Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is your favourite brand of liquid latex?

+2
Mehndi Masala
CATZ
6 posters

Go down

What is your favourite brand of liquid latex? Empty What is your favourite brand of liquid latex?

Post by CATZ Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:34 pm

I've tried Graftobian, but there are other brands. Have you noticed a difference in quality? I bought an 8 oz bottle of Graftobian at a local dance shop and it didn't take to the glitter very well. I had a small bottle of the same brand that worked great. I exchanged the larger bottle, but I haven't tried it yet. I'm wondering what experiences you all have had.

Here is a small sample of glitter on black latex on my hand. I just bought some white that I hope will make the colours really pop! I'm loving how it just peels off when the model is ready to clean up. Much easier to remove than the cosmetic glue.

What is your favourite brand of liquid latex? Efp10718

Has anyone any experience with 'Maximum Impact' liquid latex?

Thanks,
CATZ
CATZ

Number of posts : 887
Registration date : 2009-10-04

http://www.CATZfaces.com

Back to top Go down

What is your favourite brand of liquid latex? Empty Re: What is your favourite brand of liquid latex?

Post by Guest Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:42 pm

I've used Graftobian and Mehron and can't say I've ever noticed a difference. To me, latex is latex.

HOWEVER, I am about to do a full body latex & glitter thing so will let you know what happens... I've got clear, black, white, red and blue.

Back to top Go down

What is your favourite brand of liquid latex? Empty Re: What is your favourite brand of liquid latex?

Post by CATZ Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:05 pm

ohhh...can't wait to see photos Very Happy
CATZ
CATZ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:30 pm

Me too! I'm doing up Amy (my mom's aide and my sometimes assistant/model) for a Wearable Art Show on Oct 1st.

This is my supply list (I'm not telling WHAT it is Laughing )

Blue fun foam
White fun foam
Gold leaf
Blue duct tape
clear latex
white latex
blue latex
red latex
turquoise beads
lapis beads
glass beads
gold tape
tonnes of white holographic glitter
gold glitter
turquoise glitter
silver glitter
pipe cleaners
craft wire

Back to top Go down

Post by CATZ Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:43 am

You are such a tease!! I have a tonne of beads too...now you got me thinking... Suspect

What is 'fun foam' and how does it hold up?
CATZ
CATZ

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehndi Masala Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:21 am

??? Well now I'm curious!!! I've started playing with creating clay moulds and making simple prosthetics.....picked up a super small bottle of latex (graftoban) to play as I didn't want to invest too much on a whim. Is this the same latex you guys are talking about? Are all latex products equal??? Perhaps there is an alternative product I shouold investigate as far as something latex allergy friendly?
Mehndi Masala
Mehndi Masala

Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2010-12-04

http://www.winnipeghenna.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:43 pm

The issue with buying latex esp from places like costume shops is shelf life. Fresh product is always best. Basic latex is all the same - Graftobian, Kryolan, Mehron - I've never experienced a difference. Some not as well known can be iffy. Maximum Impact is a good brand as is Deviant - but again latex has a shelf life.
Sweet Loretta
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CATZ Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:01 am

Thanks Loretta. I appreciate your experience.

Is FDA compliancy an issue with latex? A provider of 'Maximum Impact' told me that it wasn't. Maybe it's not because it's such a common allergy?
CATZ
CATZ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:39 am

Liquid latex is rubber mixed with ammonia... that may be why it isn't FDA approved... ammonia...

I once "thinned out" super thick old latex with household ammonia... it was for building a mask so I wasn't applying it to skin!!!

Kim, yes it is the same. I haven't seen any differences between brands.

When working with prosthetics generally adhere to the skin with spirit gum, latex is then dabbed along the edges to seal and smooth out the seams so it blends into the skin.

Duo eyelash adhesive essentially is liquid latex so in a pinch it works.

Kim... I use a gelatin product for moulds... make scars, bullet holes and other small appliances. It comes in small blocks and you melt it in the microwave, pour into the moulds, peel them out when it cools, dust with a bit of powder to prevent sticking to each other then toss them all in a baggie. You can then attach to the skin with spirit gum, etc. When done you can wash off the make-up, and nuke it again to reuse... I love it. If you're interested I will did through my SFX box to see if I still have the label! I think it came from Alcone.

I also use a silicone putty that you can press into a mould, then peel it out gently and apply directly to the skin without adhesives... it works nicely as long as it isn't on a flexible part of the body as it will work loose. You can also use a little spirit gum to secure it and coat with latex to seal it down.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:41 am

Cat... Fun foam.. the stuff the kids use to make things. Cheap craft stuff... comes in shape or sheets.

Back to top Go down

Post by jenjenhana Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:11 pm

OK, here's a question:
I have a photo shoot coming up that features zombies. I know how to use latex for making gore, shedding skin, etc., basic novice stuff, but I notice when I use creme based Ben Nye makeup the latex grabs it really well but it doesn't present a seamless foundation from fx to skin. Anyone know what I mean and have a solution? I am trying water based makeup but then I have the reverse problem of the makeup not grabbing onto the latex enough, but is opaque over the skin. I have tried thicker consistency, stippling vs. swiping...what am I to do?
jenjenhana
jenjenhana

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2009-10-08

http://www.fenixfaba.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:04 pm

Either use rubber mask grease paint on the latex, or pax, or apply castor oil to the latex before putting on the creme foundation/colour...
Noella
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by bosakj Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:11 pm

Liquidlatexstore.com offers ammonia free liquid latex that comes in a large variety of colors and finishes.

bosakj

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down