Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone out there do window painting?

+4
fesspenter
Misha
Erica's Funny Faces
Party Picassos
8 posters

Go down

Anyone out there do window painting? Empty Anyone out there do window painting?

Post by Party Picassos Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:43 am

Hi!

I have been an artist for LONG time: graphics, murals, face painting and crafting. I have NEVER painted a store front window. I am leaving shortly to meet with an owner (he called me) to discuss design and cost. I am trying to figure out WHICH products I need to use, how much it will cost, so I can give him a fair price and not rip off myself.

Also I live in Chicago. Does everyone paint on the outside of the windows? It's gonna be cold out there and I'm not sure how easily it dries when it is cold.

I need feedback please! Give me all of your knowledge on this subject. Many thanks! Laughing
Party Picassos
Party Picassos

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2010-11-18

http://www.partypicassos.com

Back to top Go down

Anyone out there do window painting? Empty Re: Anyone out there do window painting?

Post by Erica's Funny Faces Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:49 am

I am from the Chicago area to and just wanted to say Hi Neighbor! flower Don't know much about window paints though...I'm sure someone will come through with wonderful advice for you though. Good Luck! santa
Erica's Funny Faces
Erica's Funny Faces

Number of posts : 1306
Registration date : 2012-08-20

http://www.thefunnyfacepainter.com

Back to top Go down

Anyone out there do window painting? Empty Re: Anyone out there do window painting?

Post by Misha Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:04 pm

I did this once at a retail store I worked for. I used tempura paints and painted on the inside of the glass. Make sure to plan out your painting for both sides if that's how it'll be viewed. I'm sure acrylics could be used as well. To removed I used a scraper and window cleaner since tempura is water soluble. I was happy with the results but I have no idea how it 'should' be done, just how I did it! Hopefully this helps you even a little bit! Very Happy
Misha
Misha

Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Party Picassos Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:47 pm

Thanks Misha. I visited the client today. The previous artist used some kind of acrylic and painted on the outside of the glass. Today it is pretty nippy, so we are holding off til Monday. It's supposed to be in the 60s. One of the business across the street also is hiring me. Hope I do it fast and well. I invested $85 in bottles of craft paint and brushes. I'll be making only $200 on the two stores. It doesn't pay like face painting does. AND I have to clean off all the old art!

Hi Erica! Nice to meet another Chicagoland artist!
Party Picassos
Party Picassos

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:28 am

Dear Party Picassos:
I have painted on the inside of a window with tempera and also with acrylic. Acrylics go on better, stain more. Tempera can be streaky, and it is easy to wash off.
I put painter's tape on the outside of the window to keep lettering straight (use a level).
Happy Painting!
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Party Picassos Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:24 pm

Thanks for your responses. I'll post some pix afterwards. Crossing my fingers. I think the way to make LOTs of $ is to go up and down one street to every business with windows. That way all of your supplies are together and your next job is next door. To go for just ONE store and have to buy the supplies and spend money on gas...it's not the best profit. BUT it is something new to try. Smile
Party Picassos
Party Picassos

Back to top Go down

Post by RiaB-Artist Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:51 am

Hi, Party Picassos! Your question about window painting is what brought me to the forums here on facepaintforum! I have been a window painter since 1978 and I have recently written several articles on it. It will be time for me to retire over the next few years so I wanted to share my expertise! If you would like to contact me you may do so. There are a lot of tips I can give you!

----> In the mean time, I am going to look over all the items on this forum! I have NOT done face painting but it may be a simple transition for me.

Thanks for posting your question so I could find this great forum! (Sorry - better late than never on the timing!)
RiaB-Artist
RiaB-Artist

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2013-02-27

http://www.squidoo.com/Christmas_Art_Painter

Back to top Go down

Post by monna Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:26 am

check out your page. thanks for sharing.
monna
monna

Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2012-07-05

https://www.facebook.com/nanamonnasfacepainting

Back to top Go down

Post by RiaB-Artist Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:17 pm

Thanks, Monna! I appreciate you stopping over! It is there to share info!

@Party Picassos there is a drawback to window painting.. people want it but they do not want to pay much for it. Generally my work breaks down to $15 an hour or more if I can get a window painted faster. If they do not want to pay for your talent, do not waste your time! Move on, there are people out there that will pay you what you are worth. The problem is there are artists out there that only charge about $25 to $40 for painting. Its terrible what they have done to artists like myself. I charge $15 to $40 PER window pane depending on what image I will be painting.
RiaB-Artist
RiaB-Artist

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2013-02-27

http://www.squidoo.com/Christmas_Art_Painter

Back to top Go down

Post by Party Picassos Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:55 pm

Ria, sorry I haven't been checking my postings. Better late than never. My window painting career was short lived for a few of the reasons you mentioned. MONEY! This deli owner want winter snow scenes on 3 or 4 bigger windows 4'x6' and a wreath on the door 1.5'  I quoted him $500. He also wanted me to scrape off the windows that someone else painted. He almost hit the floor at my quote. He told me $125 and I stupidly agreed. Just scrapping off the windows took a few hours with my husband helping. Then, he didn't want the images transparent, so he told me to paint everything in white and then paint all the artwork on top of the white layer. Crazy. Took forever. "Oh, but I got you another job across the street at a pizzeria." Gee. Thanks. Then I spent about eighty dollars on supplies. Windows need much larger brushes than face paint. I did do the pizzeria windows for $75 (one window). I told her that her window would clean off easier because I found out that you should put dish detergent in the paint. A month later, she called and asked when I was coming to clean her window. She misunderstood. I said it was gonna come off easier. I didn't say that I was going to do it.

So all together, I know I will NEVER do this again. Amusing note, the deli owner's wife hired me for their daughter's bday party. I made a WHOLE lot more painting faces. He didn't say much to me that day. A lesson learned!

Anyone out there do window painting? 18824_13

Anyone out there do window painting? 31579610

Anyone out there do window painting? 31281910

Anyone out there do window painting? 53759011

Anyone out there do window painting? 55886710
Party Picassos
Party Picassos

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Molly's Bespoke Art Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:01 pm

Hey Party Picassos! Sorry you didn't earn so well but I love your window art, the pictures look fantastic! I would hire you :-)
Maybe don't give up yet, especially since you invested in all those materials. Perhaps you could just only accept jobs that pay higher?
Oh... I realise this is from 2010... I wonder what you're up to now?

Miss Molly's Bespoke Art

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2016-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by kkeller67 Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:59 am

Party Picasso,
Just saw your post. Future reference, charge $50-75 a scenery. In this case $250 minimum and if you have to scrape off someone else's work $20-25 a panel. Chicago should offer more.
However, this is fair across the board.
I'm on Arkansas and that's what I'd charge here. Don't let anyone tell you your worth. You do good work. Therefore, you know your worth. Just saying. Good luck on future adventures. kkeller67

kkeller67

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2014-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum