Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

White paint and black lights........

4 posters

Go down

White paint and black lights........ Empty White paint and black lights........

Post by Smiletime Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:03 am

I have been playing around with neon paints as my daughter is having a dance birthday and I wanted to paint everyone in neon so they would glow under the black lights. I noticed that white paint does not react to the uv lights, which I found weird because all her white clothes glow.... White paint just looks grey and doesn't glow at all. Does anyone know why this is? I tried to do starbursts over the neon designs and you couldn't see them.... I just found it odd. Is that the case with all white paints? (I used Wolfe) I'll have to make my starbursts in yellow I guess.
Smiletime
Smiletime

Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2011-07-21

http://www.depacesfaces.com

Back to top Go down

White paint and black lights........ Empty Re: White paint and black lights........

Post by SuzySparkles Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:34 am

Yes, white does not glow under black lights ( I don't know why) But there is a neon white that glows under black lights... Just looks horrible under regular lighting...
SuzySparkles
SuzySparkles

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

White paint and black lights........ Empty Re: White paint and black lights........

Post by cattsy Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:00 am

What she said ^^

It has to be a *neon* white. It'll have optical brighteners that glow. It is very transparent though, so what I usually do when I use it is do my details in regular white and where I want it to glow I go over it with the UV white.
cattsy
cattsy

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:35 pm

The reason white clothes glow is the phosphates in laundry detergent. Has nothing to do with them being white. White doesn't equal UV reactive.

Some brands (DFX and ?) have a UV white which paints on almost transparent. Best use is to paint regular white, then go over with the UV white to have a proper UV reaction under the black lights yet look good under regular light.

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:08 am

From a fashion degree's view, most white clothing items that glow are unaturally processed or just plain bleached too much. It's so white that it glows...kind of like celeb white teeth! LOL

If you have ever worn a white shirt that did not glow, it was naturally lightened or whitened. If a shirt is organically processed/lightened, it will more then likely not glow.

I'm not sure if that has anything to do with paints, but I'm sure there are more chemicals in the neon white then a regular white.
CottonKandyClown
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down