Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you paint your face to hand out business cards?

+17
iowahenna
sweetdesigninc
MelodyFPL
Ruth
ChangingFaceDesigns
michellesfantasyfaces
Annette
Daizy
chicneek
TheSparklingLady
Perry Noia
Amanda
Psalmbook
estelle
BarbieSmith
AngieAnders
By These Hands
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Do you paint your face to hand out business cards? Empty Do you paint your face to hand out business cards?

Post by By These Hands Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:46 pm

I was just wondering if anyone paints their face when they go out to promote their business? Is it too informal or not. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!
By These Hands
By These Hands

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2010-09-23

Back to top Go down

Do you paint your face to hand out business cards? Empty Re: Do you paint your face to hand out business cards?

Post by AngieAnders Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:26 pm

I don't typically go on card-handing-out trips, but I'll chime in anyway. Very Happy I have an ironic hatred of having my own face painted. LOL. I occasionally paint something small at the corner of my eyes for a working gig, but otherwise I never paint myself.
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Do you paint your face to hand out business cards? Empty Re: Do you paint your face to hand out business cards?

Post by Guest Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:19 am

I, unlike Angie, will paint myself at the drop of the hat! But I generally don't make the rounds painted - I tend to work painted and hand out cards then, and my car is "painted" for me!

Back to top Go down

Post by BarbieSmith Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:41 am

I did exactly that - went to some places with brochures and cards. But the only reason I went at that time was BECAUSE I was *already* painted (doesn't happen often!). It really helps in our area, because many folks have still not seen our level of painting yet. And are "wowed".

If you are in a location where great face painting is common, I would say no need, though it can only ADD to your appeal if you do. If you are in a location like mine, it is important!

Also, in addition to showing your abilities, I think it shows your fun side (important if you will be working with kids), your willingness to "play along" and provide entertainment, and your commitment to your art.

Barbie
BarbieSmith
BarbieSmith

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2010-07-02

http://www.SweetScentsCandles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by estelle Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:25 am

I always make up when I paint in a protest, yesterday I got a butterfly rainbow , children (and some parents) were very impressed and very much appreciated, I've had congratulations .. . it is a way to play the game and show that it is not only for children...
estelle
estelle

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2010-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:42 pm

I don't paint myself for planned trips, but I've stopped at the store before or after a gig & always give my card at any opportunity. I get tons of attention & one lady thought I'd tattooed my face... OWE! Very Happy
October is a fun month because it's the only time that people don't think you're too weird!
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:05 pm

I worked at our local zoo this summer and would paint myself there to drum up more business, then would inevitably have to stop at the store on the way home for something. I didn't think to try to hand out cards at the time, but mostly people either pretended they didn't see me, or would laugh and hurry around a corner. Maybe the people in my local grocery stores are just a bunch of stick in the muds, but I never got much interaction from anyone but the check out person. Hopefully you have better luck!
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-07-10

http://www.elaborateeyes.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:29 pm

well.... I have had to go shopping or do some running around in clown, but haven't had many people asking for cards while I did.... I've also gone out to dinner with my face painted, again, odd results....

The best results I've had are actually when I bring my kids somewhere with me and THEIR faces are painted. Something about the cute factor I think. People ask where they got their beautiful face painting and they say MOMMY!!! Here's a card.

All that being said, you SHOULD be giving out your card every day every where you go... talk to EVERYONE about what you do. Leave them in odd places for people to find... I keep 160 balloons and a mini pump in my purse to make little monkeys with a card in their hands and leave them places. Wink
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSparklingLady Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:41 pm

Perry YOU LOOK SO ADORABLE IN THAT AVATAR!! Smile

Great idea about the monkeys WITH the card ... Today I had balloons but I forgot my mini pump and it was SO awful!! I cannot for the life of me blow up a 260 using my lungs. ZERO!! Does anyone else have that problem? I ordered a balloon pump (the red one with 3 nozzles from http://balloonsfast.com/ ). That way I can really work on balloons and not hand pumping. I ALWAYS blow up lots of balloons BEFORE a gig, and I hand my cards out EVERY MINUTE before and after a gig! Smile
TheSparklingLady
TheSparklingLady

Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2010-04-03

http://www.thesparklinglady.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:21 pm

wow seriously? that's an expensive pump... mine costs $3.... I wouldn't inflate them with my mouth even if I could, who wants a balloon covered in spit? gross!
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Back to top Go down

Post by By These Hands Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:13 pm

You guys gave some funny responses. I went to store after a gig with my face painted. Some people looked at me like I was crazy. This one lady commented that my painting was very good. She asked who did it and I said myself. Then she paused, looked at me and said, " So you just paint yourself and walk around all the time?" (with this confused look on her face). I had to laugh but it was a good opportunity to explain what I do and hand out my card.

I have another question. I've been to gigs where other people want to take my picture and take a picture of the faces I have done? How do you guys respond to that?
By These Hands
By These Hands

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2010-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:26 pm

Usually if they ask if it is okay to take a photo I say yes. If they don't and I notice that they are taking LOTS I will ask them to stop as unless they are the parent or family of who I am painting they don't have permission.

The news photogs usually ask if it is okay.

And people's response to me painted - generally they smile or ask where I got it or did I do it... it's a small town and they are used to me or see my car around.

Back to top Go down

Post by chicneek Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:21 am

I don't mind if people take my picture in the same way Shannon said there have been a few times when some random person just wanted to take pix of kids they didn't know and the parents said no. Of course, families take lots of pix and if I'm in the pix I'll smile and they will remember me if they see me again.
I do stop at grocery stores etc. when I'm still painted from a gig (usually in neighbouring towns and cities. I get a lot of smiles, make eye contact with a lot of shy little ones, sometimes people ask me questions, sometimes teenage boys shyly smile, sometimes goth type-girls tell me how cool my make-up is. I live in a town with just 1200 people so around here I think they just expect me to be painted once in a while.
chicneek
chicneek

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2009-07-24

http://danicafaceart.homestead.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Daizy Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:27 am

I always forget I have my face painted after gigs, so everyone has seen me with my face painted. You do get looked at a lot Razz People are recognizing me though, it helps when they actually see me painting and put 2 and 2 together.

I love taking my girls out with their faces painted. I local grocery store have seen almost every single face paint (thats where the girls are often rewarded with treats after sitting still so long) I think they are often just sitting waiting for us to come in. They have put up a few posters for us too Smile
Daizy
Daizy

Number of posts : 860
Registration date : 2010-09-02

http://www.daizydesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Annette Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:46 am

I have the most success in handing out my cards when my girls are painted. I have three of them and they never stop talking. lol! So, when we are out and about, we create quite a commotion and it's hard to not notice us.

Annette

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-10-04

http://www.facestofollow.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by michellesfantasyfaces Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:57 am

I most of the time paint my face when I got a gig...or an eyedesign....most girls want what i have then! Smile I wear my paint with pride and really don't care if people laugh behind my back...and indeed sometimes they ask if I did it myself and tell that it looks beautiful...and if they ask, which they mostly do, they can take a picture...
michellesfantasyfaces
michellesfantasyfaces

Number of posts : 3190
Registration date : 2010-02-18

http://www.fantasyfaces.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:14 am

pictures are another story altogether... I am ALWAYS getting asked if people can take their picture with me, but that's a clown thing I think. clown
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:34 am

Perry Noia wrote:wow seriously? that's an expensive pump... mine costs $3.... I wouldn't inflate them with my mouth even if I could, who wants a balloon covered in spit? gross!

I love the idea of the card & the monkey! No, I don't blow balloons up w/ my mouth. After hearing you can accidentally get a bubble in your lungs(like the bends) I decided a hand pump was just fine.... and spit is gross. Razz
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:28 pm

I have done it on ocassion before, but especially during the month of Oct. I have gotten so many inquires about my designs and have handed out a ton of business cards. I have booked 4 jobs alone just by going into different Spirit Halloween stores with my face done. Two jobs came from people who work for the store......go figure all that access to mask and make-up and costumes and they prefer face painting. I have gotten bookings from being in Michaels and A.C. Moore.

The library did a haunted house for the kids. I went with my face painted and they asked me about doing other events for them.

I don't mind it, it doesn't bother or embarrass me to do it.

There's a saying I have heard "The Best Advertisement is to Wear Your Own Stuff"
ChangingFaceDesigns
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruth Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:31 pm

I dont like or cant really paint myself but yesterday I did a pretty swirls n curls with rhinestones eye design on my sis and we went to a couple of stores with her painted, it actually was great because people stoped to ask where she got it done. She proudly said my sis and they asked for business cards handed 2 out because they asked not that I pushed or anything so I think it was cool and would def do it again.
Ruth
Ruth

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2010-11-07

http://www.wix.com/delightfulcreations/byruth

Back to top Go down

Post by MelodyFPL Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:15 pm

I don't paint myself but I do paint my daughter any time we go somewhere. She delights in handing out cards too, it's fun and people seem to dig it.
MelodyFPL
MelodyFPL

Number of posts : 943
Registration date : 2011-07-02

http://www.nyfacepaintlady.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdesigninc Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:17 am

I tend to paint my arms....a lot! and yes I go to stores that way. Doesn't bother me. My local Publix (grocery store) checkers (atleast the ones i regularly check out with) are "amazed" that I can paint myself and paint both arms (a little ambidextrous). I send my daughter (she will be 22 this saturday Oy!) to the store with painted arms as well. Doesn't hurt and it is "free" advertising. I occasionally paint my face at my booth but here in the heat of Florida I just melt, heat from within meets heat from without and equals a huge mess LOL.
sweetdesigninc
sweetdesigninc

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2012-06-11

Back to top Go down

Post by iowahenna Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:01 pm

I am always painted up in henna, glitter and colorini! My small town knows me pretty well and people actually say it is odd when i DONT have something painted on me! I always keep five cards in my wallet and if someone really asks, i tell them. It isn't so much the parents as it is the kids who ask (especially of the glitter).

I also paint myself up especially if i know i am going some where with a lot of people... i have no shame what so ever HAHAH! i make it match my outfits as much as possible... i make sure to go loaded with lots of business cards so i can pass them out...

i have found it works great! even if it is a trip to the mall. or grocery store or anywhere...
iowahenna
iowahenna

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2013-04-17

https://www.facebook.com/iowahenna

Back to top Go down

Post by Lacey's Faces Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:37 pm

The only time i'm out and about with my face painted is before or after a gig, half the time i forget i'm painted and wonder why people are staring at me, i just smile and walk on by lol, BUT i paint my kids ALL the time to go shopping or the park. I even painted my daughter to go apartment shopping since we're moving to a bigger town and the ladies in the office just oogled over her for at least a half hour, now when i go in to check on the apartment they say, oh look! the face painter is here!lol I have handed out so many cards because of that. People seem more willing to ask about the painting if it's on little kids than just an adult walking around with a butterfly or something on their face lol.
Lacey's Faces
Lacey's Faces

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2012-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Creabella Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:01 pm

michellesfantasyfaces wrote:I most of the time paint my face when I got a gig...or an eyedesign....most girls want what i have then! Smile I wear my paint with pride and really don't care if people laugh behind my back...and indeed sometimes they ask if I did it myself and tell that it looks beautiful...and if they ask, which they mostly do, they can take a picture...

I think and feel the same way!
Creabella
Creabella

Number of posts : 1218
Registration date : 2012-11-02

https://www.creabellafaceart.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next