Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to get a nice "opaque" finish ?

5 posters

Go down

How to get a nice "opaque" finish ? Empty How to get a nice "opaque" finish ?

Post by Orkimaru Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:52 pm

Hello !!

I'm still quite new in face painting and one of my great issues is that I would like to achieve neat results (on simple designs at least) like those

How to get a nice "opaque" finish ? A69a3711

but I generally end up with a watered down version, like this: The white is not opaque on top of other colors and I can see the "stroke" of my brush.

How to get a nice "opaque" finish ? Img_2012  (click to see my tired face bigger  Razz )

Can somebody explain to me what's up? is it a brush problem (my brush are cheap but quite decent I guess) or me using to much water or wrong movement?

I have to do a bunch of very quick (so, simple) design in a week or so (don't worry I'm not payed for this haha) and this is kinda ruining it. What do you think?
Orkimaru
Orkimaru

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2015-10-18

Back to top Go down

How to get a nice "opaque" finish ? Empty Re: How to get a nice "opaque" finish ?

Post by jlirie Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:09 pm

white over a dark color is always difficult.  try to let the background color dry a bit before doing the linework. p.s. if you look closely at the sample photo you posted that you want to emulate, you will still see the shadow of the colors under the white linework.

you can do this by painting the background (base) color first, then painting other areas or details, adding glitter, and doing the white linework the very last.

and the brand of white you use is important - brands for good linework include the paraffin wax based ones - wolfe, tag, dfx, and cameleon. i see from your other post you are using dfx, so that's good.

load your brush well with white face paint that is not too runny and not too thick.  go over the linework with a second coat if needed.  

a good brush will have smooth hairs lying in the same direction, and coming to a nice point. it will hold it's shape when loaded with paint, and while painting. after that, practice, practice, practice.

if, like many new face painters, you have ever tried using snazaroo for linework, despair now and switch brands, lol! snaz is notoriously difficult for linework.

good luck and let us know if you have any more questions. you can search the forum for lots of these kinds of tips, too. just type your key word in the search box at the top.
jlirie
jlirie

Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

How to get a nice "opaque" finish ? Empty Re: How to get a nice "opaque" finish ?

Post by Orkimaru Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:54 pm

THank you so much !!!

I had looked around for a similar post with the search tool but couldn't find any. I guess I mostly have to put less water on my paint and wait a bit more....
I'm trying to nail some designs under 5minutes at the moment, so timing is key.
I'll tell you if anything changes when I get my loew cornell (what a cool gift !!), that will help too.

I tried snazarro, I actually have some for some white and black base, but yeah it's not good for linework. Considering I came from the world of liquid paint, it was quite a shock to try and use it lol!
Orkimaru
Orkimaru

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:42 pm

another thing you could do is switch colors around.

use slightly lighter base colors under white linework.

or use lighter base colors and dark colors for linework. besides black, you have probably seen people use dark purple, dark blue, dark green, or dark red as a complementary color to the base colors.

personally, i prefer to do designs that look good even if you aren't perfect. i tend to avoid designs that are more difficult to do - like white over dark colors, lots of straight lines, lots of tiny details, etc.

or i change them or simplify to make then easier to do. when face painting in public with a line of kids, i like designs that can be done fast and still look good.

elaborate designs are better for smaller venues or portraits, or to show the extent of your skills.
jlirie
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by Orkimaru Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:44 am

So the event is done, it was a lot of fun !! I had roughly 15 kids aged from 3 to 6ish + 5 teens to paint in roughly one hour. What an adrenaline rush !! But your advice were so helpful, I ended up doing all my line work in darker colors.

I tried to make the designs as intricate as I could within the small amount of time I had, it wasn't amazing on all of them but, they enjoyed it so Smile

I'm pretty positive I need to work on knowing the level of 'wetness' my paints can handle though....

Anyway, thanks a lot for the advice it helped me a lot on my first 'half real' event cheers
Orkimaru
Orkimaru

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:22 pm

glad it worked out and everyone had fun. i'd say 20 people in an hour is pretty real!

enjoy practicing and perfecting your technique, it's always a good feeling when you "get" how to do something. Smile
jlirie
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:53 pm

it's usually all about brand. Use a was base white on top instead of a glycerin base.
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Orkimaru Sun May 08, 2016 5:17 pm

I use diamond FX/ cameleon for my line work, but for the advice Forest-Fairy !

I think it might be a consistency problem as well Wink I don't face this problem as much now, though It's true I tend to line with darker colors than my base.... I'll try it again
Orkimaru
Orkimaru

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura-Lou Mon May 09, 2016 5:38 am

I'm going to throw my two cents in as well Razz your white definitely looks like it might be too runny and wet it should be like the consistency of single cream (I hope that makes sense!) rather than too watery and if it starts to bleed or run even the tiniest bit then it's too wet!

I also wouldn't write off your cheap brushes just yet, my favourite brush for dots and teardrops came in a pack of like 15 brushes for £3 from a discount store! It's just trying them out and comparing them Smile
Laura-Lou
Laura-Lou

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2015-11-18

http://www.ljfacepainting.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Mon May 09, 2016 10:32 pm

laura-lou, you're right, higher cost does not necessarily mean best brush. my local craft store has some freaky looking loew cornell brushes - bristles splayed all over.
jlirie
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Tue May 10, 2016 6:45 pm

Hi just wanted to mention, in hot and humid conditions I keep a bag of dry clean sponges on hand to kind of press onto the newly painted base to give a more dry surface before I draw the lines.
If you just press straight down and lift off it should not alter the color. But it kind of takes away excess moisture.

Cyndi

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-10-10

http://www.cyndimcknight.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down