Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First semi-facepainting gig- lessons learned

+12
Linda Adams
AngieAnders
Ruth
CATZ
poizonedpeach
Perry Noia
Tash
JBM
barbb919
BarbieSmith
Psalmbook
Mehndi Masala
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

First semi-facepainting gig- lessons learned Empty First semi-facepainting gig- lessons learned

Post by Mehndi Masala Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:57 pm

I thought I would share and ask what you all think about my observations and if you have any tips or expansions on what I have noted!

So I did a wonderful henna gig and brought along my face paints figuring I may be able to do face painting at the end as some practice and maybe some portfolio shots. This sorta worked. I made it so that everyone got their henna and once everyone was done they could get ‘seconds’ -if –and only if- I could paint their face first! (As pre-arranged with the hostess, this was at the end of the ‘paid time’) This went over only so-so but ended great.

They pretty much didn’t WANT face paint as they seemed to see this as kinda lame and for kids and wanted to try and wiggle into just getting seconds in henna but no face paint (Do I HAFTA get paint to get more henna??? What if I want more henna but no paint?? Etc.) Once they saw how cool it was, they were all clamoring for it! Hushed oooo’s and ahhh’s and much clicking of cameras from parents – squeals of delight and awe of kids and already had a gig come out of it…for the henna tho. BUT they were very thrilled with what I had done FP wise.

Well I learned so much!

1. Unless you start out painting or the kids are expecting it…they start out less than thrilled...especially if you have no photos to get them interested.

2. If you hold them ‘hostage’ for something else they want, they don’t sit well and are easily distracted as they are not looking toward it looking it’s best.

3. Kids are jaded…if they are over 11, they have seen the bad stuff and assume you may be another ‘volunteer mom’ doing the dot on the nose and 3 strips for whiskers ‘kitty’ that they roll their eyes at. EVEN if they think you are the greatest artist in the world…they do not connect that you may be able to do something OTHER than what they know you for.

4. At this point in my learning curve, teens and adults are ‘easier’ as they know not to move and are less easily distracted *note: this probably changes DRASTICALLY when you add alcohol – but I digress)* I have not mastered the hand on the head and tend towards the fingers on the chin for steadying the kids head. Still needs work.

5. I need to have a ‘cheat sheet’ with me as I did what I did out of memory and things I ‘kinda remember seeing sort of’ and had never actually tried any of the designs myself yet. (this may be where those plastic heads could serve me well so I can actually have the memory of the design)

6. my memory is not as completely horrid as I thought. I did ok for my second time actually painting public faces and not having a game plan other than ‘playing’.

7. When you are excited about your job and love it, people know and recognize that fact! I already knew this, but it was re-enforced with a $50 tip and a booked gig for the future. They paid me to practice on their kids….love it!

8. I need an organized set up. I stuck my own elbow in my paints twice! I'm coveting a Fatmax even more now but still fretting if I'm getting in over my head and still very aware that I should be seeing if I have a market that will warrent that kind of investment.

9. Once kids see it’s FP is cool, they are just too excited to get it done, but still have no patience to have it done.

10. I can do most designs in 5 minutes (brought the timer) but only if they sit still….so that means I’m still far too slow to even THINK about going public. Which is an observation more than an issue…I knew it would take a year or whatever until I am thinking of ordering cards unless I’m struck by a huge learning/speed upswing! BUT I think I’m ok to take private appointments for super detailed adult faces or teen event faces.

11. I have an all new appreciation for those that do this alllll the time! I knew it was going to be hard. I knew it would take a long time to get good at it...but being thrown to the lions has been an even greater eye opener and confirmed how much I have to learn.

Here are 3 that actually got captured on film. Thanks to anyone who read this looong babble and any hints or insights into the above are greatly appreciated!!!

First semi-facepainting gig- lessons learned Img_2512_800x600

First semi-facepainting gig- lessons learned Img_2511_800x600

First semi-facepainting gig- lessons learned Img_2510_800x600

Thank you again to everyone who has posted so much wonderful information and sharing about thier experiences so that we can all learn from it!! XXOO cheers
Mehndi Masala
Mehndi Masala

Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2010-12-04

http://www.winnipeghenna.com

Back to top Go down

First semi-facepainting gig- lessons learned Empty Re: First semi-facepainting gig- lessons learned

Post by Psalmbook Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:45 pm

cheers
Great kick off to your face painting business! You have a very good memory!
It looks like everyone was happy!
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

First semi-facepainting gig- lessons learned Empty Re: First semi-facepainting gig- lessons learned

Post by BarbieSmith Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:19 pm

Hey girl, GREAT work. GET those business cards! You are so ready for take off... NOW! Don't think you need anything else but full immersion... You might be overthinking it by giving yourself more "time" - you ARE doing it, already. And well! Keep it up...
BarbieSmith
BarbieSmith

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2010-07-02

http://www.SweetScentsCandles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by barbb919 Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:36 pm

keep up the good work. and go for it
barbb919
barbb919

Number of posts : 2109
Registration date : 2010-03-23

http://tappysfacepainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JBM Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:42 pm

I agree with Barbie. Jump in and do it!!! Vistaprint are offering all sorts of xmas freebies so you can get cards supercheap!

I got thrown to the lions as well so to speak - I got a henna booking that wanted face painting as well so I had a few weeks notice to learn. Thank goodness I stumbed across this forum in week 1!

Now it seems I have more bookings for face painting than henna which is a bit sad but I think its a demographic thing more than anything cause there is a baby boom in town. One thing I struggled with and am slowly working out is how to marry the two in a ppf festival/market set-up. My henna gazebo is set up with comfy cushions, chairs etc and is kinda opulent and inviting so people are encouraged to sit and relax until the design is totally dry (often it is quite full but that creates atmosphere and then people see a full tent and more people come for henna so it works.) I got the idea from the lady I learned henna from who runs a business called Henna Harem so I've kinda taken the harem inspiration...

Now facepainting is an in and out affair but with much more paraphenalia and a seemingly constant line. And some kids want henna and FP. I've sort of split my tent in 2 so I have FP one side and henna chill area on the other. And at full day events I've noticed FP is big in the mornings and henna picks up in the arvo/evening. I've had to play with my setup quite a bit at home and I think organisation is key but nothing beats on the job learning.

Good luck and I love your pics!
JBM
JBM

Number of posts : 629
Registration date : 2010-10-18

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Henna-by-Riana/149537191765171?ref

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:17 pm

great post! and great pictures too!
I had a look at your site and your Henna is mind blowing so I'm not really surprised you picked up face painting so quickly. I know there are some Major differences but in the end it's a whole lot of teardrops and swirls and tiger stripes...
I don't think 5 mins is slow..... I paint 5 mins a kid at birthday parties beacuse I like to have little conversations with the kid in my chair and make them comfortable and enjoy the whole experience, so that takes time... at a festival I tend to pump them out a little faster but not much faster as it becomes unenjoyable for me and them... and my work gets comprimised. I figure if they waited over half an hour in line they deserve at least five mins with me making them feel special. With the exception of those really difficult kids who you can't wait to get out of your chair.
5 mins when the kid won't look at you or keep still is not very long to pull off a decent looking design.
Some will disagree with me here.... I know Perry for example can pull of great things in 3 mins a kid.
I have been doing this for over a year and it's only now that my speed is picking up... mainly because I'm tough on myself and Try to limit details, glitter and gems.
You can easily start booking gigs straight away, you are so great at body art.... and now you have a few pics to show the kids how great Face painting is and get them lining up for you!
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:22 pm

** ooo I forgot to say that top mask/princess is awesome I was thinking it would look even better with a metalic base like silver and pink.....
Just a thought as something to try..... Very Happy
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:31 pm

I can do most faces in 3 minutes, BUT I know that I'm not one of the BEST painters out there... as a clown, I focus on the younger kids more who will have it smudged in two minutes anyway and can't sit still for more than 5 minutes on a good day.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with 5 minutes a face... 10 minutes and well, it had better be a friggin masterpiece, but that's just my humble opinion LOL

Your pictures look great for just starting out, dive on in, the water's fine Very Happy
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by poizonedpeach Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:02 pm

you look plenty ready to me!! the best way to get "ready" is experience! Don't keep yourself on hold!
poizonedpeach
poizonedpeach

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2010-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by CATZ Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:03 pm

I think you just have extremely high expectations of yourself. So, transfer that to great faith in yourself and go for it. Your henna is amazing and think about how long it took you to get there. With anything it takes time to get better, but that's the best part...you keep learning. We'd be bored if we were 'done' right at the beginning. You have a great start and advantage due to your henna experience. Don't let it stall you though. BELIEVE! cheers
CATZ
CATZ

Number of posts : 887
Registration date : 2009-10-04

http://www.CATZfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruth Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:51 am

u did great, go for it!!
Ruth
Ruth

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2010-11-07

http://www.wix.com/delightfulcreations/byruth

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:05 am

You did great! You'll get quicker as you gain confidence and just with practice. I think 5 minutes per design is acceptable, so for you to already be at that stage is really wonderful. You'll only get faster! The designs you shared are cute and well done! Thanks for sharing. Smile
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehndi Masala Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:46 pm

Thanks for the wonderful words of support guys! I think the 3 things that I have to resolve before I have the confidence in my abilities and feel comfortable charging so that I am actually giving my clients what they paid for are:
*getting a set up that is organized and 'feels good'
*having about 6 designs I can do in my sleep that I can put on a cheat sheet
*a bit more research under my belt when it comes to stories of others gigs. I am a firm believer of learning from others mistakes. You will still make your own and discover new and interesting ways that things can still go wrong, but why repeat past issues? If someone resolved and issue that could reasonably come up for you and they did it well....learn so you have less to worry about and have a good resolution in the back pocket. "OH I've heard of this *place a FP pro name here* had this happen to her and she.....*place resolution to issue here*"

Now even in saying that, I think that I can satisfy most of that criteria with some more research and a bit more practice. A friend of mine has connections at my temple and suggested that I may be able to have access on a sunday to FP some of the kids in Hindi class after lessons on a sunday!! I'm SO taking her up on this!! And of course....as I think Barbie mentioned FULL IMMERSION! Toss yourself in the water and you WILL learn to swim!

Thanks again to everyone and I'll keep you updated on my beefs and my bonus days!!
XXOO

Thanks again to everyone
Mehndi Masala
Mehndi Masala

Back to top Go down

Post by Linda Adams Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:46 pm

Thanks for posting the photos Kim,......and you did AWESOME from memory!
Holy smoke!!
As far as I'm concerned, as artists we are always the most critical of our own work, especially if we want to get better & grow as an artist!
I think you are going to ROCK at this!
Linda Adams
Linda Adams

Number of posts : 563
Registration date : 2009-04-30

http://www.NotQuiteWarpaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CATZ Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:01 pm

You're in the right place on this forum then Very Happy We ain't shy about sharing our mistakes! LOL
CATZ
CATZ

Number of posts : 887
Registration date : 2009-10-04

http://www.CATZfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pixieface Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:58 pm

Thanks Kim! Having done my first "gig" (for lack of a better word) Saturday I am completely in agreement with you about being organized and having some designs I could do in my sleep. Your photos are awesome and I agree with the others - way too hard on yourself. I wish mine had only turned out half as well. Those darn princesses for some reason are kicking my tush. But there's no better way to learn I think than DOING it. I had practiced for several months and doing things on myself or the practice head was nothing like doing it in public on other people :-) I think these observations are such a great help! Love your dragon!
pixieface
pixieface

Back to top Go down

Post by Terina Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:58 pm

[quote]I think the 3 things that I have to resolve before I have the confidence in my abilities and feel comfortable charging so that I am actually giving my clients what they paid for are:
[quote]

Okay so I may not have done the quote box right but...why aren't you charging? I read our reasons but...Your work is great and you are very talented. Most of the time people don't know what to expect. I started out with a wooden art case from Hobby Lobby filled with 18 ml discs of Snazaroo paints. and the cheap $10 brush set. I charged...you should too! Very Happy

Now how do I do this quote box right????
Terina
Terina

Number of posts : 616
Registration date : 2010-09-27

http://www.royalmagicevents.com

Back to top Go down

Post by IamGinaW Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:20 pm

Terina wrote:Now how do I do this quote box right????
The opening code is correct, but the last part has to have a slash after the 1st bracket. It's like this: [/quote]
IamGinaW
IamGinaW

Number of posts : 1626
Registration date : 2010-09-15

http://facesbygina.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehndi Masala Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Thanks to everyone for thier support! And to answer one gal, I am waiting to purchase some sparkly cakes for this but as of now just have some basic snazaroo and a bit of 'sample' Paradise white and black. I'm really looking forward to trying to 'bling' some of the patterns right out!

I have not 'charged' per face yet as a stand alone face painter, but I am not doing it for free either. When I am hired as a henna artist, I've been taking it with me as a 'side' for those kids that are too young for henna or for those that would like it 'instead of' so I may build my portfolio of faces. At one party I used the henna at the end of my paid time as a 'bribe' to get to do the faces!! "You can have a second henna *IF* I can paint your face" LOL But I will probably promote it on it's own 'legs' in the future....timeframe unknown. I figure once I can pound out a lion, butterfly, princess, 'lizard/dragon' and skull in 5 mins and under and have a portfolio of cheek, half face and full face (not huge, maybe 15 each) that look good, I will start out slow. I am in the prep tho. Designing cards and I already have a little 'banner'. I'll post it up in my gallery! It is the first draft and I feel it may be too 'busy', but I do like it. I will revisit in a week and see what I may want to do better. (picture it in 3 feet x 2 feet - give or take)
Mehndi Masala
Mehndi Masala

Back to top Go down

Post by Terina Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:27 pm

Thanks for the quoting tutorial...I am not a very computer literate person.LOL!

BTW I like your Website it is really nice!
Terina
Terina

Number of posts : 616
Registration date : 2010-09-27

http://www.royalmagicevents.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehndi Masala Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:35 pm

Terina wrote:Thanks for the quoting tutorial...I am not a very computer literate person.LOL!

BTW I like your Website it is really nice!
I'm unsure if you meant my website or not...but if you meant mine, thanks!! Very Happy I do it myself. I'm a bit funny about somebody playing with my 'brand' if you will. I design my cards, banners, website and just about everything else! EXCEPT the covers of my books. That's left to my publishers - but I know they have my best in heart and it pays for them to do a good job as it =$ in sales.

And in this thread I though I would share a mini-triumph! I did my first 'eye' character yesterday and my first half butterfly and I have to say, I like them both!!
First semi-facepainting gig- lessons learned 157036_470361990043_22597255043_6178699_3499097_n

First semi-facepainting gig- lessons learned 63258_472785591015_550376015_6252963_4031904_n

I'm getting a hair faster and more confident in my brush strokes. Did this on my inner arm in no time flat....wish I had timed it!
First semi-facepainting gig- lessons learned 156598_472785386015_550376015_6252960_4398565_n

Thanks again (and again and again) for everyone's support! You guys really know how to motivate!!
Mehndi Masala
Mehndi Masala

Back to top Go down

Post by pixieface Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:18 pm

Love the reindeer esp!
pixieface
pixieface

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehndi Masala Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:27 am

Thank Pixieface! I had only seen them and had thought "Gee...don't know if I ever want to try that....I'd never get the eye right" and the kid asked for something 'funny - like a clown' and I figured what the heck! Christmas theme and I was so happy to get it right! Would have liked more detail but I was pretty happy with it!
Mehndi Masala
Mehndi Masala

Back to top Go down

Post by michellesfantasyfaces Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:30 am

they look great and your avatar too..did you make it?

I'm also not so fast...5 minutes is a good time to paint a kid...
michellesfantasyfaces
michellesfantasyfaces

Number of posts : 3190
Registration date : 2010-02-18

http://www.fantasyfaces.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:38 am

cheers Amazing stuff!
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next