Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cricut and glitter tattoos

+55
mystariea
Staley
MeeMee
Twister Tess
PaolaSunglow
Pixie Dust Tattoo
faceandbodyfx
VictoriaS
roscka
mhr2133
EileenF
Lauri Strandell
vegas mom
vicky@addgo.com
scgilland
artyfacesbyluz
Manja
FunWithSparkles
sweethavenarts
Tasha
faketoos
AshleyMarie727
pink-princess-81
RachelHeck
jenniferella
Manabanana
anniel
craftymom
CABBYJ
1HappyNut
Pinky1249
MelindaT0813
betty
facefantasy
angiespaintbrush
Noella
Geekophile
Wildcatfin
CinJin
Kristal
Amanda
TheSparklingLady
Auntie M
Judy
CATZ
JBax
Spectrum
Teri
LoneWolf
Ashley Pickin
wmeventservices
SuzySparkles
Sam
Fabtastic
hunting4helen
59 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Cricut and glitter tattoos - Page 7 Empty Re: Cricut and glitter tattoos

Post by vegas mom Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:32 am

Is there a YouTube video that explains how to get your own images to a format that silhouette can read so you can cut. Or how to use scal?
vegas mom
vegas mom

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2011-11-06

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Wand-Face-Painting-and-Glit

Back to top Go down

Post by artyfacesbyluz Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:08 pm

I don't have SCAL, the image needs to be in black and white, I am not good in photoshop so I use PAINT brush the program that comes free in windows, the clean the picture, then I go to silhouette, open it, go to trace and cut,sometimes it needs to be filter first, and then there is the image, I can't manipulate the silhouette file itself so I don't save that kind of images.
artyfacesbyluz
artyfacesbyluz

Number of posts : 956
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.artyfacesbyluz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauri Strandell Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:47 pm

Hi everyone!
Everyone seems to want to know the answer to this particular question. How much, how much, how much? Since this kind of cost analysis is one of my favorite types of math, second only to statistics, I thought I would give you the break down. The costs are based on mana bananas post on october fifth with dollars rounded up. Remember, this is a breakdown applied to the cost of materials only. Not the cost of your cutting machine or your time.
I thought I would give several scenarios - the first one is just for fun!
The first is the cost of 2 x 2 inch stencil, material only. This cost breakdown is $.015. Not 15¢, but 1.5¢!

Here is the math if you're interested.
tape 15" x 100' = $36 ÷ 10 = $3.60 15" x 10' vinyl, 15" x 10' = $16 10' = $20 $20 ÷ 10' = $2/1' 36" x 15" = 540" $2 ÷ 540" = .0037 * 4 = .0148 or (tada!) $.015!

There are several problems here. The material comes in 15" so does not divide by 2! However the same formula can be applied to 3 x 3 ($.03) or 4 x 4 ($.06) or 5 x 5 ($.09), or even 3 x 15 ($.17), etc. Also, in this scenario, I calculated the 100' roll of tape as if it came in a 10 yard' roll. I don't think it does or manabanana would have purchased the same quantities of tape and vinyl in 10’ increments. For this pricing scheme to be realized, you would need to purchase 9 additional rolls of vinyl to equal the quantity of tape. In total, an initial investment of tape and vinyl for approximately $195. This investment will yield approximately 13,500 stencils that are 2 x 2. Now, I don't know anyone who in their right mind, would need or want 13,500 stencils. However, and remember this is just for fun, if you were to sell 13,500 glitter tattoos at $5 each, your profit would be $67,305 (67,500-195). If you were to purchase 13,500 2 x 2 stencils from a retail supplier the cost would be approximately $6,075, netting a profit of $61,425 (67,500-6,075). LOL Definitely not worth the cost of cutting stencils yourself!
Well I just did a little more math and the concept of 13,500 stencils isn’t all that crazy. If you sell 100 glitter tatoos over the course of a weekend / 45 weekends out of the year, it would only take 3 years to sell them all. So maybe over the course of 3 years, it is worth the cost to cut them yourself?

This one is the more likely scenario. Initial purchase of 100' tape and 10' of vinyl $52. The cost of a 2 x 2 now is approximately $.04. Yes, only 4¢. Or 3 x 3 = $.09 and so on.

Here is the math if you're interested. 10*36*15=5400. 52÷5400=.0096*4=.038

In this scenario, the materials will yield approximately 1,350 2 x 2 stencils with 9' of tape left over. From a retail supplier 1,350 would cost you approximately $607.50. Again, we can use the same formula and sell glitter tattoos at $5 each for a profit of $6,698 (6,750-52) and so on.

The bottom line is - The stencil material itself doesn't reallly cost anything per stencil. I know this was long, let me know if you have any questions.

Lauri Strandell

Number of posts : 645
Registration date : 2010-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauri Strandell Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:51 pm

So I'm ordering my materials right now. i got the faketoos and they use the 631, but on here everyone seems to like the 641 or I think I saw a post about 651? Any thoughts? Any help for me?

Lauri Strandell

Back to top Go down

Post by vegas mom Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:10 pm

All I know is that I am having the darndest time trying to use images from the web on my silhouette..(non copy writed). I have inkscape, gimp, paint and dont forget when doing you stats you need to include the cost of the machine and glitter. Anyone want to PM me with directions for how to use this thing for stencils? Very Happy
vegas mom
vegas mom

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauri Strandell Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:19 pm

I was going to do another cost analysis for the machine and one for glitter (and supplies, like cotton balls and alcohol) but I'm pretty sure, i've put everyone to sleep Sleep Sorry!

Lauri Strandell

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:42 pm

I think for me it isn't "just" a cost issue - it is a convenience issue - I can choose the designs I want, the materials I want, the size I want - oh and I can make something the night before the event in a matter of minutes (I just ran off 20 ones I'd never done before for an event I'm doing tomorrow - someone called with an "oh by the way, do you have?" - and it took me about an hour - but for me, worth my time to be able to say "I will"). I have to say, I like having that convenience - and another factor for your calculation is shipping - if you are ordering stencils in small quantities to ensure you have the right variety not to overstock individual designs that might fall in or out of favour, shipping can add up.

Then again, that's another reason I don't have a large banner with all of my designs - I use paper in a page protector banner that can have pages swapped in and out - somehow I rarely end up with the exact same combination.
Noella
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauri Strandell Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:02 pm

I agree about costs. It's so inexpensive in my book. Darren and I spend more going out to dinner than 100 yards of both product costs, but I know for some people money is a real consideration. In fact, I only have to pick up two wait shifts to pay for the new silhouette cameo (just ordered it!) Woo Hoo! I just like to do cost analysis.......... Shocked
I also like the oracal 631 after reading about the tackiness of the adhesive and what it's designed for. I think it feels more pliable (thinner, maybe?) Here is the link -
http://www.signwarehouse.com/blog/?p=557
I'll let you know if I still like it after I get it. I was wondering about the pressure setting for this product....but I guess I'll experiment when it gets here. It doesnt seem like this thread is real active anymore. But I thank everyone for the great info Very Happy

Oh, I'm having a permanent glitter tattoo/face painting booth set up at my downtown location right next to Ice Cream Alley this summer and I have staff that will help pick pieces out of the stencils when we're slow at the restaurant, so for me, making my own stencils just makes sense (or cents Wink ).

Lauri Strandell

Back to top Go down

Post by vegas mom Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:41 am

Hi
I just ordered from vinyl ease off amazon. I think it's 631.. It's repositionable vinyl as opposed to permanent. They had a lot of permanent adhesive vinyl, but wasn't sure which way to go.. Does it make a difference if it's matte or gloss? Should be here Friday. Love amazon prime!! Also a 12x300 ft roll of clear tape, the v0803.
vegas mom
vegas mom

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:57 am

I haven't been on this site in forever, but this is one of my favorite threads. I am currently in the middle of making a whole new library of glitter tat stencils myself. I have the Cameo and ordered vinyl and transfer tape... I THINK i have the 641 vinyl? In the test samples I've done it seems to work fine, but tomorrow I have a glitter tat party and I'll find out for sure then! I also have transfer tape I ordred, but don't know which one off the top of my head.

Based on the cost discussion... for me, I rarely ever do PPF events, so when I do them it's just at a normal party. at $.50 a stencil, if I do 20 an hour for a two hour party it's cost me $20, plus glue and all that. I still make a profit, but I don't like having to replace so much cost so quickly. Plus I have the machine and the skills to make my own, so I'm trying it out.

I bought the vinyl in the 24" wide roll, then I slice it into 12" sections, and then cut that in half again so I can run it thru my machine at 12x12" size and it's easily manageable. I tried it in bigger sheets but it's just sortof a pain. The transfer tape came in 12" wide sheets, so it works out perfectly.

I'll post pics today to show you... I've got like 68 stencil designs I'm cutting.
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-07-10

http://www.elaborateeyes.com

Back to top Go down

Post by vegas mom Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:24 am

Good Luck Amanda
Let me know how it turns out Very Happy
vegas mom
vegas mom

Back to top Go down

Post by EileenF Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:46 pm

Awesome! It's so convenient being able to make your own stencils. Isn't it a great feeling when someone walks away wearing your handmade design! Very Happy Good luck, show us pics!
EileenF
EileenF

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2012-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:56 pm

Well I made it thru the weekend... It was down to the wire, let me tell you! My stencils turned out great though. They worked good, I had no problems with the transfer tape or anything! I still need to and some good posters, but managed to print out some black and white pieces sheets of designs which I quickly taped to a piece of foam core.

When making them I got into a good rythm... I cut my 24" wide vinyl into 12" strips, and cut about 10 of those each round. Then I trimmed those in half to get my 12x12" squares, which are easily manageable. Then I cut the stencils (I set my files up so 4 squares of each design were in a row, and 4 rows fit on a sheet). So I'd cut the full sheet, then trim it in half with my paper cutter, which made pulling the negative area off cleanly alot easier. Then I'd pick out all the small negative spaces. The transfer tape was a bit tricky, but I figures out that if I put the roll on my lap an pulled it out on the table in front of me, sticky side up, I could pretty easily lay a 6x12" sheet of vinyl down on it without bubbles. It wasn't always perfectly straight, but i got it pretty close. I'd put two or three vinyl sections down then trim the whole big piece of transfer tape off and then cut down the edges. I kindof did each step in rounds, and while one sheet was cutting I could be removing negatives from another. It was alot of work, but I've got a nice starting library now that didnt cost me a ton of money to set up. And if I run low I can just whip up more anytime.
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-07-10

http://www.elaborateeyes.com

Back to top Go down

Post by vicky@addgo.com Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:50 pm

EileenF wrote:As far as transfer tape I use a medium tack. I always get the clear 15" wide roll. Having a big squeege makes it super quick.

good info Very Happy
vicky@addgo.com
vicky@addgo.com

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by vicky@addgo.com Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:53 pm

EileenF wrote:As far as transfer tape I use a medium tack. I always get the clear 15" wide roll. Having a big squeege makes it super quick.

IDEA... Could a person use a spray adhesive onto plastic sheets to make transfer paper?
vicky@addgo.com
vicky@addgo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by vicky@addgo.com Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:56 pm

vicky@addgo.com wrote:

good info Very Happy

I chatted the boxboy up at the big grocery store. I asked him if i could have a large corrugated sign that as lying in the laundry detergent aisle that looked abandoned. it was about 1.5 feet by 3 yards. When that caught my eye omg i was bling! there is my Glitter Tat sign!!! woo hoo . it took some convincing for him to give it to me, because it was part of the display but i have it now alien
vicky@addgo.com
vicky@addgo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by vicky@addgo.com Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:03 pm

Lauri Strandell wrote:So I'm ordering my materials right now. i got the faketoos and they use the 631, but on here everyone seems to like the 641 or I think I saw a post about 651? Any thoughts? Any help for me?

WOW thank you for doing that! Razz
vicky@addgo.com
vicky@addgo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by vegas mom Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:19 pm

going to bump this thread up.. I have Presto2(red) adhesive transfer tape. Looks great on my stencils, but its tooo tacky and takes forever to peel off the stencil and then sometimes it rips the stencils. I was told it was medium tack.. Does the heat effect the bonding? I know theres a lot of info on here about transfer tape, but there are no specific brands/with the exact kind ordered, just links on where to buy.. Thanks for your help...
vegas mom
vegas mom

Back to top Go down

Post by mhr2133 Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:46 pm

Vegas mom if you want to salvage your transfer tape you can try lightly dusting the vinyl after its cut with baby powder (I take a large blush brush and dust it around). Now don't put so much on that you can see white, this is a light dusting.

When we have a customer that is a beginner and having trouble with tape removal we can run a series just for them using this baby powder dusting and the tape removes easier. (this is not recommended though for anything with floating pieces-you need that sticky tape for those). Play round with it and maybe you can manage to use up the tape you've already paid for. I need to pull invoices to look up the exact transfer we are using-will post later
mhr2133
mhr2133

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by vegas mom Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:04 pm

Thanks Hopepaints. I have over 1/2 a roll left. I think it was 24x 300 ft. Yikes.
vegas mom
vegas mom

Back to top Go down

Post by sweethavenarts Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:53 am

Ug I too am having to stick tape issues. I got preview plus from jra signs- it's medium tack and I tore a spider transfer with it yesterday. I'm using the 341 orcal. I've tried calling some local sign shops to see if anyone has low tack. one does, but they only carry the 15 inch, which I guess I could do. arg, its been a frustrating morning.
sweethavenarts
sweethavenarts

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2011-06-20

http://www.sweethavenarts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by roscka Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:35 pm

cheap vinyl at
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330794613381&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160
roscka
roscka

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2012-08-25

http://www.digitalweblounge.com

Back to top Go down

Post by VictoriaS Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:55 pm

Does anyone use or make reusable stencils?

I have reusable airbrush tattoo stencils, do you think I could make ones similar to those with the materials available out there?

Has anyone tried this? The stencils are on a page and the stencils are used then placed back onto a sticker backing type paper.
This is what I'm trying to do. I'm not big on lots of waste I get from individual use stencils. Any ideas?
VictoriaS
VictoriaS

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2011-11-16

http://www.biggrinsfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by artyfacesbyluz Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:59 pm

You can use the plastic book dividers, I do the stencils with my silhouette for face painting with them.
artyfacesbyluz
artyfacesbyluz

Number of posts : 956
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.artyfacesbyluz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by VictoriaS Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:14 pm

I was meaning the reusable vinyl. It's an airbrush tattoo stencil book filled with reusable vinyl stencils that have tack/adhesive on the back.

I have several of those books but prefer to make my own designs because the choices are limited. Does anyone know which vinyl is used for those? It has a matte feel to them. I was going to try 641 outdoor 4yr. But I don't know. I might just call up a sign shop.
VictoriaS
VictoriaS

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2011-11-16

http://www.biggrinsfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next