Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need "code of ethics" for face painters (working together, yet separately as in a guild)

+4
Michelle Heffner
maurs
Psalmbook
BarbieSmith
8 posters

Go down

Need "code of ethics" for face painters (working together, yet separately as in a guild) Empty Need "code of ethics" for face painters (working together, yet separately as in a guild)

Post by BarbieSmith Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:02 pm

Our 4-person jam wants to turn itself into a guild. We want to have "standards of professionalism" and a "code of ethics". I need to work on the "code of ethics" first, because, after all, we are competition to each other, and I think have a code of ethics between us would help to define the boundaries well for each of us. We are all so friendly, and genuinely care for each other, but a few "competitive" moments have already happened. None critical, yet, but I want to make sure we each understand what we can expect from each other, so that those critical moments do *not* happen. It would break our hearts if anything happened because we didn't have guidelines and expectations of behavior. Smile

I am having a hard time finding the *right* words for the things I want to say. So, I am hoping that someone here has seen a code of conduct online that I can model ours after, or something like that. It would really help. Or, if you have some ideas for us, that would be appreciated very much too!

Also, is there a definition of "guild"? My gut says it is a close-knit group of professionals of a certain standard, with guidelines and standards with respect to ability level, professionalism, and ethics. We would have regular meetings, with point-by-point agenda item discussions and a set of bylaws. Am I on track?

Thanks all,
Barbie
BarbieSmith
BarbieSmith

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2010-07-02

http://www.SweetScentsCandles.com

Back to top Go down

Need "code of ethics" for face painters (working together, yet separately as in a guild) Empty Re: Need "code of ethics" for face painters (working together, yet separately as in a guild)

Post by Psalmbook Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:41 pm

Heff runs a guild & Lilly Walters runs a Jam. You might want to pick their brains about both to see what fits you best. I got to do a class on Jams & Guilds w/ both of them & it was very helpful.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Need "code of ethics" for face painters (working together, yet separately as in a guild) Empty Re: Need "code of ethics" for face painters (working together, yet separately as in a guild)

Post by maurs Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:15 am

Check out FACE. They were a British group at first and are now international.
http://www.facepaint.co.uk/index.php?page=what-is-FACE
maurs
maurs

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2010-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelle Heffner Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:50 am

Our guild is very new and I am working on what's what right now.

But basically we are not accepting new guild members this year so that I can get a handle on everything - the jam was great when it was all the "regulars" but I was getting stuck with the time vampires when they were invited to come too.

~Heff
Michelle Heffner
Michelle Heffner

Number of posts : 517
Registration date : 2008-09-05

http://brightandshining.com/face_painting_blog

Back to top Go down

Post by BarbieSmith Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:54 am

Heffner what is a time vampire? ... someone who just sucks everyone else's time and efforts, with little return to the group? Is that a good guess, LOL?

I am not sure I have run across that yet. So far we have 4 sweet jammers, and they seem pretty committed. We are kinda closed too, I think. But only because there are few other already-professional face painters that I could find, and I (and I am sure my co-jammers) do not want to train *new* competition (ie: people who are not already "professional" - at least in mindset). I did run across a few so far (those that never really put in the effort but were excited to have the opportunity for free lessons on everything we taught ourselves), but it was easy to communicate that the jam was not right for them.

If somebody were just joining for getting gigs from us, or getting free training (without some legwork on their own) I think I would spot it right away... it is kinda obvious, eh? But the four we have now, I am just so thrilled with, and I think the others are too.

Heffner, I imagine your guild is far bigger than four people - how many do you have? And, what do you think the difference between a jam and guild is? I see a jam as a free-form type of thing, whereas a guild is a much more structured entity, with standards, expectations/rules, and a membership screening process.

Regards, Barbie
BarbieSmith
BarbieSmith

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelley Bellefontaine Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:37 pm

These are things I have run across, don't know if it will help!

1) no intentional courting of someone's clients
2)I think people need to be on the same page for pricing for this type of thing to work. Does not have to be the exact price, but well within the ball park!!
3)When some one says they have an idea of who they would like to contact as a potential client, don't go behind their back and do it first!So if someone has an idea, let them run with it and just be supportive.
4) people need to treat each other with respect and kindness and behave like professionals Very Happy

I hope you can avoid the vampires! There are lots of lovely people in this industry as well.

Shelley
Shelley Bellefontaine
Shelley Bellefontaine

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-05-05

http://www.you-name-it.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by BarbieSmith Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:47 pm

Yes, that does help! Thank you!!!
Barbie
BarbieSmith
BarbieSmith

Back to top Go down

Post by BluAngL83 Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:21 pm

well i think she ment the time vampire thing as some noobs come in to our jams and basically try to suck out all the FREE information (tricks learned, designs, ideas, etc...) and take all your time without contributing as well. People who aren't willing to pay $150 or $100 to take a class and learn new things or aren't willing to do the online research and look at youtube videos. Basically Shady people who want in to get as much as they can then poof disappear into the night (insert evil laugh) and hire teens/lower priced individuals to farm out clients to (making themselves like a large company).

Yeah it's obvious when they come in and start the "sucking", but can you really say, "get out your not welcomed" espcially if there aren't really rules (just polite asking to the lead jammer) set? I think thats why we started a guild just so that kind of thing doesnt happen anymore.
BluAngL83
BluAngL83

Number of posts : 851
Registration date : 2009-06-22

http://www.heavenlyfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelle Heffner Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:19 pm

Bingo Ivonne/Blu.

I view face painting jams in the same light as musical jams - artist get together, share what they have been working on lately, and just hang out.

I need to socialize with other face painters or I go nuts since my husband won't listen to me Razz

When I was advertising the jams on the different forums I was getting a lot of clingers.

It is so hard for me to tell people "No, You can't come again" so I started to just email the regulars who were already in the business in my area. I stopped advertising and a year later we have decided to become a guild.

It's exciting!

~Heff
Michelle Heffner
Michelle Heffner

Number of posts : 517
Registration date : 2008-09-05

http://brightandshining.com/face_painting_blog

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyO Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:01 pm

You might want to have a membership fee - that will stop the free loaders.
The first four don't have to pay but anyone new will and they have to pass a basic level test of somekind to get in.
KathyO
KathyO

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:20 pm

I like the idea of opening it to ONLY painters who are already up and running businesses in your area. If they already have their own business and are working professionally, they shouldn't be too needy in the "what do I do??" department, and should have enough experience to give something back to the group.

It's also easier to explain to newbies without hurting their feelings. "I'm sorry, this guild is open to professional face painters who are running businesses." If the line seems to be fuzzy there, you could require that they have a website, or provide a reference list of past jobs they've worked for verification.
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BarbieSmith Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:19 pm

This is such great input, thank you so much for the guidance! You all really "get" what I was looking for.
I will keep my eye on this thread in case there are any more ideas.
Barbie

BarbieSmith
BarbieSmith

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down