Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Snazarooo red and Spiderman

+5
Miss Ronnie
thouartbeautiful
eva
Tineke
ambercat
9 posters

Go down

Snazarooo red and Spiderman Empty Snazarooo red and Spiderman

Post by ambercat Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:47 pm

Hi everyone! Being a new face painter, I did my first Spiderman yesterday.... (yes, those of you who have done thousands of these, I was excited and nervous to do my very first one!! Laughing ) I had decided to use Snazaroo red as it's easier to wash off, but when I painted it on with my three quarter inch brush, I just couldn't get rid of all the streaks no matter how much paint I put on my brush.. I ended up using TAG red instead with no streaking at all when brushed... Should I have used a sponge? Not terribly confident with my sponge work at the moment though... I just know I'd end up with paint all over the place...especially around the eyes where I wanted there to be clean lines. Perhaps more practice with the sponge is the answer and just don't use a brush with Snazaroo?
ambercat
ambercat

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2013-04-25

http://kathy232323.wix.com/kathys-face-painting

Back to top Go down

Snazarooo red and Spiderman Empty Re: Snazarooo red and Spiderman

Post by Tineke Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:54 pm

I have never used Snazaroo, I'm just not fond of the brand. (only tried a sampler of shiny dark blue once, didn't like it at all)

But in the end, it all comes down to finding the brands that work for you, and that can take a few mal-purchases.

And because you love a certain colour from a certain brand, won't mean that you'll love all the colours from that brand. Most painters mix brands, based on their experience with the look and feel of them.

I for example use mostly cameleon and Paradise paints (since those are the brands I sell here in Belgium), but also have Kryolan, Superstar, Wolfe, and sillyfarm rainbowcakes in my kit.

My red is half kryolan-half wolfe, and I blend both on the sponge (they're in the same container)
Why? Because the Kryolan red used to be great, but the last batch I bought sucks. So I blend it with my leftover Wolfe red, just to make sure I use it up, instead of letting it go to waste.

Maybe you could try that tactic with the FAB and Snazaroo reds? Or you could find someone that does like the Snazaroo red, and make a switch of products?
Tineke
Tineke

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-07-02

http://www.tinekesgrime.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:03 pm

First... use a sponge to apply the base - the white of the eyes and the red, not a brush. IMO very rarely does a face paint apply evenly with a brush.

It is a shameless plug, but my book explains this very well. It is available from the forum shop. "Your Face or Mine"

Snazaroo red is the BEST, IMO, red for Spidey.

Back to top Go down

Post by eva Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:39 pm

I use both, depending on a couple factors. The tag red does brush pretty well, but te snaz red sponges well. I lean toward the tag because its fast and accirate with a brush.
eva
eva

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2008-12-13

http://www.cincinnatifacepainters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by thouartbeautiful Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:55 am

If you have a wiggly kid, you can apply first with a brush and then even it out with a sponge while the paint is still wet. It makes the process really fast, especially if you're not yet fully confident with using sponges.
thouartbeautiful
thouartbeautiful

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2013-09-21

http://www.thouartbeautiful.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:00 am

I have not used red paint of any brand for Spidey for about 3 years - ever since I did my first Red Starblends Spidey. I use the White Starblends for the eyes.
Miss Ronnie
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:25 pm

i do my spiderman with a big red martha stewart pouncer.a really huge cyllyndrical foam sponge.

SUPER quick and fast.

i LOVE snaz for my bases-it does stain when you use it all over the face like that, but it washes off looking like a cute blush so i have never gotten any complaints about the red tinge-however, it is easy to remove by wiping the face with baby oil after washing it.

i must have done at least 13 spiderman faces yesterday, and they were SUPER quick.

i used white starblend for the eyes, and red SNAZAROO for the base.

SUPER QUICK, just use the pouncer, for $5 at Michaels...

literally 4 bounces across the forehead, 1 bounce between the eyes, and 2 bounces on each cheek.done and done.

nikkili26
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Tineke Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:29 pm

Miss Ronnie wrote:I have not used red paint of any brand for Spidey for about 3 years - ever since I did my first Red Starblends Spidey.  I use the White Starblends for the eyes.
I just ordered red and white starblends, after watching Marcela's fabatv class about powders.... She did a quick spiderman with starblends, and it looked so good, I want to start doing spidey that way.
I never used them much, only have a black starblend that I LOVE to use for monsters eyes, shading, etc. (because they're not sticky on the eyes)
Tineke
Tineke

Back to top Go down

Post by Tineke Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:32 pm

By the way: I really despise painting spiderman, because I don't like the way mine looks.
Here in Belgium everyone paints a full face spiderman (chin and mouth included), and I just hate how it looks: it's all good untill you get to that bottom part, where it all falls apart.

I tried doing more of a 'mask' spiderman, and the kid looked in the mirror and said it wasn't finished, I had to paint his whole face.

Any words of advice? Should I just do the kind of spiderman I want to do, without the lower part, and let the kids deal with it?
Tineke
Tineke

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:45 pm

Snazarooo red and Spiderman Kindle17

Snazarooo red and Spiderman Spidey10

Snazarooo red and Spiderman Spidy10

my only advice is ALWAYS DO A FULL FACE.

the kids NEVER WANT the part eye.
they never want the mask.

THEY ALWAYS WANT THE FULL FACE.

so now, i do the spidey eye you see in the second picture, and to give the kid the "full face", i just color the rest of the face in with the red color-but no lines...it is still a mask, but the whole face is red.much happier clients.
nikkili26
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:50 pm

my work around with the boys is i tell them "are you sure?it will look like girly lipstick-you don't really want lipstick makeup, do you?"

they say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
nikkili26
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by ambercat Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:47 am

Thanks everyone! Okay... next time I do a spiderman, I am going to use Snaz, paint around the eye area to get my defined lines, then have a go at sponging the rest.. i just tried using my big pouncer Nikki... it's not a Martha Stewart one.. it's just one of those ones you buy in craft stores with the wooden handle... but it did work brilliantly and I felt like I had a bit more control over where the paint was going...

Shannon... I like the sound of your book.. full of hints and tips... Just what I need!!!

I only did the mask on Saturday and the little boy loved it... but I'd like to attempt a full face one.. those webs scare me though.. I just know I wouldn't get them assymetrical and I'd have webs going all over the place!!

I don't have red Starblends.. only white and black... but it sounds as though some of you are having great success with that! It will go on my next shopping list!!! Thanks again everyone!! Very Happy 
ambercat
ambercat

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2013-04-25

http://kathy232323.wix.com/kathys-face-painting

Back to top Go down

Post by vinnie Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:38 pm

I personally love Snaz red :)But it's best for a base and sponged on. However, I do have it my "fire" split cake and it blends beautifully.

I say paint the spiderman your most comfortable with. I personally don't like painting a full face Spiderman, and every boy I have painted doesn't mind. And depending on how squirmy or young they are I'll skip the white on the eyes, and it still looks great!.

Snazarooo red and Spiderman Spider10

Snazarooo red and Spiderman Spider11
vinnie
vinnie

Number of posts : 315
Registration date : 2010-08-27

http://www.colormefacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:13 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

yes, very true, the kids LOVE this one...
I remember one time I forgot to make room for the eyes completely and the girl was soooooooooo freeakin happy, running and jumping saying "MOMMY LOOK, I'M SPIDER GIRL, I'M SPIDER GIRL!"

LOL.....

yes, if anything, try out vanessas design.
nikkili26
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by JENDZS Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:59 pm

Just throwing my 2 cents in - I use the ELF foundation brush for all my spideys. One for the white around the eyes and one for the red. No brush marks and it gives me more control than the sponges would. BTW these are only $1 per brush...  cyclops 
JENDZS
JENDZS

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2010-11-15

http://www.facepaintingbyjen.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:56 pm

I never do the full face spidey, half face spidey just looks so much better to my way of thinking.  Never had anyone complain that it wasn't 'full face', and (like everyone else here) I paint loads of them.  

Plus, I avoid painting the mouth area unless the design really needs it (like for a tiger or kitty or zombie or something) - because painting around the mouth and chin gets messed up the minute they eat or drink anyway - the longer it stays looking good, the more impressed people are with it.  Parents appreciate that.

For spidey I use either Snaz red or Tag pearl red, sponged on...I prefer the Tag pearl for the shiny factor, but Snaz is great too & is a truer spidey red.
Coral3
Coral3

Number of posts : 570
Registration date : 2012-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down