Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I got kicked out of a restraunte

+18
CottonKandyClown
HillbillyDiva1
Walela
shellig
Criss
LoriSamson
Tash
Lady Jayde
Faces by Ainslie
Becky521
Lauri Strandell
Miss Ronnie
Shelley Bellefontaine
Perry Noia
FunnyFacesCC
Tilly - Formerly Punky
Tina11
livethedream
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I got kicked out of a restraunte Empty I got kicked out of a restraunte

Post by livethedream Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:24 am

Went to a local all you can eat for a friend triplets birthday they love love being painting so I had my handbag kit with me so i proceed to paint my friends kids and mine just for fun manager comes over and tells me I need to stop as some other patrons complained as there kids wanted painting to and there regular painter who was not working was dining there that night and it was a little embarrassing
The triplets start to get upset cause that's what they wanted to be painted by Sam for there birthday so I continue saying to kids just something quick so I can pack up manager approaches saying he asked me once to stop now hes asking me to leave so we collected our things and left ended up at maccas for tea were manager approached asking were the kids got painted I told her story and she returned with ice cream cake for the kids and her business card asking me to call her to paint for there next mc happy day event lol karma I love you!
livethedream
livethedream

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2011-12-04

Back to top Go down

I got kicked out of a restraunte Empty Re: I got kicked out of a restraunte

Post by Tina11 Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:16 am

Not to bad mouth the restaurant where the incident happened but, I believe you should post the name of the place so other people on the forum might know to watch out.

Tina11

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by livethedream Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:23 am

Let's just say its in Melton Vic and it the oly ally ya can eat
livethedream
livethedream

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilly - Formerly Punky Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:39 am

Good for you getting that event, but in all fairness, I have to side with the initial manager for kicking you out. If he asked you to put your paints away because it was causing a disruption in the restaurant, you should have apologized and done as he asked on the spot, not continue to paint after the fact. Once you ignored his request, he was justified in asking you to leave the establishment.
Tilly - Formerly Punky
Tilly - Formerly Punky

Number of posts : 1186
Registration date : 2010-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by FunnyFacesCC Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:47 am

I'm glad you got a new job out of it. Don't worry about that manager, people can be such sticks in the mud! They let kids color in restaurants, right? Why can't you color too? It's not as though you were charging or trying to hand out your card to anyone, you were face painting for a private birthday party, no matter how small it may have been....
FunnyFacesCC
FunnyFacesCC

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2012-03-11

http://funnyfacesfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by livethedream Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:50 am

Exactly we're had 9 kids at our table my question is if my friend had of engaged me to paint who's responsibility is to check its ok me or booker?
livethedream
livethedream

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:01 am

if I am booked for a private party that is taking place in a public venue, I specifically ask the client to make sure that it is ok with the manager of that establishment.... if they have booked their party to be in a separate "party room" then there isn't a problem, but when you are painting or performing in an area of the restaurant where other patrons are present and the management has indicated that your activities are being disruptive, it is very unprofessional to disregard them. Now, not only was there a party being disruptive, but there is a BUSINESS that was being disruptive AND disrespectful of management.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilly - Formerly Punky Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:09 am

Trouble is though, assuming I understood your original post correctly, it was not a regular booking. Were it a private party and a booking, the manager would have then had something to tell the other patrons and could have put you in a special room where you wouldn't be disrupting the business.

Besides, there is a big difference between a kid coloring a page given to them by the restaurant and an adult doing impromptu face painting in a restaurant. Sorry, but I worked in the restaurant business through High school, and from experience, I have to side with the manager on this one. Simply put, because you were disrupting his business he asked you to stop and put your paints away, and you chose not to listen. I'd have thrown you out too.
Tilly - Formerly Punky
Tilly - Formerly Punky

Back to top Go down

Post by livethedream Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:43 am

Friend asked me along with purposed to paint the kids I chose for children to sit by me one at time and I was to do a small arm design you couldn't even see what I was doing my kit I had is tiny each color is about the size of a 5 cent peice and only 6 colors the confrontation arose after the kids went into play zone and another kid chucked a paddy cause our kiddys were painted I feel both myself and manager could have handled better but find the end result very amusing
livethedream
livethedream

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelley Bellefontaine Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:50 am

Unfortunately you may have ruined a chance to network with another painter. Networking with one another is such an important part of our business, and people do not want to work with others they see as "stepping on toes" and perhaps behaving less than professional .
Hopefully , like everything else we do, it was a learning experience for you Very Happy
Shelley Bellefontaine
Shelley Bellefontaine

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-05-05

http://www.you-name-it.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:58 am

If you wanted to make amends with the restaurant (and therefore, with the other face painter) all you have to do is go back there and offer a humble apology and admit that you really didn't see it from their point of view...

In fact, if it were me, I would make it a point to do that. I hate to upset other people, no matter what the issue is.
Miss Ronnie
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Tina11 Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:53 pm

This is such a touchy situation but I believe the Manager could have handled it better by notifying the complaining table that it is a private party. The complaining table might need a little nudge to control their own children and maybe mind their own business!

Tina11

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauri Strandell Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:19 pm

As always, Perry is right on!

Punky!!!! Okay, Tilly now. I'll remember from now on Smile

And you guys know I own a restaurant, right? I paint on kids all the time. I call them my victims, because I get to try out new designs on them. HOWEVER, time and place people. Ask first! It's not that hard to be responsible. Rolling Eyes

Lauri Strandell

Number of posts : 645
Registration date : 2010-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Lauri... that's funny that you call them victims because I do the same thing. I don't do it to every child in line 'cause it would get old real quick... but when one kid leaves I'll call out "Next victim!....er, ahem, customer!" It usually goes over the kids heads, but it gives the parents in line a chuckle. Very Happy
Miss Ronnie
Miss Ronnie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauri Strandell Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:16 pm

hehehe, victims

Lauri Strandell

Number of posts : 645
Registration date : 2010-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilly - Formerly Punky Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:50 pm

livethedream wrote:Friend asked me along with purposed to paint the kids I chose for children to sit by me one at time and I was to do a small arm design you couldn't even see what I was doing my kit I had is tiny each color is about the size of a 5 cent peice and only 6 colors

Okay... 1.)Doesn't matter what kind of kit you had with you. 2.) Obviously people could see, because you got caught... otherwise the manager wouldn't have been an issue. 3.) And this goes back to elementary school, (I know, I work in the local school system) When an authority asks you to stop doing a particular behavior, you stop. Life has rules for a reason. I agree with the others that this was very unprofessional and very disrespectful towards the business. That right there is a burned bridge. Business owners and managers DO talk to each other, hopefully this hasn't caused any other bridges to be burned as well.
Tilly - Formerly Punky
Tilly - Formerly Punky

Back to top Go down

Post by Becky521 Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:07 pm

Sorry you went through that. I have mixed feelings about it. I will say, if I was your friend's mom, I would have been pretty t'ed off at the manager. Did you KNOW the restaurant had a regular painter? If so, you probably stepped on some toes, but really, it sounds like the "regular" painter was the one who was upset, not the other kids in the restaurant. Maybe if you had introduced yourself and explained to the painter that you weren't trying to invade her turf, just trying to make your friend's kids happy by painting them on their birthday she wouldn't have felt the need to be such a kill-joy and the manager wouldn't have felt like he was put in the difficult position of asking you to stop or leave. Sigh. It's a shame people have to be so territorial and that some parents can't handle it when thir kids are disappointed because other kids have something they can't have. What if you had given a wrapped gift to the kids and the kids around started complaining that they didn't get gifts at the restaurant too? Would the manager have asked the triplets to stop opening their presents or leave? I think the manager (and regular painter) handled it poorly. I wouldn't have been able to leave a half-completed design either and would have been kicked to the curb right with you! Grats at your new painting job at the 2nd restaurant though!
Becky521
Becky521

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2012-03-07

Http://fantasticfacesbybecky.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Faces by Ainslie Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:57 pm

I'm in two minds too, but when you are told to stop, you stop. It is not your business (as in establishment) to make that decision, and even though it was you friends and family it was disruptive to others eating there.

If I was the manager I would have done the same thing- it is really just a respect thing.
Faces by Ainslie
Faces by Ainslie

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2011-07-06

http://www.FacesByAinslie.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by livethedream Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:33 am

Whilst I don't feel my activtys were disruptive Ido understand how manger may have felt put upon based on the other painters upset

I was not aware that restraunte had a painter but even so she was not there in a painting capacity she was dining with her family and friends.

Despite all this based on the suggestions here I am going to contact resturante and apologies for my conduct but when you do look at it through another's eyes it don't look good.
livethedream
livethedream

Back to top Go down

Post by Faces by Ainslie Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:26 am

Good on you Livethedream xxx
Faces by Ainslie
Faces by Ainslie

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2011-07-06

http://www.FacesByAinslie.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by Becky521 Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:01 am

I think your decision to contact them is extremely professional and tasteful. I till get the impression the other painter felt threatened and over-reacted since you were not soliciting your business, just celebrating a milestone.

:-)
Becky521
Becky521

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2012-03-07

Http://fantasticfacesbybecky.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:43 am

If it were me, I would not do it via telephone. The best way to make amends and maybe even still have the possibility of keeping the business connection lines open is to meet with the manager in person - and not during the breakfast/lunch/dinner rush.
Miss Ronnie
Miss Ronnie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:53 am

I agree, a professional, face-to-face apology is in order, and good on you for understanding that!

Regardless of the true reason for the upset (be it founded in the other painter's insecurity or overly entitled children who've never heard of the word "NO"), you were asked to stop and regardless of what stage you were at in the painting (from what you posted, this wasn't the issue, you wanted to give the remaining children a little something as well) the kit should've been put away promptly and an apology given. I don't think the manager was out of line in asking you to stop nor asking you to leave in light of your refusal to do so. His business banks on return customers and word-of-mouth is a business killer...it was his responsibility to make the majority happy and asking you to stop would've done just that. Perhaps the sounds of your friends children crying would've caused a chain reaction that would've had the manager changing his mind (more upset customers), but you had no grounds by which to base your refusal to comply to his request.

I hope you can mend the bridge and move forward a little wiser after this hard knocks lesson. Good Luck!
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:31 am

Sorry - are you in Australia - is this Victoria in OZ?

I disagree with alot of comments here. I spent over 15yrs working in Hospitality and this whole - you should have done what you are told is bullsh*t - this isn't kindergarten - you are a customer and just as important as the people complaining. I paint my kid and my sisters kids EVERYWHERE we go - sometimes in the carparkes or funparks like Seaworld - and i know there is face painting in there - and I know the face painter.
If my niece and nephew want a face paint - they are getting one.
I would of said it is their birthday and THIS is their present which is what they asked for - so please go explain this to your other guests and painter. I will finish these kids and pack it away as asked.
The manager was unreasonable - I would of gone to the bathroom and finished them if I thought he was going to be such a d*ck about it.
Sorry everyone who disagrees with me - but I have been a manager of a restaurant and this crap doesn't fly with me. I would tell EVERYONE who they are - why should you apologize? why would you ever want to work with people who would kick KIDS out of a restaurant on their birthday?
Seriously disappointing peeps. Stand up for your rights.
This is not a communist society - it is not - oh if EVERYONE can't have it you can't have it - what a silly mentality.
The only thing I would learn from this is Don't Go Back There.
Next we will be told what to wear - how to talk - not to sing - lol whatever their loss is Mcdonalds gain - onwards and upwards.
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by LoriSamson Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:44 am

This is all interesting and the different opinions. My thought is that it couldn't have been disruptive to customers because they have face painting there already (even though you didn't know it) and if it doesn't disrupt customers for the other painter, then why would it disrupt customers because your painting? Geez... I would have stopped painting when asked but I certainly would have (nicely) questioned the manager as to why he felt he had the right to ask me to leave. If your hired band plays Happy Birthday for customers, are you going to kick someone out if they sing Happy Birthday to someone at their table? I don't know but I think the restaurant was horribly rude to you as a Paying Customer. I can remember drawing on napkins playing Pictionary when my kids were young. If they had an artist there could I have been kicked out for offending the artist? I owned a Bed and Breakfast and Tea room in Texas and I would NEVER treat a customer like that. You weren't loud, offensive, cursing, drunk, lewd or removing clothing.... wow... the nerve of the manager. My jaw is on the floor at the thought of management treating a customer like that.

I still would have stopped when asked and then stepped away to talk to the manager alone and questioned the request.
LoriSamson
LoriSamson

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2012-01-04

http://www.faceartcreations.vpweb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next