Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Working with another face painter...

+2
Mehndi Masala
Mooncrystal159
6 posters

Go down

Working with another face painter... Empty Working with another face painter...

Post by Mooncrystal159 Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:40 am

Has anyone else ever worked a festival with another painter who's getting to call all the shots? I'm not sure if it's just me, but I'm having a difficult time submitting to this situation because the faces we are given to paint I'm not really all that comfortable with doing. And the kids are being charged prior for the faces, and I feel really bad having them pay a higher price for these faces if they're not gonna come out that great.

Any suggestions?
Mooncrystal159
Mooncrystal159

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2013-03-25

Back to top Go down

Working with another face painter... Empty Re: Working with another face painter...

Post by Mehndi Masala Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:03 pm

It is hard actually! I have worked under/with another artist, and I've had other artists work under me. I just look at it like this...if the other person got the gig, is in contact with the client, and invited you to paint (matters not who is handing you the $$, her or the client as long as you both already agreed on how much $$ you are getting) it's her party. You are her 'employee' if you will. You have to decide before you accept a gig if you can work with the other painter. AND you are not REALLY an employee AND you are an equal. Bad treatment is unacceptable, being treated like a grunt, is unacceptable. Being told ahead of time what you are painting, where you are going, how you are setting up, tips or no tips, etc. are all things that are ironed out before. I'm sure the painter is already aware of your skill level or they would not have asked you. Paint your best and by the end you will be rocking it. Maybe discuss if there are a couple you do NOT want to do if there is a way you can 'signal' the other painter to take those ones and you can take the next person in line whenever possible therefore giving the best possible product to the client everytime. AND if after all the planning and negotiating is not satisfactory, politely decline and let them know why but you are up for future collaborations. If you've already 'signed on' you may have to try and replace yourself or just suck it up and smile and chalk it up to experience! You'll do much better than you think. The fact you are worried about it shows you care and that means you are going to do your best! Go get em!!!
Mehndi Masala
Mehndi Masala

Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2010-12-04

http://www.winnipeghenna.com

Back to top Go down

Working with another face painter... Empty Re: Working with another face painter...

Post by Mooncrystal159 Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:18 pm

Actually, I was asked very last minute by a friend if I wanted to help out without being told about another face painter. I've still never met this lady, nor has she spoken to me at all. Just sent out a mass email to all the volunteers involved, many of which have never painted before. Sad
Mooncrystal159
Mooncrystal159

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretchen Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:03 pm

Volunteers? Are you being paid or are you another volunteer? Who is the actual "client" ...your friend, the other painter who's calling the shots, or a third party who is planning the actual event? My first reaction would be to run for the hills...but then I don't think I fully understand the arrangement...
Gretchen
Gretchen

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:25 pm

Ditto Gretchen on the 'Volunteers'?  Will you be taking your own kit? or using the other painter's supplies?, and more importantly, who's supplies will the voluteers be using?  Their own? ...or are you being hired so the volunteers have access to another kit?

I've personally never painted along side volunteers because I can only imagine it ending badly...either they're going to expect to just use my kit, or they'll have basic supplies but start asking to use my one strokes etc.  And, kit issues aside, I'd get associated with their standard of painting, which *may* be okay...or it may be disastrous.
Coral3
Coral3

Number of posts : 570
Registration date : 2012-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Mooncrystal159 Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:57 pm

Lemme start over. Smile

There's a festival going on this weekend in my township. My boyfriend is friends with one of the ladies in charge of setting this thing up. He asked her a few days ago if they were still looking for any face painters. She told him of course and asked me to fill out an info form for them to add me to the email list with other people, who turned out to be another painter (the one in charge) and a few volunteers (the list I was added to).

I'd submitted an email basically asking if we were all going to set up a meeting to discuss what faces we were doing and to see where everyone's painting level was (since they wanna charge per face). My email was ignored.

She was going to provide each table of three painters one paint kit, which is why I'm going to bring my own (knowing fully I'm not going to see any money).

The thing that's bothering me most is the level of the faces she provided I feel are too advanced for volunteers who don't normally have anything to do with face painting except for her and her assistant. And I'm afraid of having my face associated with any of the paints that don't turn out because I'm not comfortable with them, so I know they won't be my best work. And this area is where I try my hardest to get business.
Mooncrystal159
Mooncrystal159

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:18 pm

Don't do it then.  Sounds like there's nothing in it for you anyway...  all risk, no gain.  

Plus she's organised it, it's her thing - you're not really in a position to 'sort it out' for her when YOU approached HER to ask if you can come along.
Coral3
Coral3

Number of posts : 570
Registration date : 2012-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:26 pm

I would say don't bother. If they are organizing a crew of volunteers with provided kits, leave them to it.

If you do go all I can say is DO NOT take your own kit - it will be "borrowed" and you won't be able to stop it. I have never heard of anyone being able to maintain control of their stuff in this type of situation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehndi Masala Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:52 pm

Run, don't walk and like Shannon said, be prepared for very expensive damage to your kit if you do go in missing and mutilated stock.
Mehndi Masala
Mehndi Masala

Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2010-12-04

http://www.winnipeghenna.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:12 am

I did a volunteer gig like this when I first started. Got there to find the provided paint was sample kits already used up, and broken face paint sticks. I am glad to say I walked away and left the preteen volunteers to do their thing.. I went home to get my professional kit, but turned around half way back as I realized they'd all want to use mine, and definitely leave it trashed like the provided sampler palettes.
I did bring back some of my good brushes though, to make their stuff more usable....still, 2 lessons learned that day:

1)never work for free-and if you do, don't use your expensive kit.
2)always ask how many guests will be there...this "Small gig" was several hundred kids.

Last edited by nikkili26 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
nikkili26
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelley Bellefontaine Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:25 am

I think you have answered your own question ! Every one is right, follow your gut and run away Smile
Shelley Bellefontaine
Shelley Bellefontaine

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-05-05

http://www.you-name-it.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down