Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Working with other face painters??

+3
CABBYJ
Geekophile
Nicole @ Face-a-Rama
7 posters

Go down

Working with other face painters?? Empty Working with other face painters??

Post by Nicole @ Face-a-Rama Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:23 am

Im a new member and want to share mt experience last weekend.
Well I paid to face paint at this community day event and 3 other face painters were at the ventors meeting and paid their fee for a spot also. The day of the event only one of them showed. So it left only 2 of us at this event.
Questions #1: Do I still pay for spot even though other face painters are there?

Sooooo, other face painter comes over to inspect (I guess) I ask how much is he charging; he says $5. So I decide to charge the same the eliminate competition. After a while my helper noticed he dropped his prices. I was wondering why people was going to him more. And believe me it wasn't his work. And Im by far not the best. After a while my business was picking up because the clients had the chance to see what I was capable of. But it seemed I was forced to drop the prices.
Question #2: Should I have dropped my prices?
Nicole @ Face-a-Rama
Nicole @ Face-a-Rama

Number of posts : 225
Registration date : 2011-05-31

Back to top Go down

Working with other face painters?? Empty Re: Working with other face painters??

Post by Geekophile Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:17 am

What were you intending to price your faces at (before you spoke with him?) Did you drop your prices to $5 or did you drop your prices after you saw him do it? It was probably a good idea to start the day off in the same ballpark (although you shouldn't ever undercut yourself) but continuing to slash your prices to compete won't work in the long run. Better to set yourself apart with quality service if your price is slightly higher, than to sell yourself short.
Geekophile
Geekophile

Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://sophiessmileyfaces.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole @ Face-a-Rama Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 am

Well yes I did sell myself short. Not confident with my work yet but I know Im good. I will take this advice next time around. Thanks so much
Nicole @ Face-a-Rama
Nicole @ Face-a-Rama

Number of posts : 225
Registration date : 2011-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post by CABBYJ Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:41 am

You should price competively but also charge your worth. Consider the competitors prices but also consider your expenses as well. You have to make sure you are making money!
CABBYJ
CABBYJ

Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2009-07-29

http://www.evolutionz.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by artyfacesbyluz Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:53 pm

I saw 3 face painters in a fair, the prices where $ 5,7 and 10 dollars, there were a lot of kids and all of 3 had a line, but the people who paid the $10 dollars were really happy and I heard some of the ones who paid 5 said they regret not to pay $10.

I been myself competing with "free" and I always have more kids than I can paint.

Conclusion, never drop your price, people will line up and pay your price if your work is better or at least the same quality as your competitor.
artyfacesbyluz
artyfacesbyluz

Number of posts : 956
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.artyfacesbyluz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by skylark Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:05 pm

I did a fair where there were two other free face painters. I got the impression that they were doing it as an add-on to the stall to drum up some extra custom. To be frank they were dire. I even had a few people come to me with the original design washed off for a decent paid for one. I find that at most of these events there are plenty of people to go around and some are more than happy to pay a higher price to get a great face and a shorter queue.
skylark
skylark

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2011-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by sunflower Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:16 pm

When i am painting at an event for the first time, i always ask if there will be other face painters there. Depending on the size of the event, sometimes this is ok, sometimes not. However, no matter what, once i've committed to an event, yes i pay for my space as agreed upon ahead of time. If the vendor organize does me dirty in some way, i simply dont return to that event.

I never drop my prices to meet my competitor. I am confident in my work and my array of designs offered and have never had trouble 'loosing out' to another painter.

Stay professional when other painters 'check you out'. And dont feel like you have to answer all of their questions. Be friendly, be professional and you'll come out on top. Smile
sunflower
sunflower

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2011-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:29 pm

When I do an event I make sure it's pretty big so if there are other face painters I can ask to be far away from them. I also try to get a map of the event beforehand & try to pick the best location. I usually try for the main entrance & not the Kids Zone that is much further in. This way, I get them 1st Very Happy
I also charge based on what I paid & what I think the market will bare. I'm finding there will always be cheap low priced face painting, but it's not really effected my line. I even had repeat customers from the previous year that sought me out. I also have booked over $1000 worth of business so far from that event, so always try to think beyond the event, keep your prices competitive but don't under-value yourself.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down