Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Camel Hair paint brushes??

3 posters

Go down

Camel Hair paint brushes?? Empty Camel Hair paint brushes??

Post by Judy101 Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:56 am

I found a set of paint brushes that I would like to purchase because it has all the sizes I need. They are Loew-Cornell paintbrushes. The only problem I have is that they are made of camel hair. Has anyone used camel hair paint brushes? Are they any good? What type of material should I use since I am only a beginner? Thanks guys! Embarassed

Judy101

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-08-22

Back to top Go down

Camel Hair paint brushes?? Empty Re: Camel Hair paint brushes??

Post by Guest Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:02 am

Camel can be stiff or soft...

If stiff they would be more suited to oil painting.

Do they say for water colours? If so, they should be fine - but camel is NOT generally used for face painting.

Camel Hair

An all encompassing term for a variety of animal hairs none of which are camel, used alone or in combinations to create brushes.

Hairs commonly used in "camel hair" brushes include ox, goat, squirrel and pony hair. The least expensive camel hair brushes are made of pony hair cut from the back or mane. Mane hair, because of its long length, can yield many brushes when cut into short pieces, but this eliminates the natural tip on the hair necessary for good performance. Soft hair brushes categorized as ˜school grade" are quite often made from this long pony hair and utilize production methods where the brush maker can make multiple brush heads at one time.

Generally considered to be inferior to red sable brushes, camel hair brushes are desirable for specific applications. For example, camel hair mop brushes can be perfect for blending oils or doing watercolor washes; squirrel hair for lettering and china painting. These hairs can also be blended into synthetic brushes to soften the brush and increase its absorbency without a large increase in cost.

Last edited by Shannon Fennell on Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Stacia Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:59 am

I don't know....I purchased some camel hair Loew Cornell brushes when I was first starting paint and they were so horrible. I couldn't use them at all, the soft one kind of just acted like a soggy limp wet mop, and two of them were the stiff kind and WAY too hard for painting on faces. I gave them to my 4 year old for his watercolors and he even rejected them. The soft one had a purple handle and the stiff ones were orange. HTH.
Stacia
Stacia

Number of posts : 750
Registration date : 2010-07-13

https://www.facebook.com/BoiseFacePainting

Back to top Go down

Post by Judy101 Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:30 pm

Thank you very much for your responses!

Judy101

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post by ParTIA Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:50 pm

I don't personally like the camel hair brushes for face paint, I haven't been able to get a nice tip with mine. I ended up putting them with my craft paints.
ParTIA
ParTIA

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2011-07-05

http://www.partiafacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down