Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New business with Website design

+4
eviedejesus
jlirie
Kris5115
EnchantedFacesbyDalton
8 posters

Go down

New business with Website design Empty New business with Website design

Post by EnchantedFacesbyDalton Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:20 pm

Hello, I am new to the Face Painting business. I was wondering if I can get feedback on my website! Any and all opinions are wanted. Also, I have some questions!!!

1. I see a lot of face painters put text on their home page. Is this more for keywords to up their google ranking or marketing? What type of info would you recommend?

2. Should I include a FAQ page?

3. What is your experience in putting cost on the website vs call for free quotes?

Anything else please comments!!!

EnchantedFacesbyDalton
EnchantedFacesbyDalton

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2015-09-30

http://www.enchantedfacesbydalton.com

Back to top Go down

New business with Website design Empty Re: New business with Website design

Post by Kris5115 Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:57 am

Hi and welcome. I would recommend going to the introduction section and introducing yourself. It is kind of a polite thing to introduce yourself so we know where you are from and all. Also add your location information in your profile. You'll get better responses since some of your questions depend on location and this is an international forum.

Also, try to keep your questions specific (which they mostly are). Most people are annoyed when someone asks really broad questions like "I'm new and want to know everything without taking any time to research..."

A great way to search this forum is using an internet browser search something like this:
site:www.facepaintforum.com "insurance"
or
site:www.facepaintforum.com "butterflies"

Now, about your website. I like the pictures. Your work is excellent.

The text below the pictures on the main page goes outside of the margins of my screen so I can't read everything, even if I try to scroll. Your font is huge.

Face paint is FDA compliant (not approved). You have a few typos in the About Me page.

Since some of your paintings are very elaborate, I would mention the speed at which you paint and maybe have some examples of different types of faces (something like fast faces where you can paint ~15-20/hour, party faces ~10-12/hour, custom 10-30 minutes each).

Do you have frequently asked questions? If you do, having a FAQ page would be good. You could include the speed information here if you want. Other good things for this page would be removal instructions, FDA compliant paint, and insurance info.

People go either way with pricing. Some prefer custom quotes to take into account distance, type of event, etc. Others have price and/or package info with a disclaimer that these are starting prices and to get a quote for the specific event.

Kris5115
Kris5115

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:58 am

hi and welcome, too.

i use my cell phone, so viewing your website on it.

your photos are nice and big which is good. might want to put more on as you do them, to give an idea of variety, especially simple vs complex designs, as kris mentioned.

i would say the font is too large for comfortable reading.

i would recommend putting your contact info and basic info (kinds of events, areas you serve, etc) at the top of the home page, so people can call or email you right away. also some promo type language to encourage them to do so Smile.
jlirie
jlirie

Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by eviedejesus Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:08 pm

I had a hard time reading the script letters. I have prices on my website because I know that when I am shopping around, I prefer to see prices listed. Some people don’t do that, you should do what you feel comfortable with. For Corporate Rates - I put “call for a custom quote”, because many things will factor into the price.
eviedejesus
eviedejesus

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2012-06-08

http://www.fantasyfacedesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by EnchantedFacesbyDalton Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:36 am

Thank you for your input.... I would like to say, Kris I am happy for your opinion and made my font smaller, I didn't notice until I adjusted my screen.... But, i will say you came off really rude. I didn't put an introduction, because at first when I tried posting it didn't allow me too. When it did, it was 2am and I just did the website post. I feel like this isn't a good site somewhat, do to how you reacted towards me.

jlirie, thank you for your advice and I adjusted my text. Thanks for the other advice too!

evie, thanks for the input, I was thinking about changing the font because of the reading may be hard on some... Thanks again!
EnchantedFacesbyDalton
EnchantedFacesbyDalton

Back to top Go down

Post by EnchantedFacesbyDalton Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:36 am

By the way Kris thank you for the advice ont he FAQ, I will be posting one soon as I have some time!
EnchantedFacesbyDalton
EnchantedFacesbyDalton

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:44 am

EnchantedFacesbyDalton wrote:Thank you for your input.... I would like to say, Kris I am happy for your opinion and made my font smaller, I didn't notice until I adjusted my screen....  But, i will say you came off really rude.  I didn't put an introduction, because at first when I tried posting it didn't allow me too.  When it did, it was 2am and I just did the website post.  I feel like this isn't a good site somewhat, do to how you reacted towards me.

Kris really wasn't being rude but very specific and very helpful in how to navigate the forums, how to get more feedback from users and address issues/concerns/give helpful advice for your website.

I think you might have just misinterpreted how you read the first few paragraphs of her post. People have asked lots of questions without giving enough information - she was offering some kind advice while welcoming you to the forums Smile
LittleMonsters
LittleMonsters

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2014-08-30

http://littlemonstersfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:41 pm

Thanks LittleMonsters. Can you imagine her response if Forest-Fairy had answered first???

I stand by my advice. I welcomed you Dalton, complimented your work and offered straight forward advice on your website and on introducing yourself. I gave my thoughts on each question you asked. Since some of your questions depend on location, I advised inclusion of your location information. Different regions have different expectations on posting prices. Some questions of yours have been discussed on other threads so I pointed to how you could search for them.

If you don't want advice and opinions, don't ask. You even stated "Anything else please comments!!!" What did you expect? No one here even knows you yet. Introduce yourself. Get to know the personalities on the forum and the etiquette of this forum. If you ask for feedback you will get it. But if you can't handle it, don't ask. Or at least wait until after you have had a good night's sleep.

Last edited by Kris5115 on Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kris5115
Kris5115

Back to top Go down

Post by EnchantedFacesbyDalton Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:21 pm

It's sad you cant accept that you were simply rude and need to learn how proper netiquette. Next time do your own research and you will find that on my website it has my location... Isnt that the main topic, my website?

I can handle feedback.. I appreciated everyones feedback... Just not someone who simply is trying to be rude. Especially when some of your feed back doesnt even make sense! Pricing is personal pref.
EnchantedFacesbyDalton
EnchantedFacesbyDalton

Back to top Go down

Post by EnchantedFacesbyDalton Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:23 pm

Last thing, maybe it's not me not handling feed back well. I believe it is you that can't handle my feedback to your message that was not needed. Remember be specific on your answers. the first part wasn't needed... Sorry if you don't like the feedback, maybe you should give it if you can't take it... Just proper online behavior...
EnchantedFacesbyDalton
EnchantedFacesbyDalton

Back to top Go down

Post by Kal Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:29 pm

Kris5115 wrote:Thanks LittleMonsters. Can you imagine her response if Forrest Fairy had answered first???

You're not saying Forest-fairy is rude are you?
Kal
Kal

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2014-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:55 pm

I love Forest-Fairy and don't think she is rude because I've read her posts and know her humor. That's the problem here. Someone new coming in and just judging a direct reply rather than getting to know people and understanding Fessy's cookies and Kammy's cancer and Denise's helpfulness, etc.. I  find that this seems like a repeat of this thread (in which Forest-Fairy was way more "direct" than I):

http://www.facepaintforum.com/t17001-going-to-do-my-first-event-ahhh

I still stand by my advice. Still think it's better to introduce yourself before jumping in and asking questions. Still find my response was direct and answered the questions, including the triple exclamation marked request for any comments. Still don't think it was rude. But I'm sorry if it came across that way.  

This thread was started for feedback and opinions. I gave mine. Doesn't matter to me if my advice was or wasn't taken.

As far as feedback, I didn't ask for an opinion or feedback. I didn't start this thread. I didn't ask any questions. Since I was specifically called rude, it did seem that a response was warranted.
Kris5115
Kris5115

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:42 pm

New business with Website design Aab1b7926d83b70e90d88b10730b6cd98cec1c8de0a5492d8d5766df28553885

So my ears were burning at the mention of my name.... and well you know.

New business with Website design Mariovssonic+rolled+a+random+image+posted+in+comment+632+at+_cc6ad2404f252cdf89c1bcd3486dfcdf

Ok time for truth bombs; and by that I mean my opinion of course, because as we all know it's infallible as unicorns farting rainbows.

First order of "serious business"

Kris5115 was not being rude. She was just reminding the newbie to fill out their profile and make an introduction. This was interpenetrated by said newb as

"OMG whay are you being so rude!?!?! EVERYONE HERE is so mean to me!!!"

Which then in the same post they threatened to 'take their ball and go home.' 

Dude chill, it was just a reminder. We don't even enforce the introduction post. I've been on forums (not face painting ones) where people would freak out and ban the person for not making and intro post. But seriously a reminder to fill out your location and a brief blurb on how best to use the forum isn't a bad thing. In fact that's usually said to a newbie on their intro post, and since Dalton didn't have one, Kris made it here. 

EnchantedFacesbyDalton she wasn't being rude to you. There is nothing in her post that was rude. The only thing I could possibly see as being seen as 'rude' would be that she gave you advice for something you didn't specifically ask for. And even then, calling that 'rude' is like grasping for straws. It's a forum on the internet, she's helping you find your way (yes even if you didn't ask), because she's in the know about the forum and you are a newb. It's par for the course that joining any new forum you are not going to know everything about the way the community works and acts. Unless you 'lurk moar', which i highly encourage everyone to do when joining a forum.

Buuuuuuuut instead of doing that, you choose to get all defensive, and then of course in a classic almost text book case of projection you accuse Kris of being the one of not handling feedback very well. Wow. 

Let me clear a few things up for you Dalton, when she said to fill out your location, she meant HERE on the forum. See under our pics and names how there is a nice area listing our location? Yeah... that. She wasn't talking about your website, which is why YOU got confused. Then again you would know to fill out your location if you would 
New business with Website design Lurkmoar

So Kris told you something you didn't ask for, get over it. It's seriously not that big of a deal. 

She wasn't 'simply trying to be rude', she was trying to help you out - obviously. No one was being rude to you....except maybe me now... in a comic immature jovial 'telling it like it is' way. 
New business with Website design Post-19911-Im-an-adult-unicorn-rainbow-st-bTJE

Kris you are totally right, if I answered first Miss Defensive Pants probably would probably faint from all my rudeness and blunt humor.

Like this for example:

Had I been the first to comment on your website Dalton, rest assured my comment would have included this image.

New business with Website design RwzlKb1

I think we can all learn a few things from this thread...

1. When you are the one asking others for advice, and making a new thread with this sole purpose, be prepared to take whatever advice is given in that thread, even if it wasn't directly connected to your original question.

2. Don't get defensive just because you don't like 'to be told'.

3. Don't project, by accusing the other person of not taking advice well when you can't handle an ounce of it yourself which was said to you in a totally not rude way.

4. Don't cook bacon naked.
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Krissiemarie Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:09 pm

I like your page, I still don't have one, I'm not tech savvy, or maybe its web illiterate.

no comment on rude or not rude. I like to stay out of it all.

Forest Fairy why not cook bacon naked? Its deliciously dangerous. its like Russian roulette with bacon grease.
Krissiemarie
Krissiemarie

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2011-07-21

https://www.facebook.com/facepaintingbykristina

Back to top Go down

Post by Kal Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:09 pm

Urgggh... I can already feel hot grease hitting sensitive skin. I think I'll just demand that someone else cook the bacon nekkid.
Kal
Kal

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2014-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:48 pm

Kris5115 wrote:Thanks LittleMonsters. Can you imagine her response if Forest-Fairy had answered first???

LOL! Is it bad I honestly said to myself, "Be glad Forest-Fairy didn't get to you first!" Haha... oh goodness! Razz
LittleMonsters
LittleMonsters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:33 pm

Thanks Forest-Fairy for confirming the obvious. I'm not real fond of being *yelled* at for offering what I felt was honest, direct, useful and at least partially complimentary advice for a self admitted newbie who asked for "any and all opinions".

It is too bad that it went down this way. I wish she had just gone and introduced herself. There would have been several warm fuzzy welcome messages.

Some of her questions had been discussed in other threads and a little searching would have opened up a world of wisdom from so many knowledgeable people on the fpf. A little search on FDA compliant vs FDA approved would have let her know what the differences are.

And since on her website, she says she can paint all of the full+ face designs in her gallery in 1-4 minutes, she's pretty good and fast. I'm sure there would have been many ways she could have contributed to and participated in this community.

Plus finally, and most importantly, I really think she wouldn't have felt so hurt had she introduced herself and done some searches (and a bit of lurking). I know there are forums where people just pop in, ask their questions and leave, but this forum is more of a community of friends and colleagues. (Which is why I recommended the introduction and searches in the first place. *sigh*).
Kris5115
Kris5115

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:37 pm

now now kiddies. Razz I'm glad we are all on the same page about how totally amazing I am.
New business with Website design 1362935824_truestory

It's true, my humor and tone can come off wrong if one is unawares of the context of my character and writing style. Which is why i try to use more memes and emotes  then I used to, reminds everyone that what I say is supposed to be taken in a light hearted way, and not an 'Internetz is serious business' way. Razz

No problem Kris. It's pretty obvious you were not "simply trying to be rude", I mean why would you? There is no logical reason.

Too bad Dalton had to freak out an go on the defensive, and accusation route. Her work is decent and she might have even had something to contribute to the forum if her resentment for constructive crit didn't get in the way. I doubt anyone would bat an eye if she simply said she was sorry that she misunderstood your intent, but I don't get the feeling she would humble herself that much to admit to any wrong doing herself.

And in the end I think we want people on the forum who can handle constructive crit and share ideas with out getting offended if one little thing seems out of place to them. :/
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by EnchantedFacesbyDalton Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:34 pm

You are right, I don't understand why Kris couldn't humble herself or couldn't apologize... But, I guess it is alright. You cannot say there is no logical reason, I feel you can use exactly that. However you look at it, my business is doing well, so... Oh well. Smile
EnchantedFacesbyDalton
EnchantedFacesbyDalton

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:30 am

EnchantedFacesbyDalton wrote:You are right, I don't understand why Kris couldn't humble herself or couldn't apologize...

Lol!  Totally not what FF was saying, haha!  But glad you're business is doing well!
LittleMonsters
LittleMonsters

Back to top Go down

Post by EnchantedFacesbyDalton Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:36 am

I was being sarcastic... i understand you guys are standing up for Kris because you guys are her friends, especially over someone who just joined. But, in reality Kris being the "reg" in this board, she should have been the "bigger" person or the "humble" one. Right or wrong, even though I shared this with people I know and guess what, they said the same I said... Kris was rude... So, However we look at it, I believe she was rude, you guys don't. I appreciate everyone else criticism... I took it and changed some things, I thank you all for that, but Kris came at it wrong... just my opinion....
EnchantedFacesbyDalton
EnchantedFacesbyDalton

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:33 am

No surprise that your friends agreed with you. I suspect that you only showed part of my post and didn't include the hi and welcome and your work is great parts. As for wanting an apology, you must have missed my post on 10/5 where I did apologize if my post came across as rude.

Kris5115 wrote:But I'm sorry if it came across that way.  

You asked for advice. I took time (and I'm as busy as everyone else) and reviewed your website. I offered my thoughts. I welcomed you and complimented you on your work too. And your conclusion, somehow, is that I was being rude. You posted about this perceived rudeness multiple times, polled your friends and inaccurately accused me of several things. I doubt that anything I could ever post would ever change your mind. I find you very unkind. But I forgive you.
Kris5115
Kris5115

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:05 pm

sorry I'm late to the responding game again. Movie Set hours make my brain melt.

@ EnchantedFaces
After hours of intense research it seems to be that sarcasm is mainly detected in audible voice patterns of humans. Which makes me wonder why you thought anyone could 'hear' your 'tone' in a text based comment, most of all with no clear emote or memes that would lead one to think you were trying to be sarcastic. Also makes me wonder how you could make such a mistake after my last comment explicitly lined out the reasons why using such things in text comments is so important if you want to get your 'tone' across correctly. 

Now lets break down your last comment.

"i understand you guys are standing up for Kris because you guys are her friends, especially over someone who just joined."

Actually this might come as a surprise to you, but I don't even know Kris. Shocking news, I know. But the only context I 'know' her in is on this forum, we haven't ever hung out, or had tea or anything of note really. I like her posts, and her work, and I guess I don't automatically assume she's being 'rude'. So if that makes us bosom buddies, then sure, I'll take it....?
Don't kid yourself Dalton, nor I or anyone else is taking her side "just because she's our friend", we are taking her side because she happens to be right on this matter. Something you obviously can't accept and need to make various excuses for.

"But, in reality Kris being the "reg" in this board, she should have been the "bigger" person or the "humble" one."

I don't remember reading that forum rule anywhere. So because she has more posts then you you think she would humble herself, and be 'the bigger person?' what kind of damned fool logic is that? It's almost as if you are applying attributes of you think 'elders' should have, to 'forum regulars'. Does a high post count make us older and wiser for some strange reason? No. It just means we talk more then others and have more free time on our hands! lol

So i REALLY don't get why you think that forum regs should be all saintly or whatever. We are just people like anyone else.

"Right or wrong, even though I shared this with people I know and guess what, they said the same I said..."

Wow, your friends told you you were right and what you wanted to hear. No wonder you have bias in this regard and accused us of also having it! lol Wink

"Kris was rude... So, However we look at it, I believe she was rude, you guys don't."

Dude, you don't even know her. Remember our little talk about tone? What's more likely, that some Stranger online who doesn't know you, and has great character refferences from those of us online who are familiar with her, would all of a sudden decide to be "oh so rude" to a newbie to get her jollies off and to PERSONALLY slight YOU.

OR

Is it more likely and possible that when you read her comment, you were in an ill mood (something that happened earlier in the day, aunt flow, an undigested piece of cheese making you gassy, etc) and you ending up reading her comment in a negative 'tone', and imprinting your own negative feelings on to it's over all context.
Because seriously, read it in the voice of Ben Stein. From a purely logical standpoint here, there are no clear markers of 'sass', 'rudeness', or meanness of any  kind. BUT I can see that if i read in in a certain tone or way, then you could easily put them there, as you could with ANY post. 

Maybe you should take her word for it (and ours) that she wasn't being rude, and didn't intent to be. I mean logically if she was meaning to be rude, why wouldn't he just 'own that sh!t'? Why go back on it? Just to mess with you more?

Again she doesn't know you! she has ZERO motive to be purposefully rude to you. So obviously it was either not intended or by mistake, AND she said she was sorry if it came off that way. But that wasn't enough for you.

The REAL question is why can't YOU be the bigger person? If you had been, then maybe the conversation might have looked more like this.

You: Hey you were rude to me.

Her: No I wasn't, at least i wasn't trying to be.

You: Oh! sorry, my mistake! Smile

But you know why that didn't happen? Because in your mind, what you think is truth, despite evidence to the contrary. And finally a most classic case of projection, it's YOU who can't humble your self or be the bigger person, even when it's totally YOU that SHOULD be doing that, and no one else.

But hey, that's just my opinion. Wink
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down