Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

need practise (and marketing)... local park a good/bad idea?

+13
rthling
TheGildedCat
vivi_o7
earthorange
Terina
Donna Davis
Tash
ChangingFaceDesigns
Judy
Bec
Psalmbook
Perry Noia
BarbieSmith
17 posters

Go down

need practise (and marketing)... local park a good/bad idea? Empty need practise (and marketing)... local park a good/bad idea?

Post by BarbieSmith Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:10 am

Hi all, thank you for the warm welcome and the helpful critiques thus far, they are really appreciated....

Question: I would like some more practice. My own kids and neighborhood kids have been great, but I would like to simulate the "pressure" you have when you have a line-up and when you have parents hovering. I think (actually: know!) that I need this kind of practice, and I can think of a local playground that would be ideal for a "freebie" session (unadvertised... I would just show up). This would be less stressful to me than a restaurant gig (which would be next in my practice schedule)... yet would still provide the stress I need to practice with, I think...

I am guessing the 2 things I would need: insurance and permission from the parks & rec board. My question: is there anything else I might be missing when I weigh whether this is a good idea?

Thanks so much!
Barbie

ps: I searched everywhere for how to change my avatar photo and just cannot figure it out... help?

BarbieSmith
BarbieSmith

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2010-07-02

http://www.SweetScentsCandles.com

Back to top Go down

need practise (and marketing)... local park a good/bad idea? Empty Re: need practise (and marketing)... local park a good/bad idea?

Post by Perry Noia Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:01 pm

I know at least around here... good luck getting permission. Yes, you will need permission, but I can't imagine that you'd get it. You're at least going to want to be giving out your cards and probably getting tips (solicited or not), so I doubt if the park would just say, "sure come on in!"

If you can get permission, it might be a good thing, it might not. I'd plan to have someone there with you so you can avoid being harassed and definitely have insurance... but then, if you're just getting started and not sure if this is all going to pan out, insurance is an expensive investment. I didn't have any insurance my first year doing it, just to make sure it was going to work out first. But it's one thing to paint at private parties without insurance and an entirely different thing to be busking in a park without insurance.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

need practise (and marketing)... local park a good/bad idea? Empty Re: need practise (and marketing)... local park a good/bad idea?

Post by Guest Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:26 pm

Yes, you will need permission to paint at a community park. Some places there is no fee - I used to work at a city park and the permits were free BUT businesses did need to pay if they were making money.

You would need insurance too if you are painting the public.

What I would suggest is that you could offer your services to a summer camp or daycamp through your local parks and recreation programs. I did that early on - I painted all the campers and was able to take photos of the painting in exchange.

They got a free fun activity, I got in some practise and lots of photos of designs I wanted to use in my display.

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:07 pm

I don't know if it's legal, but I showed up at parks w/ my kit, my son & my teen daughter(to watch him) & just painted. I always made sure it was ok w/ the mom before painting a child & when I explained what I was doing, why & they got my card, they were fine w/ it. This was was early on in my face painting career before I thought of things like insurance, etc. I don't advise it, but it worked for me, got me some pics. If you do choose to do it, make sure you have a list of designs you need pictures of or you'll end up w/ tons of spidey guys & butterflies. Usually, if I say, "I really need practice on this design, can I do it on you?" the kids are fine w/ it.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Bec Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:50 pm

I'm painting this month at a local crisis nursery. They were thrilled when i called and asked. Alot of the employees are bringing in their own kids too.
Bec
Bec

Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2010-05-25

http://www.bbeautifulfacepaint.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Judy Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:40 pm

I painted for free at the Alberta Birds of Prey Centre. They don't have special events or big fundraisers so I knew I wouldn't be taking $ from other painters who charge. I told them I would put out a tip jar and donate the proceeds to the Centre.... they jumped at the chance. It was great.... painted for a couple of hours under the trees among the birds and donated over $70 to the centre. Besides, Mr. Bogle (one of the resident Great Horned Owls) was mesmerized by me and the paintings on the kids' faces! A good laugh for everyone , I got some much needed practice in, handed out some cards, plus it made me feel good knowing that I was helping the critters out!
Judy
Judy

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-08-01

http://www.facefx.info

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:47 pm

I have been painting in parks for the last five years with no permission as I don't solicit or charge anything. That is where I started out painting on children in the parks. As long as they had an adults permission to be painted I did. Even today when I take my daughter to the park I will take my paints. I start off painting myself but always end up with a line of kids. It's gotten so now the kids recognize me when they see me out at other places......lolol The first thing out of there mouth is ...when are you going to be back at the park again.
ChangingFaceDesigns
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BarbieSmith Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:12 pm

Thanks so much everyone! And duh- I never thought of volunteering somewhere where they have kids in need! And my neighbor runs the local playground program for the summer - I think she would be so grateful!

I really appreciate the input, you guys are great.
Thanks,
Barbie
BarbieSmith
BarbieSmith

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:12 pm

Hi Barbie,
go to your profile and there will be some tabs at the top of the box - one of them should say avatar.
You can change it there - can't remember if it needs to be resized though...
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BarbieSmith Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:09 pm

Tash, thanks for the avatar help! Smile
BarbieSmith
BarbieSmith

Back to top Go down

Post by Donna Davis Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:16 am

I appreciate all your opinions! I love this forum and am new to it. I've been teaching high schoolers to face paint for years. I bring my class to preschools to practice. Everyone wins! I have insurance. No preschool has ever refused to let me come. In addition, the little children are my target market. I bring cards, too.

Donna Davis

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Terina Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:02 am

I know that in TN, you are not supposed to make any money in a park. Wish they sold the permits here that Shannon mentioned. You can do free things but with permission. It is very had to get people to call you back. I have tried it several times and it never seemed to go anywhere in my particular city that is.

what about a day care? There are plenty of kids there. Or even a group home would work. I think that might be a nice treat for some kids that may be feeling sad.
Terina
Terina

Number of posts : 616
Registration date : 2010-09-27

http://www.royalmagicevents.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BarbieSmith Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:34 am

By the way, over 1/2 year later, I want to mention that painting in the park while my daughters are playing is a HUGE payoff for me. If I had to estimate I would say that each park trip nets about one birthday party. BUT, here is the bigger payoff, so far almost ALL of my birthday parties have netted MORE birthday parties. So all you need to do is to get that *first* party. And some relaxing painting in the park while your kids are playing is a great way to do it Smile It has really helped me over the winter (I haven't painted in the park since September). I cannot wait until March or so, when it will warm up again, so I can do this again. My girls benefit because I go to the really fun parks, and I do too (fresh air, etc.)

ps: I have only painted in the park maybe 6-7 times. That was enough to get the ball rolling for me...
BarbieSmith
BarbieSmith

Back to top Go down

Post by earthorange Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:10 am

So now I'm confused...I was contacted by someone in a parenting group that I met last year to paint at a picnic in September. I know she wanted me to do it for free...I went on the advice of the threads here about painting for free and whether it's a good idea and since I've only made back part of what I've put out so far for my business, so it seemed good sense to offer a nominal fee (esp. since I'd have to travel for it and find childcare). I guess it's just a personal call as to whether the potential exposure would be worth it?
earthorange
earthorange

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2010-08-23

http://www.peoplepaint.net

Back to top Go down

Post by vivi_o7 Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:25 am

I f you are beginign is expensive, you will need permition, I don't know witch office in your area, but here in NY you need the consumer affairs temporary sales tax non-food vendor permition, to do that in the street, and that minds extra taxes to pay (because this are diferent from the taxes we pay in april) also need ensurance, so if is just for practice I am agree with many of you guys here, when I was begining I enroled as a volunter in my daughter's school, so they had a school fair and belive me! it will be a long line, even you can speack with the summer program person in charge at your local school to do it, I hope it helps! pirat
vivi_o7
vivi_o7

Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2011-02-11

http://fancydesigns.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by vivi_o7 Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:31 am

I got my "firts" birthday party show, by posting a flyer at my kids pediatrics office, then I serch for all the costume halloween stores at the city and live my flyers and b-cards, then I got my second one, and then they just ask your cards, and is like a chain, " I was at ???? b-day and she told me about you, you give me your bussiness card at that party, etc" ones I was buying my son b-day supplies at a party store, give my card to a lady, and 2 days latter I had a gig, just make noise about you, move around and you will be promoting your self!!! Very Happy
vivi_o7
vivi_o7

Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2011-02-11

http://fancydesigns.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by earthorange Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:18 pm

Thanks, Vivi! So many great ideas. I think we're actually very close to each other; I'm in Forest Hills.
earthorange
earthorange

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2010-08-23

http://www.peoplepaint.net

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:22 pm

Check your city's busking laws. I live in a city with very liberal busking laws, but I cannot busk in most public parks, but sidewalks are fine, lol. I can set up down by our waterfront and paint all day long without harassment. Frankly, when I was starting, I also painted in public parks for practice and pics. I had minimal equipment with me, so it looked like I was just practicing, not opening shop. Had I been asked to stop, I would have. Sometimes it's easier to say "I'm sorry" then "please may I have a permit."
TheGildedCat
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:51 pm

I take my paints to church events now and then and the kids just line up. I never charge, just practice and take pictures.
rthling
rthling

Number of posts : 1830
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Skidzz Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:44 pm

earthorange wrote:So now I'm confused...I was contacted by someone in a parenting group that I met last year to paint at a picnic in September. I know she wanted me to do it for free...I went on the advice of the threads here about painting for free and whether it's a good idea and since I've only made back part of what I've put out so far for my business, so it seemed good sense to offer a nominal fee (esp. since I'd have to travel for it and find childcare). I guess it's just a personal call as to whether the potential exposure would be worth it?

This thread is talking more about practice and painting in the park. When you are asked to paint for free at an event, be it birthday party or a big fundraising event, you are setting yourself up for a pattern of 'well you painted blah blah's event for free' and the public will expect you to do A LOT MORE events for free!! At the very least tell them you need your materials covered, or want tip jar available to cover costs. If its a charity you want to support, then ask for a donation reciept with how much it would of cost them, then at least you can claim it on taxes, and you look like the good guy donating your services.

Now painting in the park... be very careful!!! In my local park its illegal to even "advertise" your services. If I were to paint in my park, they will involve the police very quickly, because its "vending services" even if it were free. I wouldn't be able to give out cards or anything, because its vending. Its a city ordinance. You can go to a bunch of places for practice. You can go to your local domestic violence shelter, once a week... or a local homeless shelter, or offer to paint once a month at a after school program, make sure they advertise in their weekly or monthly newsletter. Just make sure if you want it to be a temporary situation then make sure they know you have full control of when you will paint, or how long (months, years, etc... ) BTW- if you do paint at the DV shelter, or homeless shelter, you can get a donated services receipt for that too. The only thing is because of the nature of the DV shelter you might not get to take pictures. Sometimes if the news happens to hear about it after you have been doing it for a while you can get a little free advertising... Smile

The only thing is you need to be careful about your particular city ordinances, and laws. But good luck to all of you!! Smile
Skidzz
Skidzz

Number of posts : 499
Registration date : 2010-07-10

http://www.facepaintingcolorado.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole @ Face-a-Rama Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:45 am

Try your local boys and girls club for practice also. Homeless shelters always need a smile too.
Nicole @ Face-a-Rama
Nicole @ Face-a-Rama

Number of posts : 225
Registration date : 2011-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post by jennvangogh Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:07 am

So if you were to have a picnic or party at a park and you hired a painter there it would be okay right? What if that party got the attention of the other kids playing... could you not do a few for a few bucks? Where do they draw the line exactly? I know I have handed out cards at the parks I have worked at for other events. People see the faces and come looking for contact info. Maybe have a private function in a public park and then it could be all legit. You could just paint yourself and your kids throw a picnic and voila instant advertising. Just a thought...

Today I even painted my kid and my daycare kid up and then went shopping handed out one card and got lots of compliments and a few people asked about it as well. Free advertising... just swing by a local toys r us..LOL Who needs a park! Smile
jennvangogh
jennvangogh

Registration date : 2011-07-13

https://www.facebook.com/jennthefacepainter

Back to top Go down

Post by jennvangogh Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:07 am

Rec centers hire for summer camps too if you need practice that might be a good place to get pics!
jennvangogh
jennvangogh

Registration date : 2011-07-13

https://www.facebook.com/jennthefacepainter

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:04 pm

I did like Psalmbook when I first started...just picked a neighborhood that was lower middle-class where I practiced on my kids lst....and just followed up on other kids' requests to be done as long as they had mom's permission. It was fun!
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down