Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What I learned in my first week of facepainting

5 posters

Go down

What I learned in my first week of facepainting Empty What I learned in my first week of facepainting

Post by kaferrell Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:44 pm

First of all, I want to say thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone who has shared on the forum. I have lurked here for 18 months and this is my first post. I have read and learned everything I needed to know about the art and business of face painting. And yes, I think I have read every post on here, some of them multiple times. I still have much to learn, but I finally felt comfortable enough to paint at my first paid event. It was an Easter festival this past weekend, 4 hours, pay per face. I was a smashing success, made a little cash, got to finally paint someone other than myself or my husband, and put myself out in my community as professional face painter. Here are some things I learned:

1. At pay per face events, you NEED an assistant/line manager. The young lady I had with me helped me tremendously; she took the money, helped the kids pick designs, cleaned brushes if I needed, talked me up to the crowd for other events, handed out business cards- all without being asked. I couldn't have done it without her. So for very busy events, get an assistant and pay them- they are worth the money.

2. Don't overthink how good you are- half of the battle is just being there with paint! I thought some of my stuff was crappy- and they got the biggest smiles! Kids really do just love to be painted, and it doesn't have to be perfect. They will probably love it anyway.

3. You aren't just selling art- you're selling YOU! I had a great time! We laughed, smiled, sang with the bands (playing nearby) talked with the kids and the parents- it was so much fun! And if you have fun, the kids will have fun. Create a fun experience along with great face painting and people will want what you are selling.

4. This I learned after- don't under value yourself. I was excited to get an email from a lady who wanted me to paint for her daughter's birthday party. She was at the weekend event and loved my work. So I quoted her a price. She didn't want it. She wants me to paint approx. 40 kids in 1 1/2 - 2 hours for $125.00 I explained that it isn't enough time, for that many kids, even with simple/easy designs, and that it is far below my rate. I countered her offer and am waiting for a response, which will probably be a no. Face painters in my area are notoriously underpaid and people here have gotten used to getting it cheap/free. I've seen artists do amazing work for tips and watched people put coins in their cups. I'm not willing to do that. I have put too much time, effort and money into my paint, learning, setup, supplies, insurance, advertising...... I'm not going to give it away.

So, thank you Metina, and all you wonderful artists here on FPF. I don't know if I will be a frequent poster now.....but I will continue to read everyday. And I hope to maybe get to meet some of you in the future. The forum has provided a great resource for learning and information. If you are new, I advise you read all you can. If there is a question about the world of face and body art SOMONE has posted on here. Trust me, I know!

Blessings,
Karen

kaferrell

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2014-11-26

Back to top Go down

What I learned in my first week of facepainting Empty Re: What I learned in my first week of facepainting

Post by jlirie Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:11 pm

congratulations on your "debut", glad to hear everyone had fun Very Happy hope you get your business going well, and part of that you already know - how much time it will take to do good face painting, and what it's worth.
jlirie
jlirie

Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

What I learned in my first week of facepainting Empty Re: What I learned in my first week of facepainting

Post by fesspenter Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:17 am

I love it here!
I am learning so much from other artists, all the time.
xoxoox
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:52 am

Hi and welcome!
Kris5115
Kris5115

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Affordable Face Magic Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:54 pm

Welcome kaferrell...This forum is an awesome resource! Keep practicing...ALWAYS!
Affordable Face Magic
Affordable Face Magic

Number of posts : 846
Registration date : 2011-09-28

http://www.affordablefacemagic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down