Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spiderman --- uhhh!!

+79
amylady222
daphne78
MoMoMac
Kumi's Magical Brush
seekorka
Mickie
PerfectlyPaintedFaces
Misha
1HappyNut
Who B What E
Astrid
acarreon
jadedebaby
vivi_o7
Face Painting by Jessica
barbb919
Phantasia
artyfacesbyluz
billiebcc
Britty
l!zzie
SuzySparkles
Denise Cold
SmileyBee Faces
jazziesfaces
facesbybelle
erica21
creativefunfaces
Mug Shots
Tash
Kat's FacesForFun
Miss Ronnie
Katurah
Komachy
cattsy
Melesia Palu
Coral3
bee
Daizy
bdowns
Jobena1
Kitty's Make-up Studio
pjhamel
faceandbodyfx
a face painting mom
vegas mom
Jilly
Ansiktsmålning
contrachapado
Caswell Designs FP
Affordable Face Magic
Tilly - Formerly Punky
eireannah
FacialExpressionist
freedspirit
Mika's Creations2
Geekophile
JBM
Sweet Loretta
KaraMundy
mrs_jaxon16
summers4seasons
lollyjean
Pilareta
elantaura
Fabtastic
rthling
tamarielpaints
Psalmbook
MonsterKat
Perry Noia
Stacia
Fun2Play
CottonKandyClown
Gamezgirl
helena
martha
wmeventservices
Fantapants
83 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Spiderman --- uhhh!! Empty Spiderman --- uhhh!!

Post by Fantapants Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:43 pm

Hi everyone!

I had a gig yesterday along side 3 extremely talented painters, it was great seeing their amazing work!

Apart from feeling very out of my league painting next to them, my first child wanted spiderman. I suck at spidey!

My hand was shaking and I just couldn't get into it!

Then of course, the next 25 boys I did wanted spidey too! I wanted to vomit. HAHAH !

Anyway.... by the 10 billionth spiderman I felt like I had improved !!! So, it's true. Practise makes perfect! I just feel bad for all the 'practise' victims out there....

What are your secrets? I just find doing the eyes white with a brush takes forever, but a sponge makes a mess (ruins the shape) so I ended up just outlining the eyes white and leaving them. Then the red i went from colouring it in with a #4 (what on earth was I thinking?) to using a filbert to colour it in. Is that how you do it?

Hope you all had a great weekend x

Fantapants
Fantapants

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Spiderman --- uhhh!! Empty Re: Spiderman --- uhhh!!

Post by wmeventservices Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:50 pm

Yay for improvement! I'm glad you feel more confident with Spidy now. Not sure if you were wanting to be able to fill the eyes in completely or not, but here's how I do it. I can't sponge or brush them either.

I do spiderman eyes with a white dauber. You do some circular motions over the eyes to get a nice coverage and then flick up to create the point. It's never perfect, but I just define the the shape a little with the red.

Spiderman --- uhhh!! L_eac010
wmeventservices
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by martha Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:56 pm

I'm pretty new myself but I have much better speed if I use a dauber sponge with white around the eyes then clean up the outline with a wipe. Do the rest of the face red with a sponge using just the edge around the white. #6 round for line work. Don't know why I got into the dauber thing but for me it works. Hope this helps.
martha
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Fantapants Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:04 pm

Thanks ladies ! That spidey looks cool!

I haven't tried the dauber. Must give it a go. Thank god for wipes too !!

I think the thing that really gets me is it's not a fast design (for me anyway) so the stress of the line makes me want to go faster but if I do it's so easy to stuff it up and then if i stuff it up I get more stressed and then I try to fix it , then I take longer, then i get stressed about taking ages and then the whole process repeats LOL !!

Fantapants
Fantapants

Back to top Go down

Post by helena Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:35 pm

I usually use snazaroo for the bases, unless I use starblends.

I've just started using starblends for spiderman and it works really well:

Spiderman --- uhhh!! Sam_0118

Sometimes I colour in the eyes, sometimes not - depends on the child and how much time I have.
helena
helena

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2011-04-13

http://fancythatfacepainting.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamezgirl Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:55 pm

I use Silver for the eyes, I personally find the white way too harsh...just a personal preferance though. And I use a sponge for the eyes, make a general shape, then shape it more when sponging on the red if I need to, the black outline cleans it all up in the end. Spidey is now one of my faces I use on my fast faces board...it can be done quickly, promise! Be patient!!

Gamezgirl
Gamezgirl

Number of posts : 473
Registration date : 2009-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:14 pm

I use starblends white and red.
Spiderman --- uhhh!! IMG_9523
CottonKandyClown
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Fun2Play Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:55 pm

Spiderman --- uhhh!! 20110616

While it's not perfect, and not an original design, this was my very first full face painting & spiderman: I have pretty much stuck with it. Of course I have a quicker / smaller version that is more like a mask and for squinty boys, does not have any white in the eyes - except for the highlights.

Ok, so I use a large filbert for the eyes. I outline with the edge of the brush, then fill in. I sponge the red, then my linework is done with a #2 or #4 lowe cornell. This pic may have been a #6 round of some other brand. I didn't start with the best brushes, but I soon discovered the quality of my brushes makes a HUGE difference to the quality of my line work.

I leave the mouth unpainted. To me it looks better, and drinking/eating won't mess up the paintwork.

The other thing I discovered was that a diamond in the middle of the eyes helps to anchor the lines. From there I just follow the curves of the face, IYKWIM.

Now as I said, not an original design and I'm afraid I don't know who I borrowed this one from... but I love it and thanks!

Last edited by Fun2Play on Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fun2Play
Fun2Play

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2011-06-04

http://www.fun2play.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by Stacia Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:12 pm

I use a cut up car wash sponge that's more of an inch by inch squarish shape on one end for the white part and wiggle it around till I get the shape I need, then use the red to finish out the shape. The black lines end up hiding the overlapped parts.
Here's mine, I HATE doing full face spidey, so even though it makes me a couple of dollars less I try to stick with my half face spidey, and I don't know if it's just me, but I find that the younger boys (and I do SO many spidey's on 3 year old boys!) don't do well with paint on their mouths and they end up wiping it everywhere where as girls can handle it with lipstick...like they're genetically engineered to know how to wear lipstick and not smear it all over their face. There are always exceptions of course.
Here's one of my Spidey faces...not the best, but one of the only pics I have of it...
Spiderman --- uhhh!! 313768_281688755186094_253166711371632_950564_1223475950_n
Stacia
Stacia

Number of posts : 750
Registration date : 2010-07-13

https://www.facebook.com/BoiseFacePainting

Back to top Go down

Post by Fantapants Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:48 pm

All your tips and hints are so so appreciated !

Might have to check out the starblends too!

I only do the mask spidey because of the food / mouth potential mess issue aswell Smile Never had a kid complain Smile

THANKS so much for your support ! Off to get my manequin head out to have another practise. I am determined to get as good as the ladies yesterday!

Fantapants
Fantapants

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:59 am

before you put paint on anything, get yourself a few different pictures of Spider-Man and take a good long look at the shape of his eyes. They are NOT teardrops in ANY artist's version of him (there are different artists that have done him). They are always flat on top, they are sometimes triangular and they point OUT NOT UP.

This is my current version of Spider-Man, using the largest, triangular eyes because it means painting less webs so there's less room for error with wiggly kids and it is easier to keep the eyes from going curly on the ends.

Spiderman --- uhhh!! Spiderman

I use sponges for the white and red. By making your black around the eyes as thick as possible, you can cover over any fuzzy sponging stuff between areas. If you get your sponging down on this one, you can pump out these faces in 3 minutes.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by MonsterKat Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:50 pm

Oh I'm loving all the tips...I suck at spidey too!! I DREAD it, and of course as soon as you have one boy w/spidey...you're bound to have a line-up full of 'em! lol
MonsterKat
MonsterKat

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2011-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:27 pm

I really don't like doing the spidey dude, but I have an ok one. I paint mine as a mask(since anything around the mouth turns to mush in 10 minutes:-)

Spiderman --- uhhh!! Spidy012
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by tamarielpaints Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:28 pm

Another mask vote here! I find that with a mask the birthday cake/heat doesn't destroy the design in 15 seconds flat! Here are some of mine:

Spiderman --- uhhh!! Img_2714

Spiderman --- uhhh!! Croppe12
tamarielpaints
tamarielpaints

Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2010-12-07

http://www.tamarielpaints.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:29 pm

I always do a mask, too. Mostly because it is faster.
rthling
rthling

Number of posts : 1830
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabtastic Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:48 am

I agree with Perry, take a look at some Spiderman pictures before you start. I thought I knew the right shape around the eyes but once I started really looking at them, I realized that the image in my head was not the most common/up to date Spiderman shape. The Spiderman from the animated series that came out in the late 60s (which is what I grew up watching), does have eyes that are pretty much teardrop shaped, and the black outline was thicker. Google Spiderman 67 and you'll see what I mean. That's not the one the kids want nowadays.

So this is the one I did for my board way back when, it was the first Spidey I ever did and it's the one I still do now although I do it better now and I leave out the white highlights if I'm rushed for time.
[img]Spiderman --- uhhh!! Spider10[/img]

I do usually use a sponge, especially for the eyes. Sometimes I will use a flat brush for the red and I kind of like that because I get nice clean lines down the sides where I follow the laugh lines down to the jawline. But I will often fill in with a sponge after I've outlined because I get smoother coverage.
Fabtastic
Fabtastic

Number of posts : 639
Registration date : 2010-07-10

http://www.fabtastic.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by elantaura Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:15 am

spider man eyes I flat brush no 12 in a teardrop. spiderman red I sponge. This is on my son who is the worst kid to paint. so my line work is poor. he also has a wonky head his bones fused too early, so it makes painting a series of lines ie spiderman a challenge
Spiderman --- uhhh!! Facepaintingdetailedspiderman-1
Now I have two spidermans on my board with and without highlights. I charge more for highlights. basically the same picture without white.
elantaura
elantaura

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://suejuddfacepaintingandbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilareta Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:30 am

Yes, my vote goes to masks too. I think they're faster and I love how they look. I use a sponge for the eyes, then I outline with a brush and I sponge with Snaz red and outline with black. (Btw love this pic):

Spiderman --- uhhh!! 30398510
Pilareta
Pilareta

Number of posts : 1336
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Fantapants Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:41 pm

Thanks so much for all your comments and suggestions ! You all rock !
Fantapants
Fantapants

Back to top Go down

Post by lollyjean Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:18 am

Great thread! I dread Spiderman & it's all the boys seem to want! thanks for all the great tips.
lollyjean
lollyjean

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2011-09-22

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=625417272

Back to top Go down

Post by summers4seasons Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:15 am

This is my version of the holiday spidey from the silly farm video corner. I found this video to be very helpful for me. But I am going to google more images and study those eyes! WinkSpiderman --- uhhh!! 9b0c38d1
summers4seasons
summers4seasons

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2011-07-30

Back to top Go down

Post by summers4seasons Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:23 am

Hmm, I bet those sharp triangles are easier and faster to paint. Sweet!
summers4seasons
summers4seasons

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2011-07-30

Back to top Go down

Post by mrs_jaxon16 Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:33 pm

Hello All,

I'm new to FP as well and today was my first real gig and it went over well. I was super anxious and nervous about my speed, the feed back, and overall quality of work. Needless to say, I did a lot of spidermen and none of them looked the same...I actually had to look at the photo a couple of times. Your tips and pointers are well received and appreciated.
mrs_jaxon16
mrs_jaxon16

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-11-18

http://letsfaceitatlanta.vpweb.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by KaraMundy Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:11 pm

I agree with Stacia! I much rather do just the one side. Faster, less to paint, and gets that little boy outta there. He will barely smudge it and definitely won't mess it up eating. Here's my little boy Spidey
Spiderman --- uhhh!! 20802610
But I always have the older boys! I loooove to paint them. They always make me laugh.
Spiderman --- uhhh!! Tumblr51

My tips are to paint only one side or half masks on younger boys. It will make you feel better. The eyes should definitely point a little outward. For the full masks, I always add silver! Also, I always make sure there are 4 vertical lines sprouting from the middle on top and bottom. For the webs I make the horizontal lines making a more "u" shape on the top part of the face and a "rainbow" shape on the bottom half EXCEPT for the middle lines that go over the nose and mouth. I make those mostly straight with a slight "u" curve.
KaraMundy
KaraMundy

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2009-11-16

http://www.KaraMundy.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:08 pm

My Spiderman rocks. It really is easy. But when I started it was tricky. At one event I did not want to paint it, so my then partner Tasja said she would. I panted two that day she did about 37!
Sweet Loretta
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next