Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Logo painting

+2
Metina
Criss
6 posters

Go down

Logo painting Empty Logo painting

Post by Criss Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:49 pm

So I had a lady from a motor cycle/quad/sled shop contact me today. She said they were having a youth night and thought a face painter would be a fun addition. I thought this would be great, I asked her when, how many kids etc.. She asked if I could be hired for 30 minutes? I asked for how many kids, her response was 15. This would equal out to be 2 minutes a face lol. I told her minimum an hour, normally two, for a booking. She then asked if I could do their logo, it's a cat, I told he I would have to see it.

Funny part: her response was; "well they don't look like anything too difficult to paint" Then she emailed me 12 different logo designs for the party. HAHAHA

What are your opinions on this?
Criss
Criss

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Logo painting Empty Re: Logo painting

Post by Metina Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:28 pm

2 hour minimum. She needs to pick one logo and there will be a $50 logo creation fee. You are going to spend a lot of your own time learning the logo. She may want to consider getting a stencil of her logo done.
Metina
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:49 pm

Or... you could make transfers (sort of like tattoos) of the logo to fill in with paint... etc. There are lots of options BUT you have to charge for them!!

30 minutes???? That's cute, really cute... Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Criss Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:31 pm

I thought it was pretty cute...lol

mmmmmph a logo fee you say? I have never done that before. So, if in your community you would charge $50.00, I would probably charge $20.00. It's a pretty cheap community out here. Lots of wealthy people, but they stay that way because they won't sped their money. Wink

Do you think $20 sounds reasonable? Their event is only 1 hr long all together, so I'm gonna have to paint like a maniac and practice the design now. Plus she is booking 1 week before the event.
Criss
Criss

Back to top Go down

Post by Penleric Face Painting Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:26 pm

Usually I charge $30 per hour with a two hour minimum. For a few occasions I've made the exception for one hour parties. I think $20 would be selling yourself short. I mean. It costs not only in paint and supplies, but prep work, and gas to get there. Just put your foot down and tell them an hour minimum.
Penleric Face Painting
Penleric Face Painting

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.penlericfaceandbodypainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Criss Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:39 pm

Gosh, i'm sorry, I must not have been clear. I meant $20 for the logo design? I have already told her minimum an hour. I'm thinking she could pick 1 or 2 logo designs, (some are for girls & some for boys), that i could paint.
Criss
Criss

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:15 am

Are the logos difficult to do? I think two is sufficient for a one-hour gig, and I'd probably just do them for free if they aren't too complicated. I can't see the store paying an additional $50 for you to paint the logos. Maybe $20 though. Not saying it isn't worth it, just that they won't see it that way.

Definitely 1 hour minimum, and 2 hours is better.
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:10 am

If you did a custom stencil I can see charging a fee for that in particular. If she wanted you to make transfers that could also be a "value added" charge for custom work. But if you are just painting them... then there really shouldn't be an extra charge.

Don't you paint things on request all the time? This would be no different really than painting a sports logo or the Bat Signal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:40 am

It is a special request in my opinion. You are given something that you don't normally paint, wouldn't bother learning and most likely wouldn't paint again. It will take some time to learn and you will have to practice it.

If it were me I would politely decline the whole job. Sounds like she wants a whole lot for nothing. Her expectations are really skewed by only wanting 30 minutes and sends you 12 logos. I think she is setting you up for extreme frustration.

If they have money, then charge them for what your time is worth. My groceries are most likely the same cost as yours. Why should your rates be much different> In the end you have to make the decision.

Whatever you charge, they person organizing the event will tell everyone who asks her about your services. You would be in effect setting a ceiling on yourself.

I totally understand not wanting to walk away from business, but at the end of the day, if it is costing you money, what is the point?

PLUS: Even though she wants her logo all ofver the kids, they will not. You could spend all the time learning it and then they don't want it. You are out all the time and she is going to be upset. You must be clear with her that it is a great probability that most will want other things than her logo.
Metina
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:56 am

I learned the team logo for the hockey games I was doing... just because I knew they would want it. Some do want it, others just wanted player's numbers or names and stuff. I wouldn't charge extra for doing their logo, but I'd definitely charge your regular rate and a minimum of one hour... it's going to take longer than half an hour to paint detailed designs on 15 kids anyway.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:09 am

I have a minimum of one hour, and the first hour is 230$ in my home town and 465$ out of it. (half an hour would be the same). The next hours are then 50-100$ extra depending on how many. That include vat (25%), transportation, preparation (one new design, else they have to pay more), and materials.
It does that I get a OK day income, even if I only have that one hour. Plus people then normally book more hours =)
LoneWolf
LoneWolf

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2008-10-04

http://www.lone-wolf.dk

Back to top Go down

Post by Criss Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:40 am

All very good points guys. I appreciate all the help.
Criss
Criss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down