Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Present for the BIRTHDAY kid

+22
TinafromNY
nikkili26
MasterpieceFacePainting
PerfectlyPaintedFaces
Kat's FacesForFun
Miss Ronnie
Tuli*
Mika's Creations2
Fun Frog
Terina
EVENTERTAINMENTS
Lady Jayde
twobluestripes
BluAngL83
Kristal
Perry Noia
Miss Yoko
SuzySparkles
IamGinaW
Psalmbook
jumpers4you
Spectrum
26 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Present for the BIRTHDAY kid - Page 3 Empty Re: Present for the BIRTHDAY kid

Post by EVENTERTAINMENTS Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:06 pm

Spectrum wrote:I just want to offer a very friendly, very small suggestion.

I think it's smart to thoroughly read the entire postings, take time to comprehend them, then perhaps if needed....re-read them before posting responses.

A couple of the responses to my posting here have totally missed the point of the original post. Please take the time to read the original posters replys before just reading the most recent reply and responding. It looks as if some people have just logged in and started typing for the sake of typing.

I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do and I was certain not everyone would agree with my idea, but sometimes just taking time to read the original posters responses will clear up any misunderstandings and save you many keystrokes.

I'm not one to get into altercations with people, especially people in other states or even other countries, but if you are going to take the time to post your opinion (which I enjoy reading very much) atleast have respect enough for the poster of the topic to read their responses before suggesting that their ideas are pretty much worthless. I know that we don't all have to agree 100% of the time, or even like each other...but I think the forum alone and each and every person does deserve respect from each other.

It's the way forum threads work. Someone posts, and then another posts and so on, and in time, the thread changes direction and migrates into something else. However, on this occasion, we were all still talking about 'gifting' the child in some way. People have simply offered their way of doing it, the same as you did. You never asked an initial question, just offered advice, and people have added theirs onto the end. Other people have responded too, but the thread is still on topic. Do you only want people to reply to YOUR post? I'm confused...
EVENTERTAINMENTS
EVENTERTAINMENTS

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2010-10-09

http://www.eventertainments.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:40 pm

Well, for me, I DO read the entire thread...and then I respond to whoever I desire to respond to within that thread. As Eventertainments said above, it's the nature of the online forum; fluid and diversified. To imply that others haven't versed themselves in the topic of discussion simply because they have chosen not to reply directly to it...well...
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Yoko Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:19 pm

Then to come back on the thread, I think even if I wanted to bring a gift, its really not easy. You have to be really careful as little things in goodies bags could be dangerous for the little ones. Also you don't know those people so what they like, what they don't like...
I saw that someone mentioned a cheap Barbie... What if the mom is an ultra-feminist and is completely against that kind of doll?

Bringing a gift can be great, but can be risky also...

Like Perry Noa I do bring sometime coloring pages :
http://fancifulfaces.com/images/stories/painter-black-white.pdf

And also I print a personal BDcard :
Present for the BIRTHDAY kid - Page 3 Jaidon10

Miss Yoko
Miss Yoko

Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2009-09-24

http://www.fancifulfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectrum Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:49 pm

I hope everyone is having a great day wherever you may be. A big hello from Virginia. Smile I'm just going to thank everyone for their responses no matter how you chose to respond. Hope everyone finds time to come to the live chat that we've started having from time to time in the chat box located on the home page. We've been having a lot of fun in there! Changingfaces has asked me to do a post sometime soon reminding people of the chat since she's going to be at fabbulas, so keep an eye out....some of the very coolest people have joined in so far. Gotta get back to work!

Last edited by Spectrum on Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spectrum
Spectrum

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2010-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectrum Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:53 pm

Terina, that was a wonderful idea...I love magic shows and puppet shows too! I'm 30 and still enjoy those things as much as the kids. Very creative way to add a little something extra to the B-Day childs day.
Spectrum
Spectrum

Back to top Go down

Post by BluAngL83 Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:45 pm

haha total forum moment: going off subject...but hey you brought it up first (@ Spectrum) Razz

Spectrum where in VA are you? Many of us are going to Pashur's class Tomorrow, Wednesday in Alexandria, VA (old town). Will you be going as well?
BluAngL83
BluAngL83

Number of posts : 851
Registration date : 2009-06-22

http://www.heavenlyfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectrum Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:11 pm

Hey blue, I live in the Virginia Beach area of VA, coastal southeastern VA. I wont be able to come because I work M-F as a medical professional. If it were on a weekend I would have loved to join you guys. To be honest with ya, this is the first I've heard of it. Ive taken a few classes but they were on such a beginner level that it wasn't worth my investment in that aspect (except my very fist one, of course). I do like to meet the people though. I had a sleep over with the wolfe brothers one time, pulled almost an all-nighter and that was incredible. I just do face and body art as a side gig on the weekends...it's just supplemental income and something fun for me to do. Let me know how it turns out though, I bet you all are going to have an incredible time. Alexandria is just a hop, skip and a jump from me actually.

I want to try to do a jam sometime, but I don't know how to go about doing it with somehow avoiding the people who come with the "I don't want to share my ideas and methods" mentality. I would want everyone to come that was willing to learn but also everyone who was willing to share. Does that make any sense? haha. It's just hard to do it with the people in the area because they know you are their direct competition and even though that's true it seems to suck all the fun out of it. I respect all the people who share so much, in person and youtube. If all the people stopped sharing, learning would take such a rapid decline. I hope you have fun, I've never met Pashur but I've seen his work in Illusion and he's awesome.
Spectrum
Spectrum

Back to top Go down

Post by jumpers4you Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:21 pm

Spectrum wrote: ...I had a sleep over with the wolfe brothers one time, pulled almost an all-nighter and that was incredible....

I want to try to do a jam sometime, but I don't know how to go about doing it with somehow avoiding the people who come with the "I don't want to share my ideas and methods" mentality. I would want everyone to come that was willing to learn but also everyone who was willing to share. Does that make any sense? haha. It's just hard to do it with the people in the area because they know you are their direct competition and even though that's true it seems to suck all the fun out of it. I respect all the people who share so much, in person and youtube. If all the people stopped sharing, learning would take such a rapid decline. I hope you have fun, I've never met Pashur but I've seen his work in Illusion and he's awesome.

Ahhh.. I loved meeting and jamming with the Wolfe brothers. And it's funny you brought up the 'sharing ideas and methods' because I had a nice long discussion with Nick and Brian one night on the same topic as a painter in another state and I were apparently butting heads over an idea. Too bad I'm not closer or I would love to jam with you. I guess I am lucky that I live in an area with a lot of fantastic painters who are not threatened by helping each other out with an idea, a "look" or even sharing gigs. It's a shame that so many people are "hoarders" (and I'm totally using Nick's term here) because by sharing our ideas it only makes us all better which helps the industry as a whole. And they also made a great point that there is absolutely nothing in this world that anyone can think up that someone else hasn't already done. You just don't know about it yet. Brian made a fantastic point that nothing that anyone does can take away who you are. I can't hurt you, you can't hurt me -- you still have your painting abilities, I still have mine -- regardless of whether someone is out there copying your ideas or even stealing your identity. You are doing what you love and that won't change. You're still going to wake up and paint the next day, life goes on. It was a great discussion. Wink

As far as the trinkets... we also rent inflatable bounce houses so our average party where they also do face painting is around $400. Even if the parents do not approve of the contents of the goody bags, the thought is what counts - and through surveys that we conduct online after the party is over, it has been proven that the little trinkets meant a lot, which adds to our customer service and client relationships. We might not get the party next year because of new themes, etc, but you would be amazed at how many company events we get through individuals that have hired us, along with family reunions, etc, that have nothing to do with the child at the original event. With so many people out there offering the same or similar services, something has to set you apart! People will talk - and if they are impressed enough, they'll offer your name without being asked by their friends first!
jumpers4you
jumpers4you

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2009-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectrum Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:45 pm

Jumpers4you, it's like you stepped into my head read what I was thinking and posted it here word for word. A couple people brought up that they wouldnt want to have a face painter return the following year because they dont want the same theme for their child. I was also wondering when did a face painter become a "theme"....I would want one at my party no matter what the theme was...the painter doesnt have anything to do with it...no matter where the party is. Thats almost like saying, no cake this year....we had cake last year....new theme....this year everyone gets yummy sugar-free jello, dig in! I've never really considered myself a theme.

It's so hard to convey messages clearly on here and I do appreciate you taking the time to post your ideas....we are on the same track! I never let the people who dont share my enthusiasm about my ideas get to me...but I'd be fibbin' if I said I dont love it when I find someone on my same page! Now, when are you moving to Virginia, I sure could use your help! lol - Smile I never thought when I initially posted this thread that it would get sooooo many responses, I guess I'm a good conversation starter, to say the least.

Nick and Brian are both awesome....they feed off each other and are hilarious company. Considering there what I would call celebrity status in the industry, they've yet to lose site of who they are and are so down to earth and friendly. They are great role models and mentors. I'm always willing to share, lend a hand, answer a question or anything else I can do for another person, especially a fellow artist and that's the philosophy they've built their entire career around.

Thanks so much for your comment, you made my night. Smile
Spectrum
Spectrum

Back to top Go down

Post by Fun Frog Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:13 pm

After reading every post from start to finsh, I'll now have my say. Very Happy
Walking through Big W store the other day and found AU$1 toys. They had small soft toy FROGS!!! and jumping frog games. After digging thorugh every box I ended up with all the frogs they had. As my name suggests FROGs are my logo. So every birthday child gets a birthday card and FROG when I first arrive. Helps break the ice when the childs thinking, "Who are you? Oh a present! Great!" then I paint them first.
Total cost to me about AU$2 per party. The math, AU$75 for the hour - $2 = $73 + they have a cute toy to reminder them of the FROG lady! + happy child and parent. Can't beat that for good cheap word-of-mouth advertising.
Works for me anyway. Laughing
Fun Frog
Fun Frog

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-05-17

http://www.funfrogfacepainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mika's Creations2 Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:44 am

From a business perspective I don't think it's wise to take essentially take $10-$15 cut to buy your client a gift. However, I do think it's a great idea to make that child feel special on that day. Perhaps with a balloon twisted crown or tiara. A couple of balloons won't hurt you financially as much as a $10-$15 cut from your pay. flower

YIKES ( ^ Was posted before i read all the other pages) Very Happy
Mika's Creations2
Mika's Creations2

Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2011-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:22 am

even with my "expensive" giveaways totalling 50 cents per kid, it's still only a max of $5-$10 and I include it in the price that I charge. It's not an extra, it's part of the package. I don't give them out at PPF and often not even at hourly events... it's pretty much a private party thing. But how much better is a colouring book with all my info on it (that might end up on the fridge for months) than a business card that will likely get lost in a day or so?
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by SuzySparkles Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:31 am

I don't know if I have weighed in on this conversation... I am too lazy to go back through all of the old text... Anyhow, for the birthday boy/girl I give them a special glitter tattoo before I start painting... they always feel just a little extra special. Linda Adams makes these for me...

Present for the BIRTHDAY kid - Page 3 Img_1410
SuzySparkles
SuzySparkles

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuli* Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:32 am

I'm a giver as well but also a student that needs to pay for school & bills, so I take them balloons with a HUGE pin button that says "its my birth day" they love it!
Tuli*
Tuli*

Number of posts : 353
Registration date : 2011-05-24

http://www.dazzlingfaces.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:52 am

I do the same as Suzy... a glitter tattoo and, if it's a girl's party, I also add lots of extra bling to her design. Very Happy
Miss Ronnie
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Kat's FacesForFun Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:05 pm

Wow. Topic really didn't seem that heated to me.
I have to say, the experienced posters on here always have good intentions when they chime in. It's about all offering our opinions so that you can potentially reconsider your own business. I know that I have changed a LOT of things I was doing with my business after I got to the forum because the postings helped to change my perspective on things.

When i read your original post I thought to myself, "hmm, a gift. Cute idea. Maybe I will try that." Of course we all appreciate ideas. Then, I read how much you spent and thought "Wowsa!" Not the idea of a gift that people were reacting to, I don't think. It's the amount spent. Yikes. $15 would cut my profit in HALF (at least). I think people were so opinionated because we all care about each other on here and don't want to see anyone make a choice that doesn't make good business sense. So... they were giving a different perspective. Perry.... that coloring book is GENIUS and if you REALLY want to make one for me... I would LOVE IT! I am trying to develop my clown party right now. Maybe we can trade something. I will PM you.
Kat's FacesForFun
Kat's FacesForFun

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2011-09-12

http://www.facepaintingkat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PerfectlyPaintedFaces Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:30 pm

I looove the idea of giving the birthday boy/girl a glitter tattoo! I might have to get some custom stencils too! Does anyone have any recommendations on where to get them?

I just started doing mica tattoos, and of course, nobody in my city has ever heard of anything like that... so putting one on the birthday kid (to show off to their friends, mommies, daddies...) is a great idea to me. People could actually SEE what they are, and maybe next time they hire me, they'll want mica tattoos too! Brilliant.

As for the original topic, I've never done anything really special for the birthday kid. This probably sounds terrible, but half the time I don't even KNOW who the birthday kid is. There's so many little kiddies running around, and the parents are running around too, so unless the birthday kid is wearing something special it's hard to tell who's who. I think I might add a section to my booking form to include the name/age/gender of the birthday kid so I can do something extra special for them, whether it be just a more elaborate design or a tat.
PerfectlyPaintedFaces
PerfectlyPaintedFaces

Number of posts : 882
Registration date : 2011-11-03

http://www.perfectlypaintedfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MasterpieceFacePainting Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:09 pm

When i read your original post I thought to myself, "hmm, a gift. Cute idea. Maybe I will try that."

My thoughts exactly! I wouldn't spend $10-15 on it... Maybe 50p-£1... But I like the idea.
MasterpieceFacePainting
MasterpieceFacePainting

Number of posts : 509
Registration date : 2011-11-11

http://www.masterpiecefacepainting.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:57 pm

haha... working on someone else's colouring page again made me want to play around with a new one for me... here's my new cover picture Very Happy

Present for the BIRTHDAY kid - Page 3 Perrycolour2
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Kat's FacesForFun Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:32 am

Very cute Perry!
Kat's FacesForFun
Kat's FacesForFun

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2011-09-12

http://www.facepaintingkat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:47 am

What I learned from reading this is the birthday kid likes a gift, and we should market ourselves in the gift.

From now on, I will arrive with a birthday CARD....the kid gets a physical "gift", the parents get a taste of my drawing skills, and I can put my business info on the inside.....

I'll print up a batch on nice paper I already have a bunch of from staples, using my own artwork on the cover.....this way I won't arrive empty handed.  Some kids are really good about momentous and some parents might actually display the cards even after the party.....score.

I feel like hired help when I arrive....I set up, I paint, I interact...but after the kids take off painted, they don't come back cuz they are busy playing pretend with each other.the other parents make their way towards me for compliments, background history, and business cards...And to show me pictures they took Smile
many times, I AM the birthday gift, so I don't feel weird being empty handed arriving, but I like the idea of leaving something less temporary behind.I'll do this from now on.
nikkili26
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by TinafromNY Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:00 am

I charge extra for gems and bling but I always do it free on the birthday girl to make them special.  I have thought about buying those cute little tiaras or crowns in the dollar store for the girls.  However I'm stumped for the boys.  But I'm going to think about this, as I DO think it's a good marketing tool to make the parents remember you.  However, I totally agree with Shannon, I would not do a $10-15 gift, too much.  I was thinking the same thing, that it would be like 10% of the party cost, too much to me, it DOES add up too fast.  But this whole thread has made me think...I'm going to figure out a cheap way to do a little something for the birthday kids too.
TinafromNY
TinafromNY

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2012-07-05

http://www.facefanaticfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TinafromNY Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:02 am

Maybe those little "Birthday award" pins/ribbons from the dollar store? Or a great fake tattoo? Kid love those
TinafromNY
TinafromNY

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2012-07-05

http://www.facefanaticfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by VictoriaS Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:39 pm

I used to get $1 gifts from the Michaels dollar bins that matched what the kid was into. As I got busier I stopped doing this. I also stopped going into Michaels as much. I might get into it again. BUT, I might go for something from the place I get my party crafts from instead.
VictoriaS
VictoriaS

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2011-11-16

http://www.biggrinsfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Face Painting by Jessica Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:50 am

I used to bring a small bucket of Michael's toys also. Then kids started getting upset because they couldn't choose a gift and the birthday kid would take 15 minutes to pick something out.

Plus it was an extra thing to carry. I'm thinking I'll add the gift thing into my Princess Package... some nail files, fun pencils, mini diaries..

Nothing more than $1 at most. And I'll probably post it as an added $5 charge for up to 10 girls.
Face Painting by Jessica
Face Painting by Jessica

Number of posts : 644
Registration date : 2012-04-12

http://www.facepaintingbyjessica.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next