Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seeking a recommendation for budget airbrush system

3 posters

Go down

Seeking a recommendation for budget airbrush system Empty Seeking a recommendation for budget airbrush system

Post by securitywyrm Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:33 pm

Greetings experts! I seek your assistance with establishing the right equipment for an airbrush setup. I saw a setup at an Art and Wine festival where someone used a simple airbrush and stencils to do quick temporary tattoos on folks, and I'd like to do the same for some events I entertain at.

Just to get some things out of the way.
1. I would not be charging for this. This is strictly for fun and friends, at events where there is currently no body painting services among the vendors.
2. I have the personal liability insurance lined up. I would not be painting the face with these tattoos. This would be for torso and limbs only.

What I'd like to have: An airbrush setup with stencils. Folks get free spray-on tattoos using the stencils. My current gig is candy fishing, where folks jump for candy clipped to a string, but that has (pardon the pun) grown stale in the ten years I've been doing that gig, and I want to mix it up.

So far what I see I'll need

1. Tent
2. Chairs
3. Airbrush
4. Paint
5. Stencils
6. Ground cover.
7. Poster of the available stencils.
8. Water supply.
9. Power supply.
10. Compressor.
11. Stepstool for those getting ankle and leg tattoos.
12. Paper towel supply for clean-up

My current budget is $400 for the fixed costs and a $50/event variable cost for paint.
I'd love to hear your feedback about elements I haven't considered, as well as any recommendations you might have for a specific model of airbrush and compressor.
securitywyrm
securitywyrm

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2015-02-22

Back to top Go down

Seeking a recommendation for budget airbrush system Empty Re: Seeking a recommendation for budget airbrush system

Post by Sweet Loretta Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:53 pm

Do you want or plan to run colors or just black tattoos? Just getting you thinking of how many airbrushes you may need.

A quality airbrush alone is $70 to $105. A compressor for your needs $90. These are the things not to scrimp on, then maybe a cheap tent at $100. A stencil starts at $8 each up to $35.... this is not cheap to get into.
Sweet Loretta
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Seeking a recommendation for budget airbrush system Empty Re: Seeking a recommendation for budget airbrush system

Post by securitywyrm Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:23 pm

Indeed it's not cheap, but my current gig is $200 worth of materials an event and I'd rather spend $400 to get started and $50 of variable materials than keep spending $200/event. This is just a hobby to me, but I do have a significant budget for it.

A question about quality airbrush: If I'm doing fairly simple stencils, do I need an expensive airbrush? I'm not applying details, I'm just spraying over a stencil. I would buy higher-end airbrushes if the event was popular though.

Is there a site you'd recommend for getting stencils?
securitywyrm
securitywyrm

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2015-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by poopitypants Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:02 am

I will say, I went as budget as I could get in order to dabble with airbrush. Got $20 dual action brushes from Harbor Freight (same brand as Masters online, just a different name stamped on). Used one maybe 3 times, just messing around. Each time I finished I took apart the brush and cleaned it. Third time I put it back together, I must've done something wrong, or something broke, because the trigger is impossible to work with anymore.

Spent $50 on an Iwata Neo brush at Hobby Lobby (only that price with a 40% off coupon), much smoother use. Huge difference.

Just weighing in with my very limited experience.

poopitypants

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2013-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down