Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cheek art and small designs?

+4
a face painting mom
Denise Cold
Sneezle
jonwhunt
8 posters

Go down

Cheek art and small designs? Empty Cheek art and small designs?

Post by jonwhunt Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:16 am

Hey guys =) I'm use to doing full face designs but I've got a gig this Sunday at a baseball stadium. And I was told to just focus on small stuff in order to get to as many kids as possible. My problem is that I MIGHT have 8 small designs in my booklet. Any suggestions?

So far I've got 2 swirly eye designs, a dragon, balloons, both new and old Batman emblems, half face butterfly (only covers one eye), flaming baseball, logo for both teams playing, a flower design, Hello Kitty, Nemo, Patrick and Spongebob, Spiderman logo, Superman emblem, and a unicorn. I'd like to have at least double this amount so if you've got ideas, toss them at me =)

jonwhunt

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2013-05-10

Back to top Go down

Cheek art and small designs? Empty Re: Cheek art and small designs?

Post by Sneezle Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:44 am

Do you need designs for small kids or teens and adults??? You already have a lot of designs. Do you really need more???
What about rainbow and clouds, icecream and cupcakes, Ladybug on a leaf, Sunny smiley, Caterpillar, dragonfly, flowers, a bird, spider, scorpion, etc. Good luck!
Sneezle
Sneezle

Number of posts : 886
Registration date : 2013-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by jonwhunt Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:35 pm

Not really sure what I need, I've never painted at a baseball game before. I guess I need to trim down the number of designs... I've got 80 designs in my normal book.

jonwhunt

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:20 am

Instead of dictating the size of the design to you, they should just say "your quickest designs" because honestly, if I had to do the batman emblem it would take me as long as doing a simple batman mask. A princess mask with one-stroke and white is about 1 minute or less. My best advice is to keep the designs to two brushes/loads. And once you've filled a sponge, you might as well use it up on both eyes. My favorite quick design is a Mardi Gra mask that Dawnie posted a long time ago...so quick and impressive. Sorry, not hijacking...just venting a bit. Smile

How about this instead of a 1/2 butterfly:
Cheek art and small designs? P1280710

You could do this with a star stencil instead of blossoms:
Cheek art and small designs? P1280711

My most popular girl design...super simple:
Cheek art and small designs? P1280712

Super quick one-stroke board:
Cheek art and small designs? Super_10

My latest eye design board. Two brush, two minute or less:
Cheek art and small designs? P1280713

Quick boy design board:
Cheek art and small designs? P1280714

Oh, here's the Mardi Gra mask with bonus Mike Tyson tattoo:
Cheek art and small designs? P1270410
Denise Cold
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:05 am

Yep, I totally agree with Denise, and I always share with the person hiring me that quick and small are not always the same thing, and ask if they are looking for small or looking for quick, because most people think size is the thing that dictates speed, and for me at least, that is totally backward. What I say is, you want quick, I can do that, but small is just not in my line up of quick faces. If they want small, I can do small, but small is slow and detailed, quick is fast and simple, but not considered small. Then I tell them that either way they want to go, it is all good design and wow face painting.
a face painting mom
a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jonwhunt Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:54 am

Well I learned my lesson today lol. Batman emblem was super easy for me since I'm a geek and have seen that symbol probably 252987235 times. However I took pictures of kid's characters... that I've never painted before, but was only "small" things I could find. Just a word of warning... the Dispicible Me minions aren't as easy to paint as you might think, especially when they are only 2 inches tall and you have to keep going over the yellow to get it to show up. Ugh.

My new favorite character for cheek design is Jack Skellington from Nightmare Before Christmas. Sooooooo easy.

Sadly I'm just starting out... only been painting maybe a year. Its tough because I'm my own worst critic, everyone else might love something and I'll be thinking "grrrrrr that black line isn't BLACK enough..... this left side is 7 mm off from right side.... FOR THE LOVE OF HABJEEBUS WHAT BRAND WHITE IS EVERYONE ELSE USING!?!?.... sigh"

I've gotta save up for split cakes and stencils, I'm doing everything with just the 12 color starter palette from Diamond FX, the 6 color shimmer palette, about 4 brushes, and lots of sponges.

Another thing I want to ask is how many designs do you guys show? I set out a binder with 90 designs (some I've never even painted) and then I have a copy of that binder I keep beside me to reference.

Any tips for someone just starting out? And how do you keep the brush from getting muddy when doing split cakes? I know how to load it and do the design, but when doing tear drops or lines it seems like the colors would mix on the brush.

jonwhunt

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:03 am

Most people think small is faster, but it's usually not! LOL I can whip out a half face design faster then I can a tiny cheek art design.

Just go with your fast designs. Bigger wows the crowd!
CottonKandyClown
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by TinafromNY Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:33 am

I agree with Cotton Candy. Instead of "emblems" do just a one eye simple spiderman etc. Also, definately add in that Mike Tyson tattoo. I get asked for it so much since I put it on my board. It's ridiculous how many people want it! And it's just about my fastest face!
TinafromNY
TinafromNY

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2012-07-05

http://www.facefanaticfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Beans Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:17 am

What about a baseball (using a dauber ) with flames flying off it like a fireball? It's a baseball game after all cheers 
Beans
Beans

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2011-03-09

http://www.madeupbyleona.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jonwhunt Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:53 pm

Everything turned out ok. I was hired by State Farm, they basically traded parents free face paint if they would sign up for the State Farm email news letter... or at least I think that's how it went down. It must have helped bring some emails because they have already hired me for 12 more hours =) After seeing the "Face Paint Fail" thread on here, and now that I have repeat clients, I'm letting myself relax a little.

jonwhunt

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:53 am

Glad it all worked out and you got repeat business!

I just noticed your last post and I wanted to answer one of the questions. I have two boards. One is smaller with about 18 designs. It's my "no scary stuff" board used in VBS or church events. My other boards is my "go to" board that I bring with me most times. It probably has nearly 40 designs.

You might want to look at threads on here about paint etiquette. You don't want to display other peoples work as your own. Wink I know you are just starting out. Very Happy
CottonKandyClown
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Beans Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:53 am

Denise I must say that I envy your one stroke boards! I have not been in the forum for a while and was particularly taken in by your one stroke tiger - I can do one stroke but I don't advertise it cause I just don't have a variety of designs. Are these designs available in some sort of tutorial? I could use a variety like this for corporate gigs!
Beans
Beans

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2011-03-09

http://www.madeupbyleona.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pogueskiss Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:03 am

I made a check art post, used it twice. A never doing that again.
Pogueskiss
Pogueskiss

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2012-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum