Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Humidity and setting Face Paint?

+9
LoneWolf
Metina
Sherry
Amanda H.
Cherylk
Criss
AngieAnders
WyndyO
starponysmama
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Humidity and setting Face Paint? Empty Humidity and setting Face Paint?

Post by starponysmama Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:05 am

I buy my painting supplies from a local costume shop in my home city. The guy who works there is a Film Major at Florida State University and does face painting to make extra money on weekends (he is a very talented make up artist). He's given me a few tips about setting the face paint. One of which was baby powder BUT, I tried this on myself at home and cannot get rid of the white tint it give the paint - YUCK! With the humidity in Florida (yesterday it was 99 and felt like 104) I'm looking for a way to "set/preserve" my faces. Anyone got any ideas/knowledge of products out there????

Thanks everyone!
starponysmama
starponysmama

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2009-06-16

http://www.facepaintingtallahassee.com

Back to top Go down

Humidity and setting Face Paint? Empty Re: Humidity and setting Face Paint?

Post by Guest Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:44 am

Baby powder works on oil based very well, but not on the water based. The powder soaks into the oils and absorbs the colour of the make-up, but not with the water based.

You could use shimmer powders in coordinating colours to "set" the face paints - this serves to give the colour more depth and set the paints a bit to help them hold through sweat, etc.

I know of many people in your type of climate who use powders and pressed cakes for their face painting - Mehron Starblends (traditional pancake make-up which can be used dry or wet - comes in fantasy colours as well as foundation shades), Ben Nye Lumiere, etc. There are many varieties - think large cakes of blush or eye shadow!! They work well in heat as they apply dry and you can they add details in regular water activate face paints.

Back to top Go down

Post by starponysmama Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:39 pm

Thanks so much for the tips! Just starting out ---- I haven't used the cakes yet but this encourages me to do so!
starponysmama
starponysmama

Back to top Go down

Post by WyndyO Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:25 pm

Yup! Sharon is the MASTER!!! Orlando Disney uses quite a bit of the Ben Nye line for their cast members and shows and many of my fellow Florida face painters here in FL would never be without their Starblends for their staying power in the humidity and heat. You can also use one of the setting sprays like Mehron, Green Marble or (cringe-don't flame me!) many people use hairspray on their competition body painting.
Also using the mica or shimmer powders is a great way to get the color and coverage for quick designs with decent staying power. Sharon's website has a very cool printout about all the ways to use shimmer powder (it is the cover of one of my "inspiration" books)! Also check sillyheatherb on youtube for some great ideas on shimmer/mica powder designs.
WyndyO
WyndyO

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://www.wowfactorypaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:11 pm

I wouldn't suggest using barrier spray on kids' faces though... it does work great but unless you have remover it's hard to get off. I often recommend hair spray. I don't have it on hand and don't apply it, but I tell them that it will protect the design if they are wanting to keep it on for a while.
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:10 am

Shannon Wyndy... not Sharon. Wink

Here's the link to the powder sheet http://www.shannonfennell.com/powderguide.pdf

Back to top Go down

Post by WyndyO Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:48 am

duh - I know you are Shannon - sometimes the typing fingers in a hurry with fussy distracting kids in background get ahead of the brain......so sorry. sign me redfaced! I love you I love you Shannon!!! Thanks for the link.
WyndyO
WyndyO

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://www.wowfactorypaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by starponysmama Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:59 pm

Clue for Beginners Using Baby Powder to set Paint: it's easier to set the baby powder with a decent brush. It has to be really big and poufy, and be careful not to put too much around the eyes. Lesson learned!
starponysmama
starponysmama

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:11 pm

Actually... I wouldn't recommend using baby powder. It contains talc which can be extremely irritating to the airways and many people can't tolerate it. I use it only on adults... with their okay.

It is useful, but I would not use it face painting at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Criss Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:44 pm

Corn starch works as well, (i've tried it, not often.) I had a clown show me year n years ago how to make a powder sock with corn starch. I have used it on myself, but not others. Smile
Criss
Criss

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:58 pm

Cornstarch is an okay substitute on baby bottoms, but... it is a thickener so, if it is wet or humid it absorbs the moisture and can make a very gooey surface... I know some clowns use it but the make-up itself it usually grease paint/oil based and slathered on pretty thick... so the cornstarch is absorbed INTO the make-up.

Water based face paints do not need powdering to set - the issue is humidity making the skin damp therefore the paints don't dry as they should. Best bet is to switch to powder cakes or loose coloured powders if you have to work in those conditions, or use shimmer powders on top of the paint to absorb the excess moisture which will help the water based make-up to dry.

But face it, if it is THAT hot and humid, face painting is going to be a bit of an issue no matter what you try... dribbles of coloured sweat running down the neck, etc. This is what glitter tattoos are great for - when it is hot here I do them instead of face painting and no one has every complained.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherylk Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:32 am

I was wondering how the face paint would hold up to the humidity, too. I've been using Snazaroo, and I've only been using it indoors, so far. This summer I think I'll try the festival circuit, but I was worried about the paint not drying on hot humid days, too. I was thinking having a little hand-held fan to try to just "dry" it a little.. not sure if that will work! Probably feel nice and cool on the overheated person, though! Smile

Cherylk

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2009-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda H. Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:34 pm

I have found that Snaz does not respond well to hot weather, the black especially turns to mush affraid , I am also talking only mildly warm as based in the UK.
Also heard from others that paradise doesnt like combination of heat/humidity that much.

Amanda H.

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-02-18

http://visage-design.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:30 pm

Paradise runs and smears easily in humid weather. It's a mess in the south. Snazaroo will stay on really well as long as it isn't RUBBED or wiped while wet. I've painted my legs and gotten in the tub lots of times, and just watched how well it stays on underwater. It fades a little but is crisp and clear until I wipe it with my hand.
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherry Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:55 am

It's getting so hot and humid here, that I tried the Starblend route this weekend. Applying it wet. It worked fine when I tried it on myself, but wasn't so great this weekend. The children were all very dark complected and it really didn't show up well, plus the linework still ran and smeared from the sweat. I think it was a bit better than using the water based cakes, it just wasn't very vibrant. Do you think I should stick with applying it dry?

The thing I hate about dry application, is certain skin types and areas of the skin on the same person will pick up the color differently. Sometimes it goes on SOOO heavy and thick and sometimes, barely gets any coverage. Especially the purple, blue and green I've noticed barely covering.
Sherry
Sherry

Number of posts : 281

http://www.funfaces.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherylk Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:53 am

Angie, that's good to know about the Snazaroo! I was hoping you'd weigh in on this topic, because I notice with your setup, you're used to working outdoors! I use the Paradise for line work.. might have to invest in some Wolfe or Diamond FX.

Sherry, I was wondering how those Starblend powders worked. On Silly Heather's video they look like they go on so smooth and nice, but seeing is not the same as using! I kinda wondered if they'd be blotchy on sweaty skin.

Seems like there is no perfect solution. My biggest worry is having face paint that turns to pudding while I'm trying to use it!

Cherylk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherry Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:08 am

The red, black, yellow and orange and white do go on smooth and nice, just like in the videos, but there are exceptions. As the cake gets older, I sometimes see changes in the coverage... it may be from them getting wet, by using it at a hot event and all the sweaty faces?

The only ones I've had problems getting that coverage from a new cake is the green, blue and purple... it seems to depend on the face I'm applying it to. Different areas of skin? It covers my face better... not so great when I've practiced with it on my leg. I've heard if you apply a base coat of something, like makeup that the coverage is smoother. So, I tried this on myself and it covers much smoother when I have a base of foundation makeup on.

I have noticed it blotching up in spots on sweaty faces. I don't think you have to worry about it turning to pudding though, so there are definitely pluses to the powders in hot weather. I'm still working my way through it, trying to come up with the best solution! Smile
Sherry
Sherry

Number of posts : 281

http://www.funfaces.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:39 pm

I don't envy you guys in the deep south AT ALL. Just getting back from Florida myself, I was blown away by how hot it was. I grew up there, but don't remember it being so darn hot.

It is nice here in WV. HEHE.

I don't have too much to add except that maybe plugging a fan in under your tent could help the paint dry a lot faster and keep you and your clients cool. Also, the glitter can help is set a bit also.

I have used the Starblends, but found that I made a mess of the childrens' clothes. I was hoping to use the red for small children for Spiderman. It worked well dry, but the kid ended up with red dust all over that didn't just brush off.
Metina
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherylk Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:52 am

I think I might have to get a Starblend and try it out. I think it's going to be really hot here this summer It's already 30 degrees Celcius (86 fahrenheit) here, and it's not even July, yet! I can't imagine what you painters do in the South.. !

Thanks for the tips, Sherry!

Cherylk

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:59 am

Get yourself a cloth to go over the shoulders till you get used to how much dust it produces. Another painter suggested this to me, but I just traded them away in order not to "pack" another item.
Metina
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by starponysmama Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:45 pm

WOW The south is certainly no fun. What I could not believe was that I did a festival this weekend in 102 degree weather, everyone was walking around sweating, and they still wanted face paints.. blew my mind.

You can buy talc free sensitive powder that works rather well.

Also found that drying the face with a paper towel then gently rubbing powder over BEFORE you apply DOES help somewhat. I also keep a battery operated fan on the customer the entire time. Saturday I painted my face at 9:30 am and managed to keep it in tact until 2:30 PM ( a huge success in this humidity!) drying and LIGHTLY powdering my face beforehand.

Amazing input!
bounce
starponysmama
starponysmama

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:53 pm

Maybe the fan was the reason people wanted to be painted? ;-)
LoneWolf
LoneWolf

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2008-10-04

http://www.lone-wolf.dk

Back to top Go down

Post by starponysmama Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:11 pm

LOL - Very, Very possible! LOL! Hey - if it works! USE IT!
starponysmama
starponysmama

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:12 pm

Agree. I sometimes think people also just like to sit down and relax for a bit =)
LoneWolf
LoneWolf

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2008-10-04

http://www.lone-wolf.dk

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherylk Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:22 pm

Oh I love the fan on the person the whole time they sit! That's a great idea... I guess you always have an power outlet where you are?

Cherylk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next