Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Professional Face Painter

+34
AshleyMarie727
makin faces by synni
Perry Noia
MichelleLA
Geekophile
belle
CABBYJ
Painted Dragon
FunFacesbyLori
IamGinaW
Skidzz
flopsietheclown
Amy Moon
Ruth
Spectrum
BluAngL83
Terina
poizonedpeach
Gamezgirl
Lady Jayde
ChangingFaceDesigns
SuzySparkles
Bec
JBM
AngieAnders
sparklingfaces
AudreyG
Mehndi Masala
pjhamel
Tash
shandi
barbb919
wmeventservices
Beyond Visuals
38 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Professional Face Painter - Page 2 Empty Re: Professional Face Painter

Post by Lady Jayde Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:19 pm

wmeventservices wrote:Where did you get the picture Jayde? Did you make it or have rights to it? It would be a very useful photo for all of our websites to help educate the public.

I did an image search a for face paints a couple of years ago and came across it...it's been sitting on my desktop waiting for a reason to post it somewhere...a little photoshop and viola!... I don't know who owns it, but if you google "acrylic paint is not face paint" it's the first image to come up...SOMEBODY had the right idea... I've often thought about using it on my board, but I don't want to step on the owners toes ... it might be worth pursuing.
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:22 pm

If I weren't highly allergic, I'd paint something on my arm, wait for it to crack and post a picture that we could all use...but as it stands...I'm not taking one for the team, lol!
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Back to top Go down

Post by poizonedpeach Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:39 pm

As a mother I don't see how any one can so carelessly take risks with other people's children. Even if the parents say they are ok with it, how many of them do you think have spent time studying and learning about the possible effects of craft paint? As someone who HAS figured out there are safer and better products out there, I really don't understand why you wouldn't want to use them. That is just my opinion, and no offense to anyone who disagrees.
poizonedpeach
poizonedpeach

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2010-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Terina Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:41 pm

Well I personally feel like many others. Even if your artistic talent is wonderful, I think that your products and conduct is what warrants being a professional face painter. A person that paints cars might be artistic but if they use the wrong kind of paint it doesn't seem professional. Technically a professional is someone that simply gets paid for their jobs. So, perhaps those that choose to use fda safe compliant paints should start saying experts or some other fabulous term other than professional face painter.

I personally would like to see a law passed. I mean, TN has strict guidelines for anyone that is in the cosmetology industry and they are actually starting to teach body painting at some cosmetology studios. Perhaps the laws should reflect those that are congruent with state cosmetology standards. It is a pity that because there are a few that insist on using wood and glass paint on skin that everyone would need to suffer stricter laws. However, I would be willing to pay for a special license and do whatever is necessary to maintain that I am using safe products.

Just remember that face paint is actually not paint, it is cosmetics. So, I tell my customers that I paint with fda approved cosmetics. In fact, there was a festival event this weekend. It was a fundraiser and I was working elsewhere. I had several regular clients to attend the event and they would not allow their children to get painted because the paint was not real face paint and they could see that it looked different from my products.

I would urge craft painters to try sealants and perhaps powders. That would be ideal in high humidity. Then you would also protect yourself from any incidents that could occur. There are some people just waiting for an opportunity to sue these days. If someone hears you say craft paint,and they know it is not meant for the skin then you are opening yourself up to be taken advantage of.
Terina
Terina

Number of posts : 616
Registration date : 2010-09-27

http://www.royalmagicevents.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BluAngL83 Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:43 pm

Lady Jade, lol...I may take one for the team this weekend as I have nothing to do...I just have to syke (sp?) myself up to it Very Happy.

As mentioned before, I used acrylics on myself when i was a teen, early twenties to put red, yellow, green stars near my eyes for Bolivian Festivals...Yeah big mistake, always cracked, got red and irritated. I did it b/c i didnt have anything else plus i wasnt doing fp back then. MAJOR NOTE: I only did it to myself, not others. When I started, the first thing I did was google Face Paint and out came Palmers and Snaz. I ordered Palmers (again a mistake) and then I ordered snaz and got more into and researched A LOT.

I too dont understand how someone can use a product that wasn't intended for use on the skin. I'd feel terribly guilty of A) risking the clients safety, B)going behind my insurance C)NEED I SAY MORE?

Whenever I have a booth at festivals, I always say "We use safe, FDA approved professional Face Paint, no acrylics or other craft paints" or something to that affect.

Another one: We fix acrylic face paint Very Happy
BluAngL83
BluAngL83

Number of posts : 851
Registration date : 2009-06-22

http://www.heavenlyfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:14 pm

Well if anyone wants to take one for the team please post a pic that we can all use. I think pictures speak a lot louder than our words sometimes.
wmeventservices
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pjhamel Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:32 pm

I am with Suzy Sparkles in never having thought of using craft paint for face painting. I actually started out doing sfx makeup(scars and stuff) after I got hooked on it one halloween. I used liquid latex, mehron cream makeup, and regular covergirl brand makeup. When my pastor approached me about face painting at a church event, acrylic paint never crossed my mind. The first thing I thought was "well, I doubt that all of the kids are going to want scars, so I better do some research."
I spent two weeks researching the different types of face paints, discovered this amazing forum, and ordered a couple paradise palettes.

Five months later, I booked my first big gig. I had my table all set up with my paradise and snaz and a second face painter set up right next to me using craft paints to paint small cheek art designs. This lady had been in business for years, but my line ended up wrapping around both of our tables, and the only business that she got was after I left. This was before I even considered myself a professional, when I was still trying to figure out if I wanted to continue on with face painting. I had about five different faces up my sleeve, and they looked horrible compared to my current standards. But people recognized that my paints were of a better quality, and they wanted to spend the money on that.

In talking to that other face painter before the gig, I learned that she hadn't always used craft paints. She just used them because it was cheaper and quicker, and she didn't think that it would matter to the kids. It did matter. In fact, that event is a new, annual event that my city started last year. They called me back, but they said that they don't want her there.

I think that anyone who is currently using craft paint should stop doing so, not just for the safety of the kids that they paint, but to keep themselves in business. Face painting is now becoming more popular than ever before, and as people learn more about it, they are going to start to recognize the different qualities of paints used. I don't know about you guys, but I really wouldn't want to lose a lot of business and be known as "the one who used craft paint" in the party/festival circle.
pjhamel
pjhamel

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2010-01-23

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Naples-FL/Naples-Face-Art/15236981

Back to top Go down

Post by pjhamel Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:34 pm

Oh, and I would take one for the team, but I can't even wear cosmetic face paints long before breaking out, so I defintely don't want to try using acrylics on my skin.
I can see myself now , in the hospital after going into anaphylactic shock.
The doctor: "What caused your reaction?"
Me: "Oh, I was doing an experiment."
pjhamel
pjhamel

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2010-01-23

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Naples-FL/Naples-Face-Art/15236981

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectrum Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:45 pm

If you don't agree with the use of craft paints, that's cool...don't use them. But why call someone a hooker, why stoop to the same level of unprofessionalism that you are claiming them to demonstrate? Is that professional, and if yes....how so?

Anyone who has to stoop to the level of putting someone else down by childish name calling just to get a few LOL's really needs to reconsider.

Spectrum
Spectrum

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Terina Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:41 pm

I am not calling names for laughs. To better explain this thought I would like to preface by saying that I am not directly pointing this comment at anyone specific but just in general terms of thinking....

I seriously think that idealistically "pimping" a product or services at cheap rates is a form of financial prostitution. I think that no matter what service or product that you are providing it hurts the industry all together when people do that. Plus, I have never individually called someone a name on this forum at all. But, I must admit that in a general terms I don't see the difference... a "hooker" if you will doesn't care who might catch what or who might get infected or hurt. She simply cares about the quick buck. Soliciting with wrongful product is still unethical whether you say face paint hooker or if prefer to say call girl. Either way your selling your self too cheap and hurting the "faithful wife" at home doing what she is supposed to be doing. I am not just speaking of acrylic paints here. I mean even cutting your rates so low that you barely cover gas to get the job.

I believe that any good business should strive to meet industry standards and set the bar above the rest. It is just ethics. And ideally you shouldn't want to tout a product that could potentially harm or hurt another person. It just doesn't make sense.

I don't think that people should ever be cruel and resort to out and out name calling. I could be wrong here, but, I have never read anyone on here directly being called a hooker themselves. But, I do think that someone that professes to be of a certain profession should rise to meet the standards of industry. I would never tell a client don't use so and so they are a face paint hooker. That would be unprofessional. I would say only allow your babies delicate skin to be painted with professional grade fda approved cosmetics and never anything that is not intended for the skin.

Healthy debate is good but, you know it seems that this is an issue that will always just linger about. There are different types of business professionals, we have discussed mechanics and doctors, but everyone has to make their own decision about what is ethical and right, or if your willing to pimp your self out so to speak.

I apologize right now if I upset someone, cause I really am not intending to do so.
Terina
Terina

Number of posts : 616
Registration date : 2010-09-27

http://www.royalmagicevents.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehndi Masala Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:54 pm

Just as a complete afterthought....most people that defend behaviour with 'but I've always done it' even when they know it's wrong and refuse to change even when the evidence has been released is usually doing so out of stubborness and an extreame need to be 'right' no matter what. This is irrational foot stomping. As for old books from the library touting craft paint on faces...I can find you books about henna that were written when anyone who could say the word 'henna' was obliged to write one and most of the ones you can pick up are full of misinformation. I'm sure if I pick up an old medical book that tells me that when I'm suffering from the 'vapours' I should simply loosen my corset and ensure most menfolk are out of the house and that all female birds are shooed from the property while I drink milk upside down. Unsure if that is before or after the leeches.

I never used anything other than facepaint for faces. One year ten years ago I *did* use Prisma markers and do designs for booze at an outdoor festival before I knew better. That's about my worst offence. I've only ever used Snaz and now I am branching out to other brands.
Mehndi Masala
Mehndi Masala

Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2010-12-04

http://www.winnipeghenna.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruth Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:52 pm

SuzySparkles wrote:Am I the only person in the world who would have never even THOUGHT of using craft paints for face painting? lol!! I never even heard of this until I came on this website... To me that is just so ridiculous it would have never crossed my mind!! I should get spray paint for bases... will save me tons of time!!
lol! same thing I was thinking
Ruth
Ruth

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2010-11-07

http://www.wix.com/delightfulcreations/byruth

Back to top Go down

Post by Amy Moon Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:12 pm

I am pretty sure people using acrylics is what made me hate face paint as a child. I would not be into it today had I not found paradise.
Amy Moon
Amy Moon

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2011-01-03

http://www.hennaluna.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectrum Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:21 pm

Oh no Terina, I wasn't implying that you called anyone a hooker. I was replying to that email that Shandi posted on page 1 or 2, where someone was compared to a hooker for simply using craft paint.

Was it the best thing to do? No Would I use craft paint? No Would I compare someone using them to a hooker? No, but why would anyone?

I was just stating that for whomever sent that email or made that posting to be ranting on professionalism, why stoop to such an unprofessional level yourself. The world is full of people who are always going to be doing something we don't agree with, full of stubborn people set in their ways but surely they can't all be hookers. Wink

I must say that I never thought of using acrylic craft paints myself, but now that I think of it...I'm pretty sure I have a couple gallons of latex out in the shed....might as well give it a whirl.

Spectrum
Spectrum

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:32 pm

I might take one for the team and paint myself... have have artists acrylics and craft acrylics lying around... Give me until Monday to work up the nerve.

I had to quit wearing any mascara and eye make-up due to reactions... so this may be life threatening.... hmm, unless I do horrible cheek art and avoid the eyes...

I've always used make-up... well, I did use highlighters on my sister's maltese... but it didn't touch her skin!

Back to top Go down

Post by flopsietheclown Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:07 am

I can add something very relative. I have been facepainting since 1991. I have never used craft paint, NEVER. My family has been involved in art for a long time, specifically painting. I was always taught the dangers of certain products. We can all think of how things "used to be back in the day". Civilized socities evolve with proper knowledge. There are many things people don't do any more because they were discovered to be dangerous - smoke cigarettes on airplanes, use lead gasonlines in our cars, use lead paint in our homes, use asbestos for insulation. This list goes on and on. Once you learn the harms, it is very disheartening that one choses to expose innocent children to dangers. I made a conscious choice back in 1991 to research and find the safest paints made specifically for face painting. It wasn't easy getting them either, but I felt it was my responsibility to ensure my clients and their children were as safe as could be. I don't care how much money I would save on face paint makeup, I will never use acrylic paints - NEVER. If anyone is proud to use acrylics, I suggest they advertise it just as proudly. I advertise my use of FDA compliant face paint makeup. So I hope no one thinks craft paint was the only option for those of us who have been doing it like me 20+ years. It was not.
flopsietheclown
flopsietheclown

Number of posts : 449
Registration date : 2010-11-10

http://www.ClassicClown.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Skidzz Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:55 am

shandi wrote: I have NEVER done a full face paint with acrylic. I do not use it near the eyes, or mouth or nose for that matter.
Yes lets take into consideration that I have been face painting since I was 18, I was given a book on face painting and the author of the book used ACRYLIC, when I started face painting that was all anyone used. Can you all see it from my standpoint. I have used and have great sucess with acrylic paint,I have painted and worn acrylic once for 18 hours, I never had any reaction. I have done many 2 day gigs and had people come back the next day for another painting no one has ever told me or shown me any kind of reaction. Now I'm not saying a reaction can't occur, I'm saying that for all the faces,arms, cleveages I've painted the only thing that came back was a lady with a very interesting sun burn on her chest.
The last few gigs I used my paradise, and snaz. I had my acrylic there. It's all about preference.
I am defending acrylic users. Some of us have been at it longer then some of you have been alive.
You can't change everyone overnight. When I find a paint that covers and moves like acrylic I'll be so happy.
Right now I enjoy discovering the new products and trying them out. I really like the Paradise. I have been in several discussions about this and this will be the last one, it stresses me out to no end.
I have no other income other then my art and my face painting. I depend on the few gigs I've been able to get here in the middle of nowhere as it feeds my 4 legged kids and pays for the farrier and the vet.

Just out of stupid curiousity.... if your not using the acrylic for full face or near the eyes, what are you using it for???

I can honestly say that when I first started at the age of 14 face painting, I used acrylics after a self proclaimed professional said that is what they used. After I found out many years later that it wasn't safe for the skin in anyway, I stopped painting until I could find something that was.

I know there are self proclaimed professionals still using acrylics, but like so many of you have said, there is so much that can go wrong. And it is really up to you to make sure that the child or adult have a safe experience from the time that they sit in your chair til the paint comes off. Not meaning to sound offensive, but it sounds like the people that paint with the acrylics are just out for an easy buck, than there for the enjoyment of the public, not that making a buck isn't a great "side effect". But it sounds more like those people are thinking about themselves not the people that are sitting in their chair.

Last edited by Skidzz on Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:30 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar, I suppose....)
Skidzz
Skidzz

Number of posts : 499
Registration date : 2010-07-10

http://www.facepaintingcolorado.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:25 am

shandi wrote:
You can't change everyone overnight. When I find a paint that covers and moves like acrylic I'll be so happy.

But when it comes to "happiness" in respect to your profession, shouldn't the happiness of ALL of your clients take a front seat priority?

I'm sorry, but the whole "until I find paint that covers and moves like acrylic" argument is weak and somewhat self focused. You want to be happy with what you see as the outcome of your efforts and therefore you are willing to risk health and safety on a hunch about possibly skewed statistical data.

Imagine, if you will, if the government hadn't outlawed smoking indoors, particularly within the enclosed workplace. How would you feel about the diehard smokers who would've balked at the medical findings pertaining to the dangers of second hand smoke? What if, because there wasn't a law specifically prohibited them from blowing smoke right into your cubicle, those smokers took up the "until they can find a way for me to get my nicotine fix without having to make the trek to the outdoors, I'll keep on puffin' at my desk" mentality? Is it justifiable then because of the lack of legislation? Because of the questionable data about second hand smoke? Because of the small number of reported cases of those affected by it?
Refusing to change your practice even despite knowing the potential risk you are subjecting your clients to is gross negligience, and no court or insurance company is going to ask about the superiority of your paint coverage or whether the design wore well in humidity.

If you are as unbothered by the dangers, then allow your customers to make an informed decision as was suggested. Announce to your customers that you use professional face and body make up AND Acrylic paints. You could go a step further and post the potential hazzards of having acrylics on the skin for prolonged periods...that way the parents can make an INFORMED decision and maybe even request that you not use them. Many parents are ignorant about the dangers because they are either driven by cost savings or it is unfathomable to them that a person working in the capacity of a face/body painter would use potentially harmful products.

It will only take one incident to change your life (and the life of a child). The risk might be minor to you, but I know that if it were my child that got hurt, I wouldn't stop until I was assured that the person who dared to paint her with acrylics never worked as a face painter again...especially if that painter was using safe products AND unsafe products...you can't plead ignorance in that case.

We are all going to do what we feel we need to do and no amount of poking, prodding or reasoning is going to change anything unless a person wants to change. I've said my $1.25 worth, so I'm done.
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:42 am

shandi wrote:
When I find a paint that covers and moves like acrylic I'll be so happy.

If you want a product that you can blend and work with for longer period, use oil based theatrical cream make-up... blendability is awesome, opaque coverage, doesn't dry until you powder it to set it and there are as many colour choices as there are in face paint.

And all the major theatrical make-up brands (many of whom also manufacture face paints) have them - Kryolan, Mehron, Ben Nye, Grimas...

ALL ARE COSMETICS MEANT FOR USE ON THE FACE!

I use them often along with face paint (water activated make-up) on larger projects where I want to be able to work the colours for a period of time or it is a large area where I need to use multiple colours and blend repeatedly.

There are alternatives, always have been.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehndi Masala Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:06 am

How do I 'Like' what Shannon said? Very Happy
Mehndi Masala
Mehndi Masala

Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2010-12-04

http://www.winnipeghenna.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:50 am

I think you have to send her chocolate or something silly like that... lol! Or Bach Blue...
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Back to top Go down

Post by Bec Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:49 am

Someone asked whatyou use acrylics on if not the face. I'd loveto know the answer
Bec
Bec

Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2010-05-25

http://www.bbeautifulfacepaint.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:26 pm

Ok guys, before anyone takes one for the team, I have contacted the owner of the photo and am waiting to hear back if she is ok with us using it. I'll get back to you when she responds.
wmeventservices
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by IamGinaW Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:41 pm

These are from last year's Mother's Day at the park with free face painting. It was done by the YMCA for donations only with craft paint.

Professional Face Painter - Page 2 30239_1439044464500_1484677052_1105667_1295030_n
Professional Face Painter - Page 2 30239_1439042984463_1484677052_1105665_7372541_n

This was before I was a face painter (of course) and I didn't do it.
IamGinaW
IamGinaW

Number of posts : 1626
Registration date : 2010-09-15

http://facesbygina.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FunFacesbyLori Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:10 pm

I must say that is it irresponsible to use acrylics on the face or body on many levels. If someone told you to use regular glitter on the face because it looks shinier would you? Where does it stop?

If someone gets a red rash in the sun after you painted with acrylics on their cleavage, wouldn't that be a red flag to you? It sickens me that there are follks out there who have the lack of morals and continue on this path.

And I have two choldren to feed, but still pay the $14.00 for a rainbow cake knowing that in the big scheme of things - whats done in the dark comes out in the light . . . eventually. And if I had been painting since the age of 18 - and claim to be so passionate about it, I think I would have a care about my customer's skin. But that's me. You wont find me on any corner . . .
FunFacesbyLori
FunFacesbyLori

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2010-09-29

http://www.funfacesbylori.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next