Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

problem with dfx, what I am doing wrong ?

+3
cattsy
Kitty's Make-up Studio
Ansiktsmålning
7 posters

Go down

problem with dfx, what I am doing wrong ? Empty problem with dfx, what I am doing wrong ?

Post by Ansiktsmålning Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:12 pm

Hi everybody Smile

Hi received my DFX black and white yesterday, I was so excited (and still is Wink ) but I have problems with it compare to snazaroo that I used before.
I think that the colours are much brighter and the white is just amazing over other colours but I don't know how to use it for line work. I have tried with just a little water but it sticks on the brush and don't come nice on the skin, so I have tried with more water but even if with much water it doesn't work so good. with much water I can paint easily (that doesn't stick so much) but it lasts just e few seconds, and every five seconds I have to take paint again on my pot and add water. that's a little boring I have to say. But I know that DFX is great paint so my question is : what I am doing wrong ? I'm just a beginner and no nothing on facepaint (almost) so I don't want to judge a great brand that everyone loves. What's wrong with my way to do it ?
thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to read your answers Smile)

here is a few photos to explain better) :

problem with dfx, what I am doing wrong ? 954229f5d1a51a4c459c85d12174c160

we clearly see that the white is not so white and with the teardrops (yeah that's teardrops Razz I know I have to practice ...) the white is not so white in the end of the line.

problem with dfx, what I am doing wrong ? 656b33960aceb13a7766b7ee6b7d46fe

on this one so we can see that it "sticks" as if it was not enough paint.

by the way I use a round brush number 4 and 2

Thx a lot !

Ansiktsmålning
Ansiktsmålning

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2012-02-28

Back to top Go down

problem with dfx, what I am doing wrong ? Empty Re: problem with dfx, what I am doing wrong ?

Post by Ansiktsmålning Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:13 pm

Wow sorry for the big size ! Shocked
Ansiktsmålning
Ansiktsmålning

Back to top Go down

problem with dfx, what I am doing wrong ? Empty Re: problem with dfx, what I am doing wrong ?

Post by Kitty's Make-up Studio Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:45 pm

Try to use more water and mix it well. The paint should be creamy. If you use too little water it dries too soon and if you use too much and don't mix it well, the paint looks watery.

I always try to make a little pool of paint, mix with my brush and turn the bristle so the brush stays pointed. Maybe you will find some video's on youtube.
Good luck!
Kitty's Make-up Studio
Kitty's Make-up Studio

Number of posts : 243
Registration date : 2011-02-05

http://www.kittysmakeupstudio.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by cattsy Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:19 pm

Kitty had good advice, it does take quite a bit more water to do linework with DFX, I make a "well" in the middle of my paint. Keep practicing, I've found that it takes some practice to get the right amount of water, but defenitely from your pictures it looks like not enough, that sort of dry streaky look.

Do a forum search for dippy pots as well.

Trina
cattsy
cattsy

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Ansiktsmålning Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:34 am

Thanks guys I will try and feedback efter Smile) thx a lot !!
Ansiktsmålning
Ansiktsmålning

Back to top Go down

Post by katerra77 Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:32 am

Definitely not enough water.
katerra77
katerra77

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2011-09-19

http://www.sunrisefacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ansiktsmålning Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:02 pm

I have tried with much more water and that's better (but not really good yet), I thought that dfx didn't need much water, I watched for videos on youtube which said that dfx just needs a bit water. But I think now that water is really really important but the problem is that it dries very fast so I have to take water again all the time.
I have to pratice I think !
How long lasts about a 45g pot of paint ?
Ansiktsmålning
Ansiktsmålning

Back to top Go down

Post by pjhamel Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:21 pm

It will last a long time. I have one of the 30g ones, and it has lasted me about eight months so far (still has a lot of paint too).

As far as loading the brush goes, I once heard somebody say to run the brush back and forth in the wet paint until small bubbles start to form. This has worked well for me so far.
pjhamel
pjhamel

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2010-01-23

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Naples-FL/Naples-Face-Art/15236981

Back to top Go down

Post by Ansiktsmålning Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:11 am

wow that works ! thanks for this tips pjhamel ! I have also discovered that I like much better a number one brush for designs Smile
number 4 is too big for me.
Ansiktsmålning
Ansiktsmålning

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:56 pm

Have you tried using a little spray bottle?
I spray all my paints before I load up- stops the whole going back for more water thing.
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bee Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:51 pm

If you havent joined FABATV yet, it would be a good move, Mark Reid does a whole hour on brush strokes and loading your brush correctly (I learnt alot!) I know its $289 but you can watch things as many times as you like, and what would a one off professional class cost you?
And of course there's lots of other stuff to learn.
I tried DFX once when i couldnt get any wolfe brothers, and quite simply wolfe is better.
couldnt make out your first pic, but definitely there is not enough water on your second pic and it looks too like you are running out of paint. Is your brush wet up to the ferrel?

bee

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2012-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Ansiktsmålning Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:56 am

Hi guys, since I have written this thread I have applied advices and now it's all better ! Smile I just used not enough water but now I have a spray bottle and I do a little pool in the middle of my paint as someone recommended. so that's just very good white and black now, I just needed to learn how to deal with it, it's done ! Wink

Thanks again !
Ansiktsmålning
Ansiktsmålning

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down