Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Setting up included in the cost?

+5
Peppermint_Mill
tassieloulou
MelodyFPL
Faces by Ainslie
Tammie
9 posters

Go down

Setting up included in the cost? Empty Setting up included in the cost?

Post by Tammie Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:43 pm

Hi everyone, I have been wondering about including the time it takes to set up in the cost of a gig? ? Currently I arrive about 20 mins or so before a gig starts to set up but haven't been charging for this. Do you incorporate this into the costing or consider it part of the job? Question
Tammie
Tammie

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Setting up included in the cost? Empty Re: Setting up included in the cost?

Post by Faces by Ainslie Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:06 am

I say part of the job (not paid). Even in a "day job" I would get there earlier and get myself organised, then start my day. I think others do charge though... but I use that time to gather my thoughts, chat to the parents/kids and basically do a little bit of networking, pat the dog, have a drink of water and take a deep breathe and then start on fire!

x
Faces by Ainslie
Faces by Ainslie

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2011-07-06

http://www.FacesByAinslie.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by MelodyFPL Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:26 am

What kind of gig? Private gigs?

I only charge for outdoor set up if I have to bring a shelter. Then a setup fee applies.

And please please please don't take this as rude, but 20 minutes seems like a long time to set up unless you're popping up a tent. Even when I toted a table, chairs, table cloth, and menu board, it took me 10 minutes, tops. Would you mind telling us what is involved in your setup? Maybe we can help you think of ways to consolidate your setup and knock some time off it. That might solve the problem altogether.
Just a thought Smile
MelodyFPL
MelodyFPL

Number of posts : 943
Registration date : 2011-07-02

http://www.nyfacepaintlady.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Faces by Ainslie Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:30 am

True- I was referring to a party gig...
Faces by Ainslie
Faces by Ainslie

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2011-07-06

http://www.FacesByAinslie.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by Tammie Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:15 am

No, (no offence taken!!) not spending all that time setting up! 10 mins is all it takes too! Just like to do what ainslie does, smell the roses so to speak. Wasn't even considering charging for that. I only meant the time it actually takes to set up. sorry wasn't very specific. Of course setting up a gazeebo takes longer again. Just wondering if others factored that in costing was all. Thanks!!
Tammie
Tammie

Back to top Go down

Post by tassieloulou Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:18 am

I have a great new set up that takes me three and a half minutes, I'll take some pics and post. So much easier and quicker, from a kit like a Fat-Max, but better (IMHO) and cheaper. I only purchased this month, so still finishing some bling but exciting.
tassieloulou
tassieloulou

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-10-04

http://www.colourmedizzy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tammie Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:56 am

Oh that sounds great! Love to see that Lou lou. I carry a table, two chairs, and a sandwich board with pictures on it plus my 'fat max' I bought from Aldi to every gig. Sometimes a full length mirror. I find a full length mirror helps to get the kids off the chair if I have a long line rather than show them in a hand mirror. Plus they love to preen and come back and look at themselves. Just takes a few minutes to unload the car but its a pain if I have to carry all this any distance. Takes a couple of trips to the car. Any suggestions?
Tammie
Tammie

Back to top Go down

Post by Peppermint_Mill Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:06 am

I don't ever charge for setting up and breaking down time. I even say that on my website so people know when they hire me, I spend all my time "on the clock" doing nothing but painting. Smile
Peppermint_Mill
Peppermint_Mill

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2011-12-27

http://www.peppermintmill.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Daizy Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:22 am

My set up time is included in my cost. If I break down my costs myself I have a set up fee $20.00 and then my hourly rate although I state it as just one price. I then can offer subsequent hours at a cheaper rate.
Daizy
Daizy

Number of posts : 860
Registration date : 2010-09-02

http://www.daizydesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:59 am

the length of time that it takes you to prepare is your decision and should be included in the price you charge, not tacked on besides.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:37 am

Set up and clean up are not part of my party charge. With my new Plano case, it takes me less than 5 minutes to set up. I open two chairs, open the top, set up my bruhes, pull a drawer, put out my paint pallet, pour the water...open a book, and I can start my first kid. It is the BEST kit ever....Suzie Sparkle's ROCKS!
a face painting mom
a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eireannah Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:45 am

I have to agree, I don't charge set up either that is just part of getting ready for a party.
eireannah
eireannah

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2011-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:28 pm

I arrive 30 minutes early to set-up... even for birthdays. My time, no extra fees, and my contract says that I arrive early.

This involves getting to the space they've assigned, moving or getting additional furniture, unpacking, possible toilet break (important if my mom is with me!) Then I chat with the kids, give them the book to look through, or they are looking at the display... if a large gig I may have a few trips to the car (one to wheel mom in, one to carry kit, and one to pack in the display unit).

I've always done this and see no reason to stop.

Pack-up takes 15-20 minutes - as I CLEAN my palettes, brushes, etc. as I pack up so everything except my used sponges are ready for the next gig.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down