Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you paint teens with bad acne? WARNING...a little gross!

+14
alezmata
JJJJJ
HillbillyDiva1
CottonKandyClown
scgilland
billiebcc
mamakatrien
barbb919
ARTSY LADY
anniel
Bee Happy Design
tinyfairies6768
Perry Noia
TinafromNY
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Do you paint teens with bad acne? WARNING...a little gross! Empty Do you paint teens with bad acne? WARNING...a little gross!

Post by TinafromNY Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:05 pm

Hi All,

I had a teen sit down in my chair. He was about 14 and his face was kind of greasy (not dirty) and was just COVERED with acne crusts and also pimples that had pus in...no noticible OPEN pimples. I didn't know what to do when I saw it (I admit I was a little grossed out). I didn't want to embarrass the poor kid further, especially in front of his friends, by refusing him, even though I keep a sign on my table about not painting anyone with this and that, etc. I ended up painting him, being careful not to dip sponge more than once, use clean side for next color, etc. I actually threw the sponge away once he left. My brush I dipped once only also, but put that to the side and cleaned it later. I'm sure other painters have come up against this. How did you handle it? Thanks!
TinafromNY
TinafromNY

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2012-07-05

http://www.facefanaticfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Do you paint teens with bad acne? WARNING...a little gross! Empty Re: Do you paint teens with bad acne? WARNING...a little gross!

Post by Perry Noia Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:08 pm

It doesn't bother me.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Do you paint teens with bad acne? WARNING...a little gross! Empty Re: Do you paint teens with bad acne? WARNING...a little gross!

Post by TinafromNY Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:12 pm

Thanks Perry, but what about the "safety factor" about possibly transferring any body fluids or infection to the paints or others when you paint them? How did you handle it?
TinafromNY
TinafromNY

Back to top Go down

Post by tinyfairies6768 Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:30 pm

It's happened to me once before as well. I handed the kid a wipe and asked to quickly wipe down their face, tried to load paint heavily on both brushes and sponge. I also put the sponge aside so it would not be used again until thoroughly washing it. You can always wipe your cakes down with a wetnap afterwards.
tinyfairies6768
tinyfairies6768

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2010-06-17

http://www.probodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bee Happy Design Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:18 am

Or suggest a painting on their arm? unless it was a full face type thing...

I actually had a girl sit down and I started painting her and noticed BUGS crawling on her SCALP!!!! yikes... fortunately I didn't get anything. I should have asked her adult with her what was going on but I was too shy...
Bee Happy Design
Bee Happy Design

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2011-08-15

http://www.beehappyfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:19 am

The texture would be awesome for a dragon...sorry, being foolish--

I would generally steer them towards a tattoo on the arm/neck--somewhere unaffected on the possibility the color might get into the pores and leave a permanent situation.
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ARTSY LADY Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:29 am

I feel I would not have a nice way to say it. Listen you either get a dragon OR you get off my chair, and that dragon will cost you doubble for the cost of my sponge and brush, you can thank your acne for that! Hahaha I'm kidding guys I'd be stuck only thinking this no way I can embarrass him.
ARTSY LADY
ARTSY LADY

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2012-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by barbb919 Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:56 am

i usually suggest a arm design, and try not to embarss them..or use a sponge loaded with paint and wash it later..as for the brush I also will set that aside untill i can wash everything.....
barbb919
barbb919

Number of posts : 2109
Registration date : 2010-03-23

http://tappysfacepainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mamakatrien Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:03 am

having bad acne is SOOO terrible when you are a teen, I would do anything not to embarras the kid. If anything, it may cover up his/her acne for a day, making them feel better about themselves. As far as i know, acne is not contagious, but the pus can cause infection in other wounds of course.

I would simply paint the kid, using a clean sponge for each load, but don't think i would do the same with the brushes, since disturbing the acne with a soft brush is almost impossible.
I think if you only dab softly with the sponge it would be fine. And put sponge and brush aside for washing.

In my spray and water I put some drops of desinfectant, so I am not to worried about the paint.

Simply dirty kids I DO send beack to their parents and tell them my paint can only stick on a clean face. "can you go ask your mom to help you get a clean face so that I can paint you properly?"
They are never offend and always come back spic & span.
mamakatrien
mamakatrien

Number of posts : 486
Registration date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by mamakatrien Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:07 am

the bugs in the hair would be a definite stop for my btw... I would tell them to get the malatiol for the pharmacy though...
mamakatrien
mamakatrien

Number of posts : 486
Registration date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:51 pm

If their face is clean and their skin is not broken, then I don't see what the issue is. I almost always have at least two or three pimples on my face and I paint it the same as usual. If there is any broken skin, then I would avoid that area.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by billiebcc Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:00 pm

Here's the question to ask about acne. Do you honestly think the acne is more contagious than the toddler's saliva? I don't. It may make you squirm more, but more contagious? No.
billiebcc
billiebcc

Number of posts : 506
Registration date : 2011-11-05

http://www.angelwingsbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ARTSY LADY Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:04 pm

I think the issue might me that acne grosses people out.
ARTSY LADY
ARTSY LADY

Back to top Go down

Post by billiebcc Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:08 pm

Well we all can't have perfect skin and good health insurance.
billiebcc
billiebcc

Number of posts : 506
Registration date : 2011-11-05

http://www.angelwingsbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ARTSY LADY Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:18 pm

Easy way to solve it would be by informing them that they might have open pores the face paint can get inside and cause an infection. I think then would they change their mind about an actual face paint.
ARTSY LADY
ARTSY LADY

Back to top Go down

Post by scgilland Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:21 pm

wish I could hand out accutane to the world that suffers with acne, I used to have it so bad when I turned 30 and it was bad bad for 2 years, and accutane cured me, haven't had one zit in 2 years!!! Miracle! Darn it, they are about to not allow it anymore. Thank goodness I got it before then.
scgilland
scgilland

Number of posts : 279
Registration date : 2011-06-27

http://www.princess-pirate-lucinda.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ARTSY LADY Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:24 pm

Really? I think I can recommend that to a few people. Over the counter??? And are they taking it out of the market only in your state or all around?
ARTSY LADY
ARTSY LADY

Back to top Go down

Post by scgilland Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:28 pm

No, its definitely not over the counter, it can be very dangerous for some, but it saved my life. I am sure I would have never gotten into face painting if I still struggled with it. I had to be on 2 forms of birth control, cause it can cause major birth defects, but I was so depressed about my face that it was causing me to not want to live anymore, so it was worth it to me.
scgilland
scgilland

Back to top Go down

Post by ARTSY LADY Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:43 pm

Well I'm very glad you are well Cindi, and that you got it on time now that it won't be around.
ARTSY LADY
ARTSY LADY

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:15 am

It doesn't bother me. Growing up, I had an ex boyfriend with really bad acne. I know it really bothered him! Sad

If it really bothers you, you could suggest an arm design, by saying, oh I see you have sensitive skin. Would you like a cool arm design? If he insisted a face paint, suck it up! LOL There is no blood involved! There is more bacteria on top of the skin then in it, I'm sure Wink Staph lives everywhere!
CottonKandyClown
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by TinafromNY Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:05 am

Thanks everyone! The acne itself doesn't bother me as much as what might have been the health hazard to my paints or even the child himself. I most certainly didn't want to embarrass the kid, especially in front of his friends! I think I like the suggestion to say that the paint may be irritating or get into pores and quietly suggesting to paint the arm instead. Otherwise I'll just go back to being careful with the sponges and brush I use, so I don't transfer anything.
TinafromNY
TinafromNY

Back to top Go down

Post by scgilland Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:06 am

I am surprised he wanted anything, when mine was bad, I wouldnt even put makeup on, because I was afraid it would make it worse, and it really hurt when I had to scrub my face-thinking about it now makes me nauseous!
scgilland
scgilland

Back to top Go down

Post by HillbillyDiva1 Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:03 pm

I remember years ago a young man wanting a checker board on his face and I knew it was to cover up his severe acne. I did it and he was very happy looking into the mirror seeing something other than zits.
HillbillyDiva1
HillbillyDiva1

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2011-09-04

http://www.gandgfaceandbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJJJ Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:57 pm

An earlier response on here referred to seeing crawling bugs in the hair. This is of course lice. The way I'd handle it is to say to the child, "Excuse me, I have to talk to your mom for a minute." Then I'd actually stand up and invite the parent into the tent and away from the line and tell them what I've seen. I'd do it very sweetly, as in, "I work in a school (which I do) and I have to let you know that I just saw what appears to be lice in your daughter's hair. It's not at all uncommon, and kids catch it from other kids, and the cleanest kids in the world catch it, and I had it as a kid (okay - I had TWO actual bugs, when my cousin stayed with us and was found to be infected. We both got the mega-shampoo treatment.)," The point is, the whole way you say it will put the parent as much at ease as is possible, and keep their embarrassment level down to a minimum, especially when you say you had it as a kid (a white lie never hurts. But a white lice does! Surprised).

Then I'd say, "I'm so so so sorry but I can't go ahead with the painting because part of my job is to keep everything here safe for everyone." And suggest that they follow up with the shampoo, AND, hand her a small toy or sticker, etc., to give the child in consolation.

Then I'd ask mom to please go gather up her child quietly, so no one else on line need know.

JJJJJ

Number of posts : 1053
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by TinafromNY Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:53 pm

Great advice JJJJ. And...Hillbilly Diva...that was such a nice story!
TinafromNY
TinafromNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next