Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Painting a baby on the belly? Any tips

5 posters

Go down

Painting a baby on the belly? Any tips Empty Painting a baby on the belly? Any tips

Post by Cherry Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:54 am

Hiya,
A mum-to-be has asked for belly design that includes a portrait of a baby on her tummy. I think it is a great idea, but I have never painted a baby before and was wondering if anyone had any tips in how to paint one? Specifically how to make it look 'life-like' and not cartoonish... This is kind of important because a photographer from the local paper will be taking pics and publishing it for all to see....so no pressure or anything Shocked I'd really love to say yes to this design request, so i guess i better start sketching. Or even, can anyone point me to any examples that i could view?

Thanks in advance!

Cherry

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2011-08-15

Back to top Go down

Painting a baby on the belly? Any tips Empty Re: Painting a baby on the belly? Any tips

Post by Cherry Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:21 am

Oh, my apologies, I see this has been addressed in the thread already..Just found it.

Cherry

Back to top Go down

Painting a baby on the belly? Any tips Empty Re: Painting a baby on the belly? Any tips

Post by Daizy Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:46 pm

I find it really difficult! My biggest advise would be try and paint it in a position that eliminates as much detail as possible, ie lying on its stomach all curled up, or wrapped in a cloth or even a flower...

Painting a baby on the belly? Any tips 185027_10150319232202780_273866407779_9521219_2756713_n

Painting a baby on the belly? Any tips 33596_472913852779_273866407779_6751535_862613_n

Painting a baby on the belly? Any tips 301667_10150365424942780_273866407779_9998601_1859918462_n
Daizy
Daizy

Number of posts : 860
Registration date : 2010-09-02

http://www.daizydesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CATZ Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:20 am

I recommend keeping the colouring pretty subtle and eyes closed to stay away from the cartoonish look. Find an image on google that you like and reproduce it. Remember children's eyes are lower on the face than adults (below halfway). They have big foreheads. I used the DFX skintone palette for this one.
Painting a baby on the belly? Any tips Ep103010
Painting a baby on the belly? Any tips Ep103011
CATZ
CATZ

Number of posts : 887
Registration date : 2009-10-04

http://www.CATZfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:53 am

Defo find an image to use... it is easier to get it right then. I printed off a whole bunch of baby images to use and ended up picking two that I morphed for this belly

Painting a baby on the belly? Any tips Bellybaby

I did the baby in theatrical cream make-up (Ben Nye actually) as it allows for better blending and working over a long period of time - more like an oil painting IYKWIM.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:59 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. You all paint such beautiful bellies Very Happy

My client actually sent me pics of some of Daizy's and Catz work for things she would like painted on her belly. Basically she wanted a blue theme (boy), with a baby, stork and the words 'we already love you'. If i figure out how to post a pic i'll put one up....

Cherry

Back to top Go down

Post by JBM Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:23 am

I went for ultrasound pics then practiced heaps on paper/backs till I got it just right as life drawing is not my thing..
Painting a baby on the belly? Any tips Wmbell11
JBM
JBM

Number of posts : 629
Registration date : 2010-10-18

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Henna-by-Riana/149537191765171?ref

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:43 am

ok, here it tis.

Mum was really happy with it (she was a beautiful model to work with Very Happy ), but i can see a collection of things i would change next time when I get a baby request....e.g perhaps take a life drawing class! That being said, my camera isn't the best and didn't pick up all the fine detail.

* I used TAG for everything except the banner which was a blend of FAB bronze and TAG metallic gold. I also used snaz white for the stars and outlines.

* Next time I would paint the features of the baby in a darker flesh colour but the camera flash made it brighter than what it actually was. It almost looks white here and it was definitely a tan/beige colour when painted on.

* I need to be better in covering up my white outlines, but i was in a rush...I only had 1.5hrs from start to finish.

* I found the baby pic via youtube where an artist was demonstrating a life drawing of a sleeping baby. I thought the less i 'tinkered' with the features of the baby the better...

* This painting resulted from a combination of pics that mum sent to me for ideas, so it is definitely not an original, nor do a claim to be as talented as the original painters! I wish! I also hope i haven't stepped on anyone's toes by doing this but i had two days notice to pull something together.

Other than that, i really enjoyed doing it and can't wait for the next one Smile

Painting a baby on the belly? Any tips 31066210

Cherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:45 am

That's beautiful JBM...and i'm with you...life drawing is not my thing..I definitely have to take a class..

Cherry

Back to top Go down

Post by CATZ Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:48 pm

That's really sweet Renzed Very Happy

The bronze and gold against the blue is beautiful. Don't be afraid of darker outlining. (JBM did a great job of that!) I'm working on that too, that's why I mention it. With body art, contrast is really important so it can make an impact from a distance too. Lucie Brouillard told me you get extra points in a competition when you incorporate a 'real face'...the reason is it's HARD to do Very Happy Good for you for giving it a go. I learn from every painting and as Michaelangelo says...'you have to paint 1,000 paintings before you can begin to paint.' I just wish I had more time to practice!

You mentioned your client showed some of my work as ideas...I take that as a BIG compliment. It made my day to hear that Very Happy I live on the other side of the world! Very cool!

My name is 'Magna' BTW...'CATZ' is my business name...stands for, 'Creativity A to Z' Very Happy
CATZ
CATZ

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:37 am

I would take it as a huge compliment as well Magna Very Happy I'm glad it made your day. It would really validate your work and talent Very Happy Gotta love the power of the net and social networking to connect everybody. I had a lady comment on one of my painting pics on my fb page today....she lives in Las Vegas...How in the world did she find me??? It's pretty cool.

& thanks for the words of encouragement. That was my third belly ever and i'm hooked. Belly painting is relatively unknown in my area, so i'm hoping that with a bit of exposure more women will want to get it done and i'll have more opportunity to practice painting on this beautiful canvas Smile

Love the meaning behind your business name. My name is Renee btw. I had no idea what to call my business so i just combined my daughters name and her eye colour to get "Indigo Blue FP".

Cherry

Back to top Go down

Post by CATZ Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:35 am

Renee,

Love your avatar belly too! I've seen the original 'the scream' when I lived in Norway. Kinda captures a mother's 'real' feelings about giving birth when they're really honest with themselves I think lol!

Belly painting is truly addictive!
CATZ
CATZ

Back to top Go down

Post by poizonedpeach Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:52 am

Riana, do you mind if I use your belly painting as inspiration?? My friend saw your picture and fell in love!
poizonedpeach
poizonedpeach

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2010-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down