Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Allergic reaction to Snazaroo??

5 posters

Go down

Allergic reaction to Snazaroo?? Empty Allergic reaction to Snazaroo??

Post by JBM Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:09 am

So I've just added face painting into my henna business cause I moved to a small rural town with lots of young kids and it seemed like a good idea. I've done 3 events and 2 markets and its been really well received. I've got a 100% Snazaroo kit because from my reading it seemed the safest paint for the age group I'm working with which is 3-8yr olds as the older kits are more into the henna.

I did a contracted (not ppf) event today and one of the mum's from our playgroup got her kids done. She just texted to say that the younger one has had a reaction to the paint. I saw them about an hour after they were painted and they were fine, but getting this text tonight sent me into a spin! I mean first concern was what to do to make it better? Got on the Snaz site that says reactons are like 1 in 10 000 rare but if it is a reaction Benadryl lotion. So I called her back and told her this and directed her to the Snaz safety page. Luckily her other little girl is ok and she knows me from playgroup so was pretty friendly about it and happy that I took her concern seriously.

I know that some people are going to be allergic but I'm feeling pretty bummed. I mean besides hurting a little face I'm worried cause the rumour mill in this town is crazy bad - like if I told one person there was a crocodile in the lake it would be in the paper by tommorrow...
The fact it didn't react till she took it off suggests to me maybe she used baby wipes or harsh soap but that doesn't help if tongues get wagging.

This is just not what I want for a new business in a small town. I'm pretty stoked with the quality of my work thanks to this forum and you tube and practice practice practice so hopefully that will get people talking more..

So how do others deal with allergic reactions?

Crying or Very sad
JBM
JBM

Number of posts : 629
Registration date : 2010-10-18

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Henna-by-Riana/149537191765171?ref

Back to top Go down

Allergic reaction to Snazaroo?? Empty Re: Allergic reaction to Snazaroo??

Post by Psalmbook Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:43 am

What was his reaction & was it to a specific color?
There are often lots of variables that can happen once the child leaves your chair. While it could have been a reaction to the paints, it could also have been a reaction to the removal process(the soap, baby wipes, vigorous scrubbing, did he have on any sunscreen?).
I've not had anyone have a reaction to my face paints, but met a boy yesterday who was painted by a reputable face painter in my area. He reacted to green(most likely snaz or dfx). But after questioning his mom & him about it, it seems the grandpa took him to a restroom & removed the paint. They used hand soap & paper towels. My guess for him, was that he was way to vigorous & he reacted to the soap, not the paint. I painted him yesterday & he did fine.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:07 am

I've had one child react to my Snazaroo paints (I also use it for the fact that it is less likely to cause reactions than any other paints)... he has an allergy to red and blue food dyes. He never had a topical reaction before, but how often do you put food dyes on your skin instead of in your mouth? It is rare, but not impossible.

I've personally had reactions to Wolfe/DFX and there are a lot of paints with similar ingredients to those. There are also a lot of people who are allergic to fragrances which is a good reason to avoid Paradise (in my opinion). But it seems to me that most people are more worried about what looks the best than the chances of reactions. And not everyone who has a reaction will tell you about it the way that lady did.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabtastic Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:19 am

I had a mom ask me if the paints contain methyl paraben, because her daughter was allergic to it. I said yes, they absolutely did. To my surprise, she let her get painted anyway, as long as the girl promised to take an antihistamine as soon as they got home. I didn't want to do it but the mom insisted it would be okay, and even the daughter (she was about 12) said it was no big deal, she had to do it all the time. Methyl paraben is a preservative that is in a lot of stuff, especially bath and beauty products.

I think it was on this forum that I had read about methyl paraben, and I was so glad that I was knowledgeable about the products I was using. I was VERY nervous about painting that girl! I did a design that used as little paint as possible, lots of glitter instead.

Edited to add: Yes it was on this forum I read about it, here: http://www.facepaintforum.com/general-face-painting-f1/face-paint-recall-t588.htm
Fabtastic
Fabtastic

Number of posts : 639
Registration date : 2010-07-10

http://www.fabtastic.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by JBM Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:27 pm

Phew. I just got back from playgroup and it was a reaction to the baby wipes and not the paint and the little girls face is fine today. Thankfully the mum was really cool about it and has even booked me to paint at the playgroup xmas party. So all good. She was telling everyone how beautiful the face paintings were as well - I did rainbows and a rainbow butterfly with a snaz sparkle split cake. With Snaz white and pink for details.
This really got me thinking about paints again. Everything we use on our skin at home is organic paraben free etc. I'm wondering about approaching some of the better organic make-up companies to make a paint.. cause grimas pure seems to get dud reviews and kids these days just seem so allergy prone...
Thanks for the answers its good to have this forum when things are a bit challenging. Smile
JBM
JBM

Back to top Go down

Post by SuzySparkles Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:42 pm

I use almost ALL DFX for bases and line work... never had any reactions... just a bit of staining... nothing long lasting though.
SuzySparkles
SuzySparkles

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:59 pm

I'm just curious. I heard it mentioned on another site that the only reason snaz has it's family safety rating is it's packaging & has nothing to do w/ the ingredients in the paint. Does anyone know if this is true?
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:56 am

I've got copies of the reports - Child Toy Safety Rating does indeed relate more to the packaging than the contents HOWEVER there is another document that is very detailed regarding ingredients.

Back to top Go down

Post by JBM Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:34 am

The Snazaroo website goes into quite a bit of detail about safety and testing in the FAQ's too. I was glad to be able to direct the mum to their safety info and to be able to assure her that the paint I was using was safety tested - even though i was kind of freaking I was glad that I wasn't just using any old paint (my insurance doesn't specify that it has to be pro paint but I'm guessing that would come up if the s#$t ever hit the fan) and I think it eased her mind when she read the info cause she also said today that she'd looked up the paint I was using and it seemed really good.
JBM
JBM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down