Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Costume when painting?

+5
fesspenter
Coral3
Jenn Doll
nikkili26
KrissyJay
9 posters

Go down

Costume when painting?  Empty Costume when painting?

Post by KrissyJay Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:08 am

Hey guys, I am contemplating wearing some thing fun and silly when I paint at private parties (or maybe even at events) nothing much, just some bright coloured synthetic dreads. But was wondering if I should dress normally for parents to take me seriously. But part of me still thinks parents would like it if it makes their kids happy.. . So what do you think?

KrissyJay

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Costume when painting?  Empty Re: Costume when painting?

Post by nikkili26 Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:11 am

I dunno, it's up to you.
I go in all black, and the kids are always going completely bonkers as soon as I walk in.

For a very very young kids party, I will paint myself something pretty just to let the adults know that I CAN paint them something-they don't necessarily HAVE to get something full faces and bright like the kids.
nikkili26
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:13 am

You could always ask if they have a theme....

It never hurts to learn a few magic tricks either-my favorite is the "behind the ear" trick...the kids love it when i pull the sponge or glitter from their ear.

Another good one is the disapearing paintbrush trick, and the business card tricks where the ink is magically printed on.

also, if you arrive with a twisted balloon for the birthday child....

you don't have to twist it in front of them, and you don't have to make enough for everybody-but at least it'll add to the fun.

if you are going to dress up as something, you have to play the role.

Last edited by nikkili26 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
nikkili26
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenn Doll Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:53 pm

First let me say that I had to think this one for a long time!

Secondly I am, and will never be a clown. It is just not who I am.

That being said, I have been a princess once and a fairy twice. Both costumes I made from old prom dresses and were both for girly birthday parties... I did charge extra $25-$50 to do so. It is not as comfortable to paint in... but for a 2 hour birthday party it was worth it for me. I am a girly, over the top kinda person... I arrived in a bussle... and talked to the kids kind of "in character"... I had a blast! My husband thinks I'm crazy... meh... everyday is a new day!!

So If you feel comfortable doing so, and it is who you are... than go for it!! I go for more the artsy pixie... rather than a Disney or any other "known" person... Smile

I also have worn a black outfit, with my colorful apron, and my face all painted up and added a big sparkly pair of fairy wings!! It was for a all day outdoor art fair... Smile It brought a lot of attention... Smile
Jenn Doll
Jenn Doll

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2012-03-12

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Landen-Road-Designs/4471074784

Back to top Go down

Post by KrissyJay Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:10 pm

Thanks for all the advice Nikkili!!!

And thats exactly what I was thinking Jenn Doll, I am no in anyway a clown, so I was thinking silly hair would be enough of a fun thing to excite the kids but not be so over the top I draw too much attention or have to act like a character.

KrissyJay

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:18 pm

well, do you normally wear stuff like the dreads?

I get along great with kids, but I'm in no way a "clown" person-you will not catch me rolling around on the floor-but you will find me communicating at their eye level, and running around playing with them.

I change up my hair color and texture alot also-constantly with blue hair, purple, raspberry, pink or pitch black with white chunks.

I'm comfortable with colored hair-just makes me feel more like myself....if you're the same, go for it!

I have a few friends who just always have a flower tucked in their hair, or a huge bow, or something along those lines....I imagine if they ever got into face painting, they'd probably do some funkier head peice and they'd feel completely comfortable like that.
nikkili26
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by KrissyJay Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:28 pm

Well my natural hair is in dreads. Maybe that why I am comfortable with bright coloured ones, lol! But I don't dye my real hair.
Generally I get along well with kids, I don't go all super cheery, for me that gets them too riled up... I usually ask them nicely about school and cartoons and their interests and what not. I generally smile and speak relaxed and stuff, and I find they relax too. I don't really play (well run around sort of play) with kids that I don't know though since I feel nervous about one falling and then the parent thinking I was careless.

KrissyJay

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:30 pm

go for it then!!!
have fun!
nikkili26
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by KrissyJay Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:34 pm

Very Happy Will post a picture of them when I'm finish making them. Feeling excited!

KrissyJay

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:27 pm

If you're going to go with something like tie-in cyberlocks/dreadfalls you might want to try wearing them for a day around the house before wearing them to a gig, just so you know what you're in for.  

My cyberlocks hurt after a while.  They actually left my scalp bruised when had to wear them for 7 hours straight recently.  Couldn't wait to get home to get them off!  They're not heavy at all, but to get them in there right so they won't move I have to do my hair up tight, & that's what hurts.

Definitely post a photo, would love to see what you make! Very Happy 
Coral3
Coral3

Number of posts : 570
Registration date : 2012-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:08 pm

A French Maid's uniform.
Oh,
Wait!
Nobody wants to see
a 53 year old woman wearing that.

Going back to my box now.

xoxo
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by KrissyJay Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:14 pm

Thanks for the tip Coral! Will definitely test drive them.

@fesspenter
I'm sure u'd rock that uniform! Come out that box and strut your stuff!!

KrissyJay

Back to top Go down

Post by ReRe Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:39 am

There are lots of fun baseball caps with sparkles all over or even make your own. Then paint your face to match. Nice and easy. I did a light-up-night on Thursday and wore a hot pink furry cat hat and make-up to match. One little boy kept laughing making it hard to paint his face, but we got it done.
ReRe
ReRe

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2013-10-28

http://jazzndazzle.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TinafromNY Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:56 pm

I just dress in mostly black, especially due to the fact that I ruined some other clothes with tiny colored "specks" of face paint (when I first started out). I don't do anything "fun", just plain hair lol. but even if you're conservative, maybe those little clip in bright colored hair extensions might be cute. Even I might try them lol
TinafromNY
TinafromNY

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2012-07-05

http://www.facefanaticfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneGrant Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:46 pm

I've been toying with this idea lately. I am certainly not the clown type. I also live in a very rural area that already has a clown. However, I want to do something fun. I had considered being a princess or painting my own face before gigs. After seeing Miss Yoko's cyberlox and goggles, I'm in love with the look. It's bright and crazy, just like me Smile I can't wait to make my own set!
YvonneGrant
YvonneGrant

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2013-11-02

http://yvonnejobin.wix.com/fairytalefaces

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:41 pm

Tina, I carry in my kit a tube of something called 'kiss off'.... you just rub it on like chapstick, and any paint stains will come off....

I have an outrageously large set of....boobs....so accidents happen no matter how careful I am.works like magic.
nikkili26
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by novice tammy Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:54 pm

My boobs don't exactly get in the way painting, but I keep a tray on my lap with the paints I'm using on it and sometimes forget and my elbows end up in my paint. It's a really good thing I am not a fan of long sleeve shirts.
novice tammy
novice tammy

Number of posts : 154

http://www.clowningaroundasheville.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down