Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seeking advice about another fp in my area...

+12
Arty-Farty Party
Jazz
Pilareta
caro
Faces by Ainslie
makin faces by synni
Kristal
Daizy
flopsietheclown
Griffinblue
eva
Cherry
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Seeking advice about another fp in my area... Empty Seeking advice about another fp in my area...

Post by Cherry Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:41 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm a new poster but i've been reading the forum for a few weeks now. I've been painting on and off for years, but i've recently decided to get back into it and start my own little business Laughing Anyway, business is going good and i'm getting a lot of requests for work etc. I am slowly building my own little gallery by painting kids for free at mothers groups in exchange for putting their photo's in my portfolio. Or I just paint myself.

Anyway, there is another face painter in my area who I personally think is completely unethical. I guess i just want some advice in how to deal with this person. So top of my list is:

1) her gallery is a mix of her own work (which i think could do with some improvement, but i'm not here to insult her work), and pictures taken off google images. She currently has work done by Mark Reid (!) and others up on her facebook site and claiming it as her own. This just drives me banana's Evil or Very Mad . I don't understand the thought process behind taking someone else's pictures and claiming them as your own work. People are commenting on how great the faces look and she isn't pointing out that they were done by someone else. I just think it's blatant false advertising. People are going to book her to paint these faces and then she's not going to be able to do it, and the client will rightly be very unhappy and probably never book a face painter again. I.e, it's going to give the rest of us a bad name.

2) Her fees are set really low for our area. Like $50 for 2 hours. Her marketing strategy is to try and undercut and rest of us, but i just think that this will exacerbate point #1. Also, i'm not sure how she could legitimately run a business for that amount of money when you factor in taxes, insurance, cost of materials, transport etc.

3) She keeps trying to contact me for a partnership and paint under her business name. HA! Because 'i'm just starting out and she wants to help me'. So far i have firmly refused and been polite with her. I really want no association with her whatsoever.

So anyway, I guess has anyone been in this particular situation before? Should i just butt out and mind my own business? It just bugs me that she runs her business like this. Even in the short time that I have been back painting, I have had clients complain to me unprovoked about her business etiquette - e.g 'oh i booked x for my son's bday party last year and she just never showed up and couldn't be contacted'. I just think people like her give the rest of us a bad name, and clients sometimes ask about the price comparison between her and me. I can't exactly tell them my opinion of her without coming off sounding unprofessional can I? Plus it might get back to her and i might have to deal with the fall out of that. (e.g her bad mouthing me if she isn't already doing it).

*sigh* I apologise for my first post being so negative, but i guess i just needed to vent No

On the plus side, i'm fully booked for the next two months and really excited about it bounce

Thanks

Cherry

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2011-08-15

Back to top Go down

Seeking advice about another fp in my area... Empty Re: Seeking advice about another fp in my area...

Post by eva Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:53 pm

A simple you get what you pay for..haha

I am sorry that one of your locals isn't holding up to standards. We have had people post pages on here before that has work that doesn't belong to them, then the owners send cease and decist. It would have to have some work from multiple artist known well in our community.

I say take the high road. Post on your sight that all of your work is yours, done by you, and an accurate example of what your customers money gets them. You have plenty of business so her undercutting must not be working. Some people will be happy with what she gives them for 50. The difference of buying name brand or generic shoes.
eva
eva

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2008-12-13

http://www.cincinnatifacepainters.com

Back to top Go down

Seeking advice about another fp in my area... Empty Re: Seeking advice about another fp in my area...

Post by Guest Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:55 pm

First... what is her website so that we can check the photos and alert the owners to their illegal use.

You have no control over her undercutting... unfortunately.

And you are under NO obligation whatsoever to work with/for or beside her. No excuses to her are required - if you say no, that's all you have to say.

If client's comment on her business practise or rates, avoid saying anyting about her, just explain what your rates and guarantees are.

Back to top Go down

Post by eva Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:58 pm

Yes, list the site here. You can look in our members list to see if the artist in on here.
eva
eva

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2008-12-13

http://www.cincinnatifacepainters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Griffinblue Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:05 pm

I also have issues with this, mostly she copies my designs and style, and people think it was me!

I try to put it outa my mind, and worry about me and what's on my books. I can only control myself and the way I choose to react. Sound like you are doing great! Keep it up, and good luck to you!
Griffinblue
Griffinblue

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by flopsietheclown Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:08 pm

I agree with Shannon. Never say anything negative about a fellow face painter. It always looks bad on you. It's good that you have been polite to her. I had a very similar situation when a new clown started her business in my area by hiring high schools kids for really low rates. It was hard to compete but I let my work stand on its own. Most people understand value and getting what they pay for. Stay focused on being the best you can be and market yourself like crazy. I also understand not wanting to get confused with her. Find something to wear or do that sets you far apart from her. I did a fair once where there were 2 of us painting faces. I was horrified when I saw some of the acrylic work the other woman was doing. I took out my balloons and made little hats for each child so they stood out as mine. Good luck!
flopsietheclown
flopsietheclown

Number of posts : 449
Registration date : 2010-11-10

http://www.ClassicClown.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:50 pm

oh it's telling me i can't post an external link for several days becaue i'm a new member. perhaps i'll PM you guys?

Cherry

Back to top Go down

Post by flopsietheclown Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:51 pm

PM me and I'll post the alleged offender's site if you wish.
flopsietheclown
flopsietheclown

Back to top Go down

Post by Daizy Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:03 am

Or just mention her facebook name so we can hunt it out....

I think people will definitely cotton on to the face she can't do all that she promises, just contine you be bigger better and brighter and people will easily spot the difference.
Daizy
Daizy

Number of posts : 860
Registration date : 2010-09-02

http://www.daizydesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by flopsietheclown Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:04 am

https://www.facebook.com/happycheeks is what I was told. I am not her friend so I can't see the photos and I have no knowledge of what she has posted.
flopsietheclown
flopsietheclown

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:09 am

She has some info available if you aren't a friend... does she have a website? I can't find one for her... there is one in the UK called Happy Cheeks but she is in Oz.

Back to top Go down

Post by flopsietheclown Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:12 am

I do recognize Roberta Mandella's photo on the collage that I can see. I'm not familiar with the contact information but I think it's Oz.
flopsietheclown
flopsietheclown

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:15 am

Okay... I was able to tag two of the photos - one was painted by Tammy Beeks of the UK and one was Mark Reids so I tagged them "Painted by Tammy Beeks" etc. there was another one that I think was Rebecca Arty Brushes but I wasn't 100% sure.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristal Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:31 am

Michelle Heffner's princess crown is in one of the collages. Can someone tag her? I'm not friends with "Happy Cheeks"
Kristal
Kristal

Number of posts : 1587
Registration date : 2009-03-10

http://www.faceaballoonza.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristal Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:44 am

Just messaged Heff.
Kristal
Kristal

Number of posts : 1587
Registration date : 2009-03-10

http://www.faceaballoonza.com

Back to top Go down

Post by makin faces by synni Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:20 am

there is certainly a diverse range of face painting. she obviously has plenty of her own pics so y use the pro's? just makes her stuff look bad imo! i would NOT put up a mark Ried next to my stuff heaven forbid i would have to reproduce it!
makin faces by synni
makin faces by synni

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2010-03-15

http://	facebook.com/synni80

Back to top Go down

Post by Faces by Ainslie Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:04 am

Yep its Australia-far North Queensland.
Faces by Ainslie
Faces by Ainslie

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2011-07-06

http://www.FacesByAinslie.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by caro Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:43 am

It irks me that people would use adverise other peoples work as their own. Shame on them, shame, shame, shame!!
I would definately not say a bad word about her but I wouldn't say anything good either.
Just let the clients know that you have great hygiene practices, you are insured, you use the best quality face paints etc etc.
I would love to hear more on if this lady gets busted for having other people's pics up, she could be in big trouble!!
I do know someone that had her whole booklet done up with other face painters pics. She is slowly working her way through the booklet and replacing them once she has done her own version. But I still think it is false representation.
Keep us posted Very Happy
caro
caro

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2010-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:16 am

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I checked her fb page earlier and it was down, but now it is back up again and it still has the pics. ? Who knows what that was about. Anyway, i've raised the issue and now i'm done with it. On another note...I got asked today whether i wanted to work for free (in exchange for professional pics of the day) for a charity family fun day event held at a local pool. I'm busy that day but perhaps i should direct the organiser to this facepainter. Free facepainting in this town means getting absolutely mobbed, and she could use the practice to master her Mark Reid design Razz

Cherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilareta Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:33 am

Her kit doesn´t look very professional neither. What kind of paints is she using?
Pilareta
Pilareta

Number of posts : 1336
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:48 am

It looks like Derivan face paint. I started out using that stuff. It's very difficult to paint with, and it's better to just chuck it in the bin and go buy TAG etc

Cherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:56 am

I think i've been blocked from her fb page or it has been taken down again. She had 'friended' me previously on my personal fb page and now it is gone from my list.

Cherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Jazz Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:22 am

The info and wall pages are still visible to me as an outsider, if you were blocked i only hope it doesn't make things difficult for you in future!
Jazz
Jazz

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2011-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Cherry Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:45 am

yeah, looks like i've been blocked. I jumped on my hubs page and her pics are now private to friends only and she has a message saying that other facepainters/ persons are being malicious towards her. I'm guessing she got some strongly worded emails from people asking to take their pics down, because i have not said a word to her.

Cherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Arty-Farty Party Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:06 am

Her 'wall photos' album is public if you click on one from her wall. She added a comment an hour ago that some of the images are not painted by her she found them with google images.
Arty-Farty Party
Arty-Farty Party

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2011-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next