seen here on the Forum that I almost talked myself out of going. Boy, am I glad I didn't.... It was a Wonderful experience and I learned so much. I'm a little shy , in person, but I did meet a few wonderful ladies that helped make me feel right at home, and helped me to realize that I didn't need to be "perfect" or even as good as everyone else, because in this business, we're all at different stages of learning...and everyone had to start off as a beginner, at some point. The only thing the conventions and classes do, is make your learning curve increase faster because now you're learning tricks and tips from the "experts" in the field. And these "experts" are the nicest people you would ever want to meet. So, try to get past your nerves...breathe (like was previously stated by the other ladies) and jump in and enjoy the ride! Don't forget your camera and your notebook. And look for me when you get there! Turns out I was able to pull some strings and I WILL be attending the convention as well. Will keep an eye out for you all and try to meet up on Thursday night as well. It's going to be awesome! cheers
cc
cc

Number of posts : 590
Registration date : 2010-09-15

http://www.fabagaba.com

Back to top Go down

Post by marzack Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:28 pm

@WMEVENTSERVICE that sounds like a great idea do you have the info on the jax event in may?
marzack
marzack

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:50 pm

Here's the info.

"We're having our monthly face painting jam at the Woody's BBQ on San Jose
Blvd.

It'll be Thursday , May 12th from 6
- 8:30 p.m. Come at anytime during those hours.

We have our jam the second Thursday each month. All skill levels welcome. Bring your kit and come out and paint.

Email: sherrys.funfaces@gmail.com
phone: 904-742-7612

Hope to see you there!"
wmeventservices
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by marzack Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:31 pm

Oh I am so there. They have a meet in orange park too wow i'm excited to meet everyone. Thank you so much for the info. I thought you were TX so happy to see that your close by Laughing
marzack
marzack

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:42 pm

CC??????? Reallyyyyyyyyy and truly you are going????? Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy my friend will be there..... yayyyyy me (in my London Tipton voice) Those with kids may get that reference....lolol
ChangingFaceDesigns
ChangingFaceDesigns

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next