Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Snaz vs DFX and what shades?

5 posters

Go down

Snaz vs DFX and what shades? Empty Snaz vs DFX and what shades?

Post by colormyworld Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:15 am

Pink: Snaz Pink, DFX Neon Pink, Neon Magenta, or Essential PInk?
Purple: How is DFX? ANy good?
Blue: What is the most common shade to use, and what is the best dark blue? Same for green.
Red...some insist Snaz is the best, but some say DFX is better...is one really better than the other? I've never tried DFX.
Yellow: WHich is the best bright yellow for things like Pikachu?

Is DFX Neon White worth it? ANd can the Wolfe/DFX essential white be used as a base? A friend of mine insists that Wolfe white is best for lines, but hates it as a base...
colormyworld
colormyworld

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2009-06-23

http://www.sporktacularcreations.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Snaz vs DFX and what shades? Empty Re: Snaz vs DFX and what shades?

Post by glendaoneill Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:09 am

I never use dfx or Wolfe white for anything other than linework as I've had problems with it cracking when I've put it on a larger area or as a base. Maybe I needed to mix it with a bit more water, but I find I can work better with Snaz white. Grimas wasn't too bad for a base either. May try Paradise or Kryolan next. Does anyone use Snaz clown white for bases? Some people hate it and some like it.

Glenda
glendaoneill
glendaoneill

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2009-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Painted Dragon Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:58 am

Wolf white is definitely the best for lines. I use sanz for base. The neon white is pretty much for black light only. It shows up really pale, almost not at all, without the black light. So if you want a design to work without the light, you almost need to put a normal base white on, or lines, then add the neon white on top of it.

I bought the neon white for my son's birthday party. Cosmic bowling. There almost wasn't enough black light to make it work well, so my faces looked all pale and splotchy.

(it IS cool in the black light, if you get a bright enough one)
Painted Dragon
Painted Dragon

Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2009-04-09

http://www.the-painted-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Painted Dragon Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:59 am

And I've heard that snaz red is the best for bases too. I haven't tried any other red, so I can't tell you.
Painted Dragon
Painted Dragon

Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2009-04-09

http://www.the-painted-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:27 pm

Snaz red - easy smooth base application, nice solid red shade as a base.

Wolfe/DFX red - when applied over other colours it does not bleed through (if painted on top of white it does not turn pink!) so it is perfect for tongues, blood, etc. over a base colour.

Wolfe/DFX white - again, it doesn't bleed through to the base colour so it stays WHITE on top of other colours. For linework, details, teeth, etc it is better than any other white.

If you only get one pink - UV Pink (Wolfe or DFX)... you can apply over top of a white base (Snaz or Kryolan) and it really POPS. In the sunlight it glows and little girls love it.

Unless you are doing steady UV work for intense black light don't bother with the UV White. It is amazing under proper black light, but not for anything else. ALSO... it does NOT wash off easily - you can remove the visible colour but under blacklight it will still show up for a few days. If you 'boo-boo' painting over it with black doesn't work - it still will show up under the black light!!

Purple/Blue/Yellow - I'm not too fussy. I've got Snaz in my working kit at the moment until I use them up and then have Kryolan to replace them.

Back to top Go down

Post by colormyworld Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:04 am

Thanks for the heads up on the neon white! Just saved me some money Smile.

Glenda I don't have the Snaz Clown White but I have the Ben Nye one and if it's the same thing, I'd say no...unless the parents want to give the kid a good scrubbing. I's made to last, and last it does...found out by painting my 10 year old brother!

Are DFX colors in general only good for line work or are any good for bases?

And which shade is it that was recommended most as a shimmer/glitter powder? One to put over designs without messing them up...

THanks again. Sorry for all the questions!!!

The pink neon...is it okay to use on kids though? I know neons are not recommended by some people to use on minors. I love the colors though!

How are Snaz sparkle colors?Do they come out opaque or hard to see?
colormyworld
colormyworld

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2009-06-23

http://www.sporktacularcreations.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:09 am

I actually only have the Snaz Sparkle Orange in my kit now (got rid of the dark orange and orange) ... use it for everything orange from Tigers to Flames. It is a nice bright colour. So are Sparkle Lilac, Red, Blue, Yellow, Pink, etc.... all nice and obvious. The white is a bit of a pain - I use Grimas Pearl Silver when I want a shiny white base.

Shimmer powders - well, if only wanting to use one, an opal or "white" would probably be best. Gold can also add lovely shimmers on top of colours.

Back to top Go down

Post by glendaoneill Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:51 am

I love the Snaz sparkle colours. I'm using up the last of my flat orange and will be using sparkle from now on.
Thanks for the info on clown white! I think I'll give it a miss

Glenda
glendaoneill
glendaoneill

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2009-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by funfacesforu Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:42 am

I love the snaz sparkle colors also. I've made several rainbow cakes with them. They have a nice shimmer and always get compliments on their colors. To condense my kit I've added the snaz sparkle colors to the snaz reg colors (ex: half snaz red with half snaz sparkle red).
funfacesforu
funfacesforu

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Pickin Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:52 am

If your Wolfe white is cracking, than that means that you've applied it too thick. I use Wolfe almost exclusively for bases, and I never have a problem with it.
Ashley Pickin
Ashley Pickin

Number of posts : 838
Registration date : 2009-06-27

http://www.picnpaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down