Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Colouring hair for a face paint design?

+3
martha
Erica's Funny Faces
Kammy
7 posters

Go down

Colouring hair for a face paint design? Empty Colouring hair for a face paint design?

Post by Kammy Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:03 pm

This is slightly off-topic, but I'm hoping someone here can help. In a moment that was either reckless courage or crass stupidity, I registered for the face painting competition at Paintopia - in the "Novice" category, obviously! I'm musing on design ideas and have one vaguely forming in my head, but it would call for matching hair to finish the effect.

Basically, I'd need to tie/gel back a head of fine, blonde hair and then temporarily paint/gel/spray/otherwise colour it - TEMPORARILY or the model might just kill me - in shades of gold, silver-grey and bronze/copper.

This would need to be done quickly and easily, as I'd only have one hour start to finish, to complete the entire design. It would also need to wash out at the first try.

I've seen some gels, sprays and so on, but thought I'd ask for recommendations here! This might be pie in the sky, but it's an interesting idea I thought I'd explore. Very Happy

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give me.

Kammy x

P.S. I'm petrified.

Last edited by Kammy on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Kammy
Kammy

Number of posts : 1408
Registration date : 2012-09-04

Back to top Go down

Colouring hair for a face paint design? Empty Re: Colouring hair for a face paint design?

Post by Erica's Funny Faces Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:25 pm

How about regular face paint hun? That's what I use...
Erica's Funny Faces
Erica's Funny Faces

Number of posts : 1306
Registration date : 2012-08-20

http://www.thefunnyfacepainter.com

Back to top Go down

Colouring hair for a face paint design? Empty Re: Colouring hair for a face paint design?

Post by martha Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:57 pm

Yep, face paint - sponge works fine.
martha
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:08 pm

^ I third face paint
Coral3
Coral3

Number of posts : 570
Registration date : 2012-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:55 pm

Regular Metallic Face Paint.

xoxox
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by amylady222 Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:47 pm

so excited for you! This will be awesome!
Can't wait to see pictures!
I think face paint would work good---I asked the same quesion (about face paint in the hair) and someone posted some pictures and they looked super cool!
YEAH!
amylady222
amylady222

Number of posts : 1176
Registration date : 2012-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:03 am

I considered that, but won't it use a wholeeeee lot? Or does it use about the same as painting a face? I could buy extra copper/gold at the event, I suppose. Will it go on well over lotttttts of extra-strength hair gel? I'd need her hair as flat as possible for the design I'm vaguely considering, but I'm not allowed to use prosthetics such as bald caps.

Thanks for all the help and support. It's SO appreciated. Smile

Kammy xx

P.S. Still petrified.
Kammy
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by amylady222 Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:06 am

are you doing the whole head of hair (Everything that has been slicked back?) Around our area I would guess that face paint would have the best coverage..

HUmmm-at Halloween stores here we can buy spray in hair color, but I know from personal experiences that silver doesn't show up on light hair-looks more like a light glitter--and on dark hair it comes out grey. Gold worked OK, but nothing bright--can't find the spray stuff in copper here so never tried it.

amylady222
amylady222

Number of posts : 1176
Registration date : 2012-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Erica's Funny Faces Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:15 am

I have used it on my own light hair with gel and my oldest daughter's dark hair with hair grease, it worked fine in both. Had good coverage and when the paint hit the gel it seemed to reactivate it to so they blended together well. I would suggest FAB gold...
Erica's Funny Faces
Erica's Funny Faces

Number of posts : 1306
Registration date : 2012-08-20

http://www.thefunnyfacepainter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:15 pm

Having taught a Hair Painting I can tell you that since you want to do a blonde it is advisable to go with the temporary color hair sprays like Kryolan which washes out very well. The face paint pigments will tend to stain the hair even after washing.

Kryolan is great quality and the silver will show up. I have used many colors in my son's long blond hair. It all has washed out easy. So have most hair brush paints.

One of my artists is actually airbrushing in my hair today. It is very long and very blonde, both naturally and with left over year old highlights... my hair just holds color.
Sweet Loretta
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:34 pm

Thanks for the advice and help, everyone. Smile It's so good to have this place here for encouragement and information! I love you

Erica - FAB gold and silver, TAG copper and bronze green are the main colours I was planning on. Smile

Loretta - thank you for that! I've seen the Kryolan sprays and they're what I was thinking about using. I don't want my model's beautiful hair to get ruined if it's still the very light blonde that it is in her portfolio shot, and if she's dyed it dark then I know from someone else that the Kryolan sprays will still work well, as well as the body paints.

So....buy the sprays, maybe paint a little over the hairline with the FAB (mine's actually Superstar, but samey sameness) and TAG? My artist friend is making me a headpiece too, so that'll cover most of her hair if it all works out. It's really just making sure the whole idea melds together. Right now, I have a definite image of how I want it to look......and no idea how, or whether I'll pull it off! Very Happy I can only try, right??

I'm not expecting to place in the competition - I've only been painting since September, after all - but I think it'll be a good experience, and a big challenge for me to "feel the fear and do it anyway", as they say.

Thanks again!

Kammy x
Kammy
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down