Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Working with your own kids?

+23
Peachymango
Denise Cold
Mug Shots
tinyfairies6768
ChangingFaceDesigns
Psalmbook
jendez04
Griffinblue
artyfacesbyluz
anniel
Amy Moon
Noella
rthling
Gamezgirl
kingsalami
a face painting mom
AngieAnders
Manabanana
CottonKandyClown
Arty-Farty Party
Sparklyone
fesspenter
summers4seasons
27 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Working with your own kids? - Page 2 Empty Re: Working with your own kids?

Post by summers4seasons Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:45 pm

Wow! What great and talented families! My son will be 7 in Jan. He loves to be the center of attention and have an audience. I think he would be great at grabbing customers. As it is he will stop everyone at the store, "Hey, you like my face? My mom did it. Isn't it cool!". Hahaha I usually practice on him in the mornings. I just worry about him getting bored halfway through.
summers4seasons
summers4seasons

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2011-07-30

Back to top Go down

Post by tinyfairies6768 Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:25 pm

I bring my 12 year old to many of my events and private parties. I introduce her as my helper and no one has seem "put off" by her attendance. She does clean brushes, set up and help me tear down as well as managing the line (collecting money, issuing tickets, answering questions, etc.)

She is also learning how to do glitter tats and has expressed an interest in balloon twisting and henna.

My 3 younger ones I leave with a sitter....the 8 & 1 year old are a NO WAY and the 6 year old has a one track mind when it comes to any type of uncomfortableness (hungry, hot, thirsty....)!
tinyfairies6768
tinyfairies6768

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2010-06-17

http://www.probodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mug Shots Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:22 am

My 11 year old asked for balloon twisting stuff for her birthday, then sat down and learned how to make about 12-15 things, and she has her own "business". I got her started, and she is in my booth, charging $1 per balloon, and that child might make $100-$150 a festival. My 13 year old just started doing glitter tattoos, and this too will be her business. I advertise all 3, let them do parties with me, festivals, what ever. They are very professional for their age. When they are not doing their own thing, they change my water, go get change, whatever. I LOVE working with my kids, and they love being able to have a job that earns more money than most teenage jobs!
Mug Shots
Mug Shots

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2011-07-05

http://mugshotsfacepainting.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:05 am

I've really enjoyed working with my daughter Emma. Sometimes I can't pay her very much...I don't pay by the hour...but sometimes she makes good money like when we did a busy fair or had two jobs a couple of weekends ago. I pay her 25% of what I take in.

I'm sad because she's taken a job at a sandwich shop but she's doing well there and I'm still planning on taking her on busier corporate jobs.

I don't think I could work with all my children but if you enjoy their company in "real" life, you'll probably enjoy working with them face painting.

D.
Denise Cold
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachymango Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:49 am

Sometimes my daughter and I work together, but she is 27 and an awesome balloon twisterWorking with your own kids? - Page 2 74066610
Peachymango
Peachymango

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2010-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by jendez04 Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:43 pm

When I do festivals, my 12 y/o girl handles the tatts. She rakes in about $150 on her own, and I let her keep it. Then, when she's low on tatts, glitter, or glue, she will place an order for more supplies (with my help of course). She's been able to buy her own stuff and most importantly, save up her money.
The way I figure it is she (my 12 y/o) could make more cash on a weekend than working at any ol' MickyDee's, but on the other hand, work experience is a good thing for teens to have. I'm just training her so she could have a side job if she wishes to in the future. And... we have such a blast working together!!!
jendez04
jendez04

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2011-03-19

http://www.funfacesbyjennie.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:16 pm

I am glad twofold to have my daughter and ehopefully eventually my son working with me. Firstly, I am over the top excited she has taken such an interest in something that I love to do. Secondly, she is learning so many things now that she'll need to call upon later in her life.

Sometimes I get caught up watching her do her thing, and yessssss I have to admit that I love she doesn't come to me for money anymore and has even stated she no longer needs her $5/wk allowance. whoooo hooooo!!

I too have to say there will be no working the typical afterschool job for her once she finds out what they actually make lololol...............unless it's a Claires Boutique she lovessssss that place.
ChangingFaceDesigns
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Skidzz Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:19 am

Cool!!! I am so happy for those of you who can "work" with your kiddos! I try to let my daughter who is 15 yo in on it. She is an amazing saleswoman, and she is my model as well, but she tends to talk the peoples ears off. She has ODD, which is a form of ADHD, but well she has a very small attention span. I think I am going to invest in the glitter tattoo set so that she can have something extra to do, and something of her own to focus on. Thank you all for the idea.
Skidzz
Skidzz

Number of posts : 499
Registration date : 2010-07-10

http://www.facepaintingcolorado.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tinyfairies6768 Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:27 pm

Don't get me wrong...you definitely have to inform your child of the "do's & do not's". My daughter is very intelligent (ahem...kind of a know it all) and I've had to inform her on a few occassions that it is not "polite" to argue with the patrons...even if you are correct! I think it will be a good lesson for her in life, because there are many situations where you are simply better off just "agreeing to disagree" and every argument doesn't need to be WON!!! Neutral
tinyfairies6768
tinyfairies6768

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2010-06-17

http://www.probodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by creative lady Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:45 pm

My 17 yr. and I work together and have for the past four years. The face painting business started out as her's and I joined in due to insurance. Now I love it and I've added glitter tat's and my adult son has taken up ballooning. We would like to take up balloon decorating eventually and painting tat's as well.
It's great to keep it in the family and makes you all closer.

creative lady

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2010-09-29

http://wix.com/creativeladies/Our-Creative-Imaginings-Face

Back to top Go down

Post by Jody Rife Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:46 am

It's funny, I have an eight yr old lil girl, that is very needy of mommy and I cannot take her on ANY kind of job because she wants to much mommy time and I can't give it. I have a 17 yr old boy who would rather make minimum wg at KFC than work as a line manager. He is so sweet, and doesn't like confrontation, so probably wouldn't be the best job for him anyway. But wait for it.... I have a middle child. My 14 yr old son. He is all about the buck and thinks he is tough enough to handle the nastiest customers,LOL

I have taken him with me many times as my paid helper guy. I had a few unfortunate instances with a weirdo calling my house about "private lessons", and didn't travel by myself for a while. So my 14 yr old took on the self proclaimed title of "Mom's body guard"! LOL But he made sure to let me know that body guarding would be extra. lol!
Jody Rife
Jody Rife

Number of posts : 1725
Registration date : 2011-02-19

http://www.jodyrife.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MelodyFPL Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:22 pm

Heck yes I bring my kids! Magnolia is 7 and Elijah is 11 and I only bring one at a time. Maggie loves to be painted and is super personable, so shes a great model. A living canvas makes a huge difference over photos. She tends to get a little distracted though and doesnt always keep washing brushes like she should, especially if there is a kid her age there to talk to. Elijah is diligent and helps wash brushes and fetch water. They are both a great help regardless and people seem to like seeing the kids hep out. It works well for us.
MelodyFPL
MelodyFPL

Number of posts : 943
Registration date : 2011-07-02

http://www.nyfacepaintlady.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2