Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Acylic paint phone call from parent

5 posters

Go down

Acylic paint phone call from parent Empty Acylic paint phone call from parent

Post by elantaura Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:20 am

I got a call tonight about a festival this weekend, where acrylic paint is about to be used. It was a concerned parent. I told her it wasn’t safe and why.
She was very brief, just sort of wanted a yes or no answer and wouldn’t tell me where it is.

I don’t know if I should phone back and push I don’t want to do that, I have her phone number as she contacted me on my mobile. She mentioned that the people involved are pushing acylics as safe – I explained briefly why they are not.

I figure I am guessing that she must be from western/south western Sydney. Why else would you pick my name out of a hat. I dont know what festival but feel I should tell the organisers. It sounds like a small one offering free facepainting.

But at the same time I don’t know if this is a wind up etc she did sound a little concerned and mentioned her son has allergies which is why she phoned me to ask.
I am a bit lost on what to do. Should I just ignore this? Has anyone else ever got a phone call on this? Is this a normal phone call for a face painter?
anyone got likley candidates for festivals this weekend that it could be happening at?
I am so confussed as to what to do.
elantaura
elantaura

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://suejuddfacepaintingandbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Acylic paint phone call from parent Empty Re: Acylic paint phone call from parent

Post by Psalmbook Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:01 am

You've informed her of the dangers & now it's up to the organizers to take that info & make a decision. We can't make people do smart things Very Happy

It doesn't sound like they wanted to hire you, just ask questions. I'd let it go from here.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Acylic paint phone call from parent Empty Re: Acylic paint phone call from parent

Post by Guest Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:34 am

Not up to you to do anything. She called to get info, you gave it, done.

Back to top Go down

Post by elantaura Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:41 am

you know if it had already happened I wouldn't have got that deep sense of forboding, but the knowing it is the about too part that gets me!
I am going to Try not to think about it even though it is bugging the hell me.
Thinking happy thoughts isn't working though!
elantaura
elantaura

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehndi Masala Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:47 am

As hard as it it to just let go, you just can't cure stupid. Hard as ya want to try. You did your duty, you educated the public, done. If she had wanted to 'save' others (bit o drama there) she would have told you where it was happening.

If it helps you, SHE is the one that blocked you from doing more. It's on her! Your hands are clean! Now have a fantastic day and know that at least one more person is armed with info you provided to keep them and those they care about safe. Eventually she will spread the word AND it's likely she will do the job for you!
Mehndi Masala
Mehndi Masala

Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2010-12-04

http://www.winnipeghenna.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HillbillyDiva1 Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:20 pm

I'm 47 and I remember when I was 9 or 10 in Girl Scouts we painted faces with acrylics. Remember that was in the early 1970's there weren't all these great face paints out then just like we didn't have seat belts in the back seats of cars or wear helmets when we road bikes. These same women wouldn't hear of putting their kid in a car without seat belts or get on a bike without a helmet but that's because they know the horrors of those things. Once the horrors of using acrylics on skin becomes common knowledge they will be the same why about face paint.
HillbillyDiva1
HillbillyDiva1

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2011-09-04

http://www.gandgfaceandbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by clowngirl Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:09 pm

Sounds like a very strange phone call, Sue! For some reason I have a feeling that the woman is actually going to be painting and was digging for info. Could be wrong but I don't know what else to make of it. It's strange to me but then I'm very new to this industry. I find it alarming how many people think it's okay to use acrylics on faces. I went into the local art shop to enquire about opening my facepaint after I'd cut my finger and the woman said, "So that would be acrylic-based?". Wow, I thought someone with an art background would know not to use acrylics on the face. They sell Snazaroo there, too, but she still seemed to have no clue about the dangers unfortunately.

clowngirl

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2011-10-26

https://www.facebook.com/Lulu.Clown?ref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post by elantaura Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:16 pm

I suggest that the woman in the art shop was testing you. as I know her quite well. she has a degree in arts. and educated me about paint pens and fabric types etc.
2 of the clowns from bankstown and I asked her to get face paint, we asked for TAG and they wanted sparkle snaz, she got normal snaz and dervan.(sigh) they got a few other clowns to buy from her and now you will see she has a few snaz sparkles and metalics. But no hope on the TAG. she said the owner made her do it. she works there to pay for her art addiction-LOL
But you reminded me about her, I have just phoned her - I speak to her about every 6 weeks. She has taught me heaps to do with oil pastels, soft pastels I see her before my childrens peadiatrician appointments, My daughter always brings her pastels for the lady to show her stuff. and I always buy the children a snaz from there every time we go.

the call came from a customer at the shop prepering for a pre school christmas party. who wanted to use acyrlics from a pack (due to budget) rather than the snazaroo or even the dervain. Having no luck as the customer just wasn't listening. she told her to phone me and the clowns. As the art shop lady was horrified.

In the hope that she may listen to a professional face painter and the Professional clowns. as the lady accused her of just trying to sell he the more expensive products.I know she left the shop empty handed.

I know the source now. and don't feel bad about not phoning back . She has been advised by alot of people.and have just deleted her number from my phone log. and am offically washing my hands of it.
As many people before me mentioned you can't fix stupid.
(and it explains alot about the call)
elantaura
elantaura

Back to top Go down

Post by clowngirl Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:33 pm

The thing is there's been a different lady or guy in there nearly every time I've been in there so I'm not sure whether or not we're talking about the same lady. I have told someone there that it's a shame they only stock Snaz and Derivan and went onto say how much I dislike Derivan and why. Don't know if it was something I did wrong, but I used Derivan at the one facepainting gig I've had. They were fine for the purposes of the party but when I went to use them again they were dry and the top part of the lids had all come off - very strange! The brushes that came with the kit seemed to turn crap after only a couple of uses. I don't like that you need a barrier cream, either. I felt I'd wasted my money. I think you're probably talking about the lady with long dark hair or the one with very short hair? I got my Snaz electric blue there and am really happy with the colour. I'm hoping to do art classes there on Mondays. I felt a bit ripped off with the tiny Snaz stipple sponges I got there considering I got a big sponge exactly the same from Bunnings for less. I could probably cut it up and make 30 of those sponges! But everyone needs to make money I guess. Aha! I thought the call was coming from someone thinking of using acrylics themselves - some people just won't listen, I guess. I think somewhere like a pre-school should already be aware of safe products for skin etc

clowngirl

Back to top Go down

Post by elantaura Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:51 pm

The one with the long dark curly hair is the one who knows just about everything! she has tried face painting but politley put that she basically hates that the canvas moves, sneezes and you have to be so quick. she has decided to leave that to the professionals.
you might do well to pick her brain - so she cant face paint but she knows alot about techniques, brushes and just arty stuff. ánd yes there prices are through the roof which is why I buy online for me, but a snaz here or there for the kids to play with. it supports the local art shop that I am glad to have.
elantaura
elantaura

Back to top Go down

Post by clowngirl Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:00 pm

Yeah, she seems rather cluey! I wish I knew what their glitters are made up of, they have some pretty ones but the guy who was there couldn't tell me what was in them. I'll be sure to pick her brain, I'm so happy I realised the store had re-opened, can't believe it took me so long to notice. It will be great for when I need something at the last minute and can't get it online. I do believe I couldn't find a single filbert brush there, though! Though I was probably only looking for golden taklon, they may have sable ones. I can't even find one in the $2 stores haha. I don't mind Reno Art golden taklon from the discount stores. Sorry, I'm probably going a bit off track now!

clowngirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down