Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Got my Airbrush System Yesterday!!! How many here do airbrush??

+21
Sweet Loretta
Lynnie
Linda Adams
smitty225
sparklingfaces
squiggle
SuzySparkles
modernmagik
twinkletattoos
Tash
cmeexpressions
Ashley Pickin
KathyO
JBax
avigailmilder
starponysmama
funfacesforu
Metina
JOAT
LoneWolf
WyndyO
25 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Got my Airbrush System Yesterday!!! How many here do airbrush?? Empty Got my Airbrush System Yesterday!!! How many here do airbrush??

Post by WyndyO Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:38 pm

And what paints do you like the best?

I am just learning and don't want to waste too much money on trying every brand. Of course here in Florida, I need something that holds up well in heat and humidity and won't clog too much! pirat

Thanks!
WyndyO
WyndyO

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://www.wowfactorypaint.com

Back to top Go down

Got my Airbrush System Yesterday!!! How many here do airbrush?? Empty Re: Got my Airbrush System Yesterday!!! How many here do airbrush??

Post by LoneWolf Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:03 am

I use airbrush for foundation (using Kett). If for bodypaint I use Kryolan. And for temprorary tattoos I use Tribal Ink or Temptu.
I have tried from Graftobian and Mehron. The Mehron need to be thinned down, so it takes more time. And the one colour I tried from Graftobian (got it from Dauphines in the UK) apparently had been discontinued years back, because it clogged... Why they still had it, I don't know, but have heard the other colours are good. Must test them some day.
What airbrush gun you get is also really really important. I like the ones from Iwata best, but also have one from Badger that just works no matter what =)
LoneWolf
LoneWolf

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2008-10-04

http://www.lone-wolf.dk

Back to top Go down

Got my Airbrush System Yesterday!!! How many here do airbrush?? Empty Re: Got my Airbrush System Yesterday!!! How many here do airbrush??

Post by Guest Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:30 pm

I use Iwata airbrushes. And Dinair airbrush make-up. It is water based and washes off easily. And safer for everyone when spraying indoors - I use it a lot for theatre and we are typically inside and without great ventilation... therefore the water based products is safer than an alcohol based brands.

Back to top Go down

Post by JOAT Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:00 pm

Shannon Fennell wrote:I use Iwata airbrushes. And Dinair airbrush make-up. It is water based and washes off easily. And safer for everyone when spraying indoors - I use it a lot for theatre and we are typically inside and without great ventilation... therefore the water based products is safer than an alcohol based brands.
The Dinair airbrush make-up, does it dry fast? and where do you buy it?

JOAT

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:37 pm

I haven't bought any in years... but I used to order direct from Dinair in L.A. I think they have retail distributors now...

And airbrush make-up is dry when it hits... that's the beauty of it. If it is wet you're applying it too heavily... at least that is how they taught it at Dinair.

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:44 am

If you don't mind me asking, how much does an air brush system cost. I was watching some demos on youtube and it looks good, but sounds xpensive!
Metina
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:30 pm

12 years ago I spent about $4000 - that was a complete start-up ... compressor, CO2 adapter, drip valve, regulator, six-hose manifold, hoses, airbrushes (Iwata mostly), adapter caps, bottles, clamps and holders, stencils, make-up...

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:31 pm

OMG! Too rich for my blood.
Metina
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:32 pm

http://www.tribalinkproducts.com/
LoneWolf
LoneWolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:40 pm

AND... I blew through THREE compressors. Had to buy replacement parts for the compressors and airbrushes, new hoses...

I traded aways most of it for Fardel actually just this past year.

And... other than using it for theatre I only used it for FP/stencils THREE TIMES.... I honestly can't say it paid for itself... maybe just with the amount of theatre work I used it for, BUT given the cost of the make-up probably not.

At about $28 US per one ounce bottle it is expensive - consider that one bottle of make-up would cover ONE actor with foundation for ONE play... so for a cast of 20, twenty bottles of make-up would be required just for their bases...

I really hated using stencils for tattoos --- so I didn't bother marketing that. People who do tattoos make money with it though.... volume sales!!

Back to top Go down

Post by funfacesforu Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:20 am

Wyndy,
Please keep us updated on your airbrush business. When I can save enough money, I would like to buy a system.
funfacesforu
funfacesforu

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post by starponysmama Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:24 am

Yeah Wyndy - let me know how that stuff holds up in the Florida Heat & Humidity. I already have a compressor and airbrush and was thinking of putting my boyfriend on the airbrush since he's into it anyway. Smile
starponysmama
starponysmama

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2009-06-16

http://www.facepaintingtallahassee.com

Back to top Go down

Post by avigailmilder Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:20 am

shannon -
I am interested in theater work.. though I haven't yet down any research or foot work. Now that summer is over there will be time Wink

Questions, you mentioned using water soluble airbrush inks for theater. I thought that one had to use oil based products because actors sweat under the hot light etc and water based paints would smudge?

avigail
avigailmilder
avigailmilder

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2009-03-28

http://phillyfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:46 pm

Airbrush make-up is totally different... it is dry as it hits the skin and is not a total coverage more like pixels... millions of dots of coloured pigment on the surface of the skin, so that the pores are not clogged and sweat does not cause it to run... it doesn't smudge either.

For applying foundation to the face the psi is 5-6 only, so it is a very soft spray...

If you want to use the airbrush for make-up vs tattoos I would highly recommend taking a class in it as it is a different method.

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:35 am

Is facepainting airbrush machine different than different than regular airbrush? I only ask because my friend's brother offered to sell me his cheap. He's into dabbling and impulse buying, and it's now gathering dust.
Any thoughts?
JBax
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:18 am

Is it the compressor or airbrush gun he is selling? A normal compressor would be to powerful for the face- and body. But the airbrush might be good.
Do you know the names?
I use a Iwata Revolution for the face. Normally I use it for foundation (Kett, it is great!), but is good for colours as well =)
LoneWolf
LoneWolf

Back to top Go down

Post by KathyO Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:39 pm

I do airbrushing but not as much as face painting. I use iwata airbrushes and some from bearair.com. I started out using one airbrush that was a gravity feed and a battery powered aircompressor by Temptu- I built up my system bit by bit and it took 2 years to do it. It is expensive but you can write it off on your taxes. I use Temptu Inks and ABA inks.
KathyO
KathyO

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:43 pm

Thanks for the info... He offered in passing, and I have no extra money right now, so I didn't get details. But I may have to find out. Not only would I be looking into the cost of his equipment, plus whatever I would need to convert to making it suitable for skin, I would have to invest in paint and stencils and what ever else. Plus it sounds heavy! So if it's good, maybe I'll offer a payment plan... or he just had a baby... free birthday parties!
JBax
JBax

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:19 pm

You can make stencils yourself or just starting with a small set with around 10.
LoneWolf
LoneWolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Pickin Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:09 pm

I do it poorly sometimes.. they just frustrate me.. I need someone to teach me the ways!
Ashley Pickin
Ashley Pickin

Number of posts : 838
Registration date : 2009-06-27

http://www.picnpaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:59 am

Do bodypainters usually use airbrush instead of the (not sure what to call it other than....) regular face paint?

I've not done bodypainting... want to give it a try at some point (soon Very Happy )
JBax
JBax

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:18 am

A lot of bodypainters use airbrush. Personally I like brush and sponge since:
I do not have to take a heavy compressor with me.
Less technical problems, no system malfunction or clogging with a brush.
It is not so cold for the model, as having paint/cold air against you.
Not so limiting, as stencils can be (but that has a lot to do with what you are used to)
I'm faster with a brush.

But it is good for when you have to make a specific detailed design, like a logo or a lot of similar patterns.
LoneWolf
LoneWolf

Back to top Go down

Post by cmeexpressions Mon May 10, 2010 9:32 pm

Does anyone have any tips for the gun clogging and how to speed up the changing of colors? I have a different bottle for each color. I shoot alcohol through it after each color and try to clean it out good after the line has gone down. I struggle at the 4th of July festivals in the heat. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. This is my biggest money maker at festivals.

Carey Emory
C Me Expressions
cmeexpressions
cmeexpressions

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2010-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Tue May 11, 2010 2:10 am

hmmmm I don't know for sure Jbax, but I had been told you use the same guns for both, just with the different inks.
I've been trying to hassle someone into showing me a full face design done with airbrushing.... like a tiger for example, but it hasn't happened as of yet.
Thanks to Shannon for her paint info, that is a big help to me!
Then again when is Shannon NOT a big help???
I love you

p.s. I only paid about $400 - $600 for my airbrush set up, but I am only now purchasing more stencils to around 250- and that's costing me another $200 - shipping to Australia is a bitch!
I agree that the paint is the biggest expense, but you don't need to spend $4000. You can get a simple but effective set up for around $600 with everything you need, it just won't be the BEST quality money can buy.
Alternatively if you only want the airbrush for tattooing and not for face and body painting you should consider looking into the Dab Dab tattoo range. You dab the ink instead of spraying..... same result very cheap outlay. The only Guy I know who sells this system is in Australia. Let me know if anyone is interested in the link and I'll post it.
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by twinkletattoos Tue May 11, 2010 5:30 am

Tash wrote:hmmmm I don't know for sure Jbax, but I had been told you use the same guns for both, just with the different inks.
I've been trying to hassle someone into showing me a full face design done with airbrushing.... like a tiger for example, but it hasn't happened as of yet.
Thanks to Shannon for her paint info, that is a big help to me!
Then again when is Shannon NOT a big help???
I love you

p.s. I only paid about $400 - $600 for my airbrush set up, but I am only now purchasing more stencils to around 250- and that's costing me another $200 - shipping to Australia is a bitch!
I agree that the paint is the biggest expense, but you don't need to spend $4000. You can get a simple but effective set up for around $600 with everything you need, it just won't be the BEST quality money can buy.
Alternatively if you only want the airbrush for tattooing and not for face and body painting you should consider looking into the Dab Dab tattoo range. You dab the ink instead of spraying..... same result very cheap outlay. The only Guy I know who sells this system is in Australia. Let me know if anyone is interested in the link and I'll post it.

I'd like to take a peek at the Dab Dab---the name sounds fun! haha
twinkletattoos
twinkletattoos

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2010-04-23

http://www.twinkletattoos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next