Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Facepainter Costume?

+24
Kitty's Make-up Studio
Beans
Wildcatfin
LoneWolf
Magic
contrachapado
Dynamike
Erica
LillyW
aprilmoonflower
starponysmama
KathyO
CPFaces
WyndyO
PatB
squiggle
Ashley Pickin
Metina
Lady Jayde
MandiIlene
Perry Noia
Kristal
JBax
Fanie
28 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Facepainter Costume? Empty Facepainter Costume?

Post by Fanie Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:28 am

I hope I'm posting this in the right section. Just switch this if it's not okay. Smile

So, I just came back from a facepainting event and the other makeup artist had a -great- costume. She had it made by a friend.

I thought it was awesome but, at the same time, I was wondering: "Hey, shouldn't you charge more to a client if you include such a great costume?" I'd love to get a costume like that, but I know it can cost a little fortune to get one made.

If we compare with clowns, it is their job to get a costume and into character. But for makeup artist? And as I get older, I know I don't always feel like wearing a costume. :-/ I don't mind adding little accessories, but a full costume?

Not to mention the change of season. We get 4 seasons here and I can't always wear the same costume because of the weather (May be too hot or too cold.) . And there's holidays!

What do you think about this? I understand getting a great costume make you different from the competition. That's one point. But getting a costume require more money and facepainting is already so expensive. Not to mention all the time we put in getting better at it.

Shouldn't there be some common-sense "rules" about the costume for facepainters?

What do you think of this? I'd like to hear your opinion.
Fanie
Fanie

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2009-11-21

http://www.fanie.ca

Back to top Go down

Facepainter Costume? Empty Re: Facepainter Costume?

Post by Guest Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:47 am

I used to clown... Facepainter Costume? Icon_clown but I was a face painting clown, not a performing clown. I killed her off a couple of years ago because people would keep booking the her even though all they got was the SAME service I provided as just me.

It added a good hour or more to MY prep time (make-up & costume) and costs. To start with I didn't charge more for her, but the last year or so I that I still offered her I upped her fee by $50/hour over "mine" and people STILL booked her instead of me!! (I'm beginning to sound a little "off" here aren't I... Facepainter Costume? Icon_scratch ... Shut-up Jeanette!)

I actually do offer (in very fine print, buried on my website) "Characters" for an additional fee - witch, pirate, fairy, princess, gypsy, belly dancer, clown, alien, etc. I buried it so well that no one requests it... Facepainter Costume? Icon_cheers

Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE dressing up! And designing and making costumes... I just don't like getting "done up" before every gig! And then there is the comfort issue...

But if someone specifically requests a certain character I'll add a surcharge to cover the extra time and effort and costs involved to me.

It really is a PERSONAL choice... and it is all about FUN... Fun for you and fun for your customers. If someone wants to dress for the role, great! And I do sometimes. If you don't that's cool too... be comfortable but professional.

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:00 am

I would agree. Costuming reguires extra effort/ expense/ cleanup/ pizzaz, and should be figured into the package.
I love costumes, but I don't think I'd want to work in one.
But, you could offer different themes. Like a fairy godmother for princess party, or pirate, or something. Could add to the offering. Trick is to figure out how much to charge.

Hey Shannon! How's about showing us some of those belly dancing moves? Oh la la!
JBax
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristal Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:31 am

I usually work in costume, and it doesn't bother me, nor do I charge extra. I offer three - princess, pirate, ragdoll - but it's not a show, nor do I do anything particularly character-y.

The way I feel, it isn't much different time-wise to pull on my ragdoll stuff versus regular clothes plus having my face painted. (Maybe also because it seems to take me just as long to decide what to wear if I'm in regular clothes - I don't have a "uniform"!) I worked at an event company before this, so I guess not wearing a costume wasn't an option I'd thought of, haha.

My princess dress I found before a clothing drive, same with the base of my pirate costume - I had an underbust corset made for that - and I made my ragdoll outfits myself.

One thing I don't do is a fairy - I loathe wearing the wings! Last time I did, I knocked things off of the table half a dozen times, and that was it, haha.

I'm doing a price re-vamp soon (taking place after the Vegas convention), so I'll have a think of whether I want to do anything differently...
Kristal
Kristal

Number of posts : 1587
Registration date : 2009-03-10

http://www.faceaballoonza.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:27 am

So, I'm coming at this from the other side I guess. I started as a clown doing balloons and added face painting afterward. To me, for face painting events, it is advertising my main services and it is a uniform. I like uniforms so that I don't have to worry about what to wear and try to keep my whole wardrobe in "workable" condition. Do you have one or two outfits that you always wear to gigs? You could easily make that outfit and make it a more costumed look... I know a few face painters who wear scrubs in a particular pattern, big hats, funny shoes... whatever works for you is fine, it depends on the image you want to put forward to the public. Are you fun and kid-friendly? Elite professional? Girly-girl sparkly? You don't necessarily have to take on a character if you aren't a clown, but a slightly eccentric outfit helps you to stand out as someone special at events and not just another patron.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by MandiIlene Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:49 am

I have recently decided that in lieu of a costume I am only going to buy purple clothing from now on for gigs. It's my favorite color and my cards are purple. I am trying to brand myself as the purple lady. I also bought a bunch of bandanas and plan to wear them for all events. Again, I am in a small town and people tend to remember things like that, mostly because I am one of two face painters in town without calling over to Orlando,(an hour away) which people will PAY a lot more for.

Being in central Florida it is too dang hot 75% of the year to wear anything more than a t shirt and capris/shorts. But I am gaining on the losing weight battle (-40 this year) and hopefully by next summer I won't be the olne sweating my butt off all the time!

~*~Mandi~*~
MandiIlene
MandiIlene

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2009-11-04

http://www.MandiIlene.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:51 am

Shannon Fennell wrote:I used to clown... Facepainter Costume? Icon_clown
It added a good hour or more to MY prep time (make-up & costume) and costs. To start with I didn't charge more for her, but the last year or so I that I still offered her I upped her fee by $50/hour over "mine" and people STILL booked her instead of me!! (I'm beginning to sound a little "off" here aren't I... Facepainter Costume? Icon_scratch ... Shut-up Jeanette!)

Okay...I won't say it....

But I can certainly think it....

And I'm thinkin' it right now! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Jeanette
(the one who thinks Shannon's epiphany about 'off-ness' is a little late in coming) oops!

Last edited by Lady Jayde on Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : just 'cause)
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanie Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:13 pm

Wow, thank you for all your fast and interesting replies! Smile

So far, what I'm thinking right now, is that perhaps I'll get an interesting "basic" outfit for Facepainting. I already have a colorful pair of overalls all made of Pareo patches but I need to repair it as it's getting old. Almost 10 years of facepainting will do that to your costumes! :p
I don't know if I still want to use it as people would sometime call me a "clown" when I wore it. Rolling Eyes I love clowns but clients said it in a a depreciative kind of way... I guess I should just not care too much about this and find a quirky reply for this kind of comment.

Facepainter Costume? 4166801556_0057525005
Here it is to give you an idea. :p It needs to be a little "refreshed" and I still like it, I guess I just need change!

Mandi, I love your branding idea and already thought about doing something similar. I've been thinking about using a sky-blue color since it's my favorite. Smile Yep, I think I'll do that!

After reading what you've all written, I think I could start with offering a "Basic facepainter" with a simple costume or a "Themed facepainter" with a little extra. (Princess or Pirate, something like this.)

By the way, did any of you sometimes work for events organisation company and/or other facepainters? Do they ever ask you to have a costume?

A friend of mine once told me the event coordinator told her that the costume she had wasn't enough. She had a Christmas-themed vest which seemed more than fine to me, but they wanted a -better- costume! Mmph! :-/

I think that if they want us to have a good costume as well, they should pay us more as well! I'm sure they charge they client an extra for this. If they don't, then they should!

What do you think?
Fanie
Fanie

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2009-11-21

http://www.fanie.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:28 pm

If the client REQUESTS specific items to be worn then by all means tell them there is a charge for it! As long as it isn't your "usual".

I like those overalls!! I get called a clown all the time in the summer - I usually wear aloha shirts, black embroidered capris/knee pants, striped socks and matching tops, etc. and my face is painted.

Winter is white turtle neck, black slacks, and a festive/seasonal vest (I have several with applique or embroidery).

And belly dancing moves... well, I hear there is a video from Living Canvas (we all went to a Moroccan restaurant for dinner one night and I got up and danced with the belly dancer that was performing...)

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:28 pm

I had some shirts made with my busines name on them in four colors. Pink, blue, brown and black. I just wewar these with jeans. I also had some visors and aprons made with the same logo embrodiered on them.

I also wear the shirts out and have had people ask me for my cards when seeing it. I have also started wearing the "Professional Face Painter" shirt as well to mix it up.

The one thing that I love about being a face painter is a feel like I can buy some of the weirder clothing that I wouldn't have normally and get a way with it. I recently bought this shirt from sears that is all colorful and frilly with gems and such. Almost clown like. I might wear it on gigs when the cotton is just too hot.
Metina
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:31 pm

Facepainter Costume? Icon_lol Yeah Metina... that's it exactly!

I always check out Goodwill for really loud tops to use as smocks or cover-ups!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Pickin Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:36 pm

I don't really have a costume, per-say, but I definitely have a "look."

My usual outfit includes black slacks, bright colored polo shirt(w/ contrasting bright colored long sleeve tee if it's chilly,) funky shoes(one of my fav things! I have ones with bananas on them, boston terriors on one, rainbow ones, polka dot ones, balloon dog ones, skulls, etc.) and then I wear bright socks, a bright colorful apron, and depending on my mood a hat maybe. My hats have big feathers and pins on them.

ANYWHO, that's what I normally wear painting, but lately I've scaled it back to just neutral colors and khakis. Not by choice mind you, but because I've gained a lot of weight this past year and none of my clothes fit anymore!

I think we should post pics of us in our "uniforms!"
Ashley Pickin
Ashley Pickin

Number of posts : 838
Registration date : 2009-06-27

http://www.picnpaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by squiggle Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:07 pm

I have a fairy costume that I wear without the wings when I'm painting, and my daughter is a "punk" fairy- she wears her wings as they are supposed to look tattered and torn and she likes the look!
Facepainter Costume? S_dawn-n-sav-fairies
Facepainter Costume? S_savannah-fairy

But we are also putting together an outfit with just jeans or shorts or capris (it's normally very hot and humid here except in the months of Dec and Jan) with t-shirts and colorful aprons.

The little kids are entranced by the costume and will sit very still watching me while I paint them, so I'm still going to keep a really colorful hat and stuff like that to keep them still!
squiggle
squiggle

Number of posts : 787
Registration date : 2009-11-11

http://www.awesome-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:08 pm

on the topic of belly dancing... I did a gig last summer called "Kids' Fringe" where I was doing face painting, balloons and clown stage shows... there was also a stage show with a belly dancer who brought the kids up on stage to teach them some belly dancing moves. Several times during the week, she had me come up on stage with the kids and well, as a clown, I couldn't possibly be SERIOUS in trying to do that stuff (wouldn't have really shown through my huge costume anyway) so as they were all belly dancing I was doing the pony, the swim, the chicken dance, whatever. Wink
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Back to top Go down

Post by PatB Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:45 pm

I LOVE color but I also love looking 'professional'. I like to wear a mock turtleneck with a nice pair of slacks or jeans and I wear colorful aprons over everything. They're quick and inexpensive to make (a lot of patterns available online) and add just enough 'fun'. Sometimes I make matching muffin caps and simple flowers to go on the cap OR the apron.
PatB
PatB

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:55 pm

I don't know why, but I really like the looks of the 50's style bowling shirts... it'd be really cool if I could find one of those in a great color, put my name on it, maybe embroider a great logo on back. I hate to bowl... I just love the fashion. Razz
JBax
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:59 pm

Hey.. that's MY idea!! I've been wanting to get black/turquoise bowling shirts done for years... just don't have any local sources and I don't order without trying for size!!

Back to top Go down

Post by WyndyO Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:53 am

I want to dress up more.....and have a few costumey things for themed occasions or parties. (My unused elf!!!, My renaissance pirate wench, and assorted hair fluff feathers, boas, silly necklaces and earring! and drag queen lashes!!! (My fave!!! but sadly don't get to wear them much!!!0

Usually it is HOT 80 to 90% of the year so I have a hot pink and black striped short sleeve, long torsoed,square neck ruched tummy shirt I can wear with black slacks, jeans or capris. I also have a few nice black cotton short sleeved shirts and a few brightly colored feminine cut short sleeve polo button neck shirts. (Did someone say boring??!)

Facepainter Costume? Wyndyp10

Facepainter Costume? Wynkis10

Ooooh ooooh !!! Ashley I want to see your shoes!!! pretty pleeeeeaaaasee!
WyndyO
WyndyO

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://www.wowfactorypaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CPFaces Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:55 pm

I usually wear basic clothing with fun accessories. I like all black and jeans. I buy Hanes tshirts in solid colors from ACMOORE when they have a 5/$10 sale. I have lt.pink, lt.blue, purple, quite a few black etc. I wear jeans and if it is very warm I wear bermudas. I try to make sure that my clothing is modest but fun and that it doesnt take away from the art that I have painted on my face. I like the regular hanes tshirts bcuz they are comfy(cheap!) and you dont have to worry about flashing cleavage, and the bermudas are short enough to wear in the summer but not too short to be indecent. I wear big earrings, the funkier the better! I have found them for $1 in some places. I have been asked if I could come to parties dressed in the theme. I dont charge for it but I also dont get too dressed up for the party, I will paint my face to match the party and wear colors that match but I emphasize that I am not a character and do not tell stories or anything like that(babysitting while the adults take a break!)
CPFaces
CPFaces

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-11-30

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyO Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:21 pm

I wear a very color full short sleave shirt that has lots of parakeets and I have a big pink fabric flower that all the kids asks if it squirts Very Happy . I also place tags that have funny sayings on them on my shirt as well. The one I like best of all has the saying "OICURAQT" on it and they try to sound it out thinking it is my name , LOL. I usally wear black pants. I am going to be making some colorful aprons and I want to make a colorful vest for the wedding receptions and other evening parties that I do.
KathyO
KathyO

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by squiggle Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:31 pm

I found a great deal at Queensboro for embroidering my logo on some colorful aprons. The embroidered logo was $25 but they had a promotion going on and so I was able to get my logo embroidered for free! Just had to pay for the aprons, and I had to buy a minimum of 4, which works out perfectly! I bought one white, one green, one red, and one blue. The aprons were around $13 each.

Here's the logo I'm having them embroider on the bib of the apron:
Facepainter Costume? S_SS-logo
squiggle
squiggle

Number of posts : 787
Registration date : 2009-11-11

http://www.awesome-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:43 pm

here's an option if you are interested in getting a cute apron
http://mooseburger.com/onlinestore/index.cgi?code=3&cat=16

you can also design your own at www.cafepress.com
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Back to top Go down

Post by starponysmama Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:47 pm

LOVE TO YOU PERRY! LOL
starponysmama
starponysmama

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2009-06-16

http://www.facepaintingtallahassee.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CPFaces Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:58 pm

Thanks Perry! I love this:

http://www.cafepress.com/+craft_paints_are_not_face_pai_tote_bag,301608402
CPFaces
CPFaces

Back to top Go down

Post by CPFaces Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:00 pm

These are also very cute!

http://t-shirts.cafepress.com/face-painter
CPFaces
CPFaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next