Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I need advice for my first body paint

+2
wmeventservices
Keesha
6 posters

Go down

I need advice for my first body paint Empty I need advice for my first body paint

Post by Keesha Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:05 pm

Hi,
On Halloween I will be doing my first body paint as part of a Halloween costume. She said she will be an ice fairy and she wants it to be really beautiful. I really need any advice that you can give me about body painting. Is there any special products I need that arn't used in normal everyday face painting? She's and art student so I am waiting on her to e-mail me a drawing of what she wants (she said it was just a general idea but I could change it in any way that I wanted to) Please, help me!! I'm really nervous about this! I've always wanted to do a body paint but now that I have the chance I realize how terribly unprepaired I am. Thank you so much in advance!
Keesha
Keesha

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2010-07-26

Back to top Go down

I need advice for my first body paint Empty Re: I need advice for my first body paint

Post by wmeventservices Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:13 pm

If she isn't wearing a bra or bikini, then you will need nipple covers. You can pick them up at Walmart in the bra section. They are like stickers that cover the nipples. Some artists paint without the covers, but most models feel more comfortable when they are used. She will also need seamless thong underwear if she isn't wearing bottoms. Other than that, you will need to set the painting somehow. I know many people will disagree, but plain old hairspray works for me. If shes going Icy, the use of latex and glitter would probably make a beautiful add on. There is a thread on here about how to do a latex and glitter painting. But even if you don't use the latex, I would go with a lot of glitter.
wmeventservices
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

I need advice for my first body paint Empty Re: I need advice for my first body paint

Post by Guest Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:58 pm

You need to be aware of the laws too - if she is planning to go into public there may be local bylaws regarding nipple covers vs bras vs whatever. These are usually connected to liquor licenses so check just so YOU know.

I get people to sign waivers saying that I am not responsible for anything related to nudity laws etc, that I've advised them of what I know to be the local law and it is their choice and responsibility to go out in paint.

Same for latex - they sign a waiver stating I have advised them of the products and possible risks, they have stated they have no known allergies and are wearing it at their own risk.

I like to cover my a** I need advice for my first body paint Icon_wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Keesha Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:14 pm

She will be wearing a corset top and a long skirt that is slit up both sides to the hip. I will be painting arms and legs and from her chest up, so I don't have to worry about all that. I was looking into barrier sprays but there are so many different kinds. Which one do you prefer? I was planning on using a lot of glitter and maybe doingn some jewlery painted on her.
Keesha
Keesha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:41 pm

Oh, okay. I actually never use barrier sprays. If we are worried about it I will powder with a like colour of shimmer powder or pigment powder. Or use regular make-up and powder which will hold very well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Keesha Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:25 pm

Thanks, I was accually thinking about doing the base color in a powder (like starblend or something) She's wanting a very light white and blue base can i do body painting with powders as the base or is this a bad idea?
Keesha
Keesha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:29 pm

Actually it would be okay in shimmer powders... irridescent, sparkley, holds pretty well... doesn't rub and wear like a water based paint. You could use glitter and body glue to embellish (basicallly freehand glitter tatts)... all of which will hold up very well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:18 am

Wouldn't Starblend be hard to apply on such a large area? Very time consuming as opposed to sponging? Just curious?
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:24 pm

I am also doing my first body painting this Halloween. Avatar female. And I invested in an airbrush for the base. I know it is kinda overkill to buy a new airbrush for a body painting, but I know I will use it again.

That way the airbrush makeup will last a lot longer then water based makeup. can you borrow one from someone?
How about a pearl white base? That wouild be totally wintery.
Can't wait to see pictures.
Have fun with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Keesha Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:53 pm

The the reason i wast thinking about using powders is because she said she would like the base color to be a little translucent. Is there a way to get that effect with paint without it looking blotchy?
Keesha
Keesha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:41 pm

Shimmer powders make a nice base... not blotchy - I generally apply with a soft powder brush. Perhaps the Starblends are blotchy for dry application, but you can also use them wet (they are pancake make-up)

For the amount of skin you are covering I think the powders would be fine - she's wearing clothes, you're just doing chest/arms etc. right?

Back to top Go down

Post by Keesha Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:17 pm

Yep.
Keesha
Keesha

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:17 pm

ooooh, shimmer powders would be purrrdy! I'm picturing pearly iridescent.

My only advice is body painting takes way longer than you expect it to, especially when starting out, so plan for extra time.

Also, think about false eyelashes and hair/head piece. Those kind of details really add a lot to the overall image.
JBax
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:28 pm

I can't wait to see what you come up with. Photos please?
wmeventservices
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Keesha Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:49 pm

I think what I'm going to be doing is going to be pretty simple. She said she's looking for something that looks fairly natural (for an ice fairy that is) We've talked a lot and I think what we are going to be doing is white on her hands and feet that fades out as it goes up her limbs. Then metalic white swirls going around them (I'm trying to talk her into a little blue highlight) Her face will be similar with faded light blue around her eyes and a gradiated blue lip. Maybe do a crown pattern on her forhead. Then lots of white glitter and a bit of frost special effects makeup around here eyes.
Keesha
Keesha

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcatfin Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:57 am

I mainly body-painted in Hong Kong the last 6 years, 100% humidity and HOT.
I wouldn't/ didn't use a barrier spray or No Sweat; sweat is how bodies cool down and its very easy to help people faint if you block their ability to do that. especially if they are drinking or dancing. At most, when painting for big crowded events, nightclubs or outdoor (ie no A/c), I would use a little fixative (buy the real thing or strong hairspray - as long as its not inhaled/ on the face its basically the same thing but far far cheaper). I do several fine layers of spray where they will rub most against their own bodies or other peoples, and also try to plan designs so that those areas (arms mainly) have less detial that will matter.

Airbrush doesn't always last longer, only if you are using oil-based paints thru it which is a whole different kettle of fish. I'm taking it you have airbrushed other stuff before, that this body isn't going to be your 1st attempt? I'd always take brush & sponge as well as backup, the number of times I have seen airbrushers stuffed as their compresser/ nozzle whatever let them down...

Cat x
Wildcatfin
Wildcatfin

Number of posts : 502
Location : Mainly being a fairy face painter at Bewilderwood in UK
Registration date : 2008-12-16

http://www.bodypaintingbycat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChaCha Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:43 pm

On the hairsapray as a fixative - I am doing a full face and a tribal design for halloween. They will be in night clubs, and one is a bartender. Just lightly spray a couple of coats before painting? I'm using paradise, tag and fx. Are we talking Aqua Net? Or, is there a better product to purchase (I dont have time to order on line).
ChaCha
ChaCha

Number of posts : 253
Registration date : 2010-09-02

http://www.EmbellishedFun.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down