Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is what happens when you give super glue to a monkey....

+14
Psalmbook
Arty-Farty Party
makin faces by synni
IamGinaW
MeeMee
Miss Ronnie
elantaura
Denise Cold
sweethavenarts
Ester K-D
helena
TheGildedCat
Criss
HazyDaze
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

This is what happens when you give super glue to a monkey.... Empty This is what happens when you give super glue to a monkey....

Post by HazyDaze Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:59 pm

So yesterday my purse strap broke, down where it connects to the purse with a metal thingymajig that is supposed to be stuck inside another metal thingymajig. And me, because I am often blinded by my own brilliance, decided "hey, I can use super glue to stick those thingymajigs back together!" Laughing

Trying to be super glue smart, I held the purse strap ~ not the metal thingys that were to be glued ('cause I've done that before and it didn't work out well) and put glue on one metal bit and quickly poked it back into the other bit. Good as new, right? Wrong. It fell back out, as apparently there wasn't enough surface area contact between the two bits for the glue to hold it firmly. So much for being 'super'. Suspect

After readjusting my grip on the purse strap, this time connecting the metal thingys first in preparation for the glue application, I picked up the super glue again and realized immediately that the tube was wet. Great. Rolling Eyes But quickly pouring glue over those bits won't take but a few seconds, and not much damage can be done in such a short time, right? Wrong again, and oh, how very, very wrong.

Now a lot of you are shaking your heads right now thinking, "stupid, stupid woman!", and I can't argue with you on that. I've had small super glue mishaps before, but never have my fingers been so firmly adhered. My thumb and middle finger were stuck so hard that it actually began to hurt just trying to pull them off.

So I swallowed my pride and went to my husband for help. First he suggested I just forcibly remove them, but I wasn't too keen on having the pads of my fingers ripped off. Then, as I was desperately pouring nail polish remover, Goo Gone, hot water, and anything else I could get my one un-glued hand on over my digit-disaster, he grabbed a paring knife and explained that he could use it to carefully slice the thin layer of glue that was holding my fingers to the tube. affraid

I should have run screaming right then and resigned myself to living with an extra appendage on my hand for a few days.

In my mind I could totally see this idea working ~ he was trying to keep the blade aimed down toward the tube and just kind of scrape my skin away from the glue tube. In reality I was thinking, "he's gonna cut me, oh goodness he's gonna cut my finger right off!'

So I'm pulling my fingers trying to put as much space as possible between my skin and the tube (which wasn't much), and he starts carving with the knife, and of course, the knife slices right into my finger, and I think the wound even tore a bit since I was already pulling away from the tube. I screamed; the kids freaked out; and my husband feels absolutely horrible, poor dear, for filleting his wife's finger.

Too late I decide to run away, now looking for band-aids instead of safety from the knife-wielding man with good intentions. It took two band-aids to cover the flap of skin hanging from my mangled finger, and then it took ten more minutes to pry the tube of super glue off of my thumb. By myself. With no knife.

But at least my purse is fixed. Cool
HazyDaze
HazyDaze

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2011-09-25

Back to top Go down

This is what happens when you give super glue to a monkey.... Empty Re: This is what happens when you give super glue to a monkey....

Post by Criss Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:06 pm

Lmao well....if it help, they use super glue in the hospitals for certain types of cuts LOL Very Happy
Criss
Criss

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

This is what happens when you give super glue to a monkey.... Empty Re: This is what happens when you give super glue to a monkey....

Post by TheGildedCat Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:11 pm

Yup, tissue glue is essentially super glue, lol. I'm glad you eventually got it off!
TheGildedCat
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by helena Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:26 pm

OUCHY ouchy OUCH! I felt eeewy just thinking about that !

Next time just remove at the wrist - a cleaner cut that way :S

Very Happy

helena
helena

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2011-04-13

http://fancythatfacepainting.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ester K-D Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:23 pm

You are certainly NOT stupid...when I started reading the words "been there, done that" kept running through my mind! I'm glad you survived. I'm sure we ALL have superglue adventure stories...however, maybe it's time to do some SERIOUS thinking about looking into a new brand of glue!!!

Ester K-D

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2011-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by sweethavenarts Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:02 pm

Next time, use a thin nail file and NOT a knife. You sand the glue down to get digits apart. More time, but less damage. No, I've never had two fingers glued together.... Rolling Eyes
I've had more than one mishap with super glue.
Though my favourite super glue story was about the guy I dated in college who got super glue on his eyebrow and in the corner of his eye!!
sweethavenarts
sweethavenarts

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2011-06-20

http://www.sweethavenarts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:55 am

ACETONE? Isn't that what they use???? affraid

D.

(popcorn is staying down.... No)
Denise Cold
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HazyDaze Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:04 am

Ah, nail file!! Of course, it makes so much sense! (After the fact, lol.) I wonder why the hubs didn't think of that? He did give me a file later to help get all the extra dried glue off my thumb ~ the glue on the cut finger is just going to stay until it's good 'n ready to fall off, hehe. And super glue to the eye??? That is totally ER worthy in my book! affraid

Mind you, I didn't actually glue my fingers *together* ~ they were just glued to the glue tube. Razz

@ Helena, cut off the wrist, lol. That would have been much faster! *Where's the maniacal axe-wielding emoticon when you need it??*

@ Ester, thank you for the encouragement (and I think I will be sticking to Elmers glue from now on. "Sticking to..." hehe... tongue )

@ Denise, the nail polish remover had acetone in it, but I guess it wasn't strong enough. :/

Thank you all for the giggles. I couldn't think of a better way to get over this mess than to share and let others have a good laugh at our craziness. Very Happy
HazyDaze
HazyDaze

Back to top Go down

Post by elantaura Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:08 am

Bear Grylls says acitone (Worst case senario) acitone based nail polish remover (there are two types) and wiggle it free. took him 10 seconds.
but having said that I supperglued half my lips shut when I was a teenager, trying to fix somthing and my brother I remember gluing his thumb and two fingers to his head - lets say it was a dare gone wrong - it was hillarious.

I really Hope your finger heals soon!
elantaura
elantaura

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://suejuddfacepaintingandbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:54 am

I think this thread should be re-titled to "This is what happens when you give a KNIFE to a monkey!"

Still a little queasy.

D.
Denise Cold
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:05 am

I don't want to believe that I am the only one to have ever super glued their tongue....am I?

HazyDaze: funny, funny, funny....
geek
Denise...very cool dragon mask avatar.

Miss Ronnie
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by MeeMee Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:28 am

The things we try when we feel we're in a crisis. Hope your finger heals quick.
MeeMee
MeeMee

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.specialtimesentertainment.com

Back to top Go down

Post by IamGinaW Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:32 am

Ouch! Before you cut it, I would have suggested Acetone (I happen to have 100% pure acetone handy for removing face paint stains from my practice heads). ...but AFTER you cut it, oooh, keep that stuff away, it's going to hurt. Sorry about your poor finger. I've had similar mishaps (like super gluing my fingers to the heel of my foot)
IamGinaW
IamGinaW

Number of posts : 1626
Registration date : 2010-09-15

http://facesbygina.com

Back to top Go down

Post by IamGinaW Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:34 am

Hey, I think your husband owes you a new purse for filleting your finger, don't you?!
IamGinaW
IamGinaW

Number of posts : 1626
Registration date : 2010-09-15

http://facesbygina.com

Back to top Go down

Post by makin faces by synni Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:07 pm

OMG am laughing so hard right now. would love to hear how the lips got stuck together. oh and sticking the fingers to the head i bet that went down real well hehehehehehe
makin faces by synni
makin faces by synni

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2010-03-15

http://	facebook.com/synni80

Back to top Go down

Post by Arty-Farty Party Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:48 am

No... this is what happens when you give super glue to a monkey.

This is what happens when you give super glue to a monkey.... Potd-b10
Arty-Farty Party
Arty-Farty Party

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2011-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:21 am

OH MY! I didn't know if I should laugh or feel sorry for you? I don't touch super glue 'cause I know, in my hands, it'll be a disaster waiting to happen. I do a lot of set building for my church during VBS season & have glued my hands together w/ plumbers foam. I've also burned my finger prints off from hot gluing..... The best one was when my car was rear-ended & I decided to see if I could lift the exhaust pipe w/ my bare hand(burnt the skin right off) & then had to work an 8 hour waitressing shift(I think I lost the last layers of skin to the sizzling hot plates).
Praying for fast healing & a new purse for you!
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:49 am

OMGoodness! What a riot!
I'm sad about your sore fingers, and I know your hubby is feeling pretty rotten about it.
But, WOW! What a story!
However did you type with a gimpy finger?
rthling
rthling

Number of posts : 1830
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HazyDaze Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:41 am

Psalmbook wrote:OH MY! I didn't know if I should laugh or feel sorry for you?

You can laugh. Very Happy My finger is getting better~ it already doesn't hurt so much anymore.

rthling wrote:However did you type with a gimpy finger?

Slowly! lol Razz
HazyDaze
HazyDaze

Back to top Go down

Post by artyfacesbyluz Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:12 pm

You guys don't know what really happen when you give superglue to a real monkey.
[img]This is what happens when you give super glue to a monkey.... Superg10[/img][img]This is what happens when you give super glue to a monkey.... Superg11[/img]
My daughter was 2 years old when she chewed on superglue, her lips were glued together and her face looked like a Special FX from a horror movie, I used Vaseline to unglue her lips and her teeth were all crystallized by the glue. After 3 hours in the emergency room the doctor said we didn't have to do anything because when the glue gets contact the saliva its crystallized and stayed on her mouth so the chance to get poisoned by the glue was minimum, and we didn't supposed to clean her teeth because we can damage to the enamel. It was totally cleaned in 2 days.
So let's keep superglue away from monkeys.
artyfacesbyluz
artyfacesbyluz

Number of posts : 956
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.artyfacesbyluz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HazyDaze Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:01 pm

OMG, artyfacesbyluz, wow! Just wow! Poor baby. I'm glad it all worked out okay. :/
HazyDaze
HazyDaze

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:11 pm

Oh wow! My son sprayed bug spray in his eyes when he was 7. Scared me to death. He was determined to kill a moth & when the spray didn't work, he turned it around & sprayed it in his eyes. So, don't give bug spray to a monkey either Very Happy
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by fezinafelina Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:19 pm

Oh lord, I feel ya girl!
I have my own super glue nightmares, what is it about super glue that turns otherwise intelligent competent people into unnaturally (and unhappily) fused "monkeys"???
Not a few days ago my oldest broke his glasses, yep, glued my fingers to his glasses trying to fix them.

fezinafelina

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2011-07-21

https://www.facebook.com/facepaintingbyfelina

Back to top Go down

Post by fezinafelina Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:21 pm

artyfacesbyluz - I cannot imagine what that ER visit must have been like! I have a very mischievous 3 year old daughter and I can totally see her doing that! So glad she was ok!

fezinafelina

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2011-07-21

https://www.facebook.com/facepaintingbyfelina

Back to top Go down

Post by elantaura Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:40 pm

How I stuck my lips together

I have 2 brothers and 1 sister, My mother was at work came from a single parent family . needless to say after school was sometimes a little crazy.
My brother threw a ball in the house hit a vase smashed it. So gave it to me and my sister to fix we had 30 mins before mum was due home. we were working fast and hands were full with pieces of vase, We didn’t want to put tube of glue on the table. So I was holding it in my mouth teeth then – I sneezed.

It stuck to my teeth - not together sort of coated them and the right half of my lips together . Took ages to get off and took a little skin off. But the vase remained undetected for years until we were all adults. As she used it for artificial flowers only, and just thought the glaze was a little cracked.
When at Christmas dinner (2002) and we were all present my brother brought flowers she put them in that vase and filled it with water. Halfway though it just shattered and we all told her what happened, it was very funny by then.

Oh and I was born in the year of the monkey

Last edited by elantaura on Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:51 am; edited 1 time in total
elantaura
elantaura

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://suejuddfacepaintingandbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next