Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Linework: your favourite brushes and paint for the job...

+16
CottonKandyClown
MelindaT0813
SEZnz
photomomma6
cattsy
AUSSIE3070
wmeventservices
HappyVickery
Psalmbook
Sparklyone
lclark
Metina
tamarielpaints
Fabtastic
Perry Noia
Fun2Play
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Linework: your favourite brushes and paint for the job... Empty Linework: your favourite brushes and paint for the job...

Post by Fun2Play Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:27 am

I've been avidly reading through this wonderful forum for the past couple of weeks. Very inspiring and so helpful.

So I too have just 'discovered' this terribly addictive but highly enjoyable pastime (facepainting, not forums Razz ), and I also have a new paint palette from TAG - which I'm loving. My immediate problem seems to be that I still only have a handful of brushes and can't quite get them to work with me to create nice, pointed or tapering lines. It's not just my control - which I think is ok, not great, but ok... although I do need practice, but I also think it's the consistency of the paint and perhaps the type of brush I'm using. I have been researching techniques and doing my best, but it just isn't working as well as it should.

So here comes my questions... What is your favourite brand, type and size of brush for general line work? And which brand/type of paint do you prefer for black/white lines?

Of course, I'll keep on practicing with what I have, but I would really be interested in your opinions.
Fun2Play
Fun2Play

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2011-06-04

http://www.fun2play.com.au

Back to top Go down

Linework: your favourite brushes and paint for the job... Empty Re: Linework: your favourite brushes and paint for the job...

Post by Perry Noia Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:37 am

I've been doing almost everything with a no 4 round lately... I have found that the longer i do this, the thinner my "go to" brush has become... I paint fast by doing almost everything with the same brush.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Linework: your favourite brushes and paint for the job... Empty Re: Linework: your favourite brushes and paint for the job...

Post by Fabtastic Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:38 pm

I also do almost everything with a #4 round brush - generally the Mark Reid one that I bought from the FPForum Shop. I have a #0 Princeton that I use only for superfine details (like drawing the eye on my unicorn, the palm trees in my sunset, etc). I could probably use the #4 for that by using only the very tip, but my #0 is dedicated to black paint so it's super easy to grab and use for things like that.

I use Diamond FX for linework, especially white. I only use the DFX black if it is over top of another colour, because I find it stains a lot. If I am doing linework directly on the skin, I use Snazaroo.
Fabtastic
Fabtastic

Number of posts : 639
Registration date : 2010-07-10

http://www.fabtastic.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by tamarielpaints Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:37 pm

I currently am loving my DFX white, black, and colored metallics (specifically gold, bronze, and light blue) for linework. Other faves for linework include Wolfe White. I've never tried TAG non-splits or Wolfe Black.

Isabelle - I find that on my arm, DFX will stain until I use moisturizer. On my face though DFX comes off in a heartbeat. It doesn't matter if I have a color under or not.
tamarielpaints
tamarielpaints

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2010-12-07

http://www.tamarielpaints.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:22 pm

your face and a child's face may not react the same way though...

I only use Snazaroo for anything.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Fun2Play Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:10 am

Thanks. I have heard Loew Cornell brushes are the best around (at least in Australia), so I am planning to invest in a couple. I'm thinking I'll try #4 round, and a #6 round as well (for flowers). Appreciate your input.
Fun2Play
Fun2Play

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:37 am

I was always a big fan of the sable round #4's, but since I started carrying the Mark Reid brushes, his number #4's are super for almost everything. Tiger Stripes, Dots(with enough paint loaded) and lines. I almost use these exclusively now.

-Metina
Metina
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lclark Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:07 am

I was having the same problem with tapering my lines. I have tried so many brushes. flavor of the month is Vargus brushes I got from FABAIC. I do love Mark Reid and Lowell Cornelle of course. Keep trying until you find what works. I did learn at FABAIC one of the instructors said that I was holding my brush to far up needed to hold more like a pencil and they were right I have more control now but i have to remind myself all the time to scoot fingers down closer to metal tip. Well I just thought I'd mention since this really helped me. Good luck and happy painting. I use Wolfe Black works so well for me didn't bother trying anything else. As far as paints go it's some of everything.
lclark
lclark

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2011-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparklyone Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:43 pm

Another LC #4 round lover here. Smile I also have a black plastic handled Royal Majestic #5 round that I love and plan to get in #3 and #4. I like #3 for teeny tiny faces as I find it easier to do those itty bitty lines and teardrops somehow.

One of the things I am practicing to gain better control for linework, teardrops, swirls, etc. is to hold the brush almost straight up and apply or reduce pressure as needed (rather than using the side of the bristles as I had started out doing). Heather at SillyFarm gave me a wonderful private lesson on linework and that was the first immediate thing she saw (we are both lefties in case that matters to you). My fave practice lesson is making teardrops then seeing how thinly I can outline them, really great for learning control and pressure. Smile

I started using Paradise and Kyrolan but once I got DFX black and white my lines greatly improved! I use it on all my clients and my own kids and we haven't had any staining issues but I also understand and respect that each artist has their own experiences and preferences. I love you

Sparklyone

Number of posts : 474
Registration date : 2011-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:49 pm

#4 and #6 kolinsky sable rounds are my go to brushes for most everything. #2 for fine detail.

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:42 pm

Small round detail brush(the ones that come w/ the wolfe pallet are wonderful), #2-#6 round.
For paint it's either DFX or Wolfe.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyVickery Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:28 pm

I agree with Linda. . . the wolfe detail brush is awesome for tiny things! I usually use a round #4 for outlining or lately I've been grabbing a #7 for my Tiger stripes. I really want to try to Mark Reid brushes, but haven't bought any yet.

I like the wolfe paint best of all, especially for line work. . . I for bases I use wolfe, paradise, or snazaroo. . .Usually keep the snaz for little kids or people that are really pale.

Even using mostly Wolfe, I haven't had anyone complain about staining, but I tell the parents to make sure it gets washed off before bed time.
HappyVickery
HappyVickery

Number of posts : 538
Registration date : 2011-05-31

http://www.smileyfacesfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:03 am

People kept saying the Mark Reid and the Majestics were similar so I gave the Majestics a shot and they are my go to brushes now. I love them and they look professional with the all black look. I don;t really have a specific size that is my go to as that changes almost on a daily basis depending on what type of painting I'm looking to improve on.

As far as paints, TAG is great.
wmeventservices
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AUSSIE3070 Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:41 am

trinkie wrote:Thanks. I have heard Loew Cornell brushes are the best around (at least in Australia), so I am planning to invest in a couple. I'm thinking I'll try #4 round, and a #6 round as well (for flowers). Appreciate your input.

I love my Loew Cornell! I use th #2 and #4 mostly and #6 for flowers.

I haven't found a really fine brush I love as yet . . . still searching.

Where abouts in Oz are you?
AUSSIE3070
AUSSIE3070

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2010-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by AUSSIE3070 Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:44 am

. . and WFX for white for sure!!! I like Paradise black for lines (I have heard that WFX black is hard to remove but I bought some and had no probs)

. . .I'm in Melbourne btw.
AUSSIE3070
AUSSIE3070

Back to top Go down

Post by Fun2Play Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:11 am

Lol.... there seems to be a few favourites, so I'm just going to have to make a decision from a shortlist: Loew Cornell, Mark Reid, Majestic - these names seem to keep coming up. When I have a chance I'll try and find some Australian suppliers.

Aussie3070, I'm in Northern NSW. We've had a lot of rain here lately!
Fun2Play
Fun2Play

Back to top Go down

Post by cattsy Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:05 am

I was having a terrible time with my lines, points, swirls and teardrops.

THought it was my brushes, hated every single one. Sat down to figure out what the problem was, I have some very expensive brushes so I figured there had to be at least ONE that worked...

I discovered it was the consistency of the paint. I was making it too thick, so it wouldn't lay smoothly on the skin and I was getting "skid marks" at the ends of my lines instead of a nice point. Now that I've got my consistency right my brushes aren't so bad :p just needs to be a little wetter for good linework. Takes a bit of practice, cause it's a really fine line between too thick and too runny!

I have discovered though that I need a #4 and a #1 dedicated solely to black, cause darn black is soooo hard to rinse out of a brush!!
cattsy
cattsy

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Fun2Play Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Cattsy, I suspect you are right about the consistency of the paint, because sometimes my end points are quite nice, other times just not. I will try and make the paint a little more wet and see if that helps. I just wish I had more opportunity to practice. My 6yo is now saying 'no!' when I ask if I can paint him, and I am waiting for a practice head to arrive (which has taken a very long time, perhaps because of the recent floods/hwy closed).
Fun2Play
Fun2Play

Back to top Go down

Post by cattsy Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:40 pm

Oh honey! That's what arms and legs are for!!! I often sit in front of the TV or whatever and practice swirls and teardrops and dots on my arms and legs. Plent of open skin to get the feel for it, and also, when you paint yourself you can "feel" the consistency of the paint too Very Happy
cattsy
cattsy

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by photomomma6 Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:28 pm

Lowe Cornell brushes are really good, but I must tell you, I went to the art store with my husband and splurged on an ESCODA---WOW!!! My #4 gets used every time now. THAT is the brush of all brushes. smooth baby. real smooth
photomomma6
photomomma6

Number of posts : 466
Registration date : 2009-08-31

http://www.facelation.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabtastic Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:55 pm

Someone else recommended Escodas also, but I wasn't sure which ones they meant. When I looked at Currys (the art supply store I often buy from), they have several different Escodas "series" - I was going to buy an Escoda Kolinsky-Tajmyr Sable 1212 but wasn't sure if they were what I wanted. There were some Escoda Toray Gold Synthetics that looked nice too. What is yours? I love trying new brushes but prefer to go with a recommendation. Thanks!! Very Happy
Fabtastic
Fabtastic

Number of posts : 639
Registration date : 2010-07-10

http://www.fabtastic.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by SEZnz Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:13 am

I love hearing about brushes! (how sad)

Have ordered some Mark Reid ones and I've been using mostly Majestics so interested to see how I get on.
SEZnz
SEZnz

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2010-05-16

http://www.fabfaces.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by photomomma6 Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:43 pm

I have a #4 I use specifically for black because I do a LOT of line work with black. LOVE IT!!
photomomma6
photomomma6

Number of posts : 466
Registration date : 2009-08-31

http://www.facelation.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AUSSIE3070 Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:14 am

cattsy wrote:Oh honey! That's what arms and legs are for!!! I often sit in front of the TV or whatever and practice swirls and teardrops and dots on my arms and legs. Plent of open skin to get the feel for it, and also, when you paint yourself you can "feel" the consistency of the paint too Very Happy

Absolutely - I can see it now, there is a face painter in every country in the world with sleeves and trousers rolled up! I fill Australia's spot almost every night!

My 5yo daughter was super enthusiastic at first, now I have to beg! I've given up and just paint on my arms and legs and my practice head, however, as Cattsy has said, I prefer to feel it on my own skin.

I paint with Paradise but got a shipment of DFX. DFX feels so different! It really tightens up on the skin ... I love the colours but as a base I think i will always use Paradise.

I tried out the Renoir from Bunnings and found it to hold A LOT of paint!!! it just went on, and on, and on and on . . . . I'm going to try some more sizes because I really liked it.
AUSSIE3070
AUSSIE3070

Back to top Go down

Post by Fun2Play Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:40 am

Well I ordered 2x lowe cornell #4's, they arrived today. Instantly they made a difference. I must say I'm very happy with the results. Pointy points!
Fun2Play
Fun2Play

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next