Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Problem With White

+11
Kat's FacesForFun
Stacia
MasterpieceFacePainting
maaikemeis
CottonKandyClown
MeeMee
Miss Ronnie
JZino
Rae
Mika's Creations2
clowngirl
15 posters

Go down

Problem With White Empty Problem With White

Post by clowngirl Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:52 am

Hi, the problem I'm having is with trying to get white lines on top of black, I just can't make it work. I feel as though I've read every post regarding the best white to use but I may have missed some. I've tried Paradise, Snaz, Tag and now have some DFX white and still can't make it happen so I figure it must be something I'm doing wrong. I thought I may be applying too much pressure but even when I apply very little, I still can't get it right. Is it even possible? I've had to say no to painting a black spiderman with white lines a few times now. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

clowngirl

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2011-10-26

https://www.facebook.com/Lulu.Clown?ref=ts

Back to top Go down

Problem With White Empty Re: Problem With White

Post by Mika's Creations2 Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:53 am

Sorry I can't help. But really looking forward to the answers on this. Smile
Mika's Creations2
Mika's Creations2

Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2011-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Rae Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:30 am

Ok, no expert here, but unfortunately the only paint you haven't tried....Wolfe White, is meant to be the best for covering black. I've tried DFX and Wolfe, and they are pretty similar, but if you're going to knit pick, I think Wolfe is the better one for this particular job. It also helps to get your paint pretty goopy if you know what I mean.....not runny but more like a margarine kinda consistency, and yeah not to heavy handed either. You might still need two coats though, making sure the first coat is good and dry before apply the second. This is just my experience and what I think, which others might think is way off base. I don't know. Never tried black spiderman with white lines though.....sounds like a bit of a nightmare.
Rae
Rae

Number of posts : 798
Registration date : 2011-02-09

http://www.raesfx.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JZino Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:43 am

I also agree that Wolfe White is probably the best for covering black. Have you thought about using black powder (like Mehron Starblend) for the base instead of black paint?
JZino
JZino

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2009-09-20

http://www.jzino-bodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:47 am

Rae....that new avatar is FABULOUS!!!! Very Happy

I think the most important factor is to make sure the consistency is thick enough....any white will be translucent if it is too thin. Also, make sure your black is completely dry before painting over it....
I use black Starblend for black spidey... the black is not as dense, though... (I don't get too many request for black spidey anymore so I hope I'm being helpful) Very Happy

Last edited by Miss Ronnie on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Miss Ronnie
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:48 am

Is your base coat dry before you try to apply the white details? If both the base and the brush are wet, it will blend no matter which brand.

I find Wolfe white is the best for painting on top of other colours. It can't be too watery and you need to work it a bit to get a good load of pigment.

It also needs a light touch... don't press too hard, just hard enough to transfer the colour.

I've done white lines on black spidey, and silver lines on black spidey. Works as long as the base is DRY.

Back to top Go down

Post by MeeMee Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:49 am

I've done black spiderman with white lines. I used starblend black powder as the base and Tag or DFX white.
MeeMee
MeeMee

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.specialtimesentertainment.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:04 am

I agree, Wolfe is the best. I know SillyFarm is suppose to be stocking it in a week or two. I would love to see Metina start carrying it!

Wait till the black is dry. If you are in a hurry, you can take a sponge and blot the black to absorb the extra paint. Just blot once and flip the sponge over so you don't smudge the black.
CottonKandyClown
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by maaikemeis Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:03 am

i use a holland brand i think... its called AQUA party Xplosion
it works perfect for me....i always use those.. white and black for line work
maaikemeis
maaikemeis

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2011-09-22

http://mmarsman1981.hyves.nl/fotos/?ga_campaign=photoAlbumEntry_

Back to top Go down

Post by MasterpieceFacePainting Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:17 am

Your problem might be the black you're using... Like Shannon said make sure your black is completely dry. I'd also recommend using a powder base like Mehron's Starblend, however I find that it isn't very dark on my skin... Maybe it's my skin type?
MasterpieceFacePainting
MasterpieceFacePainting

Number of posts : 509
Registration date : 2011-11-11

http://www.masterpiecefacepainting.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Stacia Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:50 am

For Spidey in black I use Paradise black for the base and Tulip Silver with a little bit of Mehron Silver Metallic powder mixed in with it for the lines, then if I want it to pop (and have a little more time available) I do some white accents on the web. I tried white DFX for the lines several times and wasn't happy with it so I switched to silver.
Stacia
Stacia

Number of posts : 750
Registration date : 2010-07-13

https://www.facebook.com/BoiseFacePainting

Back to top Go down

Post by Kat's FacesForFun Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:55 am

Agreed. You need Wolfe. Even then, white over black isn't ideal if you are having to "drag" your brush at all. It tends to pick up the black paint. generally, unless you're talking black spiderman, you put the white NEXT to the black to highlight, not RIGHT over it. Dots are different, because you aren't pulling the bristles through the black paint. You are just touching the white dot on top of it. I dunno. JMO.
Kat's FacesForFun
Kat's FacesForFun

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2011-09-12

http://www.facepaintingkat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 1HappyNut Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:58 am

BekahCat wrote:Your problem might be the black you're using...

That's what I was thinking. Maybe it's the black you are using. Some blend better (whether you want them to or not) than others. Which black base have you been using? Try changing that up.

Stacia wrote:For Spidey in black I use Paradise black for the base and Tulip Silver with a little bit of Mehron Silver Metallic powder mixed in with it for the lines, then if I want it to pop (and have a little more time available) I do some white accents on the web. I tried white DFX for the lines several times and wasn't happy with it so I switched to silver.

Stacia, that sounds awesome! Do you have a picture?
1HappyNut
1HappyNut

Number of posts : 632
Registration date : 2011-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by JUST Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:11 pm

Wolf paint works the best for me but you must let you base color dry . Good Luck . Smile
JUST
JUST

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Stacia Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:15 pm

1HappyNut wrote: Stacia, that sounds awesome! Do you have a picture?

Unfortunately I don't...I haven't had the opportunity to snap a pic of that one (and I don't even keep it on my menu, I just mention that Spidey can be done in any color)...If I get a second later today I'll paint an example on my arm and get a pic for you.
Stacia
Stacia

Back to top Go down

Post by AshleyMarie727 Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:24 pm

I try to make sure it is completly dry and then also make sure to load your brush with the white very well and have a nice consistancy!
AshleyMarie727
AshleyMarie727

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2010-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Stacia Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:43 am

Ok, so I just painted it on my arm...and I added the white accent on the top half but left it off of the bottom half. That's Paradise Black, Tulip Silver with a little bit of Mehron Silver Metallic powder mixed in, and DFX White for the accents on the top half. The only thing is that I have to reload SO many times with the silver that it adds a good 2 minutes on to my Spidey Face. I dread it.

From Sharing Album
Stacia
Stacia

Back to top Go down

Post by 1HappyNut Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:26 am

Wowsa, Stacia! Worth the effort!!
Thanks for taking the time to do that to show me!!
1HappyNut
1HappyNut

Number of posts : 632
Registration date : 2011-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by clowngirl Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:27 am

Thanks everyone. Rae, apparently he's the 'bad' Spiderman. Looks like I should've asked this question before ordering two 90g pots of DFX though I guess I'll use them up then give Wolfe a go. So far the DFX seems very similar to TAG. I've never tried Starblends, Jzino - can they be applied with a sponge or only those little blender applicator's I've seen? Shannon, it may not have been completely dry the first time I tried tonight, my Tag black seems to take a while to dry - not sure if it's due to adding too much water. I went over the same patch of black just now and it worked a bit better so that may have been part of the problem. The brush did go a bit grey the first time so I guess that's why. This time I used a super-light touch, almost like I was nearly 'skimming' the surface if that's the right word. It seemed to work a lot better though halfway through the line seemed to go patchy so I suppose I hadn't loaded my brush enough or need to go back for more paint to make it work. Miss Ronnie, I did make it thicker which seemed to help. Starblends sounds like a good solution 'til I've mastered it using a paint base but yeah, it's a shame the black's not more dense. What I'd really love to do is paint a half good/half bad Spiderman. I might try it with silver in the meantime. Thanks for the blotting-tip, CottonKandy, I'll keep it in mind. Now to find a really good silver that I don't need to mix with metallic powder! Not sure if Tulip's available in Australia, will have to check. I've been using Snaz mixed with powder but don't like it. Love the web, Stacia ). Thanks everyone, very helpful advice Smile

clowngirl

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2011-10-26

https://www.facebook.com/Lulu.Clown?ref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post by MasterpieceFacePainting Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:00 am

I haven't been able to find the smoothie blender applicators for starblends in the uk so I use a sponge powder puff instead, it seems pretty similar.
MasterpieceFacePainting
MasterpieceFacePainting

Number of posts : 509
Registration date : 2011-11-11

http://www.masterpiecefacepainting.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rae Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:10 am

The best silver so far that I've found, just in paint alone (not including the Mehron Silver Metallic Powder) is believe it or not Mont Marte. Makes the DFX silver look like dirty dishwater when you compare the two. Keeping in mind of course that I haven't really tried very many silvers, but I was impressed with this one. Readily available here in Oz. : )
Rae
Rae

Number of posts : 798
Registration date : 2011-02-09

http://www.raesfx.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole @ Face-a-Rama Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:46 pm

I used Tag white and black. White turned gray but the kid was happy. I have a liner brush now (hope thats the name of it) and it doesn't grab the black as much. Dont hv pic to show 2nd try.

Problem With White Spi10
Nicole @ Face-a-Rama
Nicole @ Face-a-Rama

Number of posts : 225
Registration date : 2011-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post by JZino Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:54 am

clowngirl wrote: I've never tried Starblends, Jzino - can they be applied with a sponge or only those little blender applicator's I've seen?

I bet any kind of makeup sponge that you could pick up from the drugstore would work just fine. I think of them as gigantic eyeshadow pans and treat them about the same. You can spray bit of water onto the cake and use your face paint sponges too. Wink
JZino
JZino

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2009-09-20

http://www.jzino-bodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down