Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cruise Face Painting

+3
Luvs to paint
rthling
MandiIlene
7 posters

Go down

Cruise Face Painting Empty Cruise Face Painting

Post by MandiIlene Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:27 pm

I just got back from face painting with Sixth Star Entertainment. I worked on Royal Caribbean's Allure of the Seas. I had a wonderful time and the lines weren't crazy long and I was not asked to work more hours like I had been warned by other painters.

Has anyone else painted for any other cruise lines? I am interested in doing this again, but would love shorter cruises. Does anyone know how to get put on the 3-4 day trips or have any other comments in general about cruise painting?

~*~Mandi~*~
MandiIlene
MandiIlene

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2009-11-04

http://www.MandiIlene.com

Back to top Go down

Cruise Face Painting Empty Re: Cruise Face Painting

Post by Guest Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:38 pm

I think Sixth Star is the only company hiring face painters? So they'd be the ones to ask.

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:39 pm

I'm glad you had a good time. Did you have to teach a session? Apparently that's the new rule and some folks are upset about it.
I haven't done it yet, but I've been approved.
Did you have to paint while in port?

Love your avatar, BTW!
rthling
rthling

Number of posts : 1830
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MandiIlene Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:33 pm

I was with Sixth Star, but my friend took a cruise a while ago for 5 days and said her kids were painted. But when I asked they only did 7 day cruises.

I did do a face paint demo. I just told them about supplies needed in order to paint and demo-ed a few designs for them. It was no biggie. The 20 minute demonstration is in lieu of a 2 hr paint session, so I wasnt complaining!

No long lines, easy to cut off at the end, the balloon twister worked with me and was very nice. I brought disposable sponge wedges and alcohol to dip my brushes and hand sanitizer. People were nice and I was able to put out a cup with dollars in it, as long as it didnt say tips. Only paint the days they are at sea.

Thanks Rthling Smile
MandiIlene
MandiIlene

Back to top Go down

Post by Luvs to paint Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:18 am

I've been approved by them, just haven't been able to find the time for it. MandiIlene, do you actually get tips? Were you hit with any hidden fees or charges? I wasn't sure it would be worth going this route for a cruise or just going as a regular customer. Pros and cons?
Luvs to paint
Luvs to paint

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by bahacca Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:06 pm

If they only paint the days you are at sea, then odds are that is the reason you are not put on the 3-4 day cruises.  A lot of the 3 night itineraries and some of the 4 nights do not even have sea days.  After being on a Disney Cruise and being on their online board for about a year I can tell you Disney Cruise line does NOT offer face painting on any of their cruises, so that line is out.  My guess is that only the larger ships which cater more to the family dynamic will ever offer jobs to face painters.   RC, Princess and Carnival would be my only other guesses as to lines that MIGHT offer.  But you couldn't pay me to get on a Carnival ship as a passenger, let alone as a worker;-)

bahacca

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2013-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by MandiIlene Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:08 pm

I got about $70 in tips the whole week. Not great, but not nothing. The payment through Sixth Star is $280 when you book the cruise, then on the ship you pay for alcoholic drinks and at the end of the week they put tips for the steward/waiters on your tab. Its about $96/person for tips ($12 a day) but you can choose to change that amount. So basically two people cruised for $472 and the usual amount for the cruise I just went on was about $1200 a person, not including tips. So would have been $2,592 for the two of us including tips. 

I worked about 11 hours total.

We were waited on hand and foot, ate gourmet food to our hearts content, enjoyed amazing shows, met some awesome people, embarrassed ourselves with karaoke and lounged on beaches in the Caribbean. It was very much worth it! 

~*~Mandi~*~
MandiIlene
MandiIlene

Back to top Go down

Post by Luvs to paint Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:38 pm

Mandi, thanks so much for sharing your positive experience!  Sounds wonderful!
Luvs to paint
Luvs to paint

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by monna Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:04 pm

I have painted on the Oasis. it was great as well. I haven't done anymore yet either. Since I live in Indiana and have to pay my way to get to Florida or wherever the ship is ... but plan on doing more someday. 
I am also qualified to do Arts and Crafts. and One stroke painting... My friend does Allure a lot. Glad you had a good time. and living in Orlando would have to be a plus. since you can drive to Ft. Lauderdale to port. 
Did you go to convention?
monna
monna

Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2012-07-05

https://www.facebook.com/nanamonnasfacepainting

Back to top Go down

Post by MandiIlene Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:44 am

Yes I was at fabaic, since I'm in fl I go every year. I won second for face paint and had a blast.

I just drove down to the port, it's only 3.5 hrs.

Mandi
MandiIlene
MandiIlene

Back to top Go down

Post by monna Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:28 am

i know... how great is that!!!! i would be going every 3 or 4 months if i could just drive there or better be dropped off! i will check out the 2nd place thing. i ws there.. plan on being there next year too... it is hard know who is who .. from here to convention...lol
monna
monna

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:30 pm

Where did you sail from?
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by monna Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:15 pm

Ft. Lauderdale, Florida... but there are other place ... even Australia ... England... Puerto Rico but most out of lauderdale... went to St. Thomas, St martin and st john
monna
monna

Back to top Go down

Cruise Face Painting Empty Cruise Facepainter Here!

Post by nevadurham Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:18 pm

I have been on several facepaint cruises. I live in Florida which makes it easier. But Sixth Star does have weekend cruises out of Port Canaveral. Usually on Easter and Halloween and Christmas. The smaller ships only get facepainters on holdiays. I love doing the shorter ones but you paint more often than on the longer ones. On the Easter on this year the line was insane long because it rained all day. The kids are amazed by whatever you do so its worth it. On the shorter trips you wont do a demo since there is no time. I am leaving for Oasis of the Seas for the 2nd time in aboutr 3 weeks. I went back in 2012 on them.

nevadurham

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down