Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hair Spray or Setting the paint

+5
MelodyFPL
JZino
Gamezgirl
Miss Ronnie
Rampant
9 posters

Go down

Hair Spray or Setting the paint Empty Hair Spray or Setting the paint

Post by Rampant Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:39 am

For doing both layered work and to protect vs smudging, is there a particular spray that works well? One guy I know uses some hair spray but I wonder if there is a particular brand/type that works particularly well.

Rampant

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2012-01-16

Back to top Go down

Hair Spray or Setting the paint Empty Re: Hair Spray or Setting the paint

Post by Miss Ronnie Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:16 pm

Hair spray???? I don't know of anyone using hair spray... but I could be wrong. Hair spray on the face; definitely not!
Miss Ronnie
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Rampant Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:23 pm

he doesn't do much face work, mainly the rest of the body.

Rampant

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamezgirl Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:42 pm

I've used aerosol hairspray on a mom's belly to help it not fade as much before she got home to show hubby...cheaper the better...LOL Actually I have $1 a can stuff to use as fuel in a potato canon. THAT is why I get the cheap stuff. LOL I'm sure any hairspray will work. Smile Just give a few gentle coats from a distance..your not trying to soak it in one go...
Gamezgirl
Gamezgirl

Number of posts : 473
Registration date : 2009-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by JZino Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:17 am

When Body Painting, I use Aqua Net as a cheap alternative to Ben Nye Final Seal. The components are almost identical but different perfume I guess. I've used Aqua Net to set my own face paint when I know I'll be at a fair in the heat all day. It does seem to prevent me from sweating the paint off.
JZino
JZino

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2009-09-20

http://www.jzino-bodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MelodyFPL Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:53 am

I read this and tried it on myself this morning. I didn't notice a difference, BUT I wasn't standing in the sun, or sweating, and it wasn't body paint here it would rub together/on stuff, either. So I can't really form an accurate opinion. Maybe some of our warm weather gals can try it for you? Jzino in the post above, says it works for her! I am curious to try it again.

I don't think I would suggest using hairspray on kids faces. I can only imagine the mother when a painter whips out a can of hairspray and tells little Sally to close her eyes, LOL!

MelodyFPL
MelodyFPL

Number of posts : 943
Registration date : 2011-07-02

http://www.nyfacepaintlady.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rampant Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:58 am

When we used it it had two purposes:

First, to hold hair down on arms, etc, as much as possible. We were painting dancers so (being ladies) they didn't have a lot of arm/leg/back hair lol.

Second, to keep the paint from smearing as easily. I don't know how well that worked but it seemed to help at least some.

Rampant

Back to top Go down

Post by MelodyFPL Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:11 am

Rampant wrote:
First, to hold hair down on arms, etc, as much as possible.

Ohhhh... SMART!!
MelodyFPL
MelodyFPL

Back to top Go down

Post by Rampant Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:35 am

It works well as long as there isn't a lot of hair. I'm a guy, and not a particularly hairy one, but my arm hair is such that even with hairspray it gets in the way. Some of it is just how long the hairs are, not how many. So, a woman with little hair and all short (like 2-3mm) should be fine. 5mm+ and it got a bit unwieldy.

I'm looking at the Kryolan fixier stuff now...

Rampant

Back to top Go down

Post by MelodyFPL Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:16 am

Rampant wrote:
I'm looking at the Kryolan fixier stuff now...

Let us know what you think of it!
MelodyFPL
MelodyFPL

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:06 pm

I can't see a huge problem with spraying it on a face, although I don't see it really being necessary on a face in the first place. Hairspray is something people spray around their heads already, and you inadvertently get a little on your face when using it on hair anyway, which is no big deal.

I've tried it on my inner arm, because that's where I do my practice doodling, and it's an area that I find paint rubs off from. It seems to help a little. Not all hairspray is the same though - the one I normally use sprays on quite dry and is fine over paint. The other day I tried a different (cheaper) brand I bought just for my arms (so I wasn't wasting my 'good' hairspray), but it was completely different - as soon as I sprayed it the black lines all started to run everywhere & it ruined the paint.
Coral3
Coral3

Number of posts : 570
Registration date : 2012-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Rampant Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:23 pm

Apparently the 'fixer' sprays like Kryolan's Fixier are the way to go. They are specifically designed to make the paints hold.

I'll pick up a bottle in the next couple weeks and see how it does.

Rampant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:32 pm

One reason my company uses professional grade products is because we are professionals. I charge clients a rate that takes into account top quality products. Sure we like to cut corners to keep profit in our pockets, but frankly if you can't afford professional grade products as a professional your doing something wrong.

I have body painted models in a TFP situation and used hairspray. I will say as noted earlier that not all hairspray reacts over all makeup/paints they same. Some paints will get spotches and some gooey.

For paid work Mehron Fixing spray works very well - great in fact. Hands down I swear by Kryolan, the pump is great+ and sorry mother earth but the areosal is the very best. I pose models in 100* weather, in trees, on rocks and makeup stays put.

If you are a professional use, look and act professional. It's a standard that in the long run will put more money in your pockets.
Sweet Loretta
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JZino Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:38 pm

I can't justify the expense of $25-$30 (depending on where you're shopping) for a product I rarely use. I keep the Aqua Net around in the off chance that I may actually need it. Where's the line between looking professional and being ripped off?
I can count the number of outdoor shoots I've done on one hand. Now, if body painting for folks at festivals really picks up for me, then I would look into keeping a professional fixer around. It definitely looks like I would prefer the Kryolan over the Ben Nye I have used in the past.

JZino
JZino

Back to top Go down

Post by martha Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:57 pm

JZino wrote:When Body Painting, I use Aqua Net as a cheap alternative to Ben Nye Final Seal. The components are almost identical but different perfume I guess. I've used Aqua Net to set my own face paint when I know I'll be at a fair in the heat all day. It does seem to prevent me from sweating the paint off.

So...maybe a stupid question BUT how do you KNOW that the "professional" products didn't start out being hair spray? If a lot of face paints start out basically the same in some factory in China, how do you know that non-aerosol Aqua-Net and Ben-Nye Final Seal aren't similiar? Just something to think about. scratch
martha
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by JUST Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:19 pm

Barrier Spray™ was developed as an under base for 3-D Gelatin appliances to increase durability. Barrier Spray™ by Mehron is "wonder spray" that also works to insulate sensitive skin from harsh adhesives. Barrier Spray™ may be misted on top of finished powder makeup to set and preserve the makeup application. Barrier Spray™ can be used under makeup to stop sweat or over makeup to set it after applying ColorSet Powder. Barrier Spray™ is another innovation of Mehron, Premier Performance Makeup. 2 oz. Spray Pump Bottle
Kryolan - Aerosal Fixier Spray 400ml
Image 1

RRP:
Price:
$23.25 (excluding tax)
SKU:
IA-0036-04-003
Vendor:
Brand:
Kryolan Co
Condition:
Weight:
Rating:
5 1 ( 1 product review )
Availability:
Shipping:
Current Stock:
Gift Wrapping:
Quantity:
Buy in bulk and save

* Description
* Similar Products
* Reviews

Product Description

A groovy spray fixative for AQUACOLOR and other water-based makeup for face, hands and body. Protects against heavy perspiration. Washes off with soap and warm water. For extra effective protection spray on skin before makeup application as well as after.
http://www.makeupmania.com/products/Kryolan-%252d-Aerosal-Fixier-Spray-400ml.html

JUST
JUST

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by martha Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:16 pm

I don't use either hair spray or "professional" products that cost more per ounce than filet mignon. I understand how things are marketed but I also understand that some products in use for one purpose sometimes gravitate to other fields.
For example, collodion is used in FX but for years in the Operating Room we have used flexible collodion as a waterproof surgical dressing on kiddos. Super-glue has found its way into the world of medicine with minor changes in formulation as a wound closure. Glycerin is an ingredient in face paints and you can buy it as a suppository for constipation.
BTW, here is the MSDS sheet for the Mehron barrier spray.
http://www.facepaintsdirect.co.uk/MSDS/Mehron%20MSDS/Mehron%20Barrier%20Spray.pdf
Please notice that its primary two components are alcohol and water and that in case of contact with eyes, you should flush immediately with water. Contains methylparaben. Should not be ingested. Flammable. Rest of the ingredients found in a lot of hair sprays and hair gels.
Personal opinion...wouldn't use it to face paint.
martha
martha

Back to top Go down

Post by JZino Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:03 pm

marta wrote:I don't use either hair spray or "professional" products that cost more per ounce than filet mignon.
LOL Well put. Nice research! Yeah, I wouldn't go around spraying it on kids faces either. My own face or painted bodies is another story, imo.
JZino
JZino

Back to top Go down

Post by martha Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:13 pm

Yeah, what you would put onyourself or simply a body is one thing...face and respiratory tract whole other story. We don't bring out the cleaning stuff in the OR until the patient has gone to PACU for fear of inducing laryngeal spasm. Little known story but Buddy Ebsen was supposed to be Tin Man in Wizard of Oz. He was hospitalized with severe respiratory problems due to silver powder he inhaled during makeup. Had to be replaced and the makeup was changed to a cream base.
martha
martha

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down