Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Professional Face Painter

+34
AshleyMarie727
makin faces by synni
Perry Noia
MichelleLA
Geekophile
belle
CABBYJ
Painted Dragon
FunFacesbyLori
IamGinaW
Skidzz
flopsietheclown
Amy Moon
Ruth
Spectrum
BluAngL83
Terina
poizonedpeach
Gamezgirl
Lady Jayde
ChangingFaceDesigns
SuzySparkles
Bec
JBM
AngieAnders
sparklingfaces
AudreyG
Mehndi Masala
pjhamel
Tash
shandi
barbb919
wmeventservices
Beyond Visuals
38 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Professional Face Painter Empty Professional Face Painter

Post by Beyond Visuals Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:23 pm

I have a question that I would like to pose to the forum. This is not to start a debate on if craft/acrylic paint is good as we all know it's not good for face painting. My question is do you consider a face painter that uses acrylic paint as a professional face painter? Whether they've been doing it 10, 20, 30+ years. Do you look at the paint they use or the quality of their designs, or both?
Beyond Visuals
Beyond Visuals

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2009-09-04

http://www.beyondvisuals.net

Back to top Go down

Professional Face Painter Empty Re: Professional Face Painter

Post by wmeventservices Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:32 pm

In my opinion. No one should hire a painter that refuses you use safe paints. If they cannot be hired, then they're not a professional. If they want to be great at what they do, then when they're informed that their paints are unsafe, then they would switch if they were a true professional.
wmeventservices
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by barbb919 Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:52 pm

I'm with whitney,, I think one needs to use fda approved paint for the skin,, what if a child breaks out to the acrylic paint. parents will not be very happy that you painted their child with paints that are not for the skin..
just mu 2 cents
barbb919
barbb919

Number of posts : 2109
Registration date : 2010-03-23

http://tappysfacepainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by shandi Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:30 pm

why do I suspect this is in reference to a Craigs List ad?
http://houston.craigslist.org/evs/2204025522.html

A Professional:
following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain:

I consider myself a professional. My only income is from my artwork and my Face Painting.
I use "Paradise" "Wolfe" and "Snaz" and Yes I have used acrylic and will continue to use acrylic. All contests I have entered I have used my Paradise pallet. I sometimes think that I and other painters that use acrylic are attacked... Yes I understand that it's not labeled for the skin, yep I understand that a reaction can occur, reactions can occur with any and all paints.
Go to the Texas Rennisance Festival out of the 20+ FacePainters there there is 2 painters that use just Snaz and Paradise. I know of three painters that have painted there for over 25 years, that's 8 weekends all day long and have NEVER had anyone call or report any kind of reaction.
Now what I am seeing is that those of you that solely use the brands of paint that are for cosmetic use are threatned by those that use acrylic because you feel they under cut your prices, I hear it again and again "the craft paint hooker" well I'm no hooker! I have been face painting since I was 18 yrs old with acrylic paint. I discovered there was other stuff to use 2+ years ago. I like Paradise.Wolfe and Snaz and am looking forward to trying the DFX. I use my Paradise and Snaz to do full faces and masks anything that will go near the eyes. I do use the acrylic on the body and when it's really hot as it will last in the heat and humidity here.
Eventually I will go into glitter tatts for the heat of the summer months.
Will I stop using acrylic paint on the skin?
Not likely, I am using it less and less however if trying to flag me as a unsafe painter I will fight. Until there is a law that says I can not use acrylic paint I will continue to use it. I also discuss this with the parents what do they want me to use. I tell them exactally what I use, and let them choose.
My prices are what they are because I'm new to this area, I had gigs scheduled for the year when I lived in Austin and could charge more there, here I'm in a poorer community and price accordingly.
This is a very competive bussiness I'm finding, well here in Houston anyway.
Go ahead and flame me, I'm expecting it.
I will never stop painting, I love it! I love learning about the new stuff and love seeing all the great stuff this forums provides.
I don't know what else to say.
Professional Face Painter here. I am good at what I do and 20+ years of doing it I think I can call my self a Professional.
shandi
shandi

Number of posts : 317

http://facepaintingbyshandi.webs.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:46 pm

Shandi, I'm confused. Are you the one saying all of this or was this all said in a craigslist ad?
wmeventservices
wmeventservices

Back to top Go down

Post by shandi Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:00 pm

I have the craigs list ad I posted. SmoothDansa also has a Craigs list ad.
I'm just over reacting
shandi
shandi

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:23 pm

My daughter has very sensitive skin... it would not be ok for you to use acrylics on her skin. I'm not going to flame you but I cannot understand your way of thinking.
Maybe they have had a reaction but didn't know how to contact you... or couldn't be bothered - they will just never get a face painting again. Bad for business don't you think?
There is a reason the products for skin are made..... and no there is no law, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be it just means it would be impossible to police.
Is it ok with you if a mum looks over your shoulder and then the next day goes to an art store buys acrylics and starts painting all the kids she comes in contact with?
This is why whenever we go out to a festival I have to prepaint my child or ask a lot of questions before I allow her to be painted.
We are not only worried about you undercutting our business - but also about the health of our kids and about the health of the industry as a whole.
If you went out and ordered chicken for dinner and they gave you a man made chicken subsitiute would that be ok with you?
If you are offering face painting - really you should be using face paint.
Maybe you should stop acting all attacked and start thinking about the industry as a whole and educating people on what is ok to go on your skin and what isn't.
Parents now days care about putting on sunscreen, wearing a hat, eating healthy sometimes organic foods, and using natural products around the house, they should care about what you are painting on their angels skin.
What about staining? flaking? the fact that they are stuck with the design for three days or more?
It is very humid here - we just had a heat wave over 40 degrees everyday and I worked in the heat.... yes it's hard but I will never use a product not made for the skin on my customers... they deserve better then that.
It's your choice to make, I'm not trying to tell you that you should stop.... what you do is completely up to you.... but the painters that only use good products are never going to accept you using acrylics and as a mum I would never let you paint my kids face.
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by pjhamel Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:02 pm

In my opinion, a professional face painter is someone who:
1) Has a business license
2) Uses safe products
3) Conducts themself and their business in a professional manner at all times

No offense to anyone, but I really don't think that you can call yourself a professional while providing a service(such as painting with craft paint) that is known to be dangerous and potentially fatal.
pjhamel
pjhamel

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2010-01-23

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Naples-FL/Naples-Face-Art/15236981

Back to top Go down

Post by Beyond Visuals Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:24 pm

No, didn't even notice the craigs list ad. I'm just curious as to what other face painters think. I mean I personally know a great face painter who has been painting for 15 years and he still uses acrylic paint. I consider him a professional because I learned alot of designs and techniques from him, although I would like that he switch to "real" face paint.
Beyond Visuals
Beyond Visuals

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2009-09-04

http://www.beyondvisuals.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehndi Masala Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:05 pm

Nope....not a pro. Has not stayed current to the times. They also used to use leeches. You get the idea.

Put it in these terms - A henna artist who claimes to be pro, has designs that look nice...uses black henna that is illegal and can cause contact dermittis (sp), direct link to bladder cancer, permanent scarring.
Claims that she has never had someone complain and has been doing it for 10 years. Is she a pro? Nope. No

Doctor has been in practice 50 years.....still uses leeches for gout and thinks that you can relieve headaches with arsenic. Still a pro? Nope. No

If you are purposely not keeping up, not willing to grow or learn, unwilling to 'step up the game', you may have been a pro...but a good pro stays on top of thier profession. They may do a pretty looking job, but then so can the painter using mercury or other toxins in oil paint on a face or body. Does not make them a body painter. I've heard tell of people using car paint in temp tattoo stands. VERY bad...are they pro because someone hired them? Nope. No

Just my opinion. Everyone has one and can state it. I may not even be right, but it's kinda how I see it. I may just stand corrected. I'm only 3 months old...whadda I know?? Question Very Happy
Mehndi Masala
Mehndi Masala

Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2010-12-04

http://www.winnipeghenna.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AudreyG Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:10 pm

I'm definately new to the face painting industry but I'm with Tash. I also have a daughter that is super sensitive. And I would be so upset if I paid someone to paint my daughters face and they used acrylic paint! But on the business side of it when I started face painting I started with professional "face paint". I think anyone working with the public should take in consideration that, just like yourself going out to eat, to the doctor, to the dentist, or anyone or place that serves the public, should take certain measures to keep your clients safe. But after all this is just my opinion! Wink
AudreyG
AudreyG

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2010-11-10

http://www.facesbyaudrey.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sparklingfaces Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:18 pm

Hey Shandi, Yeah, I think you may be over reacting, as nothing on your website or the craigslist ad says anything about you using acrylic paints.

Also, I think you're an awsome painter, but honestly, if you dont post on your website/ advetisments that you use acrylic paints, then maybe you're not so proud of using it either. You say you discuss it with the parents, but if you really are, then why not simply state it in your advertisments?

I dunno, I hear what you're saying because like you and many others, we started with acrylic paints in high school.... not knowing there was any such thing as professional face paints.

I actually did not even know you used acrylic paints until this post. When I met you, you were using paradise and I thought that was your paint of choice.
sparklingfaces
sparklingfaces

Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2009-09-20

http://www.sparklingfaces.net

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:29 pm

My husband just picked his truck up from the shop (hit a deer and messed the front all up) and discovered that they had taken our money and then fixed the truck with used and after-market parts, and on a few places even kept the same broken parts on the truck. We found the cracked underside of his bumper was held together with a zip tie. Evil or Very Mad Do they call themselves professionals? Yes. Did they "do the job"...? I guess the truck will go down the road like this. Do we consider them professionals? Uh... NO? Is there such a thing as a "professional" who doesn't act in a professional way? Unfortunately yes. (We will be taking it back, of course!)

I know most of the reasons that informed painters still continue to use acrylics. Mostly because it doesn't sweat off in the heat. What I don't understand is how people can think it looks good. It cracks and peels off as the face flexes, it doesn't breathe on the skin the way make-up does, it itches and has to be scratched off of the face at bedtime. I've never seen a picture of a face painting done with acrylics that looked good. If anyone has one I would honestly like to see it. Preferably after it's been worn for 15-20 minutes.

Can you be a professional and not use professional supplies? I guess so. But it isn't very "professional" if you know what I mean. FACE would never allow it, nor would performer's insurance agencies or event agents.

I honestly don't think that using acrylics is THAT dangerous... I've heard of more allergic reactions from Wolfe than with acrylics. My main issue is that it looks terrible, just as Palmer paints or face paint crayons look terrible. When professional artists use these crappy products (or non-products!) while working, it makes us all look bad.
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JBM Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:36 pm

Mehndi Masala wrote:Nope....not a pro. Has not stayed current to the times. They also used to use leeches. You get the idea.

Put it in these terms - A henna artist who claimes to be pro, has designs that look nice...uses black henna that is illegal and can cause contact dermittis (sp), direct link to bladder cancer, permanent scarring.
Claims that she has never had someone complain and has been doing it for 10 years. Is she a pro? Nope. No

Doctor has been in practice 50 years.....still uses leeches for gout and thinks that you can relieve headaches with arsenic. Still a pro? Nope. No

If you are purposely not keeping up, not willing to grow or learn, unwilling to 'step up the game', you may have been a pro...but a good pro stays on top of thier profession. They may do a pretty looking job, but then so can the painter using mercury or other toxins in oil paint on a face or body. Does not make them a body painter. I've heard tell of people using car paint in temp tattoo stands. VERY bad...are they pro because someone hired them? Nope. No

Just my opinion. Everyone has one and can state it. I may not even be right, but it's kinda how I see it. I may just stand corrected. I'm only 3 months old...whadda I know?? Question Very Happy

Man don't even get me started on black henna!!!!! Bali and Thailand are really popular holiday destinations for Australians and both are places where people get black henna. The number of times I've heard people say loudly in front o my stall "Oh my friend got that henna stuff and she's got a scar/got sick/ etc" I then have to stop to educate them and everyone within earshot that heard the offending comment that my henna is natural, safe and brown, that I mix it myself with no chemicals blah blah blah. Sheesh!!!

As for the professional question, a definition
"Of or pertaining to a profession, or calling; conforming to the rules or standards of a profession; following a profession; as, professional knowledge; professional conduct."
The standards have upped a lot in the past few years with face painting and safe paint is now a standard and it is unprofessional conduct to knowingly use a harmful product on the skin of a child.

Suspect Suspect
JBM
JBM

Number of posts : 629
Registration date : 2010-10-18

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Henna-by-Riana/149537191765171?ref

Back to top Go down

Post by Bec Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:37 am

when I decided to try my hand at face painting, I assumed I would just go buy some craft paint and start painting. But being a responsible adult, who would be messing with the skin of stranger's kids, I researched it very minimally and found out there is a standard of paint that a professional face painter would use. So that's what I bought.

I don't understand how once you found out it is not safe to use, you could keep using it. I feel the same about real face paint. The first time I use something that gives a kid a reaction, I will stop using it. I'm messing with other people's kids here.
Bec
Bec

Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2010-05-25

http://www.bbeautifulfacepaint.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SuzySparkles Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:52 am

Am I the only person in the world who would have never even THOUGHT of using craft paints for face painting? lol!! I never even heard of this until I came on this website... To me that is just so ridiculous it would have never crossed my mind!! I should get spray paint for bases... will save me tons of time!!
SuzySparkles
SuzySparkles

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Bec Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:57 am

SuzySparkles wrote:Am I the only person in the world who would have never even THOUGHT of using craft paints for face painting? lol!! I never even heard of this until I came on this website... To me that is just so ridiculous it would have never crossed my mind!! I should get spray paint for bases... will save me tons of time!!

The reason I assumed it was what you used was because the only face painting Ihad ever seen was at small events where parents were doing it for kids. small smily faces and what not on cheeks. they used craft paints. I had no idea what was even possible in face painting til i researched it (like I said minimially, it didn't take more than 5 minutes to find that craft paint wasn't what you use).

Honestly, I have no idea how you would even USE craft paint to create most of what we do on a face. How do you blend it? How do you keep it from crakcking? It seems that you would never be able to do a full face with it. Can anyone explain?
Bec
Bec

Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2010-05-25

http://www.bbeautifulfacepaint.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:00 am

I set-up at an event once and next to me was a tent of EMS (Emergency Medical Services - paramedics, etc.) who were planning to "face paint" to raise money. They were using pastels, NOT face painting crayons, actual pastels.

One of them came over while I was setting up my display (I was hired by a company that was doing a fund raising BBQ) and said that they decided not to offer the FP seeing as I was right there and no one would want their cheek art when I was painting for free...

We had a little discussion about SAFE products and I mentioned (in strong terms) that what they were using while it was "non-toxic" was in no way intended to be used on the skin... he didn't care in the least.

And this was a "medical professional" ... people just don't get it.

They are looking for easy and cheap. Using acrylics and craft paints is easy and cheap...

I've seen acrylic face paintings... they are usually gloppy, and peeling off, cracking, and itchy... and they are usually on kids who, when they see what I am painting look like they are going to cry...

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:21 am

It was never even an option for me....not even back when I was just toying with the idea of face painting. It's truly a no brainer "CRAFT" paint is just that for crafts and nothing else. I don't care if it's water soluable, or non toxic. If I am not mistaken using such products will void your insurance coverage. So if you are using craft paint then you are either doing so without having insurance, or if you do have it put your coverage at risk....in either case is just plain ...........(feel free to fill in)

I don't care how long you've been doing it or how good your designs are....does not give you the right to knowingly use something that has been shown to potentially cause harm, especially when you know there are products better suited for that purpose. That is just gross negligence.

You are taking uneccessary chances with other peoples kids, which could be a huge liability problem for you.
ChangingFaceDesigns
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:22 pm

I agree with what everyone else has said so eloquently. To knowingly use a product not intended for use on the skin regardless of reason is negligent. It is especially so when many of those products' manufacturers have publicly stated that they aren't manufactured in an environment that would be conducive to producing a skin safe product and are therefore not intended, nor will ever be intended for skin use...Delta, AppleBarrel, Plaid, ect. It's not a risk that I'd be willing to take and track record means nothing when you're playing with somebody else's well being. Professionalism to me means professional conduct, professional ethics and a professional imperative to not purposefully do harm to others.

Professional Face Painter Acryli11
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by shandi Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:54 pm

sparklingfaces wrote:Hey Shandi, Yeah, I think you may be over reacting, as nothing on your website or the craigslist ad says anything about you using acrylic paints.

Also, I think you're an awsome painter, but honestly, if you dont post on your website/ advetisments that you use acrylic paints, then maybe you're not so proud of using it either. You say you discuss it with the parents, but if you really are, then why not simply state it in your advertisments?

I dunno, I hear what you're saying because like you and many others, we started with acrylic paints in high school.... not knowing there was any such thing as professional face paints.

I actually did not even know you used acrylic paints until this post. When I met you, you were using paradise and I thought that was your paint of choice.

The ad has my name on it. I have always been heated about this topic. There is one other painter that comes to the meetings that uses acrylic.
Oh' I am using Paradise,Snaz and Wolfe. However I really have a problem with people getting bent out of shape because there are people that use acrylic. There are Face Painters that only face paint for a living and use acrylic.
I have NEVER done a full face paint with acrylic. I do not use it near the eyes, or mouth or nose for that matter.
Yes lets take into consideration that I have been face painting since I was 18, I was given a book on face painting and the author of the book used ACRYLIC, when I started face painting that was all anyone used. Can you all see it from my standpoint. I have used and have great sucess with acrylic paint,I have painted and worn acrylic once for 18 hours, I never had any reaction. I have done many 2 day gigs and had people come back the next day for another painting no one has ever told me or shown me any kind of reaction. Now I'm not saying a reaction can't occur, I'm saying that for all the faces,arms, cleveages I've painted the only thing that came back was a lady with a very interesting sun burn on her chest.
The last few gigs I used my paradise, and snaz. I had my acrylic there. It's all about preference.
I am defending acrylic users. Some of us have been at it longer then some of you have been alive.
You can't change everyone overnight. When I find a paint that covers and moves like acrylic I'll be so happy.
Right now I enjoy discovering the new products and trying them out. I really like the Paradise. I have been in several discussions about this and this will be the last one, it stresses me out to no end.
I have no other income other then my art and my face painting. I depend on the few gigs I've been able to get here in the middle of nowhere as it feeds my 4 legged kids and pays for the farrier and the vet.
shandi
shandi

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:55 pm

Where did you get the picture Jayde? Did you make it or have rights to it? It would be a very useful photo for all of our websites to help educate the public.
wmeventservices
wmeventservices

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamezgirl Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:59 pm

Wow, I am also shocked that anyone who has educated themselves would continue to use arcrylics? And hopefully anyone who DOES use them, is caught by event organizers and booted out since their insurance is void for using any type of craft paint. Any legit professional I know takes care to make sure their clients are safe. As a professional, it is MY job to know what is safe, and what is questionable. It is MY job to watch out for the best interest of the client, and it is MY job to stay educated and move with the times. I agree with Mehndi Masala, docs used to use leeches... And for what it's worth, people who would rather have their work look like it lasts better in the heat than take the safety of my child into consideration are the reason why I would never let anyone paint my childs face other than me. And just because YOU have never had a complaint, doesn't mean nothing has happened. Do you always know the name and location of everyone that crosses your path in life? Hell I don;t even return spoiled bread or meat to the grocery store if I get some because I just can't be bothered. And you using arcyclics, if they have a problem, and they don;t call you for you to tell that it is your fault, you have just made sure that child will never be allowed to get painted again.
So no, in my opinion, anyone who uses anything other than FDA complaint products ESPECIALLY knowingly...is NOT a professional.
Gamezgirl
Gamezgirl

Number of posts : 473
Registration date : 2009-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamezgirl Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:07 pm

Shandi, I am not saying you are a bad person...but really? You say you defend arcrylic users...THERE IS NO DEFENCE!! Yes, way back in the day, you are right, people wrote books and painted with arcrylics, no one knew any better. We do now. And as for those painters who you claim to make a living with arcrylic, they need to move with the times or go out of business. I started painting my kids with dollar store creams. I didn't know any better. I educated myself, AND I learned to work with the safe products, not use questionable products because I was too lazy to make an effort and make the safe products work for me. And since you have no other income, what's going to happen to you when event organizers and parents alike become better educated and turn to people who are safe 100% instead of when they think the crap paint looks better. Or heaven forbid, you do get that one reaction...and they sue you for everything and your insurance drops you on your naughty word for breaking the contract?
Please be careful for yourself, your clients and your future.
Gamezgirl
Gamezgirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamezgirl Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:12 pm

And I don't care how long someone has been painting...longevity doesn't mean smarts...and as you can see, you may be defending arcrylic users, i am defending the children. And you aren;t the only one who gets bent out of shape and stressed over this...I just can;t believe with all the education and the manufacturers themselves saying their product is not to be used on skin....that you would still think you know better than them and continue. On the upside, I am happy to see that you are using some professional supplies, keep it up!
Gamezgirl
Gamezgirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next