Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paint Brushes

+4
Maaike
Mandi from Tazzie
Daphne
tamarielpaints
8 posters

Go down

Paint Brushes Empty Paint Brushes

Post by tamarielpaints Wed May 04, 2011 1:30 am

I'm tempted to stick this in 'what's your beef'. I bought a package of some synthetic American Painter brushes and after some practicing, a gig, more practicing, etc (maybe 3-4 months of semi-heavy use) the brushes literally cr**ed out on me. I've been painting glass and wood for YEARS and I've never had that happen to me! (And yes, I take good care of my brushes being careful to let them try, clean them thoroughly but gently etc).

Many of the brushes the outer part of the brush FLAKED off and got incredibly yucky, some of the brushes had the handles crack in half. One of the brushes had the metal part separate from the wooden handle.

1) Is it normal for face painting brushes to fall apart this fast? Did I buy a 'bad brand'? Did I just get a 'lemon' bag?
2) Should I be using sable instead of synthetic for facepaints? Could that have influenced anything?
3) What brand of brushes do you LOVE/invest in?
tamarielpaints
tamarielpaints

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2010-12-07

http://www.tamarielpaints.com

Back to top Go down

Paint Brushes Empty Re: Paint Brushes

Post by Daphne Wed May 04, 2011 3:47 am

I don't know those brushes, but I would be ***** to.

I use Da vinci brushes made of marterhaar ( marten hair? some sort of weasel Wink )

For my work ( nail desinger ) I already used this brand and when I started facepainting i sticked to the brand.

Daphne
Daphne

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi from Tazzie Wed May 04, 2011 4:04 am

I don't know the brand either, it seems far too quick for any brush to cr** out. I've had some Frenchville for many years & still use them. I have recently just purchased some Mark Reid signature brushes & some Royal Majestic which I'm enjoying the use of both.
Mandi from Tazzie
Mandi from Tazzie

Number of posts : 1826
Registration date : 2010-04-03

http://www.mandifacepaintingsupplies.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by Maaike Wed May 04, 2011 4:50 am

I used grimas and they were great. Until!!! I discovered Da Vinci.
I do'nt know the brand you're talking about but is sucks!
Maaike
Maaike

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2011-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by WickedBA Wed May 04, 2011 10:59 am

I dont know that brand. I currently have a few different brand of brushes I had one of them fall apart when I first started but I wasn't very nice to it. I left it in water a lot ect. other wise I really like my Lowe Cornell
WickedBA
WickedBA

Number of posts : 373
Registration date : 2010-10-21

http://WickedBodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Wed May 04, 2011 4:27 pm

Maybe write an email to the company? See what they say.
JBax
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 04, 2011 11:16 pm

Frenchville? I've tried to locate that brand but no luck over here. A friend in OZ sent me a bunch of "dolls"... LOVE 'EM!!

I have brushes that the paint starts to flake off (generally the less expensive brands) so I paint the handles with nail polish and seal the edge of the ferrule to the handle.

My very expensive Winsor & Newton Cirrus #6 & 4 sables generally only last me about 6 months. And I take VERY good care of them! But the cleaning and rinsing in alcohol after every person takes a toll on them.

I've had brushes fall apart too... various brands and types. I had the loofe (the hair) fall completely out of the ferrule (the metal), I've had the ferrule fall off, handles split... it happens.

Natural vs synthetic should make no difference.

I've got a few American Painter in my kit - got them at Michaels. Haven't had any issues with them and they are a couple of years old.

But it is interesting that the whole package crapped out on you!

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Thu May 05, 2011 9:44 am

I've used the American Painter brand (the pale, pearl pink) and Ive never experienced what you describe and I've had mine for about 2 years. What is your procedure for cleaning your brushes? If you have time, could you provide a step by step of your cleaning method? The clue might lie in that. If nothing can be found there, then I'd definitely contact the company because I've never had an American Painter brush fall apart on me.
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns Thu May 05, 2011 10:31 am

I don't particularly like using wooden handle brushes expressly for that reason that they peel and sometimes split. I have a couple that are really nice and when I use them I have to make sure whatever container I dip them in, the water level stays below the level of the ferrule so the wood doesn't come in contact with the water.

With the exception of a few of my favorites I will be phasing them out of my kit as I find others (acrylic handles) to replace them
ChangingFaceDesigns
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Fri May 06, 2011 4:25 pm

The thing is that the wood is laquered so unless the brushes are sitting in water for an extended period of time, this doesn't make much sense. I'm leaning toward it being a defect with the brushes. My american painters look just as good as the day i bought them... at least the handles do, lol. I don't soak any of my brushes just in case water seeps through the brushes to the handle.
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down