Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what do you sit on when you paint if you use a directors chair for the client?

+20
BluAngL83
squiggle
Gamezgirl
ChangingFaceDesigns
TheSparklingLady
Judy
len sherrard
Tilly - Formerly Punky
Perry Noia
contrachapado
ruths fab faces
JBax
Painted Dragon
Caswell Designs FP
shandi
Lady Jayde
Tash
SuzySparkles
Psalmbook
aprilmoonflower
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

what do you sit on when you paint if you use a directors chair for the client? Empty what do you sit on when you paint if you use a directors chair for the client?

Post by aprilmoonflower Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:44 am

I definitely prefer to sit when I paint (though I want the option to stand too)

I was thinking of maybe finding an adjustable stool for me to sit on? like the kind hair stylists sometimes use but without wheels..

what do you use?
aprilmoonflower
aprilmoonflower

Number of posts : 713
Registration date : 2009-08-28

Back to top Go down

what do you sit on when you paint if you use a directors chair for the client? Empty Re: what do you sit on when you paint if you use a directors chair for the client?

Post by Psalmbook Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:58 am

I used to use 2 stools from walmart(usually found near the furniture section on an endcap). They're black & fold. It doesn't give the child the option to recline waayyyy back. I now use a directors chair & walk around the child as I paint. I love it! It gives me the range of motion to get a better design than when I was planted in one place. Also, my body is in a happier state! Since I'm moving from table to child/adult & not sitting & twisting in the same position I'm not all soar & cramped at the end of a long gig. I did get very good shoe inserts & for the summer very cushey flip flops.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

what do you sit on when you paint if you use a directors chair for the client? Empty Re: what do you sit on when you paint if you use a directors chair for the client?

Post by SuzySparkles Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:59 am

I have 3 chairs... 2 short fold up ones and 1 Director chair. I put them both out and switch up sitting while painting and standing so that I don't get too sore. Smile hmmmm... maybe a bar stool or something like that would work?
SuzySparkles
SuzySparkles

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:14 am

I saw an awesome bar stool that went up and down with a lever, but it was heavy and took up too much space in the car.
Really need to get a high directors chair and paint standing.
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:53 am

I stand. At 5'9 the director's chair put the child right where I need him. I keep a stool nearby just in case I need to give my feet a break, but I rarely use it.
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by shandi Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:47 am

once upon a time I found avery cool barstool at a yard sale paid 2.00 for it. It raised up to barstool hight or lowered to chair hight and it swiveled and it was cushy and had a great back support. I used that thing for 10 years or more. When we moved I tossed it thinking I'll find another once we get settled... Sad no luck, I've bought so many chairs and none are as comfy or as versitile. I sure miss that ugly old thing.
shandi
shandi

Number of posts : 317
Registration date : 2010-03-23

http://facepaintingbyshandi.webs.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Caswell Designs FP Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:20 am

I was looking at getting a directors chair. Is there a brand that is preferred?
Right now I have two folding chairs that I covered in lime green sunbrella fabric.

I had thought if I get a directors chair, I could alternate between that and my folding chairs so my back doesn't get tired.
Caswell Designs FP
Caswell Designs FP

Number of posts : 584
Registration date : 2010-01-15

http://www.caswellfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Painted Dragon Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:42 pm

Off topic...

I like your snake/skull mask, Liz.
Painted Dragon
Painted Dragon

Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2009-04-09

http://www.the-painted-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:11 pm

I stand... the whole time and don't realize I'm sore until I stop painting.
JBax
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilmoonflower Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:16 pm

Unfortunately my days of standing long hours are over. (especially while pregnant) but I do like to stand maybe once or twice an hour when painting and stretch but my knees and ankles are shot from my hairdressing (and before that ballet) days..
aprilmoonflower
aprilmoonflower

Back to top Go down

Post by ruths fab faces Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:33 pm

I stand the whole time ,but when i'm at my day job i have to stand so i'm used to it.
ruths fab faces
ruths fab faces

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2010-01-20

http://ruthsfabfaces@facebook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by contrachapado Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:21 pm

I use a director's chair now and just stand the whole time. When I started I sat in a folding chair and had the child sit in another folding chair. Now I'm thinking it might have worked better if I'd had the child stand. That way I wouldn't have had to lean way over to reach them in their chair.
contrachapado
contrachapado

Number of posts : 751
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:08 pm

I currently sit on a chair and have the kids stand (unless they're too tall, then I stand too)....
But I've got my eye on a director's chair right now.... just need to figure out some shipping issues.... bounce
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:40 pm

aprilmoonflower wrote:Unfortunately my days of standing long hours are over. (especially while pregnant) but I do like to stand maybe once or twice an hour when painting and stretch but my knees and ankles are shot from my hairdressing (and before that ballet) days..

I know this is off topic, but ballet? Cool! My son dances ballet 6 out of 7 days a week. He was the Prince in the Nutcracker 2 yrs in a row & just got done w/ competition in NYC Youth American Grad Prix. He's 13.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilly - Formerly Punky Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:53 pm

I can work sitting or standing, it makes no real difference to me. I have a director's chair that I use, but I'm almost 6" tall, so sometimes I have to bend over to get to the kid, so my back still hurts sometimes.
Tilly - Formerly Punky
Tilly - Formerly Punky

Number of posts : 1186
Registration date : 2010-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:28 am

I stand to use my tall director's chairs when I'm doing regular make-up and theatre but for face painting I sit.

Chairs of the same height facing each other... I can't bend over to paint the kids for that length of time!! They are too short in the tall chairs and I end up leaning over which KILLS my back and knees.

The tall chairs put adults at the right level to paint but when you are doing 4-9 hour gigs it is just too long for me to be standing. I can be on my feet that long, but have to be moving.

Back to top Go down

Post by len sherrard Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:13 am

When i'm using my directors chair(32 inches tall) I stand, but I discovered being 6ft tall is way too tall, when working on very little people, and I caught myself kneeling on the floor. It puts me at the right angle to get to that small head with out 'hulking it' over them, and the partents appreciate the fact they can stand back and see every stroke I make. Now to figure out what to use as a kneel pad for my prayer bones Very Happy
len sherrard
len sherrard

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2009-12-29

http://www.ellensburgfaceart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:12 am

len sherrard wrote:When i'm using my directors chair(32 inches tall) I stand, but I discovered being 6ft tall is way too tall, when working on very little people, and I caught myself kneeling on the floor. It puts me at the right angle to get to that small head with out 'hulking it' over them, and the partents appreciate the fact they can stand back and see every stroke I make. Now to figure out what to use as a kneel pad for my prayer bones Very Happy

There are knee pads/shield that construction workers/floor installers/roofers use. It'll save your knees.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?keyword=knee+pads&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:33 am

I'm getting a director's chair (my husband said it can be my mother's day present, yay!) but at 5'2", I'm actually a little worried they'll be too tall for me LOL
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:45 am

I'm 5' 3" & my director's chair has been great for kids. I make adults turn their head to the side & look down at me. I did have a very TALL man & he had to lean forward & look down. I might need a step stool...
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilmoonflower Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:24 am

I found some adjustable portable chairs that should work..they are for musicians and dj's.. seems like there are lots of options under portable medical stools too weirdly enough!
aprilmoonflower
aprilmoonflower

Back to top Go down

Post by Judy Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:37 am

Perry Noia wrote:I'm getting a director's chair (my husband said it can be my mother's day present, yay!) but at 5'2", I'm actually a little worried they'll be too tall for me LOL

I'm 5'3 and use a tall director's chair. I put a stadium seat on it and secured it so the kids can't lean too far back. I also bring a little step stool for the kids to use to climb up and into it.... more to carry but so far it's working. Can still haul everything in one trip. Haven't had to use the step stool for me to stand on yet.... lol
Judy
Judy

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-08-01

http://www.facefx.info

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSparklingLady Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:03 am

I am five feet plain. I had a horrible time finding a comfortable seating or standing arrangement. I found and ordered a MID-HEIGHT directors chair for about $60 and it looks very good, I haven't tried it yet; has a fold out table on one side and pockets on the other. as a cup holder too. It also has straight horizontal bars across the feet/legs that look like they will keep the chair level on grass.

Can't wait to try it.

TheSparklingLady
TheSparklingLady

Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2010-04-03

http://www.thesparklinglady.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:37 pm

I sit for face painting. I can't handle standing for 8 hours - walking and working on my feet, yes, but standing in one place, no.

I use the client's chairs - so I can be sitting on anything from milk crates to dining room chairs to picnic tables to circa 1970 moulded plastic scoop chairs... one for me and one for the customer.

I use tall director's chairs to apply make-up as the jobs are shorter duration.

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:01 pm

I have the Earths (something) forget the rest of the name heavy duty tall directors chair. I love that thing very strudy and lighweight. I am 6ft tall and I now prefer to stand and paint. I used to sit but it was too much of a toll on my back at the end of the day being hunched over for so long. I have two extra regular height chairs with me but those are just for me and the next person in line to sit in. My mom loved the tall chair so much that she bought me another one for doing the glitter tattoos.

Last edited by ChangingFaceDesigns on Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
ChangingFaceDesigns
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next