Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need to learn

+6
Perry Noia
Metina
aprilmoonflower
colormyworld
Lady Jayde
CABBYJ
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Need to learn Empty Need to learn

Post by CABBYJ Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:52 pm

Hello, I'm pretty new to facepainting. And of course I've fallen in love. Very Happy I really have a ways to go in order to be as good as I'd like to be. What books would you recommend I purchase in order to increase my skill level? I'm so confused and on a pretty tight budget but I really see this as an oppourtunity to express my artistic skills and a way to earn money so I can get out of this corporate Twisted Evil drab!
CABBYJ
CABBYJ

Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2009-07-29

http://www.evolutionz.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Need to learn Empty Re: Need to learn

Post by Guest Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:34 pm

HI there! Well... I MAY be biased, but "Your Face or Mine" from Snazaroo is a very excellent beginners book. It is available from the forum shop (click on the link at the top). Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:32 pm

Well, I'm not biased...okay, I am a little... Get the book! It was the first one I bought and I look at it nightly. If you want to get a running start, that would be the perfect starting block.
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by colormyworld Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:35 pm

How many step by steps are in the book, Shannon (or anyone who has it)...and what else is in it? Are sample release forms, contracts, etc, in it or more painting techniques?
colormyworld
colormyworld

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2009-06-23

http://www.sporktacularcreations.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:02 pm

It is "A Step-by-Step Guide to Basic Face Painting Techniques" I've got more info about it on my website here http://www.shannonfennell.com/mybook.html

Metina sells it in the Forum Shop too!

The business forms and templates are on my CDs... and SOON, we will have an e-book on "The Business of Face Painting" (I'm working on the final draft right now - inserting photos, etc.) to be followed by "The Art of Face Painting"...

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilmoonflower Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:02 pm

Can you try to get books from your library? That way you'll know which ones are worth buying.

I say that because I just got Snazaroo Zoo with a kit and think it's super disappointing! I also got some other books that are more like thin tutorials. Butterflies, fairy princesses and cats..those are NICE! Silly farm has them as amazon,etc...

I also ordered Shannons book and some others! Can't wait until they arrive!
aprilmoonflower
aprilmoonflower

Number of posts : 713
Registration date : 2009-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:33 pm

I checked out all 18 of the books that my library has and while they're helpful, the skill level is kind of down there. It actually helps to get them from the library or to at least peruse the titles that the library has so that you don't waste your money on books that feature face painting that is skill levels below your current one.

So far I have:
Shannon's book
Wolfe Bros. (Dont' remember the name...I think it's the first one)
Illusion and Friends (on order from Silly Farm)

I want:
Mark Reid's CDs
A couple of Jenny's books
The E-book that some famous face painter is coming out with...
The face painting book of Cats, Butterflies, Masks, Fairy Princesses, & Eye Designs (5 books, but wouldn't mind a compilation)
Fantasy Faces (M. Reid)
Illusions Step-by-Step
Faces of Fantasy (Wolfe Bros.)
And just about everything else!
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:24 pm

I have a collection...

The book that got me started face painting was "Making Faces" by Sian Ellis-Thomas and it also introduced me to FACE as she was a member. That book was/is excellent for a beginner.

Then the Grimas book "Make-up Voor Professional en Hobby" which I bought at a theatrical make-up store while in make-up school was really excellent showing more involved faces like the cow and giraffe! As well as make-up techniques.

I've since acquired many more...

Creative Face Painting and Funky Faces by Carmel Bloxsom and Rene Reiche are amazingly awesome for inspiration, but generally intermediate to advanced designs. Funky Faces is actually only available in German.

Wolfe Bros Step-by-Step Cheat Books, Volume 1, 2 & 3 - great for inspiration but no text or explanation to accompany the photos - I have to say they are for intermediate to advanced simply because there is no explanation of HOW they do the steps.

I pick up face painting books out of sale bins when I see them - just for curiosity. I like to take them to workshops so people can have a look at them. So I have quite a few that I would NOT recommend... just interesting in an historic context to see what was considered "good" less than 20 years ago!!

I've got a copy of Illusion and Friends (from a friend who is in it!) and a copy of the Wolfe Bros Faces of Fantasy (also from a friend).

I have every edition of the now out-of-print magazines "Face And Body Painting International Magazine" and "Face Painting and Body Art Magazine", I have/get FACE to FACE which is the magazine of FACE (which non-members can subscribe to as well!) and Illusion.

American Face Painter is a relatively new periodical - all step photos, no text that is available for $6 a copy. The work is very nice from current artists - and good for ideas.

I have my book (many copies!! Laughing ) and a copy of Facing the Sea (I'll be getting all the Snaz books to have the "set"!)

I've had, and passed on to others, The Face Painting Book of Cats, Butterflies and Princesses.

I had a copy of Snazaroo Zoo that came with my first Snazaroo kit years ago... took me years of trying to finally give it away to someone!! Laughing You'll be glad to know that my book is replacing it in the Snazaroo kits!!! cheers

I've got a copy of Transformations by Christopher Agostino... it is a really interesting book but it IS NOT a how to book. Lots of people are disappointed when buying it as they are expecting step designs etc. but it is more of a text book about the history of face and body art, and while there are LOTS of great photos, his style is very unique and different. Great for inspiration though.

I did reviews of some books etc. If you go to my resources page in the link in my signature, and then click on the More Resources link, the reviews are posted if you want to read them.

I am not a video or dvd person... I'm not interested in that. I don't even watch the YouTube postings that are common now. I like looking at books and mags, closing them, then drawing my own interpretation to paint at a later date.

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:46 pm

Looks like this is topic is well covered and I am soooo tired. Thanks to all you wonderful posters. You make all my efforts here such a joy!
Metina
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:06 pm

I have the Usborne book, it's ok, but VERY beginner... you'll grow out of it really fast.

I recently got Marcela Murad's Eye Designs book and Fairy Princesses book... both are very good, but they are not full faces, they are small designs. However, when doing pay per face, small designs are fast and you may do more volume of business with the parents who cheap out.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:34 pm

I was wondering about Marcela's book... thanks Perry!

Get some rest Metina! We'll hold the fort.
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:05 am

So... Anyone want to see the Table of Contents for my e-book "The Business of Face Painting"....?? It is still a work in progress, but the contents (textwise) is complete....

Back to top Go down

Post by colormyworld Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:32 am

Yes that would be very cool! ANd thanks for the book reccos too, you always have awesomely helpful advice.

If you had to recommend ONE thing...a book, designs/templates I, or D/t II which would it be?

Sorry for constantly nagging...I'm to the point where I am spending money that should be going toward paying bills on face painting stuff and counting pennies so I like to be reassured and make the "right" decisions lol! It can get annoying though.
colormyworld
colormyworld

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:42 am

Well... this is the Table of Contents of "The Business of Face Painting"... currently sitting at 122 pages... and that's without anything about HOW to actually face paint! I've been bust the last two days working on photos to insert - of examples, products, tools, working photos of me, random designs... Any feedback on this? I am open to anything.

"The Art of Face Painting" which is the companion book is all about painting, techniques, kit and equipment, actually working at gigs, creativity and design, tips and tricks, step-by-steps designs and hundreds of photos.

Introduction

Chapter One: Starting Out

Basic Business Operations

Tools of the Trade

Learn How to Paint

Getting Work

Summary

Chapter Two: Money Matters

Your Investment

Setting Your Rates

Hourly versus Pay-Per-Face

Other Options for Payment

Rate Sheet/Pricing Guide

Travel Expenses

Dealings with Requests for Donations

Method of Payment

Banking

Getting an Accountant and Business Advice

Taxes

Document Templates

Sample Rate Sheet

Sample Letter of Agreement

Sample Service Agreement

Chapter Three: The Business Plan

Document Templates:

Business Plan

Chapter Four: Marketing Your Face Painting Services

What is Marketing?

Your Marketing Plan

Creating a Brand or Corporate Image

Business Cards

What is Your Target Market?

Soliciting Work

Direct Mail Marketing on a Small Scale

Using Postcards for Marketing

Generating Publicity

The Internet

Advertising

Printed Material

Signage

Promotional Items

Keeping Your Name Out There

Document Templates:

Your Marketing Plan Worksheet

Introductory Letter for Face Painting

Restaurant Letter

New Year Letter

Festival Email Solicitation

Press Release

Sample Coupon

Sample Back of Flyer Coupon

Sample Prize or Gift Certificate

Chapter Five: Daily Business Operations

Telephone

Booking Records

Scheduling

Contracts

Deposits and Cancellation Policies

Confirmation

Billing and Invoicing

Bookkeeping

Arrival and Departure Etiquette

Client Follow-Up

Workflow

Office Space

Your Reputation

Competition

Professional Courtesy and Networking

Staff

Agents

Getting Going

Document Templates:

Inquiry/Booking Form

Invoice Form

Job Quote Letter

Customer Satisfaction Questionnaire

Chapter Six: Health and Safety

Insurance

Incident Reports

Risk Assessments

Photographic and Model Releases and Permission

Disclaimers

Personal Safety

Taking Breaks

Physical Set-Up

Dealing with Illness

Maintaining Your Equipment

Document Templates:

Incident Report Form

Risk Assessment Form

Model/Photography Release Form

Chapter Seven: Kit and Equipment

Basic Starter Kit

Chapter Eight: Resources for Face Painters

Business Information

Insurance

Associations and Organizations

Conventions, Conferences, Festivals and Training Opportunities

Online Directories and Listing Services

Networking Online

Face Paint Brands

Tools and Equipment

Signs and Printing

Shop Around

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:44 am

colormyworld wrote:If you had to recommend ONE thing...a book, designs/templates I, or D/t II which would it be?

What are you most in need of - face painting skills or how to run the business? Book if it is developing your skills. Either CD (or upcoming e-book) for the business side.

Back to top Go down

Post by colormyworld Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:58 am

Oh they all look yummy! My skills definitely need a lot of work though. The ebook looks great! When is the art one being released? Will the e-book have printable pages and is it downloadable to ipod?? I'm more the type that like to hold the book in my hand. I can't concentrate on a book on the computer because I end up putzing around on facebook or the forum instead lol.

I've reserved a few at the library, but it seems there isn't really a whole lot there of face painting. Surprising, since it's NYC. Embarassed
colormyworld
colormyworld

Back to top Go down

Post by glendaoneill Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:45 pm

I'm awaiting the Art of face painting! cheers
I have Shannon's CDs and they are great!

Glenda
glendaoneill
glendaoneill

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2009-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:58 pm

The one thing I can say about her book... it will be a TRUE comprehensive guide and not just a compilation of free tidbits that are already available on the net! Rolling Eyes I can't wait!
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:13 pm

I need a little feedback/opinion... when we started this project we intended it to be one book. But once I started writing we realized that it was going to be HUGE... I'm very verbose Rolling Eyes and there are so many things that you really need to consider as a business person!

So we split it into two books "The Business of Face Painting" and "The Art of Face Painting"... one on the business part, one on the actual painting part (obviously).

I'm in the final stage of The Business. Most of the draft of The Art is done (text) and I am working on painting and photos and masses of technical step-by-steps etc. to include in that book.

What I want to get a feel for is:

If you bought an e-book called "The Business of Face Painting" would you expect it to contain a lot of how to or step-by-step designs? Or... would you expect that it would be about the business side of things?

We intend to be perfectly clear that this is a business manual... not a how to, but....

There are photos of examples of marketing materials, set-ups, products, kit, and lots of photos of me working and of lots of my work, but at this point of the draft I haven't added in any real "instructional" painting stuff - since that is being covered in the second book.

Opinions? PLEASE?

Back to top Go down

Post by CABBYJ Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:20 pm

All I can say is that you guys are awesome. I'm going to start out with Shannon's book. Shannon - your site is awesome and an excellent reference. Again you guys are awesome and THANK YOU!!!!
CABBYJ
CABBYJ

Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2009-07-29

http://www.evolutionz.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilmoonflower Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:35 pm

Shannon, I think both books sound great! The description sounds clear too.
aprilmoonflower
aprilmoonflower

Number of posts : 713
Registration date : 2009-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:03 am

In all honesty Shannon, the business of facepaiinting might actually be misleading simply because of the loose way that the word "business" is interpreted. I don't know how stuck in stone your title is, but if there's a way to definitively relay to the potential reader that this book is about face painting as a business. I don't know about an eloquent way of portraying that.

I just think that someone who didn't have the chance to speak to you on a forum might interpret "business" loosely and as all encompassing and buy it thinking that it was one-stop-shopping. Of course you could incorporate the description into the title: The Business of Face Painting: A Comprehisive Guide to Turning your Art into a Career. I think it would be a non issue if they were both coming out at the same time...only an ninny would misinterpret it then.

Something like that. Well, hat's my 2 cents.
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Back to top Go down

Post by colormyworld Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:14 am

I was thinking the same thing. I understood from the title pretty much what it is, but mainly because you told us what it would be so I already knew, lol. However, the title COULD be interpreted in many ways, leading some people who will click and buy without thinking about it to think there may be some art tips as well...since the art IS a huge part of the business! I would either do what Jayde suggested, or just be explicit in the description of your book anywhere it is listed. Either way I think it will be an amazing book and nobody should be disappointed...that is a lot of VERY important info going in there!
colormyworld
colormyworld

Back to top Go down

Post by cassandra Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:15 am

IMHO the title would immediately tip me off that it wasn't about the painting aspect.
cassandra
cassandra

Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2009-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by colormyworld Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:30 am

That's true...for those who think about it. I'm just saying, there are those out there who will see the words Face Painting and buy, and there is ALWAYS the type of person that will complain as if it were your fault and not their own for misinterpreting. People SHOULD get the idea, but some may not, especially non-pros who want to do some volunteer work or something, then will go straight to amazon and post a negative review whining that it wasn't what they expected. I do promotions, and I've done customer service in the past...some people will find anything to whine about, even if they are getting a truly great deal or even something for free.
colormyworld
colormyworld

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next