Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you charge a sales tax for your services?

5 posters

Go down

Do you charge a sales tax for your services? Empty Do you charge a sales tax for your services?

Post by blondyandy Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:46 pm

Hello,

So given the nature of this time of year and having to pay taxes For the jobs I've done, I'm starting to wonder how many if you charge and additional sales tax on top of your quoted rates? I realize now, I'm making much less than I thought hourly when all is said and done at the end of the year after paying Uncle Sam his cut.

If you do charge a sales tax, how does the customer react? Are they ok with it? I just had a photographer come to my house the other day to snap 15 minutes with of photos and he charged me $100, plus tax=$107, for literally 15 minutes. I started thinking, I don't even charge that and I've been shooting myself in the foot for not charging tax to my clients if I'm claiming on my 1099.

Please tell me how you handle this personally. Thank you!!
blondyandy
blondyandy

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2014-05-18

Back to top Go down

Do you charge a sales tax for your services? Empty Re: Do you charge a sales tax for your services?

Post by rthling Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:13 pm

I don't charge tax. I pay my taxes on the cash I am paid.
rthling
rthling

Number of posts : 1830
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Do you charge a sales tax for your services? Empty Re: Do you charge a sales tax for your services?

Post by Forest-Fairy Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:05 pm

I include my taxes in my rounded rate. I also advertise it as a 'flat rate' that 'includes GST' (our Canadian tax). Some times i also say 'no hidden costs'. I do this for my clients so the amount they pay is  rounded and i don't have to deal with small change at a birthday or something and neither do they. Smile

Besides, I don't always claim everything I make busking, so it more then makes up for what the gov takes. Wink
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:58 pm

I would guess taxing your service depends on where you live and the regulations you are governed by.

I live in California, USA. In my state services are not a taxable "thing". Face Painting is a service. We do not therefore collect taxes on our service.

This is true for most states products / tangibles are taxed services are not. In California a photographer is providing a service and I would not pay him a sales tax.
Sweet Loretta
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:46 am

Same here. It's a service , so not taxable. You do pay taxes on your income like everyone else. It's best to get an accountant to help you navigate this part of the business.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:14 pm

In Canada you don't have to charge or pay the GST (Goods and Services Tax) until your earnings reach a specific threshold. Then you have to register your business and obtain a GST number at which point you are legally required to submit the GST collected on your earnings to the government on a quarterly basis.

You need to check out the requirements in your jurisdiction as they will vary and taking advice from people in a different State or Country probably isn't in your best interests. Easy way is to ask an accountant.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down